Dukes of Hazzard Dropped by TV Land: Bad Rap for the Good Ol' Boys?

How much to get the The General Lee a new paint job?

That question might be on the mind of Dukes of Hazzard fans after TV Land yanked twice-daily reruns of the show earlier this week due to controversy over the Confederate flag emblazoned on the roof of the 1969 Dodge Charger driven by its central characters, Bo and Luke Duke.

The move follows a decision by Warner Bros. to cease any Dukes merchandising deals involving the Confederate flag — a racially charged banner that’s come under renewed scrutiny following white supremacist Dylann Roof’s murder of nine members of a historically black Charleston, S.C. church last month.

“Warner Bros. Consumer Products has one licensee producing die-cast replicas and vehicle model kits featuring the General Lee with the Confederate flag on its roof,” the company noted in a release. “We have elected to cease the licensing of these product categories.”

Dukes alum Ben Jones, who played Cooter on the early ’80s series, spoke out on Facebook against the controversy surrounding the vehicle, noting “that flag on top of the General Lee made a statement that the values of the rural south were the values of courage and family and good times… Activists and politicians are vilifying Southern culture and heritage as being bigoted and racist. We know that is not the case. And we know that in Hazzard County there was never any racism.”

CMT also airs Dukes of Hazzard reruns, but a quick scan of Xfinity cable listings shows no upcoming episodes in the next two weeks.

Did TV Land make the right move in yanking the campy series from its airwaves? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. As a child of the 80’s, the fourth option offends me :) Take it down! :)

• tom grommes says:

THE show called the JEFFERSON’S was a show of the 80’s and was a lot more in the race card than the DUKE’S so lets take it down and burn it.

• Joey says:

I don’t think you’re comprehending. Its not about being a symbol of race. Its about being a symbol of hatred.

• Anthony Marusic says:

If it offends you…then don’t watch it. It was my favorite TV show as a kid in the 80″s and still is today. The Dukes of Hazzard was a show about family, helping your neighbor, and good versus bad. The Jeffersons were far more offensive, but nobody worries about that. A man not liking his daughter in law because her father was white and he didn’t want “zebras” for grandchildren? This country is taking itself way too seriously. If you don’t believe in God, don’t go to church. If the Confederate flag bothers you, don’t watch The Dukes of Hazzard. Many of us enjoy it and love it. This is still America isn’t it? We’re suppose to have choices and I choose to enjoy The Dukes of Hazzard.

• barb stahl says:

Exactly! George was always calling Tom a honky or zebra. now come one did you ever hear anything like that on the dukes of hazzard. I grew up on these shows and loved everyone of them, I didn’t find them offensive and still don’t I love to watch them all daily. Even the show Different Strokes. I mean come on. what is wrong with the world?

• J-Black says:

The Jeffersons was a spin off of All in the Family. I wonder why and how you skipped to the Jeffersons?

• Anthony Marusic says:

What does the Jefferson being a spinoff of All in the Family have to do with anything? People tend to overlook blacks insulting whites. George Jefferson doesn’t want “zebras” for grandkids. Uses the word “honky” regularly and nobody says a word. Love how you brought up the unimportant point of how somebody skipped over to the Jeffersons. That’s the whole point here. Nobody wants to discuss the racism on the Jeffersons. Only the predominantly white cast TV shows.

• RealityKnowlege says:

The point was that All in the Family was skipped and u go straight to the Jeffersons. Archie Bunker used racial terms about “all” non white people. So what u r saying is untrue. It’s the symbol of that show, the dukes of Hazzard and the flag. Not TV show with a white cast

• 21redneck says:

You’re stupid then Your stupid then if you think it should be burned if you don’t like it move somewhere else

2. Joe says:

Really TV land , the Dukes of hazard was a family show in the 80s they showed it 8 o’clock, and now it’s considered racist? That’s a little to PC for me

• That’s the problem. They aren’t judging it based on merit or context or values or anything like that. This is entirely reactionary. “It has the flag, therefore it must go!”

• The Dukes is to the Confederate flag what Hester Prynne was to the Scarlet Letter.

That’s how symbolism works. It’s fluent and mutable. Not static and set in stone.

I haven’t read the Scarlet Letter and even I know this, so there’s no excuses.

• Patrick says:

No, the show itself wasn’t racist. But the flag is. Its unfortunate, but it is nonetheless the correct decision to yank the show. The flag has been appropriated by the very worst people and groups, and as such yanking anything showing it is a good and moral decision.

