Comic-Con

Arrow @ Comic-Con: Oliver Gets a Heroic New Look, Diggle (Finally) Suits Up, Anarky Reigns and More

The Arrow is getting a makeover.

A new suit for the titular character was revealed at Arrow‘s Comic-Con panel on Saturday night.

Star Stephen Amell — who came out in his new “Green Arrow” duds — gave credit to Maya Mani, who has “made every single suit on our show since the original Arrow costume,” he said. “She nailed it.” (Keep scrolling to check it out.)

The new getup signals a big transformation for the titular hero. “We’ve always said the progression for Oliver is very much from the Arrow to Green Arrow,” executive producer Greg Berlanti described. “This is first real stop in that direction.”

With that evolution also comes a new attitude, although “the show isn’t going to suddenly to become a comedy,” EP Andrew Kreisberg said. “When the season starts, he’s in much a better place. He’s happy. He’s in love. That feeling infuses all the characters. There’s a little bit more fun [and] more humor.”

Added EP Wendy Mericle: “We actually get to have Oliver make some jokes in the lair, which is a first,” and get to see what it’s like to have him in a relationship.

Other highlights from the SDCC session:

* In addition to Damien Darhk, “there’s another big [DC character] coming,” Geoff Johns teased. “There’s a lot of characters coming up that people won’t really guess” from the DC Universe. Two that were unveiled during the panel: Anarky, who may be familiar to Batman fans, and Mister Terrific, who works with Felicity and is a good friend of hers, Berlanti previewed. He also happens to be the show’s first gay character.

* Diggle is finally getting a costume! It involves a helmet, star David Ramsey hinted.

* Malcolm will be back in his hood in Episode 3.

* John Barrowman would like to see more verbal sparring between Felicity and Malcolm. “Strong female roles are awesome,” the actor said. Amell also noted now that everyone knows everyone’s business, there’s more interaction between folks like the aforementioned two and Laurel and Thea.

Get a first look at the new green duds, then scroll down and press PLAY for TVLine’s exclusive interview with the cast, then check out a Season 3 recap and Amell’s entrance as the Green Arrow.

Arrow

1. theschnauzers says:

If the video is marked “private,”

2. The van dyke is coming in okay. Three more years until it’s fully grown?

3. sarah says:

The suit looks sweet. And I think I see a little Cisco action thrown in there, but I wonder how practical the bare arms approach will become in combat. Seems more like a liability for joint and bone damage.
    But… very nice. Excited to see Ollie rocking something more sleek and less Robin Hood-esque and more warrior archer.

4. April says:

Stephen posted the picture in his fb account with the caption of: Green Arrow.

Yay :)

5. Faythe says:

Vlada the video is marked private so it can’t be shown – help!

6. angeline says:

I must say I like the new look

7. Drew says:

Is it me or does the hood look very plastic/cheap fake leathery? Other than that… Not bad. I care more about the writing than the costume. The old one was fine. The new one won’t make much difference. I would rather see the official picture of Thea in costume.
    I don’t get what Malcolm brings to the show. He didn’t add anything special last year. His arc wound up making no sense. I just don’t get why he is still a regular.

• Drew says:

Question though… Why is Mr. Terrific being written as gay on the show? I could have my comic book history wrong, but didn’t his dead wife and unborn child play a big role in the character’s development?
      Other question… Should Arrow start developing new characters that aren’t from the comics? They could create new minority characters for example, and transition them into the comic books. It would make much more sense to get more diverse characters in comics this way than by taking well established and beloved (Wally West) characters and altering them so much that they might as well be new.
      Diggle is a great example of an original tv character that can live on in the comics. Chloe Sullivan is another.

8. Lysh says:

I don’t love the bare arms, but he does look pretty awesome. Glad they’re keeping the hood instead of moving toward the classic comic book little hat.
    I’m pumped for more LGBT representation. And a costumed Diggle!

9. Love the costume. Chuckled over the new gay character, if only because I have a feeling that’s the only way Oliver *isn’t* going to be jealous of any guy Felicity works with…
    Anarky sounds interesting. I remember him being a bit of a rebel with a vague cause in the comics, but then, I only read one issue with him in it. I wonder how they plan to have his arc play out.

10. ed says:

I find it funny that now that hes finally being called green arrow his costume has now become more black than green.

11. Thomas hunter says:

Is Dig gonna become The Guardian?? That would be sweet !!!

12. Cc says:

Amell better start working out more.

13. Joey Padron says:

new Green Arrow suit looks good. excting stuff about season 4 from show’s panel!

14. Gray says:

Diggin the new look

15. msemmyjones says:

First gay character? I’m sorry, did he forget about Nyssa and Sara? Or is there some reason they don’t count?

16. 134sc says:

Honestly not loving the new look. Not enough green and do not care for the shoulder pads, looks like something a baseball back-catcher would wear. The Smallville Green Arrow used the same idea, but did it better. That being said it is just a picture, so it may look better live action, but until then…

17. Drew says:

In terms of how practical it is… Stephen is going to be freezing his @$$ off come wintertime.