Ratings: Under the Dome, Rookie Blue Return Way Down

Under the Dome Ratings

CBS’ Under the Dome opened Season 3 on Thursday night with 6.3 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating (per finals), down 34 and 38 percent from its previous premiere (which led out of a Big Bang rerun on a Monday), as well as down from its sophomore finale (7.5 mil/1.8, airing after a fresh Scorpion).

TVLine readers gave the two-hour opener an average grade of “B-.”

Opening the Eye’s night, Big Brother (6.4 mil/2.1) matched Wednesday’s opener and dominated the night in the demo. Year-over-year, it was down just 3 and 7 percent.

Elsewhere….

NBC | Dateline (6.9 mil/1.3) hit and tied Thursday highs, leading the night in total viewers. The recently renewed Aquarius (3.2 mil/0.6) and being-shopped-around Hannibal (1.5 mil/0.4) each dipped a tenth to series lows.

ABC | The Astronaut Wives Club (4.5 mil/0.8) dropped 18 and 17 percent from its launch, Mistresses (3.3 mil/0.7) slipped 13 and 22 percent from its premiere (to series lows) and Rookie Blue (3.8 mil/0.6) fell 37 and 45 percent from its previous premiere (as well as was down sharply from its Season 5 finale), hitting a series low in the demo; readers gave the episode an average grade of “A-.”

FOX | Leading out of the BOOM! premiere (2.5 mil/0.9), Wayward Pines (3.5 mil/1.2) slipped 17 percent in audience while steady in the demo.

THE CW | Beauty and the Beast (860K/0.2) dipped a precious tenth in the demo, tying its series low.

1. Missy Kelly says:

I recorded under the dome and Rookie Blue but haven’t watched them yet. I don’t know that I will watch “Dome” last year was so dismal that I lost interest. I remember that they advertised this as a “limited” series that was suppose to wrap after its first 10 episodes. PTB, some stories are meant to be told short.

2. Boiler says:

Can’t believe people have an hour of their lives to waste watching Big Brother. BatB, after what CW did to HoD, just no!! CW major trouble for majority of their shows next year. HoD in its 4th year will be better than most anything next year

• tvjunkie says:

Almost nobody watch HoD and it apparently didn’t do well oversees like BatB, so that factor couldn’t save it. If you get this upset over a cancelled show then you have other issues you might want to see a shrink about.

3. wrstlgirl says:

Thursday nights television lineup is just to jammed packed. I really wish they’d move some stuff around. Couldn’t watch UTD so I just read the write up when it was posted. I’ll be able to catch it when it begins airing at 9:00 mt

4. Diane says:

Not surprised about UTD and RB. I still watched them, but some people were so unhappy with their last seasons that they didn’t return. I think it would be best to end both of these shows after this summer.

5. Ralph says:

Don’t know if it was lack of promotion or something, but I had NO idea Dome was back last night til I saw a tweet about 7pm. Luckily I had time to record it.

6. The Beach says:

I’m really surprised they have renewed Aquarius, esp this early, as dismal as the ratings are. After giving up on Hannibal, Wayward Pines and Under the Dome, Aquarius is one of the only shows I watch on Thursdays.

7. Kim R says:

We, in Canada, are several episodes in with Rookie Blue and I imagine a lot of people are catching it online instead of waiting for the American airings. That has to effect the ratings, yes? I’m thoroughly enjoying the season thus far!

• Lizzy says:

I’m glad Rookie Blue is back, its about the only show(on the local channels, at least) that I am still watching this summer. I DVR’d Under the Dome the first night but only watched the first couple of minutes, I actually cancelled the series from my DVR.

8. Curt Moes says:

My wife and I enjoyed S1&2. Did not enjoy the sarcastic remarks about FOX NEWS by Christine. The writers think they are so cute, there was no call for the comment in the story and showed a lack of intelligence on their part .

• Fish_Kungfu says:

I thought the exact same thing. It had nothing to do with the story. It would have been more correct to say “un-natural disaster sounds a little too much like ‘Coast to Coast AM'”. But they didn’t have to take a swipe at anybody.

• DER says:

I AGREE. It was a cheap shot taking be the writers, producers, director and actors of this show. Unfortunately for them, they don’t seem to realize that this “cheap shot” wasn’t’ just directed at Fox News, but also at those who watch Fox News. The same people who watch (watched) this show, and pay for the shows existence, and the salaries of the people on the show.