• In the context of the show, the flag is not racist in the least. That’s what matters here.

• tvjunkie says:

If the confederate flag is racist, then doesn’t that make the American flag anti-British? Shouldn’t we take down the American flag so as to not offend the British?

• Sharie Plewa says:

so shall we also yank shows showing a cross, or american flag, or raised fist, ( kkk, kkk and aryan brotherhood, and the black panthers)

• J-Black says:

How is the “raised fist” racist? It was implemented during the Civil Rights FIGHTING RACISM. Black Power had nothing to do with power over whites or superiority. It meant that black people recognized that in uniting for a just cause power could be found. KKK White Power is not the same a Black Power. The roots and goals are totally different.

• Tracy says:

The Confederate flag is not racist unless you are one of those people who makes everything about race! The Confederate flag is about the South!

• Joey says:

I’m so sorry that the US education system has failed you so badly.

• Brian says:

Tracy,
            You are 100 percent correct. Joey is the one who has been indoctrinated by the US education system and doesn’t even know it. But then again, that’s what indoctrination is supposed to do.

• Joey says:

If Brian actually knew what he was talking about, he would also tell you that what we think of today as the Confederate flag didn’t come into major usage until the 1950s and 1960s when the Civil RIghts Era was in its heyday, but also was used in the 1940s after President Truman proposed making lynching a federal crime.

• A flag is not racist, the person holding it is. And NOT every person is.. too far

• Katie says:

THANK YOU! I agree completely. This is literally the silliest thing I’ve ever seen. I understand trying to be compassionate when the tides are as troubled as they are these days, but no one thinks of The Dukes of Hazzard and immediately thinks about the racism. Because it’s not racist.

• Gail says:

Flags are not racist…PEOPLE are! Let’s get real!!

• buddy banks says:

People please do your homework and not fall into the PC propaganda, the flag is not racist , wow I guess its OK to rewrite history now too ,

• Michael haswell says:

Hey Patrick! Why don’t you move to Russia where Putin tells you what to think! And that includes all the other stupid people who think in PC terms.

• Marcus says:

I wish people would learn that a item itself is not offensive it is how it is used. If you post the flag to support your family history, it is not offensive. If you post it calling all blacks the N word. Then it’s offensive, it’s not the flag but the people. Grow up America!!!!

• Anthony Marusic says:

How was it the correct decision to take it off the air? Nobody is forcing you to watch it. I have loved this show since I was a kid in the 80’s and still do today. If people wanna watch the Dukes of Hazzard, they should be able to. I despise rap music. Does this mean it should be banned? Of course not. So, I don’t listen to it. People nowadays seek out things that offend them and complain about them. I keep asking…is this not still America?Is this not still a free country? We are allowed choices everyday. I choose to enjoy the Dukes of Hazzard, Yanking a show that offends people just caters to this country becoming the Soviet Union of yesteryear. Should we ban The Bob Newhart show too? Many of the jokes were about Bob’s patients phobias and fears. In this politically correct era, isn’t it wrong to laugh at mentally unstable people? Wake up people!!! It’s a TV show!! If you don’t like it…CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!!

• Temperance says:

So, in short, with more thought and deliberation than and Congressman ever spends (which is to say none).

• Even as a kid watching this show, I had this unsettling feeling about why their cool car is racist. I’m all for it if they just digitally take the flag off the roof of the car and air that. The show would be exactly the same.

• Cecile says:

If the show is gonna be the same without it, then it’s the same with it. Stop being offended by something so made up.

• Anthony Marusic says:

Digitally take the flag off the roof? A racist car? That is absolutely absurd!!! The Confederate flag was and is a symbol of the south. The show took place in the south and the Dukes were deep rooted in their southern history. Even with that said, the Duke family was not racist. There were some black characters on the show from time to time and they treated them with respect the same way they did everyone else. If it bothered you as a kid, why did you watch it? Seeing as how it still bothers you …don’t watch it now. Why should we have to edit things so as not to offend people? If something offends me, I don’t watch it. There were more Polish jokes on All In the Family that I can count. I’m Half Polish and that is still the funniest sitcom I’ve ever seen. (Another TV show that people cry about being offensive) If the Dukes of Hazzard offends people, they don’t have to watch it. I never heard of anyone being offended by this show before the killings at the church down south. Now everybody is scrambling to stir up feelings of hatred and racism, but banning an iconic 80’s TV show that was about family, helping friends and neighbors and good versus bad is absolutely ridiculous!!!

