Fall TV Preview

Castle Season 8 Adds The Neighbors' Toks Olagundoye as Series Regular

Castle Cast Toks Olagundoye

Castle‘s first bit of Season 8 casting is truly out of this world.

Toks Olagundoye, who played the extraterrestrial Jackie Joyner-Kersee on ABC’s The Neighbors, is boarding the network’s Monday-night procedural in the series regular role of Hayley Vargas, TVLine has learned.

To be introduced in the two-part Season 8 premiere (kicking off Sept. 21), Hayley is described as a quick-witted, free-spirited, former Scotland Yard police officer who works as a security specialist and is not afraid to cross lines to get things done.

Olagundoye, who was raised in Nigeria, Switzerland and England, also counts among her TV credits episodes of NCIS, Law & Order and NBC’s Prime Suspect.

1. cyrax86 says:

OMG this makes me reconsider watching Castle again!

• Edd says:

I agree with you–just one thing says– I liked the old castle and– DON’T LIKE CHANGE– I wish them well–good bye.

2. Just one thing says:

I swear, I’m beginning to develop a sixth sense for when you’re gonna post Castle stuff. Kinda weird.
    Anyway, she was an absolute hoot on The Neighbors. Very interested in how she will blend with the cast.

• Just one thing says:

She’s actually pretty entertaining. I think two things are pretty inevitable, though:

1.) Nathan Fillion will invite his 3.2 million Twitter followers to follow Toks and “tell her he sent her.”
      2.) She and Stana Katic will take a picture and/or tweet together at some point to show they’re buds onset – and hopefully to encourage fans to distinguish between fact and fiction.

• LL624 says:

This was my reaction, too. Never heard of her. But then again, I’d never heard of most of the Castle cast, including Nathan, before Castle.

• liame says:

Try using google and then you won’t sound like an owl out of the loop.

• NJMark says:

I’m stealing that! I’m so sick of the a-hole “who?” and “is that still on?” comments, like anyone actually is supposed to think they’re clever.

• Guest(Real name will not be revealed until i say so) says:

@NJMark Well if you or anyone else is so sick of the “who” and “is that still on” comments then maybe you all should i don’t know, (yelling) NOT REPLY BACK TO THEM! Just saying.

3. Grace says:

haha i knew they’d do this. someone exotic and young. new love interest for castle. this show is pathetic.

• Just one thing says:

Go watch a clip of the Neighbors. You can tell she is just as old as all the main Castle actors, or at least in the ballpark.

• Chloe says:

Exotic is not a compliment.

• Just one thing says:

Exotic is just an archaic way to describe someone who’s not white – or who is white, but of an unknown nationality.

• Babygate says:

She is exotic and absolutely gorgeous. Some isolated group may have appropriated the word but it doesn’t make it any less accurate to decribe the beauty and elegance that Toks embodies.

I agree completely.

• liame says:

Absolutely! We all know how some groups turn things they don’t like into something demeaning and hateful because that’s their nature.

• smartysenior says:

I am extremely sad that he had to bring in the race card. This kind of stuff is getting melodramatic at this point. I mean really, anything and everything will get someone all huffed and puffed about something. My white Mother was often described as exotic because of her unusual eyes so please don’t get all huffed up about this particular word.

• CastleBuzz says:

Seriously? Is this some sort of younger generation lingo? For us oldsters, exotic was used to describe Sophia Loren and Ava Gardner, two exquisite beauties. It means out-of-the-ordinary beauty, unusually striking good looks. When the hell was it transformed into racist code?

• Just one thing says:

It was used by casting directors studios and agencies long before the current young generation was born.
          Sure, like most things, there’s a positive side to the term. But that word has been used as a qualifier for women’s beauty for decades.

• CastleBuzz says:

Guess I must be naïve or just plain sheltered. I also don’t know half the words I read and hear nowadays that are used to refer to ethnic groups.

• DL says:

Yeah, I’d actually call Stana Katic exotic looking, based not at all on her Eastern European ancestry, but rather because she has a striking beauty unlike anyone else I have ever seen.

• CastleBuzz says:

Exactly. That’s how I’ve always used the word…and will continue to do so. It’s the difference between the pretty girl-next-door type and someone so striking you stare.

• c-mo says:

I completely agree with you. People need to stop being so overly sensitive with terms used to describe appearance, they’re not all meant to be racist!!!

• lkh says:

Excellent! It’s not racist or xenophobic and I know it isn’t sexist–right? So we’ll be calling the guys exotic–agreed? :]

Nice, lkh.

• KCC says:

It was always a racist code. It used to mean non-Anglo-Saxon.

• CastleBuzz says:

Getting way off topic, but Urban Dictionary has it basically meaning anyone but white, so I guess it’s another good word twisted into an ugly meaning. More traditional dictionaries, online and off, define it more along the lines I thought it meant — something or someone attractive or striking because it’s colorful and out of the ordinary, or something originating or characteristic of a foreign country. Synonyms: striking, colorful, eye-catching. Antonym: conventional.

