Performer of the Week: Missy Peregrym

Rookie Blue Performance

THE PERFORMER | Missy Peregrym

THE SHOW | Rookie Blue

THE EPISODE | “Perfect Family” (July 2)

THE PERFORMANCE | This Thursday, officer Andy McNally faced a frightening future with her boyfriend Sam: he’s about to start a family, and it’s not with her. As the cop contemplated how to handle the fact that her beau’s ex, Marlo, is pregnant with his baby, Peregrym deftly and vividly brought alive the pathos and conflicting emotions within her character. How does she help raise a child that isn’t hers? Can she even do that? Should she leave Sam so he can be with Marlo? All those questions and more plagued a terrified Andy throughout the hour. You could practically see her mind racing with possibilities.

In the end, Andy decided she wasn’t going to give up on her relationship despite the challenges ahead. During a heartfelt and emotional declaration to Sam, Peregrym laid bare all of Andy’s feelings – and proved she will be one heck of a wonderful stepmother one day.

“Did I want to be the woman to make you a father? Yes,” she confessed to her boyfriend, voice cracking. “But just because this isn’t what I pictured, doesn’t mean I fold, OK? I have no idea how to do this. And I know it’s not going to be easy. But what I can say is that I love you. And I will show up, and we’re going to figure this out. I promise you, there’s not going to be a day where that child does not feel wanted or loved by me.”

Even though there were tears in her eyes and fear in her voice, Peregrym’s performance during the memorable speech also reminded us of the qualities that we so admire in the officer: her strength, conviction and commitment. You could say she was simply arresting.

HONORABLE MENTION | Defiance LeonidasFriday was Truth Day for Defiance‘s Irisa and Nolan, as the father/daughter figures took an arktech-fueled journey through shared memories. And as they laid eyes on these “lost” moments, Brit Stephanie Leonidas made evident her Irathient’s internal struggles. Revisiting the first anniversary of the Arkfall, Irisa — at the time but a tyke — was taken aback to truly process Nolan’s anti-Votan behavior. Next, we saw pre-teen Irisa being taught the “right” time to kill in cold blood. Then, after Nolan discovered that a teenage Irisa at one time nearly killed him in his sleep, Leonidas stepped to the fore as her character derided her maturation into a person now seen as only a killer. Painful was Irisa’s decision to leave town and start anew; more painful, her realization that she cannot.

HONORABLE MENTION | POTW_AtiasAll Tyrant‘s Leila Al-Fayeed wants is to be a good “mother” to the country of Abbudin. But the brutal gas attack on nearby Ma’an, designed to suppress the rebel faction, has left her the First Lady of a ruthless, besmirched player in the global community. For the brief time Leila believed Jamal’s spin on the situation, Moran Atias showed us a powerful woman at a loss, yet endeavoring, to aid her assaulted neighbors. But when the truth about Jamal’s complicity in the tragedy slapped her in the face, the Israeli actress made crystal clear how deeply Leila loves her country, almost a moot issue now that Jamal’s irreversible affront has betrayed Abbudin as well as his wife.

Which performances knocked your socks off this week? Hit the comments!

1. Yonas says:

She’s still Jackie from Life As We Know It to me

2. CourtTV says:

The Nolan/Irisa dynamic is one of the best parts of Defiance.

3. Tessie says:

Missy Peregrym is fantastic, and was particularly stellar in this episode. So nice to see her recognized.

4. Annmarie says:

I thought Yvonne Strahovski’s performance on this week’s Astronaut Wives Club was beautiful. She is so good at quiet moments and the scene between Rene and Scott in the bathtub was stunning!

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Missy Peregrym is one of the hottest Canadian actresses I’ve ever seen and she deserves to be the performer of the week.

6. liame says:

Slow week.

7. HAP says:

I got a chuckle when they cast Missy on Rookie Blue as Andy, after she played a character named Andi on Reaper. I still miss Reaper.

8. Byron says:

So glad that Moran Atias got the honorable mention. The described scene was powerful and beautiful, as was her portrayal when confronted at the care center. The nearly indescribable combination of shock/horror/disgust/empathy/sympathy… And all just on her face, in her eyes, with no dialogue – nothing that could be said – actually took my breath away; great performance, thanks for including it.

9. Kate says:

Rami Malek as Elliott in Mr. Robot is hands down the best performance I’ve seen on TV in ages!

10. Dennis says:

Loved her in The WB’s ‘Black Sash’ !!

11. A.M says:

Even though I’m not a fan of Sam and Andy…Missy brought it 100% in that scene, she made us feel what she was feeling…She was amazing

12. For me, it was Laurence Fishburne, Mackenzie Davis and Scoot McNairy.

13. S says:

Sam Waterston and Lily Tomlinson on any and every episode of “Grace & Frankie” are the perfect blend of character quirk and honest emotion. They make me feel so much while laughing my butt off.

14. Shannon says:

Alexander Koch from Under the Dome did a pretty good job of that scene in the woods with Sam this week.

15. Ded says:

All 3 are excellent choices!

16. Diane says:

I agree Missy’s performance was great and very emotional. The strength and integrity she brings out in her role as Officer Andy McNally is always good to watch. I loved her in the movie Sticking It. You can tell she is very strong but obviously she can do the pulling of the heartstrings stuff as well. I really hope Rookie Blue will be back again next summer because I have enjoyed every episode of this show.

17. I STRONGLY WISH & HOPE THAT TV SERIES ROOKIE BLUE CONTINUES NEXT SEASON 7 & MANY MORE SEASONS TO COME PLEASE? THIS IS A REALLY GOOD SERIES & MANY PEOPLE HERE IN CANADA ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW INCLUDING MYSELF &PLEASE? KEEP MISSY PEREGRYM ON ROOKIE BLUE AS THE LEADING STAR ACTERESS! MISSY PEREGRYM DOES HER ACTING PERFORMANCES EXCELLENT ! VIEWERS HERE IN CANADA ALL HOPE INGLY HOPE THAT ROOKIE BLUE TV SERIES CONTINUES ON FOR MANY MORE SEASONS TO COME PLEASE? INCLUDING SEASON 7TH. THIS MESSAGE POSTING FROM GARY LOUIS TRIESELMANN OF KITCHENER, ONTARIO, CANADA N2G4L7 I’M A BIG TIME VIEWER OF ROOKIE BLUE TV SERIES & I M ALSO A LONGTIME BEST GOOD CHRISTIAN FRIEND ALWAYS! OF MISSY PEREGRYM S