Fall TV Preview

Empire Signs Marisa Tomei to Play Lesbian Billionaire in Season 2

Marisa Tomei Joins Empire

Cookie Vs. Mona Lisa Vito? Count us in!

Oscar winner Marisa Tomei is joining Empire‘s Season 2 cast in a recurring role, TVLine has confirmed.

According to Deadline, which first broke the news, Tomei will play Mimi Whiteman, a demanding venture capitalist who becomes embroiled in Lyon family drama. A member of Forbes‘ billionairess club, Mimi is a lover of hip hop music, social trends, high-end fashion and — lesbian alert! — beautiful women.

Tomei was recently cast as Gloria Steinem in Ms., HBO’s upcoming miniseries about the social activist and feminist icon.

Empire‘s sophomore season bows Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 9/8c.

1. Sarah says:

Big coup for Empire. Hope she gets a role that lets her shine.

2. Aha says:

So a potential love interest to Cookie?

3. O'yaya says:

Cookie’s gonna get some lady nookie at least a kiss I’m predicting that now I maybe going down my own rabbit hole but …..is she the storyline that was supposedly going to piss people off? I personally always assumed cookie was Bi

• BenM says:

I think Cookie being bi would be a mistake by the writers. I like that Jamaal is accepted by a parent who is straight and I think a lot of the social power of that relationship could be lost if its “Cookie only accepts him because she is like him”.

• O'yaya says:

I see your point, but at this time in the show Luscious already accepts jamal. Also I don’t think it loses any weight if Cookie is Bi I think it adds weight because she already accepts that part of her and doesn’t care plus they kind of dropped a few hints in season one: when she said Anika’s debutante speech made her “hot” and the tongue comment she made to Camilla… also she was in prison for 10+ years im sure something went on

• BenM says:

You make fair points. I have always felt as though cookie’s comments have been made to provoke reaction, but I could see it playing your way too. And I know Lucious now accepts Jamaal, but still.. its ‘just now’ vs ‘his entire life’. Cookie always had his back.

• Annie says:

I think that Lucious’ change of heart is more about manipulating Jamal, and not so much about accepting him.

I think that Cookie’s comments to Camilla and Anika were about trying to tear them down.

4. Margo says:

Is it is September yet?! So stoked for season 2!!!! Going through #cookiewithdrawal

5. BenM says:

Would it be weird if she ended up in a relationship with Tiana? I want more Tiana. No weirder than Hakeem with Camilla, I suppose. Still – it is seriously awesome to see Marisa Tomei on this show.

6. FtheFreys says:

Awesome news. I love her. I have a feeling Empire’s sophomore season is going to be great.

7. Mark says:

I could see her be in a relationship with Anika. Anika seems like she might swim in the lady pond for opportunity purposes.

8. JoelBlanco says:

Venus Aspect provides simple however helpful workouts that give maximum fat loss advantages.

9. jbj says:

I thought that was a picture of Shenae Grimes before I read the headline! Good for Ms. Tomei, not so much for Ms. Grimes, lol.

10. Rick Donnell says:

Tomei probably plays for the other team already (part-time at least)

11. Joe says:

How about a Chinese person or something? Be original!

• hud says:

Chinese/Russian lesbian shemale. That’s good TV. What has happened to standards?

• Annie says:

Standards? What does this have to do with a person’s race, sex or sexual orientation? People want to see diversity on television. There is nothing wrong with that.