Empire Taps R&B Diva Kelly Rowland to Play Lucious'... Mother?!

We’re not sure if Empire‘s Lucious Lyon is a child of destiny — but his mother most certainly is.

TVLine has confirmed that sometimes Destiny’s Child diva and erstwhile X Factor judge Kelly Rowland will guest-star as the mother of Terrence Howard’s hard-charging label exec — in flashback, of course. E! Online first reported the news.

Rowland is the latest in a string of bold-faced names joining the ratings phenomenon’s second season. Last week, Oscar winner Marisa Tomei signed on for a recurring role as Mimi Whiteman, a lesbian venture capitalist who becomes embroiled in Lyon family drama.

Among the show’s additional sophomore-season guest stars are CSI: Miami‘s Adam Rodriguez, comedian Chris Rock, R&B superstar Alicia Keys and rock god Lenny Kravitz. Additionally, Gabourey Sidibe and Ta’Rhonda Jones, who play Lucious’ and Cookie’s respective lackeys Becky and Porsha, have been elevated to full-fledged series regulars, TVLine reported exclusively in April.

Rowland’s previous acting credits include guest stints on American Dreams, The Hughleys, Single Ladies, Girlfriends and Real Husbands of Hollywood.

Stoked about the “Dilemma” singer finding herself at Ground Zero in the Empire family drama? Sound off below!

1. nate says:

I was hoping she was playing herself cause she can’t act for sh*t

• Steven says:

I thought she was hilariously campy in Freddy Vs Jason and Empire is a pretty over the top soap, so I think Kelly should do fine.

• Ajoda says:

You’ve never even seen her act, can you even name a basis for your stupid ass opinion? Why are you checking for her anyway if it’s just to be negative? Have a seat somewhere wit ya bitter ass

• nate says:

Well someones a little bitch. Yea you’ve clearly never seen freddy vs Jason, or think like a man or real husbands of Hollywood

2. BTM says:

Yay Becky and Porsha!

3. Dude says:

Empire is reaching Glee levels of stunt casting. Didn’t Danny Strong say he’d like to stunt cast less?

• Annie says:

Courney Love was a great casting choice. I don’t care who they cast as long as the character works. I don’t need to see a celeb who is there just to hawk their new music, cough Snoop and Pattie Labelle cough, but I don’t see a problem if a celeb is portraying a well defined character who fits into the story.

4. O'yaya says:

flash black! I can’t wait to see her in a barka

5. Ajoda says:

Great! I love Kelly I was so happy when they played her single I’m dat chick during Jamal’s premiere party. I can not wait

6. ChicagoDan says:

The irony is that Empire doesn’t need stunt casting at all. Keep the organic family/record biz drama. I see a lot of hubris during this off-season. Sadly these stunts will weigh the series down. The track record of shows employing them on such a large level backs me up on that. I hope I’m wrong.

7. Virginia says:

Im team cookie all the way