Emmys
Emmy Nominations

Emmy Nominations 2015: My Snappy Judgements

The 2015 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, both thrilling and maddening. For every inspired nod (congrats, Tatiana!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (no nomination for Eva Green?! Nothing for Jane the Virgin?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* Tatiana Maslany! At long last!
* The Academy making history by nominating two deserving African-American actresses Empire‘s Taraji P. Henson and How to Get Away With Murder‘s Viola Davis — in the lead actress drama category.
* Bloodline breakout Ben Mendelsohn scoring a supporting actor nod.
* Will Forte getting recognized for Last Man on Earth.
* The best drama series nod for Homeland‘s resurgent fourth season.
* The best comedy nomination for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. And the supporting mentions for Titus Burgess and Jane Krakowski.
*  Amy Schumer sneaking in for Inside Amy Schumer.
* The underrated Liev Schreiber scoring his first (?!) nomination ever for Showtime’s equally underrated Ray Donovan.
* Lisa Kudrow scoring a nod for her revelatory work in The Comeback.
* All the nods for Better Call Saul. And Transparent.
* Anthony Anderson’s lead actor in a comedy nod for black-ish.
The Niecy Nash love for for HBO’s Getting On.

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* The Newsroom‘s Jeff Daniels stealing that sixth best actor slot from The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys (or Bates Motel’s Freddie Highmore, or Justified‘s Timothy Olyphant).

I’m Super-Pissed About:
Jane the Virgin — and its first-rate cast — getting shut out of the comedy series categories (as I feared).
* Penny Dreadful‘s Eva Green getting the shaft, despite delivering one of the most memorable performances of the year.
* Zero recognition for Outlander‘s underrated leads Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan.
* No Vera Farmiga? That’s psycho!
* The absence of anyone from HBO’s The Leftovers, especially Carrie Coon.
* Mandy Patinkin getting shut out for his career-best work in Homeland Season 4.
* Justified
failing to score a best drama nod for it’s superbly satisfying final season.
* The Americans getting zilch (save for a writing nod).
* Broad City getting bubkes.
* Nada for Sons of Anarchy‘s perpetually ignored Charlie Hunnam.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. Mike says:

The Americans :(
    Vera :(
    Freddie :(
    Outlander :(

2. All I want was Eva Green. I’m think I’m at least as pissed as you are for her u_u

3. H76T says:

Gina Rodriguez not being nominated is just ughhh. The show deserved to be nominated! Also, Jaime Camill not being nominated is just unacceptable.

4. Joey Padron says:

sad Bates Motel got no Emmy love this year. hope show & actors will get nominated next year.

5. Jessaly says:

Nothing for The Americans, or Outlander, or Penny Dreadful’s Eva Green, or The Leftovers, or The Walking Dead’s Melissa McBride and Andrew Lincoln?!

As psyched as I am to see Tatiana Maslany on the list (finally), one inspired nod doesn’t really help overlook the fact that the Emmy nominations, once again, are predictable as hell. Same song & dance every year – showing just how out of touch the Emmy’s truly are.

6. angelwings1 says:

No Charlie Hunnam = travesty.

7. Amanda says:

I am so excited about Tatiana Maslany but I really wish Eden Cher had finally a nomination

8. Laura says:

Tat :D

9. Mary M says:

I had the same reaction you did about Jeff Daniels. I like him as an actor, but I would have really preferred Rhys (actually, I would’ve been happy with Olyphant too)

• tvjunkie says:

Well he’s on what is basically a liberal propaganda show, so he gets nominated by default, no need to examine the actual work.

10. Mary Murray says:

Quick question Michael, why is the number one show (after 11 “frakkin’ years) still never nominated in any category? It is now the number one show in the world and no nominations?! This many people would not still be watching NCIS if it was poorly written or actors that did not compel you to continue to watch after all these years. Just wondering if the people who truly watch tv matter at all? Thanks Michael.

