Hannibal Season 4: Amazon, Netflix Don't Bite, But 'Possibilities' Remain

Neither Amazon — which has exclusive streaming dibs on Hannibal and was thought to be a likely savior — nor Netflix will ride to the dark drama’s rescue and foot the bill for a Season 4.

Showrunner Bryan Fuller shared the disheartening news on Monday via Twitter, yet allowed that the studio is “still investigating possibilities” for Hannibal to find a new home:

Hannibal was cancelled by NBC in late June, after airing just three (low-rated) episodes of its third season. Afterward, Fuller told TVLine that his plan for Season 4 was “one of the coolest yet,” and as such he hoped to bring it to life “in some capacity.” (Season 5, pending the availability of rights to the character, would introduce FBI Agent Clarice Starling, Fuller has always, famously said.)

In a recent interview with TV Insider, Fuller said that any new season of Hannibal would ideally run only “9 or 10” episodes versus 13.

1. garlick2 says:

Netflix would have been perfect, but oh well….Hopefully somewhere picks it up, as this story needs to be completed, even if this season is a bit of a mess.

• Bryce says:

I really thought Netflix would lunge at the opportunity. Seemed in its wheel-house. I have yet to watch (life is busy), but I hope for the fans it finds a home.

2. AJJJ says:

I don’t watch this show, but I’d imagine Hulu might be willing to pick it up.

3. Andrew says:

I don’t watch, but I think this could survive on A&E. They have Bates Motel, Damien…why not add Hannibal to the mix?

• johnhelvete says:

WGN- they have Salem, Manhattan a few upcoming shows and could use the positive press for “saving a show”. I think A&E had interest last year, but now that they have Damian (which was originally going to air on Lifetime), combined with the low ratings on NBC, A&E seems doubtful to me.

4. Sara says:

It is my understanding that Netflix was always a long shot, even though they were really interested, because of the Amazon deal. Maybe once that time period is over, Netflix can resurrect the show, as they’ve done with several others. After all, Mads and Hugh have been released from their contracts already and Bryan Fuller needs to get a new deal that would give him time to work on American Gods. It seems like everyone involved with the show wants to continue it in some way, and maybe that is a possibility.

5. Wendy says:

I really hope they get a deal so that this show can have a satisfactory conclusion to the story. It deserves that.

6. dj says:

Have watched Hannibal from the beginning and this season is downright boring.

• Bob Backus says:

Exactly. What a boring disappointment this season was. Absolutely terrible. They got so far up their own backsides having every little character make some stupid philosophical/psychological point- even having the carer for one of the characters answer questions like he was Shakespeare. Just an absolute crapfest compared to the first two seasons.

• Quantumnerd says:

I think this season is awesome! With reviews like yours it’s no wonder no one will pick up the season! :P The whole point of this season is to show how Hannibal has melded with everyone’s psyche. And the philosophical things they point out are showing the connection and merging of Hannibal with his victims. I think it’s brilliant actually! I love how scary it is just visually and even with the music. I wonder if we started a petition to Netflix for them to pick this up, if they would reconsider?

• Erik says:

Quantumnerd,
          I couldn’t agree more, as in any good book, TV series also have character development. This 3rd season has actually been one of the better, like you said they are showing the connection and merging of Hannibal and victims without as much blood and mayhem. I don’t mean to come across as an arrogant prick, but this truly is a show for a more intellectual crowd. I mean I guess we’ve always got season 20+ of dancing with the stars. I will truly miss this show if no-one picks it up.

As with shows in the past that have been brought back (not many), I wonder what besides viewership, ratings, and protests have been the true reason to change an execs mind. I wonder if Netflix would ever consider a partial fundraiser by the fans to help bring back the show. Like a go fund me Season 4 Hannibal. LOL. I’m desperate and would surely contribute.

• I completely agree with you regarding the 3rd season. I’m hoping it will get picked up by someone so I can see more Hannibal unfold!

• kenny says:

I agree dj,I thought it was me at first,on how it must be impossible to have 2 seasons of gripping TV to a very pitiful 3rd.but no,it’s awful and even though it’s picked up a bit,now the episodes that are left are really just copies of the films,hannibal and red dragon..all that’s left now,is for hannibal to eat the entire season 3 script,such a tragic shame to get seriously lazy on a TV programme that was so far out there on its own,it could’ve been a great

7. Stanislava says:

Please,please someone pick it up!!!!!!!!!!!

8. john says:

I think fx would do great with Hannibal they have continuously pushed the boundaries with past shows that have reviewed well rescue me , the shield,it’s always sunny, fargo, justified, ahs etc.

9. Miranda says:

I’m heartbroken. This is BS.
    I’m hopeful A&E will take a stab at season 4. Hannibal feels like a good companion piece to Bates Motel.

10. The Grinch says:

This ain’t gonna happen. Fuller is now working on American Gods. I loved the first 2 seasons but this year has gone so far up its own a** that it’s almost laughable how pretentious it has become. Fuller claims the season finales always work as series finales anyway. You people know what happens anyway. Hannibal is in the psych hospital getting tormented by Chilton and loses his man crush on Will and develops a redneck crush on Clarice. Then escapes again and kills happily ever after.

11. TJ says:

I think it’s time to finally put a fork in this one…

12. John says:

I couldn’t take it anymore. This show has become almost unwatchable. It’s time to say goodbye.

13. AM68 says:

Still holding out hope that some will bite and pick it up!

14. Walkie says:

That stinks. Well at least we got three seasons of a really great show. It will go the way of Deadwood and be canceled before it’s time.

15. mike alldis says:

Damn shame, would’ve been good to see Starling and Hannibal on screen again!

16. Melissa says:

Love Hannibal I’m literally in TEARS! But the mistake was made when it was put on Thursday. Numerous shows are on Thursday and nothing is on the rest of the week. Now Saturday? Who’s home on a Saturday night? I’d be willing to bed well a lot that had it aired another day of the week viewers wouldn’t have fled to other shows. I really hope someone picks it up. It would be great to air on amc with the walking dead.

17. Ptharry says:

I hate when networks deliberately place a show on an unpopular slot just because its too “edgy” for them. So of course, Thursday and Saturday night s thhe perfect time to let an otherwise great show go to die. NBC, if you dont have the stomach for a show like this, yiu could’ve passed and let a cable network be successful with it. COWARDS. Now the fans are left hungry for quality entertainment and it’s not gonna be on NBC!

18. Heather says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Someone Please pick up one of the best shows on! We need intelligent shows and great actors!

19. Barbara says:

I absolutely LOVE this show. I can’t believe it’s not going to be picked up by another network or something. I just watched the last episode of the season and it was AMAZING! I’m a 61-year-old female who loves this kind of stuff and I’m sure there are more like me out there. Please comment people and protest wherever to bring this show back.

20. Mike says:

This season was a let down from the beginning. Week four of five on got better, but it seemed surreal. I hope it comes back with clear direction.

21. klepp0906 says:

Tv networks make it so hard to allow yourself to get into a show. Get emotionally invested in a critically acclaimed show and the networks cancel it?! Seriously??

It HAS to be a new trend. Seems to be happening more often than not these days. :(