Did Orphan Black Out-Clone Itself? Did Beauty's Bud Best Beckett? Creepy New Colonel Sanders? And More Qs

Orphan Black Dinner Scene

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Orphan Black, True Detective, Beauty and the Beast and Rookie Blue!

1 | From a technical perspective, might Orphan Black‘s family dinner scene have been even more impressive than last season’s dance party?

2 | Have you watched and fallen in love with the British rom-com Catastrophe Sharon HorganCatastrophe on Amazon yet? (If not, go watch it now!) And doesn’t lead Sharon Horgan look like a mix of Connie Britton and Nicole Wallace?

3 | Are there really going to be no consequences for True Detective‘s Ray after he beat up that bully’s father and intimidated the kid with an unprintable threat?

4 | Which registered higher on the Penny Dreadful shockometer: that Dorian killed Angelique, or that Lily didn’t reject the Creature? And after almost two seasons of build-up to the reveal of Dorian’s infamous portrait, did it live up to your expectations?A Deadly Adoption

5 | How did Will Ferrell’s Deadly Adoption character run and leap straight off a bridge when there was a four-foot railing ?

6 | Wasn’t it impressive how The Fosters took what appeared to be a “Oh, Jude and Connor are just so different” storyline and turned it into a poignant exploration of the aftermath of gun violence?

7 | Which was the worse offense: ABC Family reairing Dawson’s Creek in letterbox format or with a different theme song?Dawson's Creek ABC Family

8 | If the daring UnReal was on HBO or Netflix, would it be a hit? Is the Lifetime label hurting the show? And while we know Rachel works miracles and all, didn’t Adam’s potential investors notice that the winery was in absolute ruin?

9 | Between The Whispers‘ Henry and Scorpion‘s Ralph, are you about done with little kids nearly getting incinerated?

Tyrant10 | How can Tyrant’s Ahmed be expected to master being the Minister of Energy when he can’t even manage a clean bong hit?

11 | Sipping champagne, in a vehicle, in public? Didn’t that Rizzoli & Isles moment run afoul of Boston’s famous open container law?

12 | Is Jennifer Beals’ character seeking Proof of lens flares? Because if so, job done! Also, doesn’t she jog at a bit fast of a clip on those city sidewalks?

13 | Admit it: Did you find Maya Rudolph’s Rachel Dolezal bit on Late Night wholly unsatisfying?

14 | Is Suits‘ Harvey/Donna/Louis situation TV’s most most unorthodox, non-romantic love triangle?

Mr. Robot Heroes15 | Taking a little too much inspiration from Heroes, aren’t we, Mr. Robot?

16 | Is Mistresses‘ about-to-get-crazy arc for Karen going to be a classic case of “dying wife seeking replacement spouse for her gruff hubby,” or more of a ménage à trois mess?

17 | Does Rookie Blue‘s Juliet have crazy willpower for resisting Nick’s charms?

Astronaut Wives Club Luke Kirby18 | Does J.J. Abrams know he’s on The Astronaut Wives Club?

19 | Would Wayward Pines have us believe that kids who can barely not tell Mom what Dad got her for her birthday would keep secret the fact that it’s 2,000 years later than their folks think it is? And why would no adult question the “rules” and, like, their inability to phone relatives? On that note…

20 | Which TV time warp has messed with your head the most: Under the Dome‘s alternate reality or Wayward Pines‘ distant, distant future?

21 | Really, Graceland? In a quiet house at night, Sid’s wife and kids down the hall didn’t hear choked Paige’s yelps/grunts?

22 | Have we ever talked about Beauty and the Beast’s uncanny casting of the Chandler sisters…? Also, did Tess really make NYPD captain before Castle‘s Kate Beckett?!

23 | Has Season 3 of Hannibal already maxed out on its “Alive, or a figment of someone’s imagination?” quotient? And wasn’t Jack just a wee bit blasé about Will admitting it was his phone call that led to the Season 2 finale bloodbath?

20Qs-KFC24 | Creepy enough to make us finally give up fast-food chicken?

25 | Isn’t “Summer of Secrets” too juicy a name for Today‘s ongoing series about such banal topics as how twins relate to each other? Isn’t it a far better umbrella for chilling stories like “The Watcher,” which the show reported on Friday?

1. Mommaknowsbest60 says:

24. ENTIRELY too creepy – will never eat KFC again.

• Chris says:

Yeah he’s creepy (I want to punch him every time he sings that taters and gravy and a big ol cookie song), but I think it was our punishment for complaining about those stupid “OH MY GOD! I ATE THE BONES?!?!” commercials. Im actually more creeped out by the new “modern” Hamburglar.

• AngelWasHere says:

OMG I hate that commercial! It is creepy. Every time I see it I’m like “He’s dead you know!” Plus he’s just creepy and annoying! >_<

• GGDub says:

I swear that Darryl Hammond is using the same creepy laugh for the Colonel as he did for George Bush.

• JMill says:

Confederate flag – (almost) Done.

New creepy Throw Up Thursday Colonel – NEXT!

Because, well, REALLY creepy.