By the way, they should keep in mind that Fox News has MORE viewers than the COMBINED viewership of CNN, MSNBC, HLN and CNBC. Unfortunately, that doesn’t play to their narrative. Unless, they just want to come out and say: “All of those viewers are CRAZY”. They should ask their sponsors how that will play out?

9. Erika says:

I smell that TAWC,UTD and RB will be cancelled due to as usual low ratings.And no ones watching BATB btw.

10. Mr. Tran K says:

I’m sad that Rookie Blue went down in its season premiere but I really hate to wonder if the series will end after six seasons.

11. suzybel58 says:

I liked Rookie Blue in the beginning, but it’s gone downhill since then. If there were more emphasis on the “cop” part and less on the “Andy and her men” part, it would probably fare better.

12. Tricia says:

Rookie Blue is amazing. I want to see them get a season 7. If any of the shows on Thursday night deserve another season it’s RB. The characters all still have stories to tell. The acting is phenomenal. That premiere was a gut wrenching performance from everyone involved. Ben and Missy killed it last night. I love watching the show and I can’t wait to see where this season is going. Hope they get the renewal that they deserve.

13. Aida says:

Rookie Blue is the best show ever, hope they get a renewal for S7 they deserve that and we do too … we need more of Rookie Blue … the writers, actors and the entire crew are so great and this season is one of my favorites so far .. . fingers crossed for renewal …
    GO ROOKIE BLUE GO YOU CAN DO THIS!!

14. Pat says:

I watched Wayward Pines last night and it was good, except for the creep factor of the brother and sister who are running everything in this community. I just watch Under the Dome this morning On Demand. Again, I thought this was pretty good so no complaints from me. I just finished watching Rookie Blue on my DVR and it was OK, not happy with the Marlo pregnancy.

15. MP says:

I’m still enjoying Rookie Blue. I’m in the U.S., but am caught up through the Canadian feed, which is about 5 weeks ahead of the U.S. My only complaint is Duncan. He’s as terrible as ever.

16. Hannibal is the only show I watch live. Have yet to watch Under The Dumb and am reluctant to shove that train wreck back onto the tracks, but I feel like I have to see how it ends. Some version of really really stupid and disappointing, probably.

17. Lou says:

I feel that the ratings for abc shouldn’t be judged on how much fans like RookieBlue. If it was aired same time world wide then the numbers would be huge. Won’t TPTB don’t realise that a lot of us watch the first airing episode, from the 1st available resource. I live in UK and I , amongst loads of others, can’t wait till it airs here. So we have already seen it when it aired in Canada. This doesn’t mean we aren’t going to watch it again when. It airs here, it just means that we love the show sooooo much and will watch it numerous time. If TC wouldn’t of let the cat out of the bag about marlo/Sam , then I think a lot of the fans would of watched it on the night, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t going to watch it later on. The first few episodes are gutt wrenching to watch for McSwarek fans. A big Bravo to Missy. She made me cry and will continue to with her amazing performance, which is why people need to keep watching because I tell you, it just gets better and better. Keep watching people.

18. Joe says:

My wife and I have been loyal watchers of Under the Dome. Recently however we have been getting disappointed in the programming. We thought Okay, let’s see were this is going to go. It’s been getting sillier and sillier. It reminded me of when I was a child playing make believe with my friends. “You can’t do that because the rules of our “make believe” won’t allow that.” Well, as you know when you’re a child you make things up as you go. So, here’s Christine taking some glob and rubbing it on peoples faces and in effect saying “I’m making you my slave.” That’s just one example. Yap, were done.

• sherry says:

I haven’t watched since the third episode. I liked the first two seasons, hate this one., especially what they have done to Barbie and Julia. If they are not together in the end, who cares if the show comes back. Since they are supposed to tell how and why it happened, I doubt it. I will just continue reading the recaps, at least I can skim through those and not have to watch this crap.

19. Mike says:

The stupidity of the writing (Under the Dome) continues to amaze me. I loved the book but this show is abysmal. The only reason I watched is because it was so different from the book. King would sell his soul for money – the only reason I can rationalize him green lighting this trash. I’m through with this show.