Comic-Con

Hannibal @ Comic-Con: Axed Drama Eyes Big-Screen Continuation? Plus: 'Red Dragon' Video!

Who needs Amazon and Netflix when you’ve got the big screen?

Recently axed NBC drama Hannibal is “looking at the possibility of a feature [film],” executive producer Bryan Fuller revealed at the show’s Comic-Con panel on Saturday. “[Stars] Hugh [Dancy] and Mads [Mikkelsen] are committed to this show.” Following a break after the close of Season 3, the EP hopes that “we’ll find a way to bring Hugh and Mads back to you.”

Dancy echoed the sentiment, saying that he would definitely like to continue telling Will Graham’s story. “It’s an emotional thing for all of us,” he described of the show’s abrupt end. “And it’s not over in the sense that we were living this thing.”

As for what happened with the talks about moving the show to a streaming service, “Netflix couldn’t do it because of the Amazon streaming [deal],” Fuller explained. “And Amazon would have liked to have done it, but they wanted to do it very quickly, [while] I wanted to get all the scripts [written] in advance.” That made Amazon’s desired schedule “just impossible to do for us.”

Despite the cancellation, Fuller gave props to NBC, which “allowed us to do some crazy s–t for three years,” he said.

Press PLAY on the video below — which was shown during the panel — to get your first look at the series’ Red Dragon in action.

1. ann says:

I’ll buy a ticket!!

2. Tea says:

Can’t Fuller write the scripts now, so that it’s kind of on schedule? I’d prefer 10-13 episodes rather than a 2-hour movie.

3. The Amazon deal sounded good. They should have taken it.

• Steven says:

I agree, they should have found a way to make it work.

• Andrea says:

I don’t watch Hannibal, but it seems strange for a cancelled show to not take a deal from an established platform like Amazon. Being able to “save” a show is such a rare thing. Fans of Forever or Battle Creek (of which I am both) would love such a deal. Even if I don’t watch a show, I always root for “uncancellations,” so I hope Hannibal fans get their movie.

4. Sara says:

That preview for the rest of the season looks AMAZING!!! And quite frankly, I will be there for any possible way they come up with for continuing the story they’ve created.

5. liame says:

Ok I’ve been waiting for Richard to appear and Wow!!! I won’t miss any of his episodes for SURE!!! Be still my rapidly beating Heart!

6. kirads09 says:

Holy cow. Chilling. I can’t wait to see the Red Dragon. It is my favorite Harris book, and I loved the film with Ed Norton which is very true to it (earlier Manhunter – not so much). They have meshed up so many aspects and main details of all the books concerning Hannibal already – aside from Silence of The Lambs. Apparently they can’t get the rights?