Comic-Con

Vampire Diaries @ Comic-Con: 'Naughty' Damon, Steroline 'Twists' and More to Come in Season 7

Vampire Diaries Comic-Con Panel

When last we left our friends in Mystic Falls, Stefan was declaring his love for Caroline, Matt was suiting up to protect the town and Elena was embarking on the nap of a lifetime — much to Damon’s dismay. So, what’s to come in Season 7?

That question, among so many others, is what the stars and executive producers of The Vampire Diaries tackled Sunday during the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel.

Frankly, there was lot said, so it might be easier just to relay this in bullet form:

* For starters, the old Damon — as Ian Somerhalder describes, the “sexy, volatile, fun, dangerous” Damon you fell in love with in Season 1 — will return in Season 7.

* Adds executive producer Julie Plec, “The challenge for Damon is that Elena said to him, ‘Please live your life and be who you are.’ But we know who Damon is. So for him, it’s ‘Who am I without this girl right by my side?’ We’re going to see a lot of naughty Damon trying not to be naughty.”

* As for Stefan and Caroline’s budding relationship, Plec promises “a lot of very unexpected twists and turns. The fun of this couple is that they’re just getting cemented in their romantic status. As we left it off, he said, I will be here when you’re ready.’ She’s trying really, really, really hard not to be ready.” Also, “shirtless stuff every episode.”

* Adds Candice Accola, “I love a good slow-burning relationship that you get to watch build. I really like [Stefan and Caroline] together. The few scripts we have read, I’m really excited for you guys to see.”

* Enzo’s got quite a dilemma on his hands in Season 7. Says Michael Malarkey, “It’s about choosing his allegiance. Does he go with Lily and the Heretics or does he side with Damon? It’s a struggle for him.”

* In terms of the next Big Bad, executive producer Caroline Dries admits that “the challenge for the writers is constantly topping the villain from the previous year. Kai is one of the best villains we’ve ever had on the show. By bringing in Lily’s family, it’s these six villains who can do magic — and they’re vampires. It’s going to be exciting and gruesome and violent.”

* We’re also going to see how Mystic Falls devolved into the polluted, run-down mess we saw at the end of the Season 6 finale

* Nora and Mary-Louise, the new vampires TVLine exclusively revealed earlier this month, are going to be a couple of “nasty, nasty, nasty girls,” according to Plec.

* Bonnie and Damon’s friendship will continue to blossom in Season 7, which is good news for Somerhalder. “The beginning of Season 6 for Bonnie and Damon was the best stuff ever,” he says. “It was fun and very dynamic. It’s an amazing recipe for a lot of cool drama.”

* Lastly… any hope for Klaus’ return to Mystic Falls? “I don’t know if Caroline really wants him back in Mystic Falls,” says Accola.

Your thoughts on this year’s TVD panel? Your hopes and fears for Season 7? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. Alisha says:

Cant wait for S7.. I agree Kai was one their best villains & loved that he remained mostly not-redeemed (aka did not start drawing horses & talking about humming birds). Absolutely adore Stefan & Caroline.. & LOVED that Candice said Caroline doesnt want Klaus in MF.. I mean why would she?..

2. Stacey says:

The only things I am looking forward towards are bad Damon and Bamon scenes, friendship or otherwise. Glad that Delena is over for now, I don’t mind if it is endgame though. I can’t stand romantic Steroline, so I guess I will just fast forward through those scenes. Don’t know why they had to ruin their friendship, ah well, that is JP for you. Plus on an Originals note, can they cut the romance and up the violence. I don’t like Elijah and Hailey, Klailey, and especially don’t like Klamille. So sad to compare these characters to their TVD seasons 2 and 3 to now.

• Kimmy says:

Agree! Don’t want whiny piney Damon anymore I want Damon to move on and move on with Bonnie. They have amazing chemistry and can’t wait to see more of them. Steroline are a big disappointment, they have no chemistry and are boring so ditto on fast forward those scenes as well. I am interested in these heretics and hopefully we’ll see some good villains.

3. Jeri says:

I miss Mystic Falls, Elenas old house, the small town life & interaction. Long time original fan here.

4. Tracy says:

Ian Somerhalder loves animals; I think he would appreciate your help in saving two deer! The NYS Dept of Environmental Conservation has ordered Cindy McGinley, a licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator, to kill her two deer! These deer live on a 12 acre farm and pose no public threat! They are essential for wildlife education and rehabbing other deer! There is zero reason for this slaughter except they are unreasonable bureaucrats who want to kill Bambi! Go to the FB page Save Deirdre and Lily for the petition link and for great pictures of the girls! Thank you!

5. Lizo says:

I will forever hope for Caroline/Klaus to find each other in the end.

