Post Mortems

Chasing Life EP on Natalie's Discovery, April's Setback & More Season 2 Scoop

Chasing Life Season 2

Chasing Life kicked off its long-awaited second season Monday, and because it’s not enough for April to merely juggle a wedding and a new career — you know, on top of her ongoing cancer battle — the writers also decided to throw the mother father of all curveballs at Ms. Carver.

I’m referring to the final moments of the premiere, in which Natalie stumbled upon a manuscript (“Chasing Life”?!) written by her father. This, of course, came after April learned she isn’t in remission, Natalie confronted Dominic about his residual feelings for his ex and April’s family voiced its collective concern about her impending wedding to Leo. It was a dramatic hour, even for the Carvers.

Below, executive producer Patrick Sean Smith offers some much-needed insight into the premiere’s biggest twists and previews more drama to come for April in Season 2.

TVLINE | Let’s start with April’s dream, in which she was still with Dominic. Why did you put that in there? What were you trying to say?
We’re entering uncharted waters for April this season, so we wanted to have a touchstone of what her life would be if she didn’t have cancer. It’s a reminder of what her ambitions were and what seemed to be in her future — and what isn’t now. We’re also reminding the audience what Dominic represents in April’s life and questioning how that’ll work in her future.

TVLINE | So it’s safe to say the love triangle is back on in Season 2?
We’re definitely ramping up the triangle this season, more than we have in the past. We needed time to dig deeper into April and Leo’s relationship in 1B and allow Dominic and April to heal from her betrayal of not telling him she was sick, then engage in a relationship with Leo so soon after their breakup. Once we were able to move past that, and the fact that Leo and April are engaged, it creates a ticking clock for Dominic in terms of realizing and accepting that he still has feelings for April. That window of opportunity is beginning to close, so is he going to do something about it?

TVLINE | I love that Dominic ended up being the first person to find out about the engagement.
And he was carrying a teddy bear! You’re just like, “Oh, you poor bastard. You have no idea what’s about to happen to you.” And that’s kind of the story of Dominic, unfortunately.

TVLINE | I was surprised by the little time jump, which didn’t allow us to see everyone’s initial reaction to the engagement. Did you just want to move the story along?
We wanted to, as much as we could, be authentic to what April would really be going through in her treatment. There was a lot of discussion about how involved we wanted to get this season with her life in the hospital, and we realized it was for the best to allow that time to pass. We acknowledged she was in treatment and is now back out in the world. A big part of everybody’s reaction, we thought, would be attributed more to “This is such a crazy notion. There’s no way she’s going to go through with this.” Emma got to voice that for everyone, which was hilarious. As far as the immediate reactions, we can’t imagine anyone would have been negative while she was still going through chemo. Once she was out, it picked up where people started to realize she is serious about it.

Chasing Life Season 2TVLINE | It took two seconds for me to love Krysta Rodriguez’s character. Please tell me we’ll be seeing a lot more of her.
We’ll definitely see more of Vanessa this season. [Rodriguez] has created this whole other energy in someone battling cancer than we’ve ever seen before. She really inspired us to write more for her, both from what she brought to her character and what she’s dealing with her real life as someone who’s been diagnosed with breast cancer and is going through treatment, herself. She’s an inspiration.

TVLINE | April is also on this kick of living life “differently.” Will Vanessa play a major role in that?
Sure. We’re starting April from this place of living life like you know you’re going to die, which we can all technically take a page from. You don’t have to have cancer to realize you’re going to die someday. While she’s pushing herself out of her comfort zone through the season, we wanted a voice that wasn’t Leo’s in the carpe diem sense, but somebody who says, “I decided to be selfish. If my days are numbered, I want to live them for me, not for somebody else.” It’s a lot of different questions that April is asking herself this season, and what that line is for her. What’s too selfish? What’s reckless and out of control to the detriment of her relationships? She’s trying to figure that out while experiencing as much as she can.

TVLINE | Lastly, let’s talk about Thomas’ book. Was that always something you were planning to introduce, and how will it affect everyone moving forward?
Not the book, specifically, but we knew we wanted to explore more of Thomas’ backstory. I feel like we really only scratched the surface in 1A; we didn’t touch it at all in 1B, outside of getting to know Natalie and having her become more a member of the family. We’ve always had this bomb of who Thomas Carver was, and that’s something we’re really going to get into this season. It informs so much of April’s journey in finding her new ambition in life past being a journalist. It’ll test the relationships of the sisters, as well as the relationship between Sara and George. It’s really become sort of a nice place to go to for present conflict, digging into the past and what happened during the events leading up to his car accident.

Your thoughts on the twisted season premiere? Grade the episode below, then drop ’em in a comment.

1. Ian says:

Not surprised there haven’t been any comments.

I know Scott Michael Foster’s got another show, but April’s and Leo’s relationship has become one of, if not THE main draw of Chasing Life, so to have this unbelievable triangle and the absurd idea that April would still have feelings for Dominic (the guy that’s in a relationship with her sister), and that she’d want to kiss strangers now like that’s what living life to the fullest is about, it’s going to get the show cancelled.
    I love the Carvers (Natalie excluded), but they won’t be enough to make me care and want to continue to watch when everything else makes me want to turn the channel.

2. Shannon says:

The one thing I can’t quite wrap my head around is that we’re supposed to feel sorry for Dominic. I don’t think I’ve ever had an ounce of sympathy for him, except when April didn’t tell him about her cancer. All his actions thereafter have just made me roll my eyes and the premiere was no different.
    I love this show, I do, but the love triangle has to go.

