Teen Wolf Premiere Recap: Senior Fear

Teen Wolf Season Premiere

The first Moonday of 2015 has officially come and gone, and judging by the looks on your faces — I’m assuming, anyway — you’re more than a little confused about what you just saw on Teen Wolf. But here’s the thing: You’re supposed to be.

Staying true to form, Monday’s Season 5 premiere dropped viewers in the midst of a hectic situation — in this case, a super-powered Lydia trapped in Eichen House — and wished them the best of luck in piecing together what the hell was actually going on. Fortunately, executive producer Jeff Davis explained to TVLine that the events at E.H. take place a week in the future, making everything else in the episode a flashback.

That means we can hopefully expect to see what landed Lydia there, not to mention how she suddenly mastered her kick-ass banshee powers. (That scream rattled my damn soul.) If all goes well, we’ll also see more of Aiden, easily the most welcome “surprise” of the entire hour.

On the flip side, Lydia’s memory of her fallen comrades was a most unwelcome surprise. Mama McCall slapping Papa Stilinski, Kira leaving Scott, Stiles in a car accident, Malia’s unfortunate first meeting with her mother, Parrish in a(nother) fire… all very, very bad stuff. (As for Malia’s mother, Davis tells me the Desert Wolf arrives at a “pivotal moment” further into Season 5A.)

Meanwhile, in the past…

Teen Wolf Season PremiereSENIOR MOMENTS | As promised by Sir Davis, the first hour of Teen Wolf‘s fifth season primarily focused on B.H.H.S.’ incoming senior class, which includes Malia, due to (I assume) some sort of clerical error. Meanwhile, Stiles established his overwhelming fear of being separated from his friends after graduation — “no one gets left behind,” not even the Jeep — while Scott vocalized his own concerns that life can’t possibly stay OK for long; eventually, it’ll have to tip towards good or bad. (Holy downer, Batman.) But in addition to looking towards/fearing the future, Scott and his pack also honored the past, particularly when writing their names on the library bookshelves during Senior Scribe. Seriously, if your heart didn’t squeeze at least a little bit when Lydia remarked that Allison “still is” with them, you might want to check your pulse. You’re probably already dead.

DOCTORS? EVIL! | As if we needed one more reason to fear the doctor’s office — it’s 2015 and everything can kill you — this week’s premiere sure delivered a doozy. Not only did the much-hyped “Doctors” exterminate one of their own hell-beasts for failing to snatch Scott’s powers (“No second chances!”), but one of them is also attempting to drill a hole in Lydia’s brain as we speak. To be fair, I’m not sure if the guy drilling into Lydia is in league with the aforementioned creeps, but honestly, this is Teen Wolf. When are we really sure of anything?!

THEO HUNKSTABLE | The premiere also introduced Cody Christian’s character, a lone wolf named Theo who knew Scott waaaaay back in the day. I’m talking ancient times. Like, elementary school. Anyway, when Theo found out there was a True Alpha named Scott McCall in Beacon Hills, he knew he had to head back to the homeland and join his pack. (I feel like Theo really lucked out. It would’ve been super embarrassing if there were two True Alphas named Scott McCall in Beacon Hills. Bullet dodged.) We’re not sure if we can trust Theo yet — that’s being saved for Tuesday’s follow-up episode — but I’m willing to go all in. I mean, Christian seems less creepy on Teen Wolf than he does on Pretty Little Liars and he’s literally playing a monster this time. So, there you go.

PARRISH, THE THOT | Parrish’s incessant whining about not having enough to do — like, just shut up and take your shirt off, right? — finally worked Sheriff Stilinski’s last nerve, prompting him to send the chiseled rookie on a seemingly routine house call. But this is Beacon Hills, so the visit quickly found Parrish going chest-to-claw with that hell-beast I mentioned earlier. “You’re no ordinary creature, deputy,” quoth the hell-beast, which immediately gave me major True Blood flashbacks. (“What are you?”) Parrish, of course, doesn’t know what he is, which only made the audience hell-beast angrier. In fact, were it not for Lydia appearing to (and almost kissing) him, he’d likely be a hot goner by now. Fortunately, he survived, and was able to inform Mama McCall that said hell-beast probably(?) has the ability to steal a True Alpha’s powers. Yikes! (Should we all start placing bets on when we’ll actually find out what Parrish is? At this rate, I’m thinking Season 9.)