• Mike says:

Left wing Anti-Polish Bigot Norman Lear’s “All in the Family” created COAST-TO-COAST Anti-Polish Bigotry with his show’s “Polish jokes”… that Americans IMITATED and used to treat Polish Americans like garbage. And the disgusting thing is the Origin of “Polish jokes” is Nazi German propaganda. You have to be a white trash low life jerk to like “All in the Family”.

3. thisismenow says:

The Confederate Flag bans are getting out of hand. Games (including historically set ones) are being removed, shows and movies are being banned and it’s really becoming quite silly. The Confederate Flag is still a piece of history from an event that happened. Civil War reenactors can’t even buy the flags as easily because “they are an object of hatred”. When you begin to overly sterilize thing, nobody actually wins. Removing a flag from existence doesn’t change the past. People put way too much effort into things that aren’t important and ignore issues that actually are doing actual harm.

People need to toughen their skin. The over zealous politically correct world does more harm than good. You’ll always offend someone, because no one is 100% satisfied. But when you whitewash the world, you’re left with a pretty exterior and nothing on the inside.

• brandi says:

Well said. This whole thing is ridiculous. I’m sure it will eventually blow over, but by then the damage will have been done.

• Aileen says:

I agree with you, the whole issue about the flag, and this one incident, have been way over blown. Those that erase the past, are doomed to repeat it. I do believe the black people who have defaced statues stating “black lives matter” have put them selves above the law. The fact is that ALL LIVES MATTER!! I say no more to this, let things be, before you know it the will be trying to change all flags to satisfy them. Why can’t we all just live together in peace. You can’t change history, or the past, but if we can’t live in peace. we will be doomed to repeat it. GOD BLESS ALL THAT READ THIS, and remember that no one is above the law, unless you want to live like animals.

• Joey says:

“the whole issue about […] this one incident, [has] been way over blown.”

People being upset about a racist murdering nine people in church is way overblown. That’s what you just said, just so you know.

4. brandi says:

Well it’s not like they can just fix it. The show is 30 years old. I guess they could try CGIing the flag out of every scene with the car. Wait a minute, that’s the dumbest idea ever. This whole thing is stupid. Guess those of us who like the show will have to enjoy it on DVD now.

5. Winter says:

So I’m not a fan of the confederate flag and I don’t think it should be in front of a government building, but come on! The Dukes of Hazzard wasn’t racist at all. This is just getting ridiculous. Don’t be such sheep TV Land.

6. Jeremy says:

Political correctness run amuck, that’s what this is all about. I watched the Dukes growing up and there is nothing racist at all in that show. What next, ban all viewings of Glory, Gettysburg, and Gods and Generals because they show the confederate flag? Give me a break.

• Patrick says:

No, because all of those things show the confederate flag in its historical sense, as the battle flag of confederate forces, aka a terrorist organization that was correctly wiped out. Much like when actors play Nazi’s and wear the swastika symbol, it isn’t intended as a hateful act. Anyone who wears it, without portraying someone from the era, is intending it as a reminder of bygone times. Now it is intended as a hateful expression of racial intolerance, and as such it should be removed.

• joe says:

Wow Patrick, The confederates were a terrorist organization??? They were correctly wiped out?? You really need to go to the library and read up on US history. For your information, the Confederates were part of the Union until they felt it necessary to secede from Union NOT because of slavery! But because if they did not want the federal government interfering with the laws at state levels. By the way, the Confederate soldiers were Americans, just as much as the Union soldiers were. Like it or not these are facts!

• Jason says:

Haha, the Rebs were terrorist? The 1860s war in America wasn’t even technically a civil war. A civil war generally involves an illegal or illegitimate regime overthrowing or attempting to overthrow the legitimate government. In the American War of Northern Aggression the states that made up the Confederacy simply said “we’re packing up our toys and not playing with you anymore.” It involved much more than the slavery issue. And Lee stupidly tried to play nice by not taking DC early on when he had the advantage and ended up fighting a war of attrition which the south was I’ll equipped for. There had been tension between the north and south for decades and the actions of Sherman and Events of the reconstruction show the contempt the north held for the south. Thank God our young nation survived the Era and bettered itself.