• Lerbert says:

I’ll second everything written here. If the show is going to lose the Leo character then the story would be served better with the introduction of a new love interest rather than working to redeem the Dominic situation. From what I’ve read off of the tvline comment boards, people are pretty tired of the love triangle trope in general. Having this happen on a show that has so many other bright points to it is silly.

• tsevca says:

Exactly. I watched the pilot and I had no intention to keep watching it. Then I heard about Leo and as a fan of Greek, continued out of curiosity. In the meantime, my father had cancer and died. It was one of the worst kinds person can get. It took as by surprise and it all took only 2,5 months. The later episodes really helped me deal with that. I don´t really believe when people say that about TV shows, but April is just little older than me, her father also died… There were similar elements and my family had very different, even clashing, ways of dealing with the situation. Watching the episodes when Dominic is gone and suddenly isn´t April´s biggest concern, were really helpful in getting it out of me. Leo´s character was also good for that. But everytime the spotlight is on Dominic again, the show turns trivial.

3. Sade says:

I hate this lopsided triangle they keep trying to push. No one wants April with Dominic. The fact that she is being written as somehow being tempted to go back to her one month relationship with Dominic when she has Leo is absurd.

Dominic has been so petty, childish, and passive aggressive since he found our about the cancer. The fact that he has slept with her sister doesn’t help either. That was a serious writing misstep.

If they keep pushing this triangle they are going to lose viewers.

• KS says:

Yeah, I really don’t understand why they’re acting like April and Dominic had some great love story. If a healthy April had dated this guy for a month and broken up with him, she probably never would’ve thought about him again. This wouldn’t even qualify as a significant relationship in her life, so the fact that she constantly feels like she owes him explanations is just absurd.

4. Ian says:

I seriously started laughing and side-eyeing the tv when he answered the door shirtless! Like April hasn’t got a boyfriend (fiance!) that wins the who’s hotter contest, lol. All it did was remind me that Natalie was all cuddled up on that torso in bed like 2 episodes ago. And he looked better with the chest hair.
    They’re obviously going to put her back with Dominic though, and I won’t be able to watch the show after that. But I’m dreading them villainizing Leo and/or giving him a sudden aneurysm or something to write him out and Dominic back in, and I’m done as soon as it happens.

5. Lauren says:

Absolutely love the show! And second all the comments above about Dom being the worst. I love the show so much that I want to keep watching when Leo inevitably leaves (PLEASE DON’T LET THAT HAPPEN, PSS!) but I’m not sure I could. I don’t mind Dom as a side character (okay, that’s not true, every time he opens his mouth I usually swear at him, but I can still tolerate him and appreciate the actor) but I don’t think I could stomach watching he and April back together. He has treated her appallingly, imo.
    Also i hope we see Brenna’s bone marrow recipient again, I was really interested in that loose thread. I really hope they don’t make Brenna exclusively date girls now, because the fact that we have a bisexual character on TV is really refreshing, and I’d like to see them explore it.
    On a sidenote, I watch both Chasing Life and Devious Maids, and I find it really bizarre thinking of Adrian Powell as April and Brenna (and Natalie)’s father.

6. johnhelvete says:

Leo might be the better character played by the more dynamic actor, but this show is ultimately about a 24 year old woman trying to live with cancer, I dont watch the show solely for the love story and I am fine if April is with Leo, Dominic, new guy yet to be cast or gasp single.

7. Nicole says:

They are pushing the triangle for the drama. It doesn’t really exist they know that. The beginning sequence was a dream… sure it had April and Dominic together but it also had her working at the paper and she didn’t have cancer. It was a dream of what her life could of been without the cancer. And since Dom played a part in her life before she found out about the cancer he was invthe dream.

They are going to ramp up the Natalie and Dom stuff, which is fine with me. I like them, I wasn’t thrilled that she’s Aprils sister. But April was with Dom for like a month or so, it really isn’t that big of a deal. I love the show regardless, ill keep watching no matter what they do cause the story they are telling is way bigger than any relationship on the show. Besides April with her own mortality. Its a great show I hope none of you drop it because of the triangle, its tv this is what sells.

8. Elle says:

I also have Dominic and April together. I’d like him more if he stopped making doe eyes at her all the damn time. I’d like her a lot more if she were as invested in the engagement as Leo is right now. Leo is clearly the one for her and plus his hair is still better. Just sayin.’

9. Wooster182 says:

As soon as SMF is out, then so am I. But I will admit that D/A had chemistry in this episode. I just don’t care.

10. tsevca says:

Dominic is the guy every female heroine must want before she meets the right one. His character is so typical. It´s the good guy that ends up not being with the girl because of something that makes him the bad guy in the relationship, but it´s not so bad that the shows always manage to turn it into the girl´s fault. So she wouldn´t be perfect, she was actually the one that screwed it up, so they had a reason to break up only for him to be actually the good guy that forgives her to have legit love triangle.
    The guy dated a girl with cancer, claims how deep his feeling for her were and had no idea something was wrong. Fine. But he goes away for some time and leaves with agreement that they have a pause and they can have someone in the time he´s away. True, it was her idea, not his, but he went with it. It doesn´t matter he didn´t use the chance, that´s his problem, but he arrogantly presumed he was the only one with free pass to cheat, but it didn´t even occured to him that she might have some opportunity as well. If it was vice versa, no one would blame the guy for using the pause, but when April did it, she cheated on him and is horrible person that tried to use her cancer as an excuse.
    Then he starts dating her sister. Fine, they broke up, he doesn´t owe her anything, but he doesn´t even try to keep it civil. On one hand he claims to want to be her frend after all, but he´d almost throw it to her face. Natalie practicly had to curb him not to do it in a way that would destroy the sisters´ relationship. He acted like he almost wanted it.

Suddenly he wants her again and we should welcome back the triangle storyline?