• Lizo says:

Quantity doesn’t always equal quality. I too get frustrated with the same shows/people getting nominated (there *are* other things on). But there are some shows which aren’t really playing in the same field as others. NCIS is a good show, but it’s not the same as Orphan Black or Orange. It’s great to enjoy shows, but the number of viewers doesn’t equal quality necessarily.

• Linda says:

I agree about NCIS and NCIS LA as well. Full cast mesh so well they keep you watching. My question: Why has Linda Hunt never gotten recognized as Hetty? She is the best.

• Kat Farr says:

RIGHT ON!!!

• cuius says:

Don’t think they give prizes for just turning up and giving a competent performance

• KCC says:

I’m not Michael, but my reasoning is: the Emmys are industry awards. It’s the people in the TV industry that vote and they have a different perspective than the general public. Some might vote for industry political reasons, some might vote for friends and some might vote for a lifetimes work. The people who truly watch TV do not matter in these awards at all. It’s for the people in the industry from the people in the industry. A lot of industries give awards but most people don’t care about the dentist of the year or accountant of the year. I think you’re expecting the Emmys to be the People’s Choice Awards.

• Okay Dude says:

There was many shows I watch (guilty pleasures) where I acknowledge that the acting or the show itself isn’t Emmy-worthy. For instance, I religiously watch under the dome because of how addictive it is, but I think it has the worst actors and awful writing.

11. Kat Farr says:

Except for Empire, NOTHING and no one I watch has been nominated. Guess I am out of the loop as far as TV is concerned!!!

12. Caitlin says:

I’m so thrilled about Tatiana (though she should have had 4 noms for her work), but to skip the incredible Gina Rodriguez is a huge miss for the Emmys.

13. Nick says:

Well I thought Jeff Daniels absolutely deserved a nomination, but I do agree that Matthew Rhys should be nominated.

• Gwen says:

I’ve never seen “The Americans” so I can’t speak to any of those performances. But I do think Jeff Daniels was excellent in “The Newsroom” so I am happy he got a nomination. I wish James Spader would have been nominated for “Blacklist” – no one does “charming menace” as well as he does!

14. Mary M says:

Also, what the heck with Margo Martindale being nominated for The Americans? I don’t think she did anything spectacular this year on the show. Lois Smith would have made a lot more sense.

15. rowena says:

Stoked for Maslany, gutted for Broad City

16. farleyc says:

The Americans and Justified. :-( These shows were amazing this year and every year. Huge bummer.

17. Tiera says:

Disappointed The Mindy Project didn’t get any series or acting noms.

18. Anon says:

Kerry Washington should’ve been nominated instead of the overrated (IMO) Tatiana Maslany.

• Eric7740 says:

I 100% agree!!! Kerry singlehandedly carries that show!!!

• Mike says:

Love Kerry. But if youre talking about “carrying” the show, im sorry to burst your bubble but TATIANA IS THE SHOW. Why she deserves an Emmy = one word = HELENAAAAA! :)

Hoping Taraji would win though. Or Tatiana. :)

• Lizo says:

They should have both been nominated. Kerry does an amazing job, no doubt (Scandal is one of my favourite shows), but to say Tatiana is overrated really undermines your argument…the work she’s doing is nothing short of genius. Very few actors can do what she’s doing.

• sarah says:

No Way…..

• Okay Dude says:

Kerry Washington’s performance was Emmy worthy in a grand total of 1 episode of scandal (the one right after she got kidnapped)

• lol nah says:

If by carry the show you mean plays 3+ characters in a single episode, sometimes just off of one another, then by your definition, Tatiana not only deserved this nomination over Kerry but deserves to win it.

Kerry deserves to be in over Moss, but Tat is in a category all her own.

• John Sheffield (@cubeslave) says:

I can’t agree. Kerry Washington has the chrisma and acting ability to command the screen, but the writers really don’t give her that many things to do to demonstrate her range.

Tatiana Maslany, on the other hand, plays a range of characters so diverse some people have to be convinced it is the same actress playing them all. In most cases, when something like this was done in the past it was obviously the same person with an accent, or a wig and costume change. On ORPHAN BLACK, even when she is acting as one clone impersonating another there are differences in her performance.