• Isobel says:

a war between citizens of the same country is the definition of a civil war so technically it was.

• Dylan says:

You are so correct.

The War Between the States was NOT a civil war because the CSA was an independent country, and not a part of the USA during those war years.

Most schools up north don’t teach this because of PC reasons, but it’s still a fact.

• Joey says:

Did you literally just call it “the War of Northern Aggression”? I don’t think there’s anything I could say to you that would penetrate the bubble of ignorance and intolerance you placed around your head.

7. B says:

I’m sorry…this is just stupid. We can’t censor everything and expect that to make problems go away. It only enrages the racists, which makes the problem even worse! It just gives them more ammo to rationalize their horrible attitudes, at least in their own minds.

8. Joe says:

The Duke’s were good old boys never meaning no harm , just listen to the song

9. jazzyt2u says:

To be honest as a black person I did feel duped and conflicted later in life for liking the TV show after realizing what the top of the roof and name of the car signified. Not to mention the whole ‘good ol boys’ in the theme song. Have no clue where my mom was when I was watching this show. That said at the end of the day I don’t recall any racist themes in the show itself. I myself wouldn’t have any friends who waved General Lee’s Civil War battle flag but banning the show is ridiculous to me.

• Daisy says:

I loved DoH when I was a kid and my mom and I actually talked about it. She explained to me what the flag represented but thought the show was just silly family fun fiction. She also thought that I should be wary of any real-life people that carried that flag. As life lessons go, was a pretty good one.

• Fido says:

Is “good ol boys” a racist phrase ?! If so I guess it goes on the list along with picnic as words/phrases I really shouldn’t use.

10. Daisy says:

Not a fan of the Confederate flag but in this case they should just let ratings and advertisers do the talking. You can still also buy Dukes of Hazards DVD’s if it’s so important to you.

11. Arjaytoo says:

Totally idiotic decision on TV Land’s part.

12. I don’t think government buildings should have the Confederate flag flying over them nor should they be a part of state flags. That said, this is a 30 year old show about family and friends. It’s a show of its time with nothing offensive about it. Let it be, TV Land. What’s next? Can networks no longer air movies about the Civil War or the Civil Rights Movement because there could be a Confederate flag in them? Shall we take ‘Gettysburg” off the air, too? “Glory”? “Selma”? Where does it stop?

• Isobel says:

agree the flag shouldn’t fly on government buildings but tv shows about the south set in the past its realistic that the flag would appear

13. Ann says:

This is ridiculous! The entertainment industry is becoming so facist in their knee-jerk reactions to everything. They complain about censorship, but yet they’re doing the same thing out of overreaction. Apple removed historical video games that had images of the Confederate Flag telling to change the flag or risk removal…so…now any games that are based on the Civil War cannot use an historically accurate flag? Dukes of Hazzard was a popular tv show based on the South. Are they going to go back and censor the General Lee? Heck, might as well rename that car to the General Grant!

14. GhostWolf says:

WB making the decision for others is basically censorship on their part. It should be a person’s option to either flip to the channel or not. As a child, I watched it for entertainment and didn’t even think there was any symbolism in it (e.g., confederate flag).

15. Travis says:

What next, remove Gettysburg, Glory, or The Civil War from networks because of the flag? This is just going a bit too far.

16. Drew says:

This entire country is getting out of control. Banning the Dukes of Hazzard and refusing to sell items with the confederate flag on it at Gettysburg… it’s ridiculous. It reminds me of ISIS blowing up and tearing down any ancient site that conflicts with their own beliefs. Is that what we’re becoming?
    if we were to ban every show that was potentially offensive, we would never watch anything made prior to 2015, when the latest Political Correctness manual was released. And if we banned every show or product that could somehow tie into the latest act of violence in this country, we’d all be screwed. Because crazy evil people are in just about every group out there.

TV Land should be banned.

17. Scott MacD says:

This is ridiculous. What’s next? Turner Classic Movies yanking “Gone with the Wind”?

• Baileigh says:

There was actually a petition going around several days ago to ban “Gone with the Wind” the book and the movie due to its use of the Confederate flag and how it described slavery in the South.

18. Crys says:

This one is a hard one. The issue here, as stated much better by Jon Stewart than I, is of covert racism. No DoH wasn’t a racist show but covertly it took a racist symbol (and yes as a southern black woman; I still feel the racism behind the flag) and attached it to good, down home fun. That flag tainted the good of my southern culture by attaching it to something not good. That is why this is a hard one. Because however many years ago someone made that conscious decision to covertly disrespect.