• Jane L. says:

I’m with CastleBuzz. You can’t say it was “always” a racist code. Even if there were many who used it that way, clearly there were also those who used it as a complement and took it as such.

• S. says:

@Castlebuzz – Anybody can submit a definition to Urban Dictionary. Even if it got some upvotes, that doesn’t mean anything. It’s basically the Wikipedia of slang except you can’t go deleting someone else’s proposed definition. Hopefully the best one rises to the top. I didn’t see a single definition of “exotic” in Urban Dictionary that didn’t either sound like someone with an agenda and.or someone who really didn’t know what they were talking about but wanted to sound like they did.
            ….
            @KCC – It isn’t racist. I means something from a far away foreign place. Often that’ll involve differences, but that’s not a bad thing. To some people, exotic could mean white. You need to look up what racist means.

• jazzyt2u says:

Well even the regular dictionary is telling you non-white if it’s saying colorful… LOL

• CastleBuzz says:

Thanks, S, for filling me in on Urban Dictionary. I figured it was something like that and agree with you about people with an agenda. That’s why I wrote “another good word twisted into an ugly meaning.” The Greek word “exo” means “outside,” “exotikos” means “foreign.” Nothing racist or xenophobic in those terms until twisted by little minds.

• lkh says:

Here’s me thinking it has to do with wood for flooring. As for folks, I think it applies, perhaps, to those not living here–ie, outside the U.S., in this case. Not sure it applies to racial differences or xenophobia. And, with my very astute ability to read minds, I don’t think the poster here meant anything disparaging.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

This is actually correct; an actress who comes from a variety of backgrounds once explained to me that it is NOT taken as a compliment. “Exotic” means “out of the ordinary,” and who’s to say what an “ordinary” human looks like? That’s why it’s ideally avoided.

• herman1959 says:

Exactly right, Matt. Thanks for allowing yourself to be educated without taking offense. The fact that casting directors are still using the code word “exotic” is unbelievable because Lena Horne was dealing with this in 70 years ago!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I actually went to use it in a feature (maaaaaany years ago) and the copy editor took it out, explained to me why. I then discussed it with an actress and was further illuminated. Never hurts to allow education, I find.

• CastleBuzz says:

Sorry, Matt, but by that reasoning we should also avoid using the words “ordinary,” “extraordinary,” “regular,” “normal,” and similar terms that require our minds to classify things. Moreover, why should we allow perfectly good words to be outlawed from use because they have been perverted. I can accept that certain people find the word distasteful and would consider not using it in that context unless I could make it clear that I was using it in a positive mode.

• Just one thing says:

Thanks for weighing in on this (admittedly off-topic) sociology discussion.
          The way some people are desperately clinging to this word in casual conversation here reminds me of people in the south who desperately cling to THEIR understanding of the Confederate flag.
          It doesn’t matter if people tell them about the historical or cultural definition behind it, THEY don’t mean it that way, so anyone who gets offended should just buck up and shut up.
          The world is an interesting place.

• CastleBuzz says:

JOT, I take umbrage with your statement. I for one am not “desperately clinging” to the word exotic nor am I telling anyone who finds it personally offensive to “buck up and shut up.” I’m also NOT clinging to my understanding of the word’s meaning. I looked it up in four different dictionaries, including print versions of Webster’s and American Heritage, as well as online. As with most English words, it has various meanings and usages, only one of which is negative and hurtful. That means context is extremely important when it is used as well as who is using the word.

The analogy with the Confederate Flag is way off. The word exotic has deep and old roots with a positive meaning. The same cannot be said of that flag. First, a flag is a symbol. As such it has no intrinsic meaning. It carries ONLY the meaning(s) that people assign to it or come to believe about it. Today, the Confederate Flag — meaning the Southern Cross battle flag — is seen in various ways, from a symbol of slavery to a symbol of rebellion and states rights, from a symbol of white supremacy to a somber symbol of the many who died in the Civil War. It’s even taken to be a benign symbol of regional pride and “good ole boys.”

My view of its use takes into consideration its historical context as well as its painful use. I do NOT think it should fly over any state’s government buildings. That flag was defeated in battle and should be retired as such. However, I believe the people of a state have the right to vote to incorporate the image as part of their state flag if it has historical significance to that state. Would I vote for such a flag? No. On the other hand, I think people should be able to fly that flag over Confederate cemeteries as well as on individual graves of those who died on the Confederate side during the Civil War. Also, freedom of expression dictates that individuals be allowed to fly that flag on their private property or put a decal on their car. I wouldn’t like it, but then many people’s “expressions” displease me.

That’s it for me on this topic. Sorry for getting involved….