• Kristen says:

Same here. I really miss their amazing chemistry! It would be a shame to never see them onscreen again. I know it’s probably hopeless by now, but it would be so great to at least have one end scene with them together. Even if Klaus falls for Camille in the interim, she’s human so it can’t last unless he turns her. He intended to be Caroline’s “last” love not her next love so there’s always a chance for them even if Caroline falls for Stefan at the moment too.

• SS says:

Me too. However long it takes.

6. Having a group of villains could give more dynamic to the story – the way they are doing in The Originals… But, I guarantee that by the end of episode 6 at least 1 of the family will be killed, by the midseason break half of them would be off-ed…

7. liza says:

why would she? they have some HUGE unfinished buisness. + Klaus and Caroline have the best on screen chemistry i have ever seen on tv. How exciting would it be if we would have more crossovers. I also would have loved to have katherine in another body on the originals. That would be so epic. But these 2 shows keep making stupid choices. Killing Kol again? the guy was so populair. and don’t even get me started about tvd, that show has been destroyed after Kevin left. It’s so sad. The only reason why i will watch tvd next season is for bamon, that’s it.

• Alisha says:

Im sorry but what unfinished business do they have? His “intention” to be her last love? She made it clear the the life she’s building for herself has no place for him. Not denying their chemistry but that storyline was done just to make Klaus slightly likable.. If they did go down that path it’ll just be fanservice because they have no other reason to..

• Sandra says:

Yes Liza, This! Julie ruined a friendship because these two are single. They should’ve moved Caroline to TO and gave Stefan a new love interest. I would enjoy them if they had chemistry but sadly their interactions are cringe worthy. Don’t even get me started on the high jacking of Klaus words to Caroline AND kiss by Stefan. They can’t even come up with original scenes for these two. I’m hoping in the series finale Caroline will go to New Orleans where Klaus will be her last. Same, I’m only watching for Bamon they are the only interesting thing on tvd anymore.

8. julia says:

Have not watched the last 7 or episodes of last season but I read recaps here & there so I’m all caught up i’m sure. It makes me sad that this was my all time fav show but it’s now just a shell of what it used to be. The only thing I’m looking forward to is the return of bad unapologetic Damon. Not looking forward to Steroline…or Bamon scenes…I hope Enzo will be more useful this season, really love his character. It will be great to see a crossover episode as well.

9. Ron says:

More Bonnie please!

10. Cas says:

I mean Bonnie sort of bores me. And if the old Damon returns I doubt she will be thrilled. So there goes hope for those Bamon fans. I mean I like old Damon but I didn’t mind him not being that way either. I haven’t even decided if I am watching next season anyway.

11. lola says:

I love the old elena…Prefer katherine to the new elena…Damon get your life back….Good to know you are back,tho….
    I love stefan….itz okay he is with caroline
    Cant wait to see him happy…he sacrificed so much for damon and elena…..Caroline make him happy

12. lola says:

I love the old elena…Prefer katherine to the new elena…Get your life back damon…why did elena hook up with him still dating stefan?…..caroline make stefan happy….elena did not make him happy for a long time…Geez,where is klaus? i miss him..

13. Michelle says:

I’m so here for Bonnie and Damon in season 7. Their scenes are so much fun and refreshing. TVD needs something new desperately and Bamon can give it to them.

14. liame says:

Thanks for the info on Bonnie, I’m so looking forward to season 7.

15. SS says:

I think Caroline wouldn’t be upset to see Klaus at all. He never encouraged her to hurt or kill people. She has a power over the most powerful creature on the planet too and that has to be heady, especially when her world has been thrown upside down. Seeing him when she’s been so lost with Stefan I think would be excellent for Caroline’s character and would remind herself of what an amazing, powerful woman she is.

16. viola says:

I’m not a fan of Bamon but i’d love to see them become best friends…Delena IS still the BEST in this show.
    AS for Steroline, why not? XDDD I mean, finally Stefan can have a love life with next wonderful woman :D
    I still love the show with elena better, and I can’t wait to see Kai being replaced by someone else, can’t stand his act…..just personal opinion.

17. GOTTARHYME says:

I’m looking forward to season 7 especially now that that fake ship Bamon is a definite no! Thank you Caroline Dries! And the 11 million votes it got? They were all Stelena fans with a smattering of Bamon fans- they were cheating like crazy!
    Hopefully everything settles down now. Personally, I’m hoping that Bonnie comes out this season- i have always thought she was gay! She’s only ever had one real relationship on TVD and that was with Jeremy who was a 16YO child at thectime.

18. Mary says:

I am not going to watch season seven of TVD because of the fact that Bamon will be a thing. In the books it was meant for Delena to become something special. Plus I only kept watching because I had butterflies every time Elena and Damon had special moments. Now I will only feel dead-like watching it. I love the supernatural spiels, but when it came to love drama (which I am not into that much at all) I was only able to be interested in it with Delena. Farewell TVD.

19. Stephany says:

I hope that Caroline will stay with klaus cause they make a cute couple and I wish that klaus will come back for caroline