• Drew says:

What does a cross mean when it’s worn by someone who doesn’t believe in God, who simply wears it for its fashion value?

The peace symbol that everyone wears was the symbol of Hitler’s 3rd Panzer Division.

Are these examples of people choosing to be covertly disrespectful? Possibly. Does it mean that they should be stricken from history? No.

• Andrea says:

What if that young man had been pictured holding the American flag? In his warped mind, he considered himself a patriot. Would we be having conversations about eradicating the American flag from everything? Of course not. I have no problems with removing it from the statehouse in SC, but I have huge problems with removing it from TV and movies from other eras. No way! Are we going to take the Nazi flag out of every World War II movie or Raiders of the Lost Ark? Sanitizing history or previous works retroactively is dangerous, in my opinion.

• Drew says:

This story just shows how messed up we’ve become. People love their trendy causes and political correctness has become a game that people want to win at. In the meantime, our culture is being torn to shreds and everyone involved looks stupid. I mean seriously… removing the confederate flag from historical games or landmarks? Really?

• Joyce Marie says:

there IS a picture I saw just one time of that young man holding an American flag…. right after they showed him holding the Confederate one….. mind you, once and only once and not since because the media realized, uh-oh, we better not show that one again!

• Crys says:

But are we really striking from history? Or re-run television today? There is no strike from history.

• Drew says:

Tell that to the people who want to pull the flag from Civil War landmarks or video games with Civil War themes.
          Pretty soon, it will be as common as the knowledge of white slavery in America.
          This latest push to ban that flag isn’t just about state buildings. It is about removing the flag from cultural awareness. That creates a whole false image that will be passed on to future generations.

• Andrea says:

Yes, it is. Television is a record of a nation’s cultural history (both good and bad). Like others have said, where does one draw the line? As was said downthread, the list of what is offensive is ever changing and very subjective. Five years from now, something on TV that is considered fine right now has at least a decent chance of being considered offensive by someone. It’s revisions on top of revisions, which is wholly impractical. I think that a better solution would simply be to add a Viewer Discretion Advised as is shown on shows with a lot of violence or like Call the Midwife, where you have medical scenes that some might find graphic. Just say that this program contains an image of the Confederate flag. Then the viewer is free to decide if they wish to view DoH or not.

• Isobel says:

good idea, Australia has warnings about deceased people in their shows for aboriginal people

• Andrea says:

I’m replying to myself because I can’t reply to Isobel. Isobel, would you explain the background of your example of the aboriginal people in Australia? I’m unfamiliar with it. What’s the context between the aboriginal culture and seeing deceased actors on TV? I’m not being sarcastic or flip. I’m genuinely curious.

19. Tahoe Mike says:

Just so stupid.

20. Win says:

I was never a fan of the show (though I enjoy some of the actors in other things), nor am I a fan of the flag (I think it’s unpatriotic, but that it should be allowed to fly over Confederate cemeteries and be part of museum exhibits); however, I do not think episodes should be pulled. I think the people in the show were/should have been the representations of the values Ben Jones mentions above. However, the wording on the “no” answer wasn’t something I could 100% get behind. Some of the same people commenting – and in some cases, screaming – “it’s fictional!” are the ones who are just as loud about how insensitive it would be to air episodes that “remind someone of a recent tragedy” (i.e. “Earshot” episode of Buffy = insensitive about Columbine).

Some of those same people lament in these very TVLine comments areas about how the conservative/liberal/[insert race here] was portrayed on a show. They have that right. Still, if you’re commenting about thick skin because this particular image/issue doesn’t bother you, but seemed to be just as thin-skinned when it’s something near and dear to you… Well, don’t forget to “bear down for midterms…”

I think there are examples of things we realize were popular (or rampant) at the time that are cringeworthy or sad to notice now (even characters in 80s movies), but most times I think it’s up to viewers to make the distinction. I don’t believe many are saying, “let’s find the flag wherever it is represented in the media and eradicate it.” I still believe historical dramas/documentaries and other places it would have been a factor will be and are better served by showing/describing accurate placement.

