Arrow Season 4: Neal McDonough Joins Cast as the Infamous Damien Darhk

Arrow Neal McDonough

Arrow is going Darhk in Season 4.

Neal McDonough is joining the CW superhero drama in the pivotal (and series-regular) role of Damien Darhk, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The ominously named Darhk played an unseen role at the close of Arrow Season 3, as Ra’s Al Ghul regaled Oliver with a tale about his colleague-turned-adversary. Darhk even paid Starling City a visit, but got outta Dodge before causing any commotion (and before being seen by viewers).

Arrow producers are billing Damien as “a mysterious and sophisticated villain, and an adversary of the late Ra’s Al Ghul. Now the leader of his own clandestine group, this cunning foe will prove to be one of the Arrow’s greatest challenges.”

McDonough’s recent TV gigs include a starring role in TNT’s short-lived Mob City and arcs on FX’s Justified and USA Network’s Suits.

Arrow Season 4 bows on Oct. 7.

1. aunni says:

i liked his portrayal on justified

2. GildedRose says:

WOW! Fabulous actor choice. I’ve loved this guy in so many different shows. He does evil so, so incredibly (creepily!) well. Now the big question: Is he Felicity’s father? Is her father going to be a different character? Is Sebastian Roche going to play him? I need to know! Thanks for the scoop, TVLine.

3. “You take our failed Wonder Woman, we’ll take your successful Dum Dum Doogan.”

4. Jennifer says:

SQUEE!!!! I admit, I didn’t / don’t read the comics, so I don’t know if Neal is the right fit for “Damien Darhk” but I love this man. I think he is fabulous!! More than ever excited for the new season!!!

• Isobel says:

The character is supposed to be young given the Lazarus pit but maybe the show is doing something different

5. manfredw says:

I wonder what will happen to his Howling commandos mini roles on Agents of Shield and Agent Carter. Other than that, great cast!

6. John says:

He has such a creepy and striking presence on screen. Love this.

7. Trish says:

I like this actor but THAT’S NOT SEBASTIAN ROCHE! *cries*
    I wanted Sebastian is much. Why can’t we have nice things?!

8. Steven says:

I always think of him as Dave in Desperate Housewives. He’s was so smarmy and creepy.

9. Bill says:

Plus Neal’s great performance in Band of Brothers!!!

10. i’m happy as long as we get to see him back as dum-dum

11. aph1976 says:

I think this is great casting.Plus i’m thinking Damian Darhk could turn out to e Felicity’s father and that could put Oliver in a tough position.

12. Kate says:

Very nice! I’ve enoyed Neal McDonough on other shows and he can do that delicious kind of evil very well. Still don’t see Darhk as Felicity’s dad so I’m eager to hear more about that, too! Great news, thanks, Michael!

13. Hailey says:

Wow, great casting. I still remember him in his super-creepy role as Dave in ‘Desperate Housewives’. He’s a really amazing villain. Can’t wait.

14. Sammy says:

Interesting! I like this choice better than I did with the casting of Ra’s al Ghul. I actually hope he’s not Felicity’s father though. I’m ok with her dad being part of H.I.V.E. but I really don’t want him to be some centuries old guy. Good to have some new Arrow news though. Thanks!

• Sil says:

Agreed. I think Felicity’s dad being a bad guy is great, but, I just hope he’s not this evil guy Damian Darkh. This casting for Darkh is spectacular. I’m very excited for season 4 to begin.

15. Dave says:

Love the choice! He is very creepy when he plays a bad guy, he is gonna be great for sure, I just hope he will be able to reprise his role in Agent Carter if he’s needed

16. JoeyPadron says:

Great casting. Can’t wait to see him on the show in new season!

17. Evan says:

Oh… he is so Felicity’s father!!

18. Matt says:

Interesting choice he plays a good bad guy

19. Jon says:

He 100%, no question, is Felicity’s dad

20. Jake says:

Damien is supposed to be young, that’s one of the most important traits about the character

21. Drew says:

Yes! Brilliant casting!
    Everyone knows that I am waiting to see if season 4 can clean up the mess of season 3, and this bit of casting news has me super excited to see what is coming! Neal is a very talented actor. I’ve also respected the way he’s been able to hold onto his personal beliefs while having a successful career. I know most people probably don’t care about that sort of thing, but Hollywood tends to corrupt people, so I like a good victory over the place.

• e.luv says:

Thank you for this! I have seen way too many people rag on his beliefs, but I respect him all the more for it.

• Drew says:

A lot of actors will do a lot of crazy things for their work. They don’t set limits for what they will and will not do, and they end up getting lost in the work. Actors are not hookers… actually, even hookers have boundaries a lot of the time (or so I hear).
        I’m not saying that everyone’s limits should be the same, but you should know who you are and knowing what you will not do as an actor is probably more important than knowing what you are willing to do.
        Luke Grimes also got a lot of crap for saying no to things that the True Blood producers wanted him to do. The pathetic part was that those producers and actors from the show were the ones talking crap in the press and it made them look immature and unprofessional. Meanwhile, Grimes went on to have a nice role in American Sniper, working with Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood.
        I respect people who say no rather than sell themselves out for a buck.

• Isobel says:

True though I’d have thought something like scoundrels they would’ve have said in the casting it included sex scenes, if it didn’t then I fully understand him not being happy playing the role

22. James D says:

Sweetness. Neal plays one of the best heavy’s, His work on Justified is proof enough of that. Now I’m getting excited to see how the writers and Neal pull off Darhk.

23. e.luv says:

All I saw was his name in connection with Arrow and I was sold. Love him as an actor and I can not wait to see him. I need season four now!!!!!!

24. Shelley says:

The best choice ever. Thank you Arrow. Neal is a great actor. He does sinister evil so well. I’ll look forward to this season with eager anticipation.

25. Heidi says:

Brilliant casting! Love Neal McDonough. Wonder if he’ll be an occasional walk on at Agent Carter, too? Hope so.

26. Georgia madman says:

LOVED him on Justified. Makes me think season 4 is going to be awesome.

27. Bri says:

Just became even more convinced that he is Felicity’s dad.

28. DonnaMama says:

wow to be in the Marvel world and now DC, well done