Comic-Con

Fear the Walking Dead Trailer Is Finally Here! (And So's the Premiere Date!)

TV spinoffs are a tricky thing. Sure, Cheers begat Frasier, but Friends gave us Joey, The X-Files was responsible for The Lone Gunmen, and CSI gave us David Caruso playing with his sunglasses for 10… whole… seasons. (Yowwwwwwww!)

None of the Ghosts of Failed Franchise Extensions Past, however, seem to have blunted excitement surrounding AMC’s upcoming Walking Dead prequel series, Fear the Walking Dead. If anything, folks have been craving a full trailer like zombies staring at a sealed corridor of delicious humans.

The network aired the first full screener for Fear the Walking Dead on Friday afternoon at Comic-Con — and now you can watch it here at TVLine! Plus, the spinoff’s finally got a premiere date: August 23 at 9/8c.

We won’t spoil the whole shebang for you, but suffice to say one family’s sweet-but-strained suburban existence gets shattered by a flu-like outbreak that’s ultimately a harbinger of much worse things to come. “When civilization ends, it ends fast,” says one character — and boy he’s not kidding.

The Walking Dead spinoff is set in the Los Angeles area during the early days of the zombie apocalypse, which means that members of the general public have yet to learn what fresh decaying hell awaits them in the coming years. The series’ cast includes Cliff Curtis (Gang Related), Frank Dillane (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince), Alycia Debnam Carey (Into the Storm), Kim Dickens (Deadwood), Mercedes Mason (666 Park Avenue) and Shawn Hatosy (Southland).

Press PLAY above for the full, terror-inducing trailer, then share your anticipation level in the comments!

1. wrstlgirl says:

This looks really good. I hope it kicks butt like the original. fyi – Kim Dickens will always be Jax whore to me, lol. Maybe this show will help me get over that, LOL!!!

2. bar says:

Man, that kid has such a young Johnny Depp look to him. Hoping that isn’t all from the pilot. Otherwise the pace seems a little super-quick and silly.

3. abz says:

Will definitely check it out. Still not a fan of the show title.

4. Melora says:

Oh Wow! This looks fantastic. Reminds of the early part of Dawn of the Dead. Its going to be interesting to see how they survive in a more suburban area

5. Kate says:

It is odd my major thought was they probably got to save a lot of money on their zombie make up. You know since most of the people will still look like people and not, well, the zombies we know. I also suspect these people will actually call them zombies and not walkers, just because, well, they see them and they are in L.A.

6. Cee says:

Can’t wait! I think this show will increase the sales on doomsday supplies and bunkers real quick. Also making preppers even more paranoid….I know I am.

7. JoeyPadron says:

Trailer for show looks really good. Looking forward to watch show next month!

8. Shaun says:

Lol,that motorcycle zooming by the truck door was in World War Z :p

9. AngelWasHere says:

Wow this looks better than I thought. Still hate the title, but hopefully the content makes up for it. I just can’t help, but wonder how long can they go on with the premise of this being a prequel without it becoming too much like the original? Soon or later the timelines will overlap. Different locations I know, but Rick wasn’t in a coma that long. It seems like it only took months for things to go to hell.

10. Sarah_ says:

I’m soo excited but it’s taking so long :(
    The trailer looks amazing so I hope it doesn’t disappoint.

11. Spence says:

Honestly, this trailer looks better than the season 6 trailer for TWD. Excited for both, but really pumped for this one.

12. Bwhit says:

That looks awesome! Can’t wait.

13. Molly says:

I hate Zombies but I will watch anything with Cliff Curtis in it, and this looks like it might be good.

14. The Carpooler says:

I watch TWD via Amazon the day after. Does anyone know if Fear TWD will also be available via Amazon or will it be Hulu only? The recent/original announcements on Hulu/AMC partnership weren’t totally clear on that.
    Thank you!

15. The Carpooler says:

Thank you!

16. Leighanna says:

I have always wondered how the zombies first started on the walking dead , I hope this tv series is going to do just that. I hope it Is packed full of action like The Walking Dead, i can hardly wait :)