21. Flo says:

EVERYONE watched this show. Every person of every color. It was a great FAMILY oriented show that had not one stitch of racism attached to it. It’s ridiculous. This is censorship, not politics. Leave The Dukes of Hazzard out of it. TV Land put it back on your schedule! I’m not watching until then.

22. aph1976 says:

I don’t agree with this decision but TV LAND has the right to do with whatever they want.So if they want to drop The Dukes Of Hazzard so be it.Plus they could always start airing it again sometime in the future when the Confederate Flag controversy has died down.

23. Rick says:

Dukes of Hazard wad never a racist show. This is very sad and shows how facism has taken hold of this country. Bring the show back or boycott tvland

• mike b. says:

I’m with you Rick. I believe the American family has the right to make the choice whether to view a show or not for any reason. Too bad the network can’t understand that by trying not offend one group you offend another. That’s why the media and all it’s subordinates has to remain completely unbiased about programming.

24. Dear T.V. Land, please pull the Cosby Show from your schedule as the lead character is Bill Cosby who has been linked to numerous date rape/ molestation allegations. It proves you as a corporation do not care that women are targets Also, please pull the Cougar TV show as a woman over the age of 40 married to a younger man, this offends me in the way I am depicted and others like me, please pull Three’s Company as it promotes the gay lifestyle, by making Jack Tripper having to lie about being gay, and that offends people, whom should be allowed to be openly gay, it also introduces very negative stereotypes by words from Mr. Roper. Please pull the Brady Bunch, as we all know the incestuous things that were happening because the stars wrote books on them, and that’s disgusting, over 30 years later, While you are at it? Bonanza, while it was filmed during a different time, and makes no direct reference to either supporting or not supporting any social injustices that were going on during ” that time which was the civil war” it offends a lot of people. TV Land, it is clear that we as an American people are too sensitive and cannot deal with certain things. I am sure there will be backlash from people on this, but you know I am allowed to have my own feelings.. If we are going to keep on this path, then MY GOD go the distance.. we will talk about the other shows that are offensive later… Kisses….

• Angela says:

Um, they DID pull “The Cosby Show”, actually. I don’t know if there’s any networks that air reruns of that series nowadays after all the Cosby stuff came out.

25. Linda Rodgers says:

Keep Dukes of Hazzard on Tv. It’s good clean food. It’s show is not racist.

26. John says:

Well we all know whose side TV Land is on. First Cosby, now this! The original “Dukes of Hazzard” TV show will forever be a classic of mine. Just for that, I might just pick up some seasons of the show just in case other “sensitive” companies decide to pull this show off too. Thanks for nothing you scumbag bastards!

27. Tim says:

I am personally fed-up with the liberals/progressives being “Offended” by just about EVERYTHING they disagree with (whether or not they know what they are talking about). The Confederate flag controversy is absolute nonsense – they don’t even know (or care) which of the flags actually stands for white supremacy & it is definitely not the battle flag. They just need to grow up, get over it, and be offended about something that really matters – like Governmental policies which are slowly taking away EVERYONE’s liberties.

• Angela says:

Actually, I’m a liberal-leaning person who agrees with most people here on the ridiculousness of this.
      And yes. Only liberals/progressives get offended at things they personally disagree with. Conservatives never do that. Nope.

• Joey says:

Just wondering, but has your federally-mandated gay spouse arrived yet?

28. Ken Collins says:

Where does the Politically Correct movement stop? Now it’s the Confederate (battle flag) Flag…….next it’ll be crosses on churches offending someone….. and who knows what will make the list next?! The Confederate Flag (and variations) represent a time in history that’s just that …. in the past.. If we as a society would concentrate on the future and quit dwelling on the past and things we can’t change, we’d learn how to heal the hurt and move forward. Not displaying the Confederate Flag doesn’t make the past go away, it only serves to make some people more determined to be hateful…….. Can’t we all just get along!!!?

29. RICK SMITH. says:

I THINK IT IS A DARN SHAME.WHAT WILL BE NEXT?WAKE UP PEOPLE.

30. Tom Odinet says:

What is happening in this country? How can any black person be offended by a television show about some southern red necks making a living selling moonshine? The series is a comedy for goodness sakes! None of the people who are raising these objections were slaves or suffered at the hands of any plantation owner. We cannot simply erase the past and play like it never happened.

31. Tom Di Roma says:

Definitely getting way,way too PC. Next we’ll be eliminating anything that has to do with the south. I suppose a southern cooking show will be next.