ASSORTED THOUGHTS/QUESTIONS:

* Do we think Kira’s mom’s speech about the “wild hunt” was foreshadowing anything? I didn’t see any black horses with stoner bloodshot eyes in the premiere, so I assume we can just chalk it up to Mama Yukimura’s folklore fetish and move on.

* Speaking of things that may or may not matter, did anyone put any stock in that Donovan kid? He seemed pretty pissed at Sheriff Stilinski, and people don’t usually make idle death threats on this show. Prayer circle commencing in 3… 2… 1…

* How freakin’ adorable was Scott’s exchange with Liam, in which he recalled Derek’s remarks about how Liam was one of the strongest werewolves he’d seen at his age? I love watching Scott become a leader, especially in seeing how his leadership style differs from Derek. (So far, I’m seeing a little less lurking in the shadows and a lot less eyebrows.)

Teen Wolf fans, let’s hear your take on the premiere: Do you trust Theo? Do you have any new theories about Parrish’s supernatural identity? Are you praying to any god who will listen that Stiles survives that car accident? Grade the premiere below, then drop a comment with your every thought.

1. Mary Kate says:

PLEASE don’t make Lydia and Parrish a thing. I don’t care if she’ll be 18 soon, that’s inappropriate. Pretty good episode laying the foundation for the season. Loved the glimpse into the future at the end.

• Kait says:

She already is 18, her mom said to her at the lake house that she would be and 6 months at least has passed since then. Yeah, it’s wrong that he’d be with a high schooler and I’m not saying at all that that would be okay, but she is 18 by now.

• Isobel says:

agree I wouldn’t want them going all the way till she’s graduated, but she is already 18

• Abi says:

I don’t understand why everyone is hung up on the fact that she’s in high school?? She’s really mature for her age, is already 18, and could have graduated last year. If she had chosen to graduate rather than stay with the pack then technically she wouldn’t be a high-schooler at all this season.

• Miss Cellany says:

Yep I agree, once someone is 18 they’re old enough to make the decision to date whoever they want, no matter how old the other party is.

We might find it “squicky” for someone to date someone else old enough to be their father/mother, but that isn’t the case here so… (at least I don’t think Parrish is all that old, early 30s at most?).

Lydia as pointed out is also quite mature for her age (or at least, most of the time she is).

The main problem I have with the pairing is the lack of any real screen time between the two of them. If they suddenly enter into a romantic relationship it will feel like it came totally out of the blue (i.e. lazy plotting).

• Ruby says:

I don’t think Parrish can be that old since in an episode in season 3 he said he was 24 and I don’t even think a year has passed since then

• Amers says:

I agree, I wouldn’t like Lydia and Parrish together! I am actually not a fan of Lydia getting all these powers, etc… actually not a fan of her even being a banshee. I feel she could’ve just be left as being the smart friend who in the long run perhaps ends up with styles.

• Kate says:

Lydia is also 18, and I can’t help but point out, if I understand this correctly, the actors, well, she is like three years older than him.

• Kate says:

Also, its just in Jordan’s head right now (and it could very well have been a banshee visit and nothing else) and Lydia seems like she has bigger issues.

2. mike says:

well done Teen Wolf I have no ideas where this season is going

3. nate says:

That’s what I’m talking about. That fight was a little underwhelming but loved it.

4. JOjo says:

loved this episode! but don’t want them to hurt Lydia in Eichen House(that drill tho) :( also really curious about finally seeing/finding out who the desert wolf is XD

5. Danielle says:

I’ve been saying it all along and I’m saying again now. I think Parrish is a Phoenix or something like it. I wish they would put Stydia together if for nothing else than to stop the whining Stydia shippers tearing up Malia and Parrish.

6. Tori says:

if stiles dies i will cry forever. and honestly if scott doesn’t listen to him i will be so angry! every time stiles says someone is bad news, no one listens! i saw it in the preview, where they’re yelling at each other and scott says “why can’t you trust anyone?” and stiles replies with “because you trust everyone!” i was just thinking, yea everyone but stiles! he has been right almost every time he said they can’t trust someone so why would you not listen!? I am extremely worried about where this show is heading, I really don’t want to see stiles and scott’s friendship break or either/any of them die.

