Ratings: Extant Returns to Series Lows

Extant Season 2

CBS’ retooled Extant opened Season 2 on Wednesday night with 5.2 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating, down 46 and 56 percent from last summer’s series launch, off 4 and 36 percent from its freshman finale and hitting series lows on both counts.

TVLine readers gave the season opener an average grade of “B-.”

Opening the Eye’s night, Big Brother (5.8 mil/1.8) slipped 16 and 14 percent from its week-ago premiere.

Over on Fox, MasterChef (4.3 mil/1.4) ticked down, while Bullseye (2.8 mil/0.9) inched up… ABC’s Wife Swap (2.9 mil/0.8) dipped a tenth.

1. Linda says:

Papa Winchester

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Tough start for Extant in its new season.

3. Jimmy says:

Halle Berry can do so much better than this sci-fi-ish crap.

4. Eric7740 says:

Extant was LUCKY to get a 2nd season. I still don’t understand why it did, and with those numbers, it looks like I was right.

• Pennagirl says:

Because TPTB are under the misapprehension that Halle Berry starring in a role automatically equates into solid viewership. I am with you…how did the show even get renewed??

5. mj says:

Damn! Sounds like they corrected what didn’t work last season. And now Daddy Winchester is on boar. hope ratings improve in +5

6. Diane says:

I watched last night and liked it. I didn’t watch last year. I tried, but gave up after one episode. I tuned in only for Morgan. I’ll watch again, next week.

• JBC says:

I watched for Morgan too. I never saw the first season. I liked it more than I thought I would.

• dan says:

I watched all of last season, even as it got worse and worse each week. Just had to see how the train wreck ended. I was shocked that it was renewed. I’m surprised to report that I liked the season two premiere more than expected. I’m not sure I “buy” all the changes (Julie is a bad girl now; John was hit by a train…but is he dead?) but I liked how Molly’s character had an edge and the JD Morgan character was fun to watch. I’ll stick around for a few more episodes and hope it stays on the tracks this year.

7. suzyku says:

I didn’t bother to watch season 2 premier of extant because season 1 was simply boring and awful and I just didn’t care!

• herman1959 says:

Too bad you didn’t watch, it was much better due to A LOT of rewrites for the main characters – I never liked or trusted Julie. I agree with a previous poster: it was almost like an entirely new show. I’m sticking with it.

8. Television says:

Maybe they shouldn’t have gotten rid of the only characters/actors we liked.

9. Kristine says:

Even the wonderful JDM can’t save this klunker of a show. Put a fork in it.

10. Angus says:

Why hasn’t this crap been cancelled. I couldn’t make head nor tails of it last year.

11. ANGIE says:

How do you go from being Halle Berry A-lister to Halle Berry tv personality and be believable? I have always considered Halle Berry a larger-than-life movie star and to see her take this plunge is a shame.