• Louis E. says:

Rather obviously,”ordinary” relates to the median.There need to be words that relate to distance from the median.

• Colleen says:

New love interest??? Are you delusional or just stupid???

4. Jo says:

Oh I hope her character and Castle hookup!! Castle needs some new beauties in his life who don’t bore him to death. I’m really excited for this upcoming season, and seeing Castle out and about with some new ladies in his life.

• Just one thing says:

I think you’re right! He desperately needs some new blood, a new muse and a new lease on life.
      Now, I’m torn. Is it #Cayley or #Hastle? One is kinda catchy, but one just totally sells itself.

• S. says:

I really hope you’re being sarcastic, but I seem to recall Beckett-hating so it’s hard to tell. Nobody’s cheating on anybody. Nobody’s breaking up Caskett. I find it hard to believe anybody thinks Terence Paul Winter and Alexi Hawley are running/writing that show. Do they even know what they’re watching when they entertain the idea if they think that? Can’t possibly.

• Alexia says:

Actually Castle is the one who became boring to death …

• CastleBuzz says:

So you’d appreciate turning Rick into a two-timing cheater as a way out of boredom? Interesting….

• Court says:

WTF…..

• Jim says:

Are you guys even serious? I never know as there’s lots of sarcasm. Well you may get your wish. I for one would have to stop watching. I don’t believe in breaking up marriages even on TV. And you never know, maybe this Hayley’s pal is Colin hunt( both from Scotland Yard right) and he comes too:) then Beckett can go off dancing with him again . And isn’t there gonna be some tech hot ethnic guy? It’s so obvious what the writers are doing- trying to make a husband wife jealous. But again, a marriage is sacred and id hate to see either one of the leads turn into terrible people. And I’d hate to dislike our newest cast members- Hayley and the Indian guy. They’re joining a show it to enhance it not make it worse. Also it’s a shame some ppl stil want the cas and playboy castle. Real men don’t live their lives like that. That’s what I loved abt c and b…he wanted to be better for her. That’s true love. And that’s being a real man. How anyone can not support that is beyond me. And I totally disagree abt Beckett being s bore. No offense but just sounds that you don’t like Stana and want to take a swipe at her,and you just want to see Nathan act with someone else. From the time they got together, it was always Beckett showing more interest than castle, more flirty, wanting to be more sexy, more teasing. Castle just pretty much did nothing! But I don’t blame Nathan for that, he does as the script says. Beckett is very sweet and touchy freely with him which is what most wives are like so I can relate. It’s realistic. If you think having castle turn his back on Beckett and be with another woman will be exciting you’re very wrong. Watching your favorite character turn into a cheating husband won’t make you excited. If you got bored it’s because you didn’t understand the spousal connection these two have. If you got bored its because you didn’t get the writing.

Sorry I’m just weirded out by some ppl wanting castle to hook up with anything, gates at one point, even though she’s happily married.,,even incest with his daughter!! Gross. You have a heathy relationship between caskett and you don’t like it. Don’t understand that.

• mike says:

She is going to be out in the field with Castle because Kate will be pregnant and in the captains chair in the first two episodes. The two parter season openers XX and XY will be twins that Beckett is expecting since she cannot go in the field the new detective and Castle will have some fun in friendship only manner mixing the rest of the cast as well.

• Jane says:

1) this isn’t 90210…they don’t “hook up”. This is not some dimwit teenage show.

2) your comment on being bored just shows what you actually watch for. This show is about real love and commitment and growth. Not ” hooking up”.

3) agreed Jim! It’s pathetic that folks advocate and hope for cheating spouses. Guess that’s what happened to them in real life. Cheating must be a part of their lives since they like it. I feel bad for them.

• Eng says:

Yeah Jo, and Beckett needs a man who appreciates her, like Esposito or maybe the ethnic Indian guy:) Beckett looks so bored with castle, think she’d have more fun with espo. Maybe that’s just bc stana and Jon are buds but Jon has hinted before at a romantic past between beckett and espo. Long ago, s2 I think a reporter asked stana who she’d pick out of the three guys, she said Jon. So yeah Beckett and espo or even some nerdy hunky Indian dude:) becketts sauciness needs to reciprocated by a saucy guy. Castle used to be that guy but he’s lost interest. So new ppl for both will be ok. Looking forward to flirty Beckett with Indian guy:)

• Just one thing says:

If this were a Shonda Rhimes show, Beckett and Espo would’ve hooked up in S2, Castle would have had another fling with Meredith (heh) in S5, and Alexis and Ryan would’ve hooked up in S7.
        And at least three of those characters would be dead by now.
        The show would be wildly popular and Twitter bait, but traditional Castle fans would’ve jumped ship long ago.