7. arw says:

Well they officially hooked me after episode 1. Cant wait to figure it all out!! But i am begining to wander if we ever find out what Parish is. & Allison, Jackson, or Isaac are my votes for returning characters

8. Kait says:

I’m assuming that the doctor with the trepination tool was just a vision or whatever he can do to people since he didn’t have that hole in his head when he was talking to Lydia. (That is that guy, right?) It was stated last season to Deaton about said man that “the last guy who went to see him left but never left here/Eichen” or something like that. And Lydia was somehow able to off-screen banshee coerce Deaton from his trance/vision/coma thingy.

Also, I couldn’t understand a word that the Dread Doctors were saying to Wolverine from behind the wall.

• Kait says:

If that’s not that dude with the third eye then my bad, disregard what I said, I just assumed it was I forget what he looked like

• Nadia says:

Its that dude! He was questioning her a lot so I’m thinking she got captured and looked into his third eye.

• Amanda says:

Remember, she was able to hear Peter’s thoughts before and at the end of last season he was put into the cell with Deaton…so I’m thinking that Deaton actually has Peter and is using him to communicate with Lydia. I’m stretching…lol

9. I actually thought that Lydia kissing Parrish would have killed him, maybe even to the point of him not coming back.

10. santiago winfred says:

Mehn I don’t no what teen wolf is turning to, but in every it make sense. Season 5 here we come.

11. James says:

What’s up with Tylker being so hyper during Wolf Watch? Has he been dunking happy pills?

12. Angie Staf says:

That was one of the WORST season premieres I’ve ever seen.

13. hopemullinax says:

I’ve come to realize that when Kira’s parents say anything, it’s usually some kind of foreshadowing. It might not be horses with red eyes, but they always seem to know when bad forces are making their move.

14. Jessica says:

I’d say Parrish is a salamander or a phoenix. The salamander is something that in mythology could survive through fire. The “salamander” is feared because it contains the kerosene which will burn your house and cause fire.

The phoenix is a mythological creature that is consumed by fire only to rise from its own ashes in a cycle that it repeats eternally.

15. Gerald says:

Awesome episode. I think Theo is not a bad wolf/guy but he will be there primarily to ramp up Stiles fear of loosing Scott. Stiles will see Theo as a threat to their friendship. I get Stiles fear, but NO WAY he and Scott would ever stop being Besties forever!!!!!
    Okay glad Jeff clarified it was only a week in the future. I totally thought it was a full year in the future since the inquisitive doctor said it was the start of the senior year, and he didn’t say last week. So Wow Lydia gets those powers fast.

• Gerald says:

Also, I know the Doctors are evil Dr. Frankenstein type things, but I have to think the crazy lightening and magnetic forces in Beacon Hills is related to some other baddie, maybe the ones Kira’s parents were talking about.

16. Flashrow says:

Two amazing episodes. The stuffs are getting more exciting

17. JR says:

I did not recognize Malia at all when she first showed up. It wasn’t just the haircut, she looks like a completely different person to me, although I know she’s not. I should have figured it out because she was standing with one of her fathers, but until she hopped in the jeep I was confused.

18. Angel says:

Am I the only one who freaked about the Wild Hunt? Because if that’s something to worry about then Scott and the others should run, far, far away. Seriously. Because as far as I know, that’s a fae thing. And fae things are dangerous.

19. Luli says:

Lydia is such an underused character. I hope we see more of her this season, it’s about time.

20. Amers says:

Btw, perhaps I missed it, but how is it that Theo’s sister died? In other articles it says “out of exposure” ?

21. Ash says:

The wild hunt is a group of faerie that gather at large battles to I believe steal the wounded’s life force. They also allow a human to join the hunt I think once a year and that said human will ride the night sky with them for all eternity..again..I think lol don’t quote me on that though. It would be interesting if that was the case but that would likely mean we’d lose another character if one does join the hunt and idk if teen wolf could survive losing another actor.
    Parrish and Lydia..I am in freaking love with them. Yes they should wait to at least get it on until she graduates but she is an adult and more mature than her age and they are just too dang cute together. I love them!!!
    Oh and Parrish isn’t a Phoenix its way too obvious a route when they built it up last year. I’m still 100% convinced he is a dragon and come on how AWESOME would that be!? :) id take a dragon over a silly bird any day!
    I am also worried about those memories Lydia saw before the end of the episode though :/