Fall TV Preview

Good Wife Retains Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Season 7 Regular — Is He (Finally) the One for Alicia?

Jeffrey Dean Morgan Joins The Good Wife

The verdict is in: Alicia will soon be guilty of having her sexual needs met.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is joining The Good Wife in the series-regular role of Alex, a calm and experienced hourly investigator whom Julianna Margulies’ Alicia hires (presumably) to work at her new firm, CBS confirms.

Although there’s no official confirmation that Alex and Alicia will mix pleasure with business, it’s a logical leap to take — especially in light of Matthew Goode’s departure as Finn (not to mention Alicia’s continued estrangement from hubby Peter).

“We’ve loved and admired Jeffrey Dean Morgan for years,” said executive producers Robert and Michelle King in a statement. “And we were thrilled to hear that Julianna did too, so it was a no-brainer to ask him to join our troupe.”

This marks The Good Wife‘s second major Season 7 hire. As previously reported, Torchwood‘s Cush Jumbo has joined the cast in a recurring role (also, possibly, as a private eye).

The gig keeps Morgan in the CBS family; he’s currently starring opposite opposite Halle Berry in Season 2 of Extant. His previous TV credits include Magic City, Weeds, Supernatural and Grey’s Anatomy.

The Good Wife‘s seventh season bows Sunday, Oct. 4 at 9/8c.

1. Ro says:

Whatever happened to Robyn?

• Alex Warheit says:

Robyn is (theoretically) still at Lockhart/Agos/Lee – Alicia needs her own investigator.

• ZacheryD says:

He has big boots to fill

• rowan77 says:

That he does. I wasn’t sure if I was onboard with TGW after the stunt they pulled on the audience at the end of last season. They touted the scene to get everyone to watch, then it turned out to be fakery and splitting hairs to not look like they lied. So that left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan may be just the guy to make me want to watch this show again.

• DW says:

I hope they bring back Robyn for Lockhart-Agos-Lee. They need an investigator now too.

2. Linda F. says:

Darn it, now I’m going to have to start watching this show. I keep trying to reduce the amount of TV I watch and my TV boyfriends keep getting roles on shows and pulling me back in!

• dragons3 says:

LOL. Me too. I’ve never cared much for this show, but if JDM is in it, I’ll watch it.

• Heh heh says:

“Darn it, now I’m going to have to start watching this show.”

That is exactly what I was going to say, ‘Darn it’ and all.

• annie says:

Tell me about it! iI escaped TGW for six years and now I have NO idea what’s going on in this show. Longtime fans: do we have to binge watch now or will we be OK just starting with the S7 premier?

• kn1231 says:

I would definitely suggest you watch it all if you have been away from the show for 6 years. A LOT has changed

• dragons3 says:

I watched a few episodes into season 1 and found it boring, but just based on those episodes, I’d say you should at least skim through the first 6 seasons.

• Lizo says:

Omg NO. Jumping in now would skip some truly amazing storytelling. The first few episodes of any show are rough, but The Good Wife is worth the growing pains. Every season has been exciting, emotional, and a showcase of excellent storytelling & acting. To skip all that is to really do a disservice to yourself.

3. Kristen says:

Love me some JDM. Might need to start watching TGW now..

4. Tom says:

I love how they added that Julianna likes him. That means they can actually be in scenes together.

• Aidan says:

Haha my thoughts exactly!

• Leila says:

This is the best comment ever. I hate that Julianna can do whatever she wants.

• That was a great dig.

• Mike M says:

“…And we were thrilled to hear that Julianna did too…(thank god there was still SOMEONE left that would agree to do it that she will put up with. Now… to try and figure out how to fix this latest Makenzie Vega mess…)”

The Good Wife Reunion Movie (2020):
      (Opening Scene)
      Lift “pings” and doors open. The camera slowly pans over an expansive office space revealing over 50 desks… all empty, then rests on the lift as Alicia exits in the distance. She walks slowly but purposefully into shot and crosses the office space to the front wall as the camera slowly pan zooms in, following her and closing in. As she reaches the firm’s name the camera zooms in on it, boldly fixed to the wall in two components: “Florrick”, “and Associates”. A hand comes into shot and pulls the “and Associates” from the wall and the camera pulls back, pans up and fixes on her broad beaming smile.

• dragons3 says:

I was thinking that JDM and Margulies had worked together on ER, because he did a guest appearance on that show, but I checked IMDB and he appeared after she had left the series. Hope he can deal with whatever nonsense she throws his way.

• dman6015 says:

Hold tight. She’s only just begun to work with him. Remember, she used to be in scenes with Panjabi, too, early on.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Great casting news but I hate to wonder if his other CBS gig Extant could spell the end for the Halle Berry led series even though it’s too early to tell.