32. April Flowers says:

Are you serious,my 9 year old & I record and watch this all the time,what should I tell him??? Lets see well I guess I will say it’s because TvLand is joining in with being pushed around!!! This makes absolutely no sense at all!!!! God Bless America please because things are only getting worse 🇺🇸

33. jeff says:

I am so disappointed and will miss watching TV Land. This is a poor decision.

34. Denise Cook says:

Has the USA gone crazy? Are we going to rewrite all our history because some of it is offensive to someone? This has gotten way out of hand. I agree with taking the confederate flag down on federal property. But the confederate flag is a part of the history of the USA. Grow up America!

• Hugo D says:

In an action that some claim as “long overdue”, The History channel announced today that they will be replacing the Swastika with a smiley face during any further film footage and/or television documentary specials covering World War II. The spokesperson for The History channel, Jon Stewart, in a public statement said “we regret that it has taken so long to come to what is obviously the right decision. Untold millions of religious and ethnic minorities have constantly had to suffer over the networks continued insistence that bad things have happened during the course of human history”. “This marks a significant turning point in the annals of human event; we will no longer attempt to retell the past with any sort of accuracy, from now on we will place primary emphasis on making sure nobody ever has hurt feelings”. Jesse Jackson, who traveled to Auschwitz for the announcement said publicly “this is a great step for mankind, but it does not go far enough! We will not rest until all of the brothers of humanity have been relieved of the tyranny of having to visualize likenesses of Adolph Hitler, until that day when all free people can see instead something more palatable like Speedy Gonzales or Kanye West, our work is never done!!!”.

In other news; the precious snowflake, Jimmy, finally got his Little League trophy. In the highly debated case, it was argued that he didn’t actually ever play on a Little League team. Attorneys for the plaintiff’s family however successfully argued that his Dad had bought him a mitt.

35. Shana Mays says:

I believe people are trying to take our history out of this country. It’s ridiculous. DOH is a classic show that was based of doing good. Company’s are becoming cowards always pulling everything there is controversial issues connected to them. If we talk about our beliefs we are wrong,we talk about our history we are wrong,we do something or say something that offends anyone.. We are wrong. I am not prejudice at all but if something offends you… Turn the cannel or go to Councling… Xoxo

36. Bob says:

Should we just erase all southern history that contains the confederate flag because some dumb**s used it in connection to a violent act. Better start rewriting history books and any novel, record label or cd cover that has the confederate flag on it. When do we just stand up and say “THIS IS FREAKIN STUPID, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR *SS”?

37. curtlyon19 says:

ok, this is getting beyond ridiculous. way way overreaction, but then, this seems to be the way this USA is going ….. sad

38. Greg says:

The problem is society will accept what ever they are told. The fact is the flag was created for a battle in Virginia that took place it was used so the confederates could tell the difference between the company’s that were fighting. And somewhere along the way it has been linked to slavery. Wake up people do your home work you will find that it was colored people who started the slave trade and that’s the fact.

39. pdodson81 says:

Boycott TVLand. We also need to ban rap lyrics that are offensive and promote violence. The flag didn’t kill anyone. Some deranged white boy did. People are idiots.

40. Ken Sheppard says:

TV will show all types of nude and sex because that sales air time. They will also show black TV programs that may be offensive to the Whites which are mostly fiction just like the Duke of Hazard. They even have Black TV Channels but let Whites request an all White Channel and that is racist. The flag is only being removed because people don’t know what it means. It is not about black and white it is more about dum and dummer. The flag represents many soldiers that died during the Civil War including Blacks that fought for the South. The war was about taxes and everyone turned it into a racist war because that sold news and taxes would only bring shame to the North. Some things never change in this world. People are yelling about a flag that has been around a long time and never hurt anyone, but has reminded many of those that died for what they believed in, right or wrong. What are we fighting for today, no one knows and most don’t care. Wakeup America, there are more Important things to worry about than a flag, how about feeding our children that goes to bed night after night hunger or have to live on the streets because they don’t have a home. Our government will spend billions on thing that don’t matter and will not help anyone no matter what the out come is; like taking down a flag, Take those billions wasted by our government and spending it on our children and the homeless. Oh I’m sorry; that just would not be fair to others.
    Bull Sh—. TV is a bore and don’t have any back bone. All Politics!!!