• Eng says:

JOT, aren’t you the commentor above that agreed with Jo. So you think them with new people is a good thing right. Since you’re ok with shipping castle and Hayley, why would you have a problem with Kate and the new Indian guy. Or espo. Once Kate has nothing to do with castle, she can be with someone who is spicy. Well from what I’m reading, castle is turning into shondaland drama. Wrecked marriage, affairs, so I’m not surprised.

• Just one thing says:

Beckett is my favorite character on the show, so her stories and how she is handled will always be my primary interest.
            I was being sarcastic about #Hastle. :-) That would be a disaster.

5. Court says:

I hope she is a love interest for Esposito I will tolerate her character. I’m not happy with the writers feeling like they need to add a series regular to join the show.

• Janice Watson says:

I agree with you. Esposito needs to either get back with Lanie or have a new love interest. Hayley would be perfect. Forget about the idea of destroying Castle and Becketts marriage. If you do, I will definitely quit watching. Rick and Kate need to have a baby together.

6. Matt says:

Castles new muse

• Me thinks Becket held out for the big $$$, that is why only one year. They are bringing in someone new to interact with Castle to show Becket WE DON’T NEED YOU. I hope she clicks with Castle and this revitalizes the show.

• Just one thing says:

Nathan Fillion only signed for a year as well.

• Just one thing says:

Also Becket (or “Beckette,” if you’re #1 on the call sheet) didn’t hold out for anything. She’s a fictional character in a fictional world.
        But, please, don’t let that stop you.

• CastleBuzz says:

JOT, I finally got the meaning of your “or ‘Beckette,’ if you’re #1 on the call sheet” — the (likely) intended misspelling by Nathan in a tweet from a few weeks ago. Now I’m not sure I’m laughing at your joke or myself ….

• Just one thing says:

I knew only a handful of people would know the reference, so it’s cool. :-)

• Alexia says:

Nathan Fillion (or Castle if you want) also signed for one year, also for big $$$ ?

• CastleBuzz says:

Nice (insert sarcasm smiley). Let’s keep women in their underpaid place. IF Stana Katic did indeed delay re-signing for bigger bucks — equal to Nathan Fillion’s would be the highest she could expect — I’d say it was about time. As for not needing Stana’s Beckett, I’m LOL.

• lkh says:

Hope springs eternal! ha ha ha A woman getting the same pay, ha, ha, choke, guffaw… Everyone things SK held out for more money–maybe so, hopefully so. I’m still thinking she wanted less screen time and maybe even a phasing out.

• Just one thing says:

Without delving too much into the pay topic – because I hate it – I can’t imagine her reps would let her walk away with anywhere near the same pay. It’s just not how it works as actors “move up,” and that’s the only way they get a payday.

• lkh says:

JOT-I agree, I just don’t think that was the only ‘get’.

• Just one thing says:

Let’s see if she fits a third flick into 2015. :-) If so, she’s gotta be the Energizer Bunny.

• Jane says:

What a mean thing to say. If she held out for better pay, good on her. She deserves it. And Im assuming youre a woman based on your name “marigold”, and as a woman you should be glad that Stana stood her ground to earn a fair salary not say serves her right, and say they don’t need her. Such hatred in you.

• LL624 says:

We definitely need her. If the show didn’t need her, she’d be gone just like Penny/Captain Gates.

• Kelly says:

Tell me about it LL624. I’d never bother without stana or Nathan. The show needs both. I for one am happy she took her time to decide if coming back was right and if she held out for huge pay bump, then that’s great. Why should she get paid lesser than Nate. They do equal work, in fact Nate has even gone as far as to say she has more workload. Marigold and Jo my guess are pro Nathan fans not castle fans. A castle fan will root for the good and happiness of the leads, and castle fans love Both leads and ALL the cast, not just Nate. I hope stana is getting lots of money. Girl power. She’s more than earned it.

7. aph1976 says:

I’m happy with this casting but this just reinforces my belief that next season might be about the characters working with a task force of sorts that specializes in security because this is the second character cast that is a security expert.

• CastleBuzz says:

I like this plotline theory, but she’s the only security expert coming on board. The other new character is supposedly going to be a male tech analysis.

8. Kate says:

bye caskett! (oh and bye show!)

• John NYC says:

Bye Felicia!

• Just one thing says:

Of all the regular posters on this site, I never would have guessed that you would be the one to use that phrase.
        Though I disagree with the overall sentiment, I can appreciate its use… and the humor it brings me.

• S. says:

So a young pretty woman coming around equals an opportunity for a guy to break up with his wife? Wow I really hope that doesn’t imply anything other than a mistrust of tv writers.

9. Beth says:

Lol @ these comments. Ever since the blind item this show has received so much hate. I for one actually hope they do break up(don’t mind if they don’t either) because I preferred the show when they wasn’t together

• Aly says:

I prefered the show when they weren’t together too because they have handled really bad almost everything about their relationship, but making them break up wouldn’t give us back the quality of the show unfortunately, it would actually be the most ridiculous thing to do after showing us for 7 seasons how they are made for each others etc … Then what ? They decide suddenly that it’s not the case and we see them falling in love with other persons, and are supposed to believe in those new couples ?

