Recap: Rookie Blue Is the New Black

Rookie Blue Season 6 Recap

Rookie Blue went all Litchfield on Thursday’s episode as Andy, Juliet, Nick and Gail were tasked with transporting two female inmates. But before they could complete their job, the action turned riotous.

Andy and Juliet are assigned an unpredictable prisoner named Kenzie (12 Monkeys‘ Romina D’Ugo), but it’s Pretty Young White Thing Rochelle (Lyndsy Fonseca look-alike Holly Deveaux) who turns out be the real handful. Although she looks sweet, she’s actually a sociopath who distracts Nick with some babble about how more light shines on her than others before locking him in a hallway. (Oh, Nick. I guess it’s not true what Andy said earlier to Juliet — Nick does have a flaw.)

Kenzie stabs herself during a fight with another inmate, causing a riot to breakout. Then she takes a blade to Juliet’s neck and forces her and Andy to go to the infirmary, where her bestie J-Bird is recovering. Kenzie wants to know why J-Bird is saying that she tried to kill her. As it turns out, Rochelle found out that the guard she was sleeping with also did a favor for J-Bird — if you know what I mean — so she attacked her and forced her to point the finger at her friend. Rochelle makes it to the infirmary and tries to finish the job when the police finally arrive and smoke bomb the place. (Nice upside down shot of Andy being blown back from the explosion by director/star Gregory Smith.)

Rookie Blue Season 6 RecapAs troubling as a knife to your throat and a prison full of angry inmates are, Juliet has even bigger problems when Kenzie recognizes her from Vancouver. After trying to play it off, the cop is forced to tell Andy that she went undercover with a gang and things got messy when she fell in love with their dealer.

“It was a really dark time in my life and I’m ashamed of it,” she confesses. “I would be really grateful if you could find a way to keep it to yourself.” It’s also unspoken that Juliet doesn’t want this information shared with Nick, given their earlier conversation in which she revealed she’s “crazy” about him. As for the story about Vancouver, is it even real? After all, Juliet tells her mysterious partner she doesn’t like lying to these people. But it can’t all be a fib if Kenzie recognized her, right?

As the riot drama is going on, Gail is trapped in a cell block with Red an older inmate who offed her husband after he fell asleep with a cigarette, starting a fire that kille their children. The woman warns Gail not to have kids until she’s done everything she wants to do, because after they arrive, it’s all about them and you can’t be impulsive anymore. So Gail impulsively grabs her adoption counselor’s butt — and she doesn’t seem to mind it!

Meanwhile, Sam’s at an appointment with Marlo; the doctor is worried about a possible defect, but she‘s actually fine. (Yes, it’s girl!) Marlo doesn’t want anyone to know about the ordeal, but Sam says he’s going to share with Andy. “I will always be there for you and for the baby, but Andy can’t come third,” he tells Marlo, who notes that that’s a very big promise he’s making to all three of them.

Andy’s reaction to finding out Sam is going to have a daughter is kind of bittersweet. She’s teary and clearly nervous about what it all means for their relationship. Still, she says, “She’s going to adore you,” to which Sam replies, “She’s going to adore you, too.”

“Where are things going to go with us?” Andy wonders, to which Sam simply replies, “Up.”

Finally, I’m just going to ignore the part where Duncan tries flirting with Chloe, because no. Just no. Don’t go there.

Rookie Blue fans, what did you think of the prison-set episode?

1. Sarah says:

It’s in everyone’s best interest If Marlo and this baby die. This story is sucking the life out of this show. The writers ruined their own show with it. Marlo is hated and they think it’s okay to bring her back like this? I said I would give it 3 episodes. I did. Now I’m done. I have no more desire to watch this show as they shove Marlo and this baby down our throats. I’m out. I miss last season when I could believe that Sam loved Andy. This season it’s the complete opposite. Congratulations writers, you are alienating your viewers. Good luck trying to achieve another season.

• Marissa says:

McSwarek is my least favorite thing about this show, aside from Chris’s weird storyline since he lost his son. Andy and Sam are fine alone, but put them in a room together, and I’m ready for a nap. I know I’m in the minority on this one, but I would much rather see Nick and Chloe friendship scenes than anything with Andy and Sam.

• Ari says:

There are very few shows that manage to pull off the whole baby thing without crushing the life out of the narrative. This show will not be able to do it. The surprise baby storyline just seems like they ran out of ideas.

• Kate says:

I agree about the Marlo-baby storyline…but having seen the next couple episodes thanks to some generous Canadian viewers. There is much better news on the horizon! :)

• Toni says:

As a Canadian who loves this show, I promise you, please keep watching. This season is stellar!

• bj says:

Ditto. It just keeps getting better and better. I wish they hadn’t started late there so that we could discuss the last episode!

• Kate says:

Agreed! This season is great after you get thru the first three episodes! I HATE that they started the season almost a month later here in the US. It feels that are purposely trying to make this show fail…

• Kim R says:

I was going to say the same thing. Don’t write anything off. The season has been excellent so far. It does just keep getting better and better.

• tvmom from canada says:

Hang in there. Focus is not on this storyline in next few episodes.

• Mel says:

Do you hear yourself? ‘The baby must die’ I know it’s a tv show but that is harsh. When people have sex they make babies. Yes this takes away the perfect family ideal for Andy and Sam but they spent too much time messing around. Honestly I prefer Andy and Nick but that’s not going to happen. I’m impressed with how they’ve made the characters react maturely to these situations, unlike this comment which is the epitome of a fangirl who didn’t get exactly what they want.

2. cookie says:

For once why can’t the directors and the writers just with a main couple just be a loving couple they always have to throw these balls at them, I can’t stand Marlo and I don’t trust her. I know she’s gonna try to use the baby to make Sam’s life miserable! ! She plays innocent but she’s very manlipitive, and she has a dark side to her. She could have just transferred to another precinct, but no she’s stays. I never liked her and still don’t.

3. cookie says:

Get rid of her Marlo, and just focus on Gail, Sam, Andy, Dove, Chris, the black lady sorry I forgot her name, and the new rookie guy who can’t shoot straight, and this new rat. Of course the captain and support people. That’s the show, Marlo can just suck it, if this baby thing goes on to long, like the whole season, fans will revolt, trust me I’m one of them, she’s such a distraction! !!!

4. Amy says:

Julie’s a dirty cop 😩

5. Erin says:

Yawn. Wake me up when Marlo is gone and this baby story is over. What on earth were the writers thinking? Marlo is a horrible character. No ethics. Not morals. She’s manuplituve. I am just about done. I can’t continue. I’ve forced myself to watch thinking it would get better. It’s gotten worse.

6. tackandcover says:

Just about every cop show ever done, including NCIS, has done the cops-caught-in-a-prison episode. Enough already.

7. Rusty says:

The prison stuff was utterly unbelievable to me: why ever would police be sent in to remove two prisoners when everyone is out of their cells??? A riot happens? What a surprise.

As for the baby … given that Marlo’s supposed to be a mental case, is she not on meds, meds that could harm a fetus? And, gee, last I heard, abortion is legal in the U.S. Since so many despise this character, that would seemed to be a fitting solution. Oh, but then all the stupid baby drama would be missing … what a shame that would be.