19. Beyond pissed for Charlie Hunnam and Justified cast like really are these people blind? Look at the beautiful understated work they created. HBO tons of noms and I’ve never watched a second of their programming. I knew this was going to happen but I’m still pissed. There isn’t a middle finger big enough for these Emmy twits.

20. Joey says:

I was so excited for Tatiana at first that I’d forgotten about Eva Green, but I’m now full of appropriate righteous indignation.

21. ScorpionGlow says:

Penny Dreadful and Justified were ignored, not happy about that. Eva Green deserves the nomination, if nothing else. Three key players on Justified also deserved it, as did the show. Mandy Patinkin broke my heart on Homeland, and I don’t know how that can be ignored.

22. ScorpionGlow says:

I am thrilled for Viola Davis though. She kills it (no pun intended) on HTGAWM.

23. Ethan says:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for Comedy over The Comeback is ridiculous. At least Kudrow is nominated (and she should win).

24. Allison says:

Why didn’t The Goldbergs get nominated instead of Modern Family

• sarah says:

Neither of them deserve the nomination

• Ann says:

Agreed. Modern Family needs to end and go out on a high note. It’s been bad for about 3 seasons now and rapidly declining in quality and humor. It’s a head scratcher to me as to why The Goldbergs is still on the air. The only theory I have on that is that Adam Goldberg must be some big shot in Hollywood and ABC wants to play nice with him and keep him happy.

• Keith says:

The Goldbergs is one of the funniest shows on tv , that’s why it is still on the air

• John Sheffield (@cubeslave) says:

Sorry, but both of them are shows that rely on that cringe and embarrassment style of comedy that just doesn’t do anything for me. I see some good bits on the commercials or YouTube, but I can’t sit through an episode.

I know folks who can’t get enough of the stuff. The more nerves they hit and the closer to home it gets, the better they like it.

• Rrhae says:

So sick of Modern Family.

25. NDfan says:

Justified is the one thats driving me crazy. It was such a fantastic final season and deserved some recognition. I know a lot of people wanted Sons of Anarchy but I actually thought their final season was the first of the series… I was more mad in past seasons.

• NDfan says:

Sorry, that was supposed to be the “worst” of the seasons… I’ll also add Shameless to my list of disappointments.

26. Ashly says:

This has been the most exciting list of Emmy nominees in years. Members of the Academy have finally acquired some taste. I never thought the day would come when Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory were no longer monopolizing the categories.

Nominations I Love: Kyle Chandler, Taraji P. Henson, Parks and Rec, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Amy Schumer, Amy Poehler, Lisa Kudrow, Anthony Anderson, Will Forte, Keegan-Michael Key, Tituss Burgess, Last Week Tonight, Andre Braugher

Nominations I Wanted to See: Community (I know, I live in a fairy world), Jane the Virgin, nominations for other members of the Parks and Rec cast

27. Saladt says:

I would’ve liked to see some sort of recognition for The Flash’s outstanding freshman season.

28. Sapil says:

The fact that Justified got ZERO nominations is just ridiculous. It invalidates the whole thing for me (and I’m so excited for Tatiana, but.)

29. Eric7740 says:

Has a CW/WB show/actor ever been nominated??? In the major categories ever??? No surprise that Gina was not nominated.

30. Vickie K says:

Absolutely agree with you with OUTRAGE for The Americans, Outlander & Justified snubs. I’m also a huge Supernatural fan, and it appalls me the lack of anything for them over the years. The way that Jensen Ackles can convey emotion is mesmerizing.

31. ? says:

Meh, Jim Parsons and the Big Bang Theory are entirely overrated and every one of the nominees on the list deserve to be there more. Not a snub.

32. Eileen says:

What the heck happened to Outlander….really…no acknowlegement at all….REALLY!?

33. zac says:

Dear TV Academy The CW actually has really good shows.