• ndixit says:

The thing is, if you break them up, you can’t pretend that the relationship never happened. So you are not going to get the same dynamic from before they were together, even if they break up.

• Court says:

Nailed it

• KCC says:

Not if Stana Katic is “one and done” with re-signing. I think that is the most logical reason for this shake-up. They have to figure out a way to continue without her. After the breakup Beckett will either die (unlikely) or move to Albany (state senate) or some other city for whatever reasons make sense to the story they create for the breakup. They’ll have to be really good to pull something like that off.

• Just one thing says:

Let’s say Katic really is done like some are claiming. Considering the series isn’t a ratings monster and is merely consistent, why would the network try to go into another season without her?
          As I’ve said since 2013, back when seasons seven and eight seemed nearly impossible, they would never consider doing the show without Fillion. Despite the fact that the show’s main stores have tended to revolve around Beckett, he is the title character after all.
          However, since 2013, Beckett has proven to be a tremendously popular character in her own right, easily matching – and sometimes even surpassing – Castle in popularity.
          With that in mind, if the network is willing to move forward without one of its two leads, the show’s creator, etc., sure, one can remove all emotion and sense of fairness from it all and say that it’s just business.
          But that also means they shouldn’t expect a lot of sympathy or special consideration from viewers when that doesn’t work out in the end. And maybe they don’t. Who knows?

• Georgee says:

I think ABC already knows that Stana is not signing up for season 9. Back in November she wanted to leave the the show on a high, it did not happen. She did not sign up for season 8 until the last minute causing yet another problem. So how do the writers get her out on a high note. So here comes the devastating break up, a little better than what happened to Grey’s Anatomy star. And the writers are really good at writing stories on cheating and break ups it happens all the time it is Hollywood, and now the writers are dancing in the street.. Two problems solved. 1. a Baby Castle, after all only 80% of fans want that TVLine own survey numbers 2. Kate gets to ride off in to the sunset. I do not she her leaving as a senator James Patterson said it right in his book NYPD/Red 2 the only way a politician
            wins they need to able to talk out of both sides of there mouth at the same time . In 7 seasons I never seem Kate do that. So if ABC is so set on destroying this show go for it, after all the fans do not count.

• John NYC says:

The show ALWAYS receives hate, don’t quite get why supposed “fans” dump so much on the cast. It’s not like anyone has to pick sides.

• I want them to break up simply to see the fandom on here break the internet

10. Luis says:

I so miss “The Neighbors.” It was silly, often stupid, but still very funny. Glad to see her back on TV.

11. Why in the world is Castle powers that be adding this stupid actress Toks Olagundoye as a series regular? Great someone else to be a scene sucker and even more episodes where Castle and Beckett literally have NO SCENES TOGETHER!!!

Why doesn’t ABC just put this show out of its misery and cancel it? I have never gotten into gossip but have become even more evident the two leads Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion don’t like each other and that is why the writers are finding more ways to keep them out of scenes together. It is pathetic.

I am so over all this crap and this crapfest of a a show.

• Aly says:

The new actress doesn’t have anything to do with the decisions made, you should calm down …

• SO says:

Don’t believe everything you read. Stana is friendly to everyone including Nathan. She’s now married & he is with someone else. Did you ever stop & think if they communicated more, such as Facebook & Twitter, some people would read more into it? Could be why they don’t. It’s a tv show. Enjoy it for what it is. I do!

• liame says:

Wow, so much ignorance and rudeness because of a TV show.

• John NYC says:

I find the show entertaining and if TPTB have decided to go in a direction that involves introducing some new people to allow for other stories to be told I’m all for it: the case of the week can be flexed this way.

But hey, YMMV, so bye bye. Plenty of other stuff on as well as ITRW.

12. So excited for Castle’s last season!! I really didn’t think they could make it worse, but it amazes me that they can. They hired a showrunner of the most boring tv show on earth, The Following, whose storylines got repetitive and whose characters where not likeable or interesting enough. Then they hired a new cast member whose character’s description is as interesting as a banana. Then they said that Castle won’t work with Beckett which is the worst idea since that mainly is the concept of this show.

Basically the best of the bad news is that they fired Penny Johnson

13. CastleBuzz says:

Never heard of her and can’t recall seeing her in anything. But is would seem as though TPTB might have really wanted Toks specifically since she doesn’t fit the original description of Hayley, which indicated she’d be “a quick-witted, free-spirited former LAPD cop” … in her late 20s. At 39, Toks is older than Stana and she’ll play a former Scotland Yard officer. The latter change may be to accommodate Toks’s accent. Kudos to her for landing the part.

14. R says:

I don’t ‘really have much to add except that the TVline comments on Castle articles continue to get worse and worse… yikes.

