Pretty Little Liars Charles Alive

Pretty Little Liars Recap: I Smell a Rat

Hanna Marin’s always been a bit of a klepto — don’t forget we first saw her swiping sunglasses in the pilot — but grand theft auto? I never thought I’d live to see the day!

It was all part of the girls’ plan to expose Lesli on Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars, a plan that somehow led them to an underground laboratory where they were attacked by a rabid raccoon and its back-up rats. (Snow White’s nightmare, basically.)

The girls were then ambushed by Mona, who insisted that Lesli was never friends with Charles. In fact, she’d only heard his name once, the night he and Bethany Young broke out of Radley. That’s right, kids, Charles was still alive when he checked out of the looney bin — and based on the creepy letter Mr. DiLaurentis found on the hood of his car, I’d say it’s very possible he’s still alive today:

pll-letter

Elsewhere in Rosewood this week…

DEAN’S ADMISSION | Before I continue, I have something of my own to confess: I didn’t even realize Toby was M.I.A. from this week’s episode until Dean mentioned him towards the end of the hour. You know Dean, right? Spencer’s hot sponsor “friend”? He came by to check on her this week, then totally lost it when she blew off her group meeting. “I can’t see you anymore,” he told her. “Every time you’re near me, I want to grab you and kiss you. The fact that you have a boyfriend isn’t the problem; the problem is that I don’t care.” On one hand, it feels pretty icky for Dean to pursue the girl he’s sponsoring — but on the other hand, you’ve got to respect a guy who knows what he wants.

pll-emily-saraEMILARA? SARILY? EITHER WAY, IT’S ON | Speaking of grabbing and kissing, Emily and Sara finally locked lips this week. (I say “finally” because it was bound to happen, not because I actually wanted it to happen.) A cute British friend from Emily’s last humanitarian trip came all the way to Rosewood to recruit her for a summer excursion to Thailand, but Emily was forced to decline because Sara was still too messed up to tag along. “I’ve only known her for a couple of weeks, but it’s been intense,” Emily told her friend, denying that she might have actual feelings for Sara. But you know what they say about denial; there was nothing platonic about that episode-ending smooch.

EZRIA… AGAIN? | After five and a half seasons, I’ve lost track of the number of times Aria and Ezra have gotten back together, but one thing I do know is that I’m totally ready for them to give their relationship another shot. (After all, does Ezra really serve that much of a purpose if he’s not dating her?) After stumbling onto Aria’s photo contest application, he offered to write a recommendation letter — and by “offered,” I mean wrote one and gave it to her without asking. It was sweet, and it seemed like she was totally ready to thank him for his kindness… until she spotted him with some trick at his café. (Damn you, ‘shipping gods, why must you torture us?!)

Your thoughts on this week’s episode? Charles’ impending return? Emily and Sara’s kiss? Drop ’em all in the comments section below.

1. 12HoursEarlier says:

Please discuss Ezra’s shirt.

2. Cornelius says:

A few things to note. It was totally obvious Lesli was a cop out, I have come to the conclusion that Emily is, for lack of a better term, a slut. Mona seems her usual self considering last episode. And how can the girls still be this stupid after 6 years (keep in mind in the show that only counts as about 3 years since they are still in highschool… lol)

• Becka says:

Emily is a slut? That’s just cruel. It’s been a while since she’s been with anyone and she has to have a love interest.

• Carrie says:

She just dated that married woman before they were abducted and she was also kissing Ali very recently. She’s dated more people than any of the other characters. Apparently, there are attractive young lesbians around every corner in Rosewood. Why does she have to have a love interest? These girls have way too much going on in their lives.

• Cornelius says:

Exactly. I did say for lack of a better word cause what else do you call someone who in 3 years time (show timeline) has dated/liked/w.e you call it that many people. Her first boyfriend, Alison, Maya, Paige, Alison again, that married person, and now Sarah.

• Winter says:

How is Emily a slut? She kissed a girl she has a connection with while not having any other significant others. Dating people as she meets them and then not remaining with them doesn’t make her a slut it makes her a person.

3. anonymous says:

Stitchers was Awesome tonight!!! I liked how Cameron was soo jealous of Kirsten’s boyfriend it was so funny!! The Camille scenes were hilarious and the dynamic between Kirsten and Camille was touching :) even though I’m a big Camsten fan I liked the sexy scene between Kirsten and her boyfriend it was intense. The boys trying to have a bro night was hysterical and when Linus tried to crush a can with his forehead I almost died laughing it was so funny. I really hope this bf doesn’t stay long because I want Camsten to happen :)or I hope Kirsten realizes that she actually has romantic feelings for Cameron and dumps the guy. Next week’s episode looks intense and wicked interesting can’t wait to watch it :)

4. Nicolás says:

Can we talk about the fact that for being a ‘SUMMER OF ANSWERS’ we still haven’t had any real answer.