• Joey says:

If you go and actually read each state’s reasoning for seceding from the United States, they state unequivocally and in no uncertain terms that they are leaving in order to continue slavery. They are available to read online and it is a matter of public record at this point, but I suppose that facts don’t matter much to a person like you.

• Ken Collins says:

Again, we’re dwelling on the past….something that can’t be changed….. It can be learned from but not changed…… Thank GOD we don’t have slavery now like it was then…… That’s not to say we don’t have forms of slavery now (government subsidies, food stamps, welfare, etc.) If we would dwell on the future and build off the past, things would look as whole lot different. The Roof kid, as demented as he must be, used a prop to shore up his opinions…… TV Land is doing that same thing now with a knee jerk reaction to a political hot button…….

• The point is that people who don’t approve of the flag aren’t the only people dwelling on the past. Dylann Roof’s beliefs are clear. What have people done for that flag lately? Why does it deserve a positive association today? Has anyone that covets this relic helped raise money for severely underfunded schools in impoverished black neighborhoods? Like, ever? Most of the people I’ve spoken with about it lately have a tendency to defend the secession, claim it wasn’t about slavery (or *just* about slavery) and are basically reductionist across the board. One person even called Lincoln a tyrant.

• Mo says:

Thank you, Joey. Thank you.

• Wanda says:

Well said.

41. Angela says:

I’m on the side of those who support removing the Confederate flag from state capitals and so forth. But I also think this particular reaction to an old TV series is a really big overreaction. TV series capture the country’s mindset of the time, and it’s not always going to be a positive thing. And considering I doubt the show has the kind of impact or popularity nowadays that it did back in its heyday, that makes the reaction that much more dramatic.
    That said, however, TV Land can do what they choose as a private company, so…*Shrugs*.
    Also, in regards to this comment from Ben Jones: “Activists and politicians are vilifying Southern culture and heritage as being bigoted and racist.”
    Um…no? What those activists and politicians are saying is that anyone who considers the Confederate flag a “proud symbol” of their Southern culture and heritage aren’t exactly speaking well for their region’s history. ‘Cause apparently people who are so protective of that flag can’t seem to find better, more modern ways to celebrate their region and culture than using something that symbolizes the ripping apart of a country and, yes, support for states’ rights to own slaves (the flag does have racist connotations, people, you can’t skirt around that fact), I guess.

• Isobel says:

great comment

• dee123 says:

Agree 100% Angela.

• Cheri says:

That’s totally ridiculous. Why do black people call themselves African Americans? They weren’t living in Africa at any point. Their ancestors were. If they can be called American Africans because of their heritage why can’t I fly the confederate flag as a part of my heritage? Again some people only think of themselves rather than thinking about fairness of others’ feelings.

42. Jeremy Rowland says:

Dumb !!

43. tracy says:

I love this show it is in no way racist shame on tvland people are racist not a flag

44. Frankie Phillips says:

SHAME ON TV LAND YOU SPINLESS

45. Steve Y. says:

Here’s an idea, run the show!
    Even black fans want to watch it.
    Let the fans watch it or not, their choice.
    You are going down the wrong path and we are not going to save you.
    Grow a pair!

46. edmund says:

what about george washington and thomas jefferson they were slave owners were will it stop no more t v land for me and my family

47. Wanda says:

If readers really are mad with CMT for removing this show. Please stop watching CMT. This is the only way we can show this network how we feel. Writing post, tweeting, Facebook is nothing to them. Rating is the key !!!!

48. Wooster182 says:

Boyd Crowder had swastika tatoos all over him. Are we going to shut down reruns of Justified too?

49. Matthew Benoit says:

It’s so stupid that they would do that. There gonna be a lot of complaints that the TV channel will have to deal with.!

50. stlnmoc@charter.net says:

If the intent is to remove any program or emblem that contains the confederate battle flag of northern Virginia, then I suggest that all flags/emblems that would be offensive to any race of humans be removed. This would probably include the US flag, based on the discrimination and offensive programs of the US government used on the American Indians that were forced from they lands and placed on inhospitable reservations through the west.

• Eddie says:

Im sad to say our country is turning in to a communist place. If you dont like it take it away . Eventually everything important wiill be gone and it will be to late to bring it back. I am full native indian Do you ever hear about a hole nation being killed off No dont complain God put a rainbow in the sky to make a promise and what does the rainbow represent now???? Come on …. I see nothing but saddness pain in tears…..