15. Missy says:

Is she overqualified? I thought she was going to be in her twenties. She’s got a lot under her belt. COOL :D

• John NYC says:

“overqualified “? Shrug: so just more like the character Dana Delany played than some ingenue….having more grownups onscreen could be good.

• lkh says:

I liked those two episodes…I thought she might reappear.

• Missy says:

I meant that in terms of her originally being a twenty something. I couldn’t imagine how a, say 27 or 28 could have all those former jobs under her belt. I mean, LAPD, Scotland Yard, Security Specialist. It seemed a lot but the character has clearly been aged up to secure this good actress :)

• John NYC says:

Ah, didn’t recall the age from the original news. Then yes they probably got opportunistic when she became available and tweaked the character. A bit like when a sports team drafts the “best available player”.

16. Loved her in The Neighbors. Hope she isn’t a Caskett foil. Esposito needs a love interest, after all. Breaking up Caskett is as absurd as breaking up Ryan and Jenny. It’s contrived drama that isn’t really shaking up as much as it is just lazy drama. Since Lanie really isn’t doing anything with Espo, giving him somebody new could legitimately add new dynamics to the show.

17. Georgee says:

I hope the new added person to castle works out for the good. Writers,show runners and the president of ABC please do not let the new player destroy of love affair between Rick and Kate. I hope you are not that short sighted to let that happen. We all know that the ratings fell allot after episode 128 in season 6 and really did not come back until episode 134 season 7. Monday night football and Ncis La did not help. Wednesday night would of been a better time. If everything goes right the rating will go up and we will have a season 9, with all the main players. And if this does not work and rating go down, I hope that the writers and show runners are big enough to take a hard look in the mirror I found the real problem. We all be waiting for September to see if we will have the time of our life.

18. Columbus says:

She was just on The Fosters as Lena’s half brother’s girlfriend.

19. James D says:

wow the level of hate for this lady already is real. I will wait to pass judgement. maybe she’s a new love interest for Castle maybe not we will see. I hope not, I find that kind of thing to be lazy and exploitative writing and would make me cringe. with that said as a read blooded American male I couldn’t really blame the guy if he “you know what” she is pretty gorgeous. Sorry but I’m nothing if not honest :)

• lkh says:

yikes! is there another color of blood to pick from—don’t say blue.

• Jim says:

If they were not married,I still would be against it because, theres such a thing as loyalty and faithfulness. And since they are married, that would just tarnish the entire show. James, im guessing you are not married, if you are, your poor wife. Im astounded by how many men and women on this site advocate cheating. Enjoy the show if it gets to that. I’ll stick to proper shows with a good story.

• Harvey says:

lol! Jim you are right, cheating is definitely always wrong, I agree it would screw the show up if they do that so You want to fight about how a couple should be, fight that, fight about characters, fight about everything, but ‘poor wife’ and any personal remarks are really not necessary. A lot of things can be said for everyone don’t you think? So how about you keep it related to the show?

• Jim says:

Harvey, I get what you mean , but didnt James himself admit that he wouldn’t blame the guy if he had something on the side while being a married man? Didn’t he say he is a red blooded male and shes gorgeous so its ok to cheat? Didn’t he say he was being honest? So he is directly saying its ok with him, and Im commenting on his statement. If you got offended, well apologize, but Im merely responding to him admitting its ok. In his personal choice, its ok, and I disagree. And yes I feel sorry for any woman who is married to a man who thinks cheating is fine, because its not. Wont apologize for that. Guess Im old school, being married for 28 years and raised in a different era makes a different. But I hear you Harvey, and I do apologize if you got offended.

• James D says:

Jim I’m not married I have never cheated in my life nor would I ever condone it. I find men or women that cheat to be scum pure and simple. I said what I said in jest if that offended you or anyone else I’m very sorry. But she is a gorgeous women IMO. I also said I hope they don’t make Castle a cheater not only isn’t poor writing but it cheapens the character and I would loose all respect for him and would stop watching the show. Just wanted to make that clear. next time I will think before I write.

20. The Watcher says:

Great Actor, Funny Comedian, No Downside. – Plotlines not withstanding, I’m looking forward to seeing her back on TV this fall.

21. John NYC says:

Sounds like they’re going to write her with the brains to match those great looks: looking forward to the character adding to a favorite show!

• lkh says:

What will be upsetting though is if she has dengue fever antibodies. Something’s up then :[

• DarkDefender says:

This made me laugh (with you).. I hope you are wrong, lkh… :P

• Just one thing says:

Yeah, I’m with DD on both fronts. No fortune-telling for you, lkh!
          Speaking of, you know, M3rcNate guessed the casting call around the time the season finale aired? Got it almost word-for-word. You should check it out sometime. Crazy stuff.

• lkh says:

say what? is this more code?

• Just one thing says:

No, seriously. Wade through one of TVLINE’s 120 articles about Castle in May, and look for M3rcNate’s post about what’ll happen in S8. I think it’s like May 15 or so.
            He literally guessed that they’d cast a new woman to investigate with Castle. No joke.

• lkh says:

Dark Defender–where have you been?! Long time no hear. Glad my silliness brought you out.

22. Babygate says:

Impossible to overstate how excited I am about this. Didn’t like how they got rid of Penny. Probably in order to reallocate some of her pay to the more visible actors extending their contracts, but I loved Toks in The Neighbors and I am super stoked about seeing her in this new role. She was so sadly underused in The Fosters last week but these news makes up for that.

23. ludi66 says:

Never heard of her and the show doesn’t need it. It was great as it was.

24. lame says:

This discussion quickly took a right turn and resembles the final lap of the Daytona 500 spectacular twenty car crash. Congratulations, this discussion went down in flames fast LOL.

25. Mark says:

How are they going to write-in in Kate’s current pregnancy

• Jane says:

Nathan said at some con or something that there won’t be a baby. So as much as I would have liked the xy xx title to relate to a baby, we are not getting it. Guess a contrived out of the blue makes no sense kind of thing like breaking them up is more important to the writers than growing a healthy relationship and expanding a family.

26. javadude54 says:

I thought she was brilliant in The Neighbors and she’s absolutely drop-dead gorgeous, so I’m not complaining.

27. jj says:

Not interested. The team of Castle, Beckett, Ryan, Esposito and Lanie are just fine. Don’t need a new regular. Just give Tory more time.

28. GREGO366 says:

For cryin’ out loud. The CURRENT REGULARS cannot get interesting story lines NOW !! Just HOW is a ‘security expert’ gonna fit into a HOMOCIDE SQUAD????

29. KCC says:

Wow, there are so many angry Castle fans. I guess people are so conditioned by TV that they cannot conceive of any reason other than cheating that a marriage would breakup. A cheating spouse does make good drama, but it wouldn’t work for Castle and Beckett. Not if they’re looking to continue the show if Katic leaves after next season (pure speculation). Castle will have to remain likeable as a character. I’m guessing the new character will just be a try out this season and nothing romantic will happen between Castle and her. Just a working relationship. You know, like what happens in real life every day.

• Jane says:

Actually it’s not conditioned by TV, rather it’s conditioned by Castle, the show itself. Look back…everytime a woman has come in to “work” with castle, it’s turned out to be a love interest…past or present. Kyra, Sophia, Serena Kaye, geisha, prostitute in S2, maddie,reporter, etc. he has not just worked with a woman professionally. Of course I’m not including Beckett in this list because she’s the lead female and all these women escapes were to make her jealous etc. plus the whole idea of the show was to build caskett, so it was slow and steady.
      So there you go, fans are not paranoid…they are just acting based on history of this show. Castle has conditioned viewers to think that he is not able to work with a woman professionally without making things personal. The writers have not given is a reason to think castle could work with a woman just professionally.

• Harvey says:

WOW! People really need to understand the difference between a relationship and being single here, lol. When Castle is single, then he does what he wants, no evidence has ever shown that he cheated on anyone, even before in his life! Actually the only evidence is he resisted the reporter than cheating on beckett as much as he can before being forced as he couldn’t have told her he’s with somebody.

• Jane says:

Harvey, it has nothing to do single or not. That’s not my point. My point is the writers have not written a female person castle works with that where things didn’t get personal. Yes the reporter was a ruse etc but the point is it was something that happened right. I’m not blaming castle at all, I’m just saying it’s not paranoid that fans would come to the conclusion that oh hey there’s a new chick working with castle, yeah he will kiss or make out with her, probably undercover like the geisha, then fumble an explanation to Beckett. I’m tired of castle being made to look like a fool. He’s better than that but the writers don’t make him out that way. When something happens often, fans minds automatically go there. All I’m saying is the writers have always made it seem like he can’t work with a woman just professionally. Case in point- take a look at all the spoilers for Hayley. All of them insinuate something “more”. Why? Because the writers of these spoilers are bading it on what happens too…and banking on fans annoyed reactions…because they know fans minds will go to a personal relationship because it’s what we have been conditioned to think. No one worried if it’s a guy working closely with Beckett…ever wonder why? Because other than Eric Vaughn we have no reason to think she would do that. And that’s why reporters don’t even report that spoiler as something “more”. But hey this is justu opinion. Guess I’m just tired of these jealousy playground games.

• Harvey says:

Actually it’s the casting and the way the news is out that everybody suspects that Castle would kiss or make out with her, and if in that way somebody male would have been introduced, same thing would have happened with Beckett. Tvline had said Castle would be spending a lot of time with her, change that and make Beckett would be spending a lot of time with him, the same thing would have happened, and people, even me really cause I hate Eric Vaughn, would have said Beckett would be attracted to that guy. Eric Vaughn’s explanations are way less what Castle does really, but the real problem here is just that the way spoilers are out have made the fans thinking that, not exactly the characters. I am also tired of the jealousy games, especially now they’re married for a year and do agree that they are writing castle character badly, but here fans are overhyping for no reason.

• KCC says:

Lanie, Captain Gates and Tori to name 3 characters Castle has shown zero interest in romantically and they’re the only ones he actually works with regularly. That appears to the be what this new character is going to do. Now, name a reoccurring character that held Castle’s interest for more than 5 minutes? Except his ex-wife he reunited with for a couple of episodes I can not. I agree Castle being a flirt and womanizer is part of the show’s history, but not cheating. Like I said it’s easy drama. I’m not criticizing the fans, just observing that they don’t appear willing to think outside the box.

• John NYC says:

Or that has been shown weekly since this show’s pilot in the working interaction between Beckett, Esposito and Ryan?

• Jane says:

As stated in not including Beckett because she isn’t a random chick, she’s the female lead and it’s a build up love story. And Ryan and espo are guys…lol. Unless castle is meant to be bi which I didn’t know:)

• John NYC says:

My response was to elaborate on ” Just a working relationship. You know, like what happens in real life every day.”

30. Bilal says:

she’s probably the character that makes Castle and Beckett break up and the blind item has been revealed HA!

31. Raven says:

Ohh.. Now I have another reason to tune into Castle!! Excellent Choice!!!!

32. lame says:

Glad to see people know so much about a script the cast has yet to read. How clairvoyant .

33. KCC says:

Everybody seems to be forgetting this tidbit from Matt’s June 19th post:
    “Hayley isn’t the only new face we’ll be meeting when Season 8 opens. The show is also casting the “major recurring” role of a high-strung, East Indian male tech analyst…”
    So not only will Castle be cheating on Beckett with this Hayley character, but Beckett will have an exotic boy-toy of her own because when a new character is added they have to hook-up with one of the leads or what’s the point of adding them.
    What fun!!! Castle and Beckett experimenting with an open marriage.

34. Georgee says:

Last week Stana asked her fans to be patient with the new story writers and show runners, that she was very excited about what was coming in season 8. I agree with that the loyal group of fans wait the October the see what going to happen in season 8. We can all hope the DNA and core we grown to love stays (love affair between Kate and Rick). I hate to have this wonderful show turn into another soap opera, players cheating and jumping in and out of bed with each another. Like a sports team that changes it coaching staff the smart ones keep the main core of the team doing what they have done that made team successful. The other coaches that destroy that core and the team starts to loose fans are asked to leave.I hope the folks at ABC are smart enough to know that basic business theory. With social media the way it is in today world it would not take long for the 8.5 million loyal fans that have watched this wonderful drama for 7 years to start asking for a change starting at the top.Thank You and you have a great day.

35. What’s up friends, its great post on the topic of cultureand fully explained,
    keep it up all the time.

36. lame says:

FYI : form twitter nation, SK hasn’the seen the script yet, so everyone cool your jets.

• lkh says:

Why is that reassuring?

• lame says:

Up till now everything has been speculation verging on hysteria. Let’s wait and see what is fact. So far we haven’t heard anything from Winter/Hawley the only two who actually know.

• georgee says:

We can only hope those two are smart enough not to destroy what took 7 seasons to build.They need to leave the wonderful love story alone. Only time will tell.

37. Sammy Banner says:

We loved her in the neighbors. we are so sorry they took it off. it was pleasant and entertaining

• Georgee says:

It great to have some new faces on the show, as long as she does not drive a major split between Rick and Kate The love affair between those two make the whole show. If ABC destroys that they have no idea what the show was all about. I have been a major fan for all 7 seasons, it is time for a baby castle. The reason Ncis has been around as long as it has is the showrunners are smart enough to leave the main DNA of the show alone.

38. Rogelio says:

I think that what you published made a great deal of
    sense. However, what about this? what if you added a little content?
    I am not saying your content isn’t solid, however suppose you
    added a post title to possibly get a person’s attention? I mean Castle Season 8 Adds Series Regular – Toks Olagundoye as Hayley | TVLine is
    a little plain. You should look at Yahoo’s front page
    and watch how they create post titles to get people interested.
    You might try adding a video or a related picture or two to get readers excited about what you’ve got to say.
    In my opinion, it might bring your posts a little livelier.

39. nooooooo…no toks on castle..nooooo.

40. TommiD says:

I am guessing she is going to be Castle’s partner in the PI agency. This ought
    to cause some friction with Beckett.

41. Mary says:

Don’t like the British accent! Why so many of these accents on every show? I think they purposely add the British stuff because monkey see monkey do.

42. Mary says:

Worth repeating so maybe you’ll get it!