Comic-Con

Doctor Who @ Comic-Con: Missy as 'Frenemy,' Maisie Williams as Guest Star and... a Woman in the Title Role?

The Doctor and The Master’s frenemy relationship is far from over.

When Doctor Who returns for Season 9 on Sept. 19 on BBC America, “the way Missy comes back into the Doctor’s life is not something you’d predict,” executive producer Steven Moffat teased at the show’s Comic-Con panel on Thursday. “It’s very, very different.”

Missy “has to come at it from a different angle, which is surprising and exciting to play,” her portrayer Michelle Gomez described. “There’s something slightly different to her.”

As for the Master-Doctor dynamic, “It’s kind of like the best friend that you love to hate,” the actress said. “This great friendship that just went wrong. It’s her life’s purpose to chase the Doctor and make him realize that ‘No, you started it. I’m right.'”

“They are friends,” Moffat confirmed. “It’s friendship between a vegetarian and a hunter.” Added Gomez of the characters’ similarities: “We both kill a lot of people. He feels bad about it, I don’t.”

GAME ON | A new trailer for Season 9 featured a cameo from Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams. “You!” the Doctor greets her, to which she replies, “What took you so long, old man?” So what can the EP tease about her character? Not much, sorry. “It’s going to be surprising what she gets up to,” he hedged.

NEW DOC, NEW STYLE | Although Peter Capaldi has brought his own flair, “the difference in how you write the Doctor isn’t that great,” Moffat said. “It’s about what the actors bring” to the role. Could an actress fill that part one day? “There is no vacancy. My opinion is fairly obvious from the show,” Moffat replied, pointing to the gender twist on The Master as example.

IN THE GROOVE | Now that Capaldi has gotten more comfortable as the Time Lord, shooting Season 9 has “been a gas,” he said. “It’s just been so much fun. The writers know me now and want to write for me. Because Clara and the Doctor feel more in a groove, they’re really enjoying being the luckiest people in all of history… They throw themselves recklessly into the pursuit of adventure.” With all that gallivanting, “What could possibly go wrong?” Moffat joked. “The finale!”

BE KIND, REWIND | If the newest incarnation of the Doctor seems gruff to you, it’s for good reason. “[He’s] mysterious,” Capaldi explained. “He’s a time lord. He’s not a guy. But if he was a guy, he’d have my face and be really nice.” He’ll also get some help in the social skills department from Clara next season.

1. Amora says:

I think Maisie Williams is playing some version of Clara :-/

2. Angelo says:

I was wondering if Maisie is somehow River Song.

3. FatherOctavian says:

My guess is that Maisie is playing the Doctor’s granddaughter.

• Sheila says:

Maybe a younger version of Susan?

• T.Baker says:

I don’t believe a younger version of Susan. Keeping in mind when the Doctor left susan oh so many years ago, Gallifrey was still very much a planet that could be visited. It IS within the realm of the possible that Susan travelled back to Gallifrey became a Time Lady (remember: Not all Gallifreyians are Time Lords, only those selected to the Academy).

Once a Time Lady, she could very well go on living and dare I say.. regenerate? This version of Susan could be a later regeneration of hers (as if it were still supposed to be the original susan, she would’ve naturally aged quite a bit by now..)

I cannot say TOO much, but let’s just say I have a small in where it counts ;)

• Jo-Anne says:

I don’t think that now after the way she kissed him last season…

4. Leon says:

If a women ever takes the role of the doctor that’s the day I stop watching. I like how the master is now a women. A great dynamic. Doctor who is a man/alien not a femalian. Don’t ruin it! I swear to all that is holy don’t mess with that!!!!!!!

• Lizo says:

And your a misogynist. Congrats

• Sarah says:

There’s nothing misogynistic about not wanting the Doctor being played by a woman. The Doctor is a male time lord. He has been for the last 50 years. Just to change it for political correctness is not something the show needs, though they could go into casting different races.
        Instead, they can make a spin-off where a new female time lord does the same thing as him and has male and female companions *cough* River Song *cough* The Doctor’s daughter *cough*

• Lizo says:

It’s not for political correctness, it’s to start telling different stories. The people in the ‘cast a woman’ camp, would also be happy if they cast a man of colour in the role. For 50 years it’s been the exact same thing. The Doctor is supposed to represent us, and yet they only cast one type of person. It’s not political correctness to want to see diversity in our media.
          And the idea for a spin off, while cool, would just cement the idea of the “real” Doctor Who (the one with the white dude) and the “other one” (to placate all us women and PoC’s). And making a binary has worked really well in the past.

• tvjunkie says:

No the Doctor does not “represent us.” The Doctor is an alien from space. He might appear human, but he is not human and therefore does not “represent us.”

• Dwight says:

Really? You think he hates women because he doesn’t want a female doctor? You might want to hear his arguments first to see if he has legitimate points to make before accusing him of being a misogynist.

Maybe he thinks you shouldn’t take away one of the few male heroes that consistently uses his mind to get out of trouble instead of force. One of the few male characters that is a unabashedly proud socially awkward geek and strives to be the cleverest in the room. I think that is important. Also that The Doctor is a character loved by girls and boys alike tells me there’s no need for a change.

Next time try having the courage to participate in a discussion before attempting to shame someone with an opposing viewpoint into silence. Grow up and learn the seriousness of the terms you so carelessly throw around trying to trump other people on the internet.

• Lizo says:

Except I’ve had this debate numerous times, I’ve heard every “argument” about why it shouldn’t be a woman….and ultimately it comes down to the fact that they just don’t want a woman in the role. Not wanting a woman to do something is a textbook act of misogyny.

• tvjunkie says:

Why not try putting forth a good argument for having the Doctor being a woman. Telling different stories is not a good argument, because every new Doctor leads to new stories. I’ve read your arguments so far and not one of them is a good argument for a gender switch because none of your arguments requires a gender switch to accomplish the goal. So one must conclude your main reason is for PC reasons despite your denial that is the reason. BTW I really don’t care if they made the Doctor a woman one of these times, but you’re not putting forth any good arguments for doing so.

• Jo-Anne says:

I am a woman and I prefer The Doctor to remain a man…

• Lizo says:

Also, there’s SO many examples of a white man being a good role model, of not using violence. If there’s one group not lacking in representative role models in TV/film it’s white men.

5. A3rynSun76 says:

I feel it’s possible that Maisie is somehow related to Rory…like maybe a daughter they had in the past, or a granddaughter…Here’s hoping!!!

6. lrdslvrhnd says:

1) My immediate first thought on Maisie was a youthified Clara. She just came across as Claraesque to me.
    2) I’d love Jenny (the Doctor’s Daughter) to come back, but I want her not regened. Georgia Tennant or leave her alone!
    3) I think it’d be a fun dynamic if they sort of replayed the Doctor/River relationship with Missy… though not quite so reverse-timeline. But more random points in their timeline.
    4) …is it September 19th yet?

7. Mare says:

I can’t wait! Still miss Matt but really liking Peter!

8. tony says:

a female doctor? not a question of if but when.

its the best role on tv and the best person should be cast in it.

9. dman6015 says:

Maisie Williams is most likely….Spoilers!

10. jm says:

Maisie = Missy
    The look some sort of familiar to me.

11. Mare says: