Rookie Blue Recap: Father Doesn't Know Best — But Does Sam?

Rookie Blue Season 6

Christopher Hayden, you’re a bad, bad dad.

Gilmore Girls vet David Sutcliffe plays really against type on Thursday night’s Rookie Blue as an abusive, overly controlling, super-strict father (to Orphan Black‘s Zoé De Grand Maison, aka Gracie!).

How horrible is he? “It’s not an appropriate shirt,” has never sounded so disturbing. And he makes his daughter sleep in a freezer in the garage when she’s “bad.” (Poor Gracie — from one crazy dad to another.)

His wife is completely subservient and afraid to challenge him, let alone leave him. But when she finally opens her eyes to the cruel example her husband has set for their kids — little bro poisons his sister for her rebellious behavior like dad did with their family dog — she vows to protect them no matter what.

But really, the storyline is a conduit to let Andy and Sam sort out their feelings about the big news that his ex Marlo is going to have his baby. Seeing how someone can do it completely wrong, Sam realizes he has a real shot at not screwing up his kid.

“For the first time in my life, I think I could be a good father,” he tells Oliver. “I know I’m not going to be like my dad. That’s because of McNally. I couldn’t wait to do this with her. How am I supposed to do this with Marlo?”

Oliver’s advice: “The best thing you can do for your kid is just to be happy yourself.”

Meanwhile, Andy is struggling to figure out where her place is in this new dynamic. She confesses to Traci that she’s terrified and has no idea how to do this or if she even can do it. Maybe it’s better for her to just step away and let Sam be with Marlo, so the child can have a real family, she thinks.

But after everything both she and Sam witness with their case, it’s obvious that there is no such thing as the perfect family, and it’s up to the parties involved to take control.

“Did I want to be the woman to make you a father? Yes,” an emotional Andy replies. “But just because this isn’t what I pictured, doesn’t mean I fold, OK? I have no idea how to do this. And I know it’s not going to be easy. But what I can say is that I love you. And I will show up, and we’re going to figure this out. I promise you, there’s not going to be a day where that child does not feel wanted or loved by me.”

Bravo! Although this storyline has all the makings of a soapy trope, the show has handled it very gracefully thus far, first with Sam being upfront with Andy about the news and now with Andy’s very mature and honest response. And Missy Peregrym nailed her character’s conflicting emotions in that final scene.

Elsewhere in the episode:

* The only guy Dov and Marlo can connect to the bomb from last season’s finale has not only disappeared, but he also supplies explosives to the police department. Uh-oh.

* Chris tries to break up with his married lover Jamie, but she distracts him – repeatedly. It makes for good times at home for someone else. “Happy wife, happy life,” her husband comments.

* Nick and Juliet continue to flirt with each other and be cute. Just get together already, you two!

Rookie Blue fans, what did you think of Andy’s speech?

1. gina says:

I really enjoyed your review! I agree. This has the makings of a very soapy story. Sam and Andy are shinning, especially Andy. Missy was wonderful!!! I will never understand why they decided to go this route. Marlo is not a very likable character, but I’m just focusing on Sam and Andy. And they are blowing me away!!!

2. kiks says:

loved the last scene so much! Missy was fantastic…very emotional and raw

3. Mr. Tran K says:

I rather shipped Andy & Sam.

4. Evan says:

Obviously based on the tease at the end of Episode 1, Juliet’s IA. I wonder what they think is going on at the station that warrants their attention?

5. I really, really wish y’all weren’t so far behind from where we are in Canada. I desperately need to talk about the whole Steve/Oliver thing that happened…

• Kim R says:

It’s getting good! :)

• bigdede says:

That hurt my feelings. I live in the US but I’ve watched the 7 episodes. SPOILER when Gail told Leo she could be his aunt, that was so cute. Now I fear that will never happen.
      Why is Duncan still a cop? He’s neither funny or cute. Less Chloe the better. So far this season is making up for that god awful last tv season. I hate Marlo. She is so unlikable. Dov makes her tolerable but she’s still not likable.

• fatalsin says:

OMG I know im down here in the us but I watch online… I’ll say I do think there is ALOT of story we dont know and that like you know who that just got accused first that hes innocent but there is something more to his story…but we will see… she sure looked very worried and upset when she realized… not using names and being evasive for those who havent seen so hope you understand what im saying!!

6. Excited fan says:

Lovin the start of Rookie. Great storylines and acting.
    Wishin the writers were more creative with Chris’s character. He’s pretty much a good lookin, ex druggie bone head.

• MLPR says:

Yes! I wish they would do something better with him and Gail. She used to be such a great character. Now I feel like she’s in the background, and when she isn’t, they give her the typical “we’re not sure what to do with this character” problems. “Maybe I’m a lesbian, maybe I should adopt a kid, etc.” And I used to like Chris’ idealism, too. He was such a great conscience for the rest of the crew. I don’t get where they are going with his character, either.

7. MJ Aldaco says:

I loved how Andy on Rookie Blue told Sam that she would work things out with Marlo’s baby and no matter what she will be loved, that’s shows she’ll be a good stepmom. Good job, love the show. Love them as a couple, best show yet.

8. jbthomson2014 says:

Another awesome F150 truck scene but I’d say it was the most powerful!Sam and Andy have worked together to be where they are now. She’s determined to not lose the man she’s destined to be with. They’re committed to one another and no obstacles will get in their way to destroy what they have. She’ll be a good stepmom. Missy should receive an award for her performance in RB!!