• Katie says:

I see this complaint all the time and it’s so untrue that I honestly don’t understand these people’s thought processes. We found out who Charles is (Jason and Ali’s brother, Mr D and Mrs. D’s son), his approximate age, where he’s been these last years, why he was sent away, we found out that Mrs. D hid him from her husband. Just this week we found out he has a birthday around the corner and that he’s planning to present himself to Mr. D. It was episode five that we even found Charle’s Radley files. Not every episode can have a giant, huge answer because there are STILL four full episodes before the season ends. So people need to learn to be patient and complain about this at the end of the season, if they don’t have their answers then.

5. saoirse says:

I hated Emily except for the few episodes when she was a sort of comfort to Toby.And now she is snogging a totally random girl? Wtf? HOW does one develop feelings for somone seemingly overnight? In the course of 6 seasons or so this teenager has been with 6 women and 3 boys if you count Toby! About A… Marlene King is now slowly killing the show. She has introduced so many random characters. Noone really cares if they lived or died or had a valid reason to be A. Who cares about creepy Sarah or lesli? And not to sound sexist I do not want a girl terrorizing these girls.

6. Rachel says:

Yeah I don’t miss Toby. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if he and spencer broke up.

7. emilys humanitarian friend is actually australian…..

8. Briannajay says:

The ones calling Emily a slut sounds immature. Like you’ve never kissed a guy the same day or days after you met him how old are you. This show isn’t for 8 year olds come on now who cares how many relationships she has been in considering most of them has been messed up by A

• Winter says:

Thank you how is Emily a slut? If she’s a slut so is Spenser who has kissed I swear every guy she has a story arc with. Mind you I don’t think either of them are sluts but just pointing out the double standard.

9. Danielle says:

No, Emily! God, I just want to spray her with water like she’s a cat who is in the process of doing something bad. Why can’t she have a normal, SANE, girlfriend who treats like she should be treated? First it was mean girl Allison (who I still can’t stand), then the pot smoker who got murdered (to be fair, she was pretty normal but I don’t remember her name, I’m terrible with names), then Paige who tried to drown her, now untrustworthy and sketchy af Sara and, finally, we all know she’ll eventually end up with Alli again which is just all sorts of bad. Screw Emison. Alli is not to be trusted. 5 seasons of her nastiness is proof enough for me. Leopards don’t change their spots THAT much.

10. Nicole, Emily’s humanitarian friend, is actually AUSTRALIAN. . . Classic Americans not being able to tell the accents apart. Her name is Rebecca Breeds and she’s amazing, hope she stays around for a little while.

• Katie says:

Classic Jerks assuming that one American is representative of every American. Also, Classic Jerks deciding to chastise someone for not knowing something instead of deciding to teach them.

11. Cas says:

Emily believes anyone. I don’t know why she is so quick to trust Sara. She seems suspicious to me. And I love Caleb!

• Curly Girly says:

Caleb is who all boyfriends should aspire to be! And that love scene between Caleb and Hanna: HOT!!

• LVR says:

Defo something wrong with Sara, also she’s beyond boring 💤

• Jess says:

She really does! She is the weak link in their group, because in my opinion she is to trusting and just allows random people into their group. I used to really like her, but I’ve has enough now…

12. LVR says:

Emily’s friend in the coffee shop is clearly from Australia/New Zealand, since when do British people sound like that? 😂😂

13. Debbie says:

Now I know I am in the minority here, but I can NOT stand Aria and Ezra together. It is SO beyond gross and disgusting to me that I just skip every scene when they are even close together. And yes…Caleb is hot, hot, hot!!!!

14. Patsy says:

I feel that dean is Charles and wren helps him cause he’s afraid of him

15. Hannah says:

Emily’s “cute” friend wasn’t British, she was Australian.

16. Noel Snow says:

If Charles and Bethany escaped the night that Ali disappeared, doesn’t that eliminate most of the male characters on the show? I know radley is a revolving door, but you couldn’t just disappear and join the Rosewood lacrosse team without being noticed. So that would mean it’s not Noel, Lucas, Wren or Andrew. I don’t see how A could be someone we saw in the first episode.

I do think that Charles was being funded by Aunt Carol’s money. We know she visited him right before his escape and he has the hacking skills to drain someone’s account.

17. Rebecca says:

Ok speaking of how many times Ezra and Aria have gotten together and broken up. When did they break up and why again? I can’t remember! Thanks!

• Alicia says:

When she was applying for college and he thought it was best he let her enjoy the rest of her high school life without his creepy ass lol

18. Alicia says:

It’s so obvious dean is Charles or working for him in this episode