Falling Skies: Drew Roy Talks Confusing 'Warrior' Cry, Hal's Triangle Troubles

If you couldn’t quite get a read on the 2nd Mass’ reaction to Tom Mason’s “Find your warrior!” battle cry in Falling Skies‘ final season premiere, it’s for good reason.

According to Drew Roy, who plays Hal on TNT’s winding-down sci-fi drama, the cast itself was not sure what their individual characters were to make of their remarkably returned leader’s new attitude.

“In the stage direction, we were all supposed to be giving a ‘hooray,’ but on the day [we filmed it], we all sort of felt like, ‘You know what? I need to take in this situation and make sure Tom is sane as opposed to cheering him on,’ which I think came off in an interesting way,” Roy tells TVLine. “All the background [cast] is gung-ho, while pretty much every principal player is giving Tom this little sideways look, like, ‘Is he saying the right thing? Has he been possessed again? What’s going on?'”

Given how Tom intensely laid out his “take no prisoners” mantra, punctuated by his proffering of an Espheni’s decapitated noggin, Roy says with a laugh that not only was he worried for Tom, “I think Noah [Wyle] might have even been, when he first got those lines!”

Whether Mason’s eldest son falls in line remains to be seen, since, Roy Notes, Hal is now very much his own man, leading battalions and making tough calls.

“One of the best parts of playing Hal was how he had this long arc from the beginning to end,” the actor observes. “[In Season 1] he was just this hotheaded kid who would pretty much do anything his dad said. But in the past season and this season, I think he’s finally found his confidence. He has his own opinion about things. So, just because his dad is saying something or trying something, it doesn’t mean he’s necessarily going to go along with it.”

Of course, as the 2nd Mass launches this final campaign against the wounded Espheni, Hal will have matters of love as well as war to grapple with. In the season opener, Hal reiterated to Maggie his feelings, asking that she requite them by hurting his brother Ben and ending their Espheni spikes-sparked “relationship.” Maggie, however, maintained that she — and certainly not Hal — has control over her and Ben’s otherworldly connection.

“I don’t think he’ll ever be able to give up on [Maggie],” Roy says, “but he has decided, ‘Alright, this is just the new way in life. Apparently, she’s got something for my brother and vice versa. It’s above and beyond them, but I love them both so I’m going to have to let this be a part of our relationship.’

“But that’s easier said than done,” Roy warns. Rather, Hal’s latest heart-to-heart with Maggie “really cues us up for more of that love triangle this season.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Want more scoop on Falling Skies, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. justsomeguy says:

Falling Skies could have been so good. Instead, they introduced Lexi, the love triangle, and destroyed every good character they have. At least TNT is finally putting it to rest now. I hope other shows use this show as an example of what not to do.

• Zach says:

I stopped watching last season, about a quarter of the way through. I came here to find out if it got better any because I was considering catching up. Based off your comment, it only got worse? That’s so disappointing. Like you said, it had a lot of potential.

• ? says:

It’s hard to keep watching. Show had so much promise before last year.

2. James D says:

I love this show and will certainly miss it when it’s gone but seriously the weird love triangle thingy was such a bonehead move it makes my stomach hurt. I wasn’t thrilled about the Lexi storyline last season but it was a heck of a lot better than that. I guess I’ll just have to see where it goes. with that said I like Drew a lot he’s a decent actor and seems like a good guy I hope he picks up another pilot soon.

3. cjeffery7 says:

the love triangle has always been a little squicky to me. Hal was like a senior in high school at the beginning of the show then the next season or whatever he’s practically in a committed relationship with Maggie and i’m like wait, he’s still a teenager, regardless of how much this kind of thing makes you grow up. and now Ben, who’s even younger is now connected to Maggie and I’m like wait, so HOW much time has passed in this show? is it equivalent to real life? plus it’s just a completely contrived love triangle. I would honestly rather have Karen back to stir up drama. she’s far more interesting to watch than Ben trying to suss out his feelings for Maggie and his brother. and what about that other spiked girl who was more age appropriate? she seemed cool.

• Derision says:

“other spiked girl” – she was literally ripped in half by skitters during the premiere last week.

• cjeffery7 says:

well then fuse her back together! haha just kidding. clearly i haven’t been keeping up, schwoops. still would love a more age appropriate friend for Ben. he’s so freakin’ broody and serious and genuine all the time.

• ? says:

Maggie is a 34 year old woman in a love triangle with two teenage brothers. It’s a little weird.

• cjeffery7 says:

while the actress is 34, i dont think the character is meant to be, but yeah, basically. falling skies wiki claims she’s in her mid 20s with hal at 22 and ben 20. as long as they don’t bring matt into this plot line i’ll be able to deal

4. mike says:

I have feeling that one of the Mason Brothers ain’t going to survive

5. James says:

I think if Earth wins at the end of the show, it will be just too Spielberg convenient, with the remnants of alien tech and life forms are all over the planet the former homo sapiens will eventually find a hybrid crisis evolving like ‘Alien Nation’, pointing too ultimate extinction of human life as we know it. The concept of patriotism, flags and Nationalistic jingoism won’t mean much either, but it’s anybody’s guess regarding religion.