• Alienate says:

What a disgrace to The Colonel. Even tho KFC is the largest user of MSG in it’s fast food menu, I sometimes give in and buy a Bucket. But… NO More.

2. Mary says:

#7: Theme Song, Hands down! I’m used to seeing other shows and movies in letterbox format.

• Becky says:

My biggest issue is that there playing the episodes OUT OF ORDER!!!!

• Mary says:

I agree, what is up with that? TBS and Teen Nick aired the episodes in order and with the ORIGINAL theme song.

• xmelaniexthomasx says:

The episodes that aired this week were favorites chosen in a poll. It actually starts from the pilot next week. Same with Buffy.

• CourtTV says:

letter box is relatively normal. Theme song is BIG!

• xmelaniexthomasx says:

When I watched it years ago, the theme song changed in the middle of the series. I’m curious if the whole series will be like that on ABCF or if it’s just the later favorites that were shown this week. Guess we’ll find out when it starts with the pilot next Monday.

• Jeri says:

I got into the double episodes of Gilmore Girls, disappointed about Dawsons Creek airing in place of one. Wasn’t it Family that hyped the Friday Night Lights reruns (everyday), then dropped them with no comment, Just suddenly gone. Hate to get invested in their programing (at least the repeats).

• Doug Henning says:

They used the original theme song for the episode on the 25th because they got a license for its use in the final 2 episodes which were packaged as a separate DVD.. My guess is they had to go with the music from DVD and Streaming because of cost…

3. KT says:

Great questions all around. I want to answer all of them, but I’ll just pick the top three for me: I do agree on #1 that the dinner scene was impressive and felt flawless. Tatiana is amazing. I catch myself forgetting that she is playing so many different characters. I did find Maya’s impression to be unsatisfying. And I do agree that the guy on Astronaut Wives does look like JJ Abrams. Doppleganger! Good call on that!

4. S says:

#8 UnReal is my new summer show, it’s a true guilty pleasure. I didn’t expect to love it as much as I do. The Lifetime brand may be affecting it, but it needs to start gaining some buzz because it is hysterical!

• johnhelvete says:

I dont understand why people keep on calling UnReal a guilty pleasure, the show is a quality drama.

• Benington says:

I agree with you 100%. There is nothing campy about this show, in fact it is often brutal and difficult to watch, (in a good way) the portrayal of what these characters actually do to themselves and others. This is no silly and campy Devious Housewives. But I do agree that it would be getting the attention and ratings it so deserves, if it was on another network. But not quite sure which one, the presentation of material and subject matter is so atypical.

• Dee says:

I am enjoying this show so much more than I thought I would!

• co2bl says:

Totally agree with you! I blew it off initially because I didn’t think I’d like it but caught episode 1 when I was flipping through the channels. I’ve been hooked ever sense!

• Jess says:

I always wonder if putting future episodes online before they air hurts the ratings. I am addicted to this show, but I haven’t tuned in since the first episode because I was able to binge the first four on demand last month, which I did in a single day. I will definitely be tuning back in for episode 5 next week. But if others, like me, weren’t watching because they’d already seen it, it would be reflected in the ratings. Fingers crossed the first truly “new” episode in weeks will help boost the numbers.

5. Daisy says:

“Does J.J. Abrams know he’s on The Astronaut Wives Club?” OMG. I actually went to IMDB to make sure it wasn’t him. That’s some award-winning look-alike action going on.

6. Dude says:

Unreal is SO SO good! I don’t think I’ll be that upset if it’s gone though as I don’t see how this format can go for more than one season.

• johnhelvete says:

Season 2, Rachel, Quinn and the other members of the crew are doing the next season of Everlasting with a brand “new cast”. This time they could start with how they cast the show, which would be interesting to see.

• A says:

maybe in season 2 it will be like bachelorette & they will show the process of casting the cotestants

• LADY_in_MD says:

I love UnReal but I kinda have to agree that it would have done much better if it were on another network I love the show but I have had to tell alot of people about it and now they are hooked

That scene was disturbing!

I was thinking the same season 2 can have a woman suitor and the men who are after her…

7. CourtTV says:

People who don’t watch Orphan Black – shame, shame!

8. niloofar says:

1. so much better than last season finale.
    4. the portrait wasn’t that creepy.

9. kirads09 says:

#24 Thank you. I have questioned those ads since they first began. They are creepy. I am not sure KFC means them to, but they just come across as parody. A really poor attempt at parody at that.

• Jane says:

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one creeped out by those KFC commercials. It is a tie between those and the Hannah and her Horse Direct TV commercials for which I hate the most. The KFC are creepy but the Direct TV ones are just stupid.

Loved the Orphan Black dinner, had the same question about True Detective, and I thought the Maya Rudolph skit was dumb. The only thing I can come up with on Wayward Pines for why the kids aren’t telling there parents is maybe the teacher is giving them some sort of hypnotic suggestion so they can’t tell.

10. skrable2 says:

Re: Wayward Pines … On Teresa’s investigation trip to empty Plot 33, she passes a woman walking her dog. How did the dog get there? Pretty sure the Abbies