• aph1976 says:

I’m sure Jeffrey Dean Morgan could do both shows if he had to.However i think this is good casting by The Good Wife and his character might be a different kind of investigator than the fans of the show are used to,

• dragons3 says:

He managed to appear in two series at the same time, and shot in two different countries (Supernatural — shot in Vancouver, and Grey’s Anatomy, shot in LA), so I imagine he could pull it off.

• linda2009 says:

I just saw today on Twitter that they’ve finished taping Extant; there were photos of the last day on the set. So that leaves him free to do this show, I guess.

6. Great! I really like him and think he and Alicia will be a compelling pair.

7. Noel Gourlay says:

Chris Noth needs more participation.

8. Becky says:

Well . . . I’ve always hoped Alicia would get back with Peter, somehow, someway. But this news has me rethinking that for the first time. Would love to see her with JD Morgan’s character.

9. Eran says:

An investigator, you say? I look forward to CBS’s first ever, split-screen sex scene…

10. Deena says:

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Still wish they could’ve held on to Steven Pasquale somehow.

11. Lianne says:

Why does he even have to be a romantic interest for Alicia? Why can’t he just be a co-star? Not everyone that comes on to a show has to be a potential love interest for anyone.

12. dragons3 says:

YAY!!

13. Mila says:

Officially excited!! Huge Jeffrey Dean Morgan fan but the last shows he was in… not that much. So he finally is in a show I love.

14. fiberlicious says:

DENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Jeri says:

Still watching but I seriously lost a lot of faith & enjoyment with the Archie departure. Hope the show can recover. They need new cast to replace the ones that have left. Hope they’re able to fill the voids.

• dman6015 says:

She was either pushed out or decided that she’d had enough of Margulies. How long before Morgan is doing split-screen scenes?

16. Carl says:

No! This means Jeffrey Dean Morgan won’t be appearing in Supernatural! 😭

17. Gerri says:

Bleche. Not a fan.

18. kiks says:

Brilliant!!! This is one of the possible options I pictured to replace Matthew Goode (I was very disappointed when they did not explore his character as a potential love interest for Alicia) JDM definitely makes up for it! Cannot wait and very happy for JDM. Hope this casting helps with the ratings in the coming season!

19. n says:

He’s a better fit for her. I love Matthew Goode but he was a little to young. She need some action in the bedroom dept. So it’s about time they find some that’s a good match. Can’t wait for next season to come back.

20. LT says:

Considering they’ve “wasted” the last few men on this show trying to pair up with Alicia, I’m really not holding out a lot of hope they can execute another one.

21. Holly says:

Good. I like JDM and would rather see him on The Good Wife than Extant.

22. Nothing new about Alicia, after all there is nothing GOOD about the TRAMP!!!!!

23. Stacie says:

Oh hell yeah!I can’t wait!!

24. aaj says:

Ok, but his character better not die on this show!

25. JB says:

I can’t say I’ve seen him in a lot of shows (Magic City was only so-so but it wasn’t his fault) but I enjoyed him in the recent mini-series Texas Rising.

26. Ginger Snap says:

Oh, please let this be the last season for this show. It’s D-E-A-D..

• rowdyred says:

Your comment suggests that you are tied to a chair without the remote. Otherwise, why would you beg for the show to end, rather than watch apparently against your will? Or — radical thought — something else?

27. Dawn says:

I WANT DEAN MORGAN TO GET TO ” “SUPERNATURAL”. IM ONLY WATCHING RELAVANT CAUSE HE’S IN IT.

28. Lizo says:

Oooooo!!!! This is excellent casting (which shouldn’t be surprising considering The Good Wife always has superb casting). I’m still very annoyed that Matt Goode has left, but JDM is quite possibly an even more perfect fit for Alicia.

29. Corinne Matthews says:

I love JDM! I just hope that he can survive JM’s ego.

30. sssusieq says:

Great casting decision by adding Jeffrey Dean Morgan!!! That’s the only thing that would get me to watch a show about lawyers.

31. Joe says:

I bet Julienne Margules will find SOMETHING in the near future that will piss her off about him, Then the split screen will start again, like with Archie Panjabi. Julienne MUST be real bitch to work with. I hope she gets busted for something and gets thrown in jail for half or full season.

32. alice says:

The person responsible for bringing Jeffrey Dean Morgan to the show, should get a huge raise. There are only a few moments on tv that I will always remember. JDM on Grey’s A. was a great role, when he died and Katherine H. went to his room in her prom dress, there couldn’t have been a dry eye.(there wasn’t in my house) I have always liked “Good Wife” now I will never ever miss the show. I can’t imagine that he wouldn’t be the one for Alicia!