Comic-Con

Dan Harmon Dishes Community Movie Prospects, Confirms Big-Screen Title

Let’s be clear: Community creator Dan Harmon isn’t sure that his fan-favorite comedy is done at Yahoo! Screen, but…

“I would guess yes,” he said during a stop in our Comic-Con interview suite at the Hard Rock Hotel, citing the “velocity and trajectory” of the show’s cast as one reason that a seventh season isn’t likely.

VIDEO Alison Brie: Community Movie More Likely Than a Season 7

But here’s the good news for the Greendale gang: Much like Alison Brie told Michael Ausiello earlier the same day, Harmon is thinking that a rock-em-sock-em movie is the next step in Community‘s progression.

His plan: “We wait a little bit, let [the cast] explore their awesome careers, and then we get together for an incredible movie.” Sounds good to us!

RELATED Community Season 6 Finale Recap: #AndAMovie?

Harmon (who was in the suite to promote another project, Rick and Morty — more on that soon) also had ideas about who should direct the big-screen Community and what the movie should officially be called. Press PLAY on the video above to get all the details.

1. Beatrice says:

Gee – look at all the people here who want the movie.

Let this dog die.

2. m3rcnate says:

I love that Dan is right on the money in this vid. A bunch of these actors have medium to huge careers coming (Alison Brie big time, Gillian yes, Joel of course) so paying them what I imagine is small beans to be in a web-series that takes up I imagine a significant portion of their schedule….doesn’t make sense.
    Given the “6 seasons and a movie” hashtag, just make a 1.5-2 hour Community movie (take your time…let Dan think about the plots/story for a year) and release it on Yahoo.

• Mariah says:

I love “I’m asking a serious question”. Movie titles change. It’s a stupid question from someone who has no idea how the writing process works.

3. FH14 says:

Woof Michael Ausiello was clearly not having fun in that clip. Yikes.

Honestly, I think that the season 6 finale was a perfect series finale. An epilogue movie with the final cast plus Yvette Nicole Brown and Donald Glover (and Chevy Chase??? Maybe the Hologram does other stuff who knows) would be perfect.

• BD21 says:

The hologram could be fun in the movie, but I’m still hoping Pierce faked his death. And of course, it would be great if everyone who’s ever been a regular at the study table could be in it. EVERYONE!

4. Lizo says:

I hope the plot is about Troy & Levar Burton being lost at sea and the Study Group (+Dean of course) have to go rescue them.

• Angela says:

I’ve always felt that would be what they’d do for the movie. I’d love to see that plot play out.
      As for titles, “Community Colon the Movie” works for me. I’m horrible at coming up with titles for things, but it’d be fun to have other fans throw out their own possible alternate titles, too :).

5. Et al says:

Please stylize the title as ‘Community Colon The Movie’.

6. kylen16 says:

Man, Michael Ausiello comes off as a little bit of a jerk in this video.

• Ben says:

He definitely seems less relaxed than usual in this weekends comic con than I’m used to.

• Ines says:

He looks tired and more serious than in previous years. However, Harmon never gives straight up answers and then Justin kept interrupting about Arresting Development and you can see there is a cut in the video. Who knows what happened in there.

7. Nikita says:

Woah! Hey Michael do you have an issue with Dan Harmon specifically or were you just having a bad day? In case I haven’t been clear you come off pretty rude in that clip.

8. William says:

The only thing that will flop harder than the Entourage movie is a Community movie.

• Matt says:

If you think that, then why are you bothering to post comments about a hypothetical movie? Stop being a douchebag; we have too many of them in the world as it is.

9. Sheila says:

I wish the show would continue, but HATED watching it on Yahoo! The video would freeze and stutter and sometimes start over!

• Angela says:

Yeah, I’m cool with Yahoo supporting the movie, it’s great that they’re willing to back this and all that. But either they hopefully fix their glitches if this movie does air on Yahoo! Screen, so that the fans can be able to watch it without those issues, or they work with some other site or channel or whatever that doesn’t have those problems who can agree to broadcast the movie.
      I’d love to see it in an actual movie theater, too, but I’m pretty sure that won’t happen, and a lot of us who don’t live in the big cities might not be able to see it anyway, since our theaters probably wouldn’t get the movie. I don’t want to miss out on watching this just ’cause I don’t live in New York or L.A., after all!

10. Dr. Famicom says:

#sixseasonsandamovie

11. Ed says:

multiple movies…Darkest timeline movie…Darkest timeline prequel….Darkest timeline sequel…Abed origin story…Starburns origin story….Darkest Timeline vs regular timeline…paintball fight in the Darkest Timeline

this will rival Marvel and the Avengers!

12. Richard P. says:

How about:

“Community: The Motion Picture Movie”

13. WenRaz says:

I hope if season 7 and/or a movie don’t happen, they will consider a “Hard Drive and Wing Man” spinoff!

14. Ben says:

I would watch the movie if they made one. I like that the plan is to wait a while though. Don’t rush into the project and get a crappy result. If it ultimately doesn’t happen, I’ll be OK with that because we’ve already gotten a lot more Community than I ever thought we would.

15. dsa says:

Who was that creepy guy doing the interview? I could see him having a few severed heads in his refrigerator.

16. BUTTS coma CARLETON says:

Didn’t know Michael Ausiello or whatever was a bit of a jerk. Like c’mon man, loosen up, its Dan Harmon. Nothing is a serious question with Dan Harmon.

17. Rand Johnson says:

I learned two things from that clip. Dan Harmon is ready for a little more Community in some form, and Michael Ausiello is a total jerk.