34. Scott I. says:

The biggest snub to me was Eden Shur being overlooked for the underrated ” The Middle.” Yes, there were other deserving actors and shows snubbed as well in all categories but it just seems to me that once a show such as Modern Family or Breaking Bad (not this year thank goodness) or an actor such as Jon Hamm
    or Aaron Paul (to take nothing from either actor) get into the “academy’s” good graces, they never get left out of the nomination process again. It’s very political and just more of the same year after year. I won’t be watching this rerun again this year.

35. SayNay says:

Ugh, Downton Abbey needs to go that easily could have been a spot for The Americans or Outlander. Also if we’re super sizing categories like “supporting actress in a comedy series,” why not do it for everyone. I am thrilled that Tatiana Maslany is finally getting some recognition.

36. Mr. Sunshine says:

I know it’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but Shameless deserved a nod for best comedy. I don’t think I’ve ever watched a show that I’ve been so polarized with by their characters and their actions. I can honestly say I love and hate this show at the same time. And, I’m disappointed that there was no love for Jane the Virgin. :-( And, I agree that Justified was snubbed as well. Where is the love for Rectify? Okay, I’ll stop now.

37. Gerald says:

I’ll be standing by waiting for the People’s Choice Awards and the Teen Awards (even though I am not a teen) because that is when my kind of shows get nominated.
    I do watch The Good Wife, but this year was pretty garbage and I find it funny that Christine Baranski and Alan Cummings even got nominated.
    Happy about Tatiana and Mayim. That is about it.
    Oh and The Amazing Race

38. Caleb says:

No timothy olyphant, joelle carter, or Walton goggins?! Justified gets screwed again. Fantastic show. It even deserved a best drama nomination. Charlie hunnam also. Justified and olive kiteridge led the critics choice awards nominations yet justified gets nothing. Very upset

• JM says:

Excellent point. How can a show (Justified) lead the critics choice nominations and not get a single Emmy nom????? Absolutely ridiculous!

39. Cody says:

How is it possible the entire cast of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt got nominated except the series’ title character (Ellie Kemper)?

40. Holly says:

Tobias Menzies should have got a best supporting actor nomination for Outlander.

41. JennyB says:

What about PARENTHOOD!?! Such a beautiful, well written and acted show. Mindy Project deserved some love also. And would have like to see Matthew Rhys, Mandy Patinkin nominated. Also think Wendy McLendon-Covey from Goldbergs deserved a nod.
    Thrilled for Parks and Rec. Last season wasn’t amazing, but I love the show so much as whole it deserves recognition.
    SO OVER Nurse Jackie, Mad Men, happy they won’t be around to steal awards from deserving people next year.

42. Luis says:

FINALLY!!! FINALLY!!! The demons are skating across the pond in hell, because Tatiana FINALLY got nominated!!!

43. Since says:

Easy there, I’m a fan of The Americans and I’m pooping my pants in rage four years in a row per them no getting Emmy nods (it’s weird, I know), but Jeff Daniels did deserve that nomination… Sadly.

44. buzzsaw says:

Sure the powers to be nominate two blacks for best actress, Good call we cant afford another riot. escuse me “display of civil disobeadience”

45. Spence says:

Severely disappointed in the lack of love for Vera and especially Freddie. Both were phenomenal on Bates this season! Also sad about no love for the Americans..

46. Mike says:

How is it possible that Jim Florentine and Michael Rappaport were both snubbed for their guest shots on Louie?

47. Dude says:

GINA RODRIGUEZ!!!! What the hell Emmys?

48. Margo says:

Its a real shame that the Emmys SHUT OUT Jane the Virgin…I mean not even one nomination…not even for Gina…not for the show altogether!? Is it because it is on the CW! Not right at all. And how did Empire get shut out in the drama category, after it’s record setting ratings. *facepalm*

49. C says:

So excited about Tatiana Maslany!!! And Cookie! Also weirdly gleeful over the lack of Julianna Margulies. Even though I’m sure she could care less – I appreciate this snub after her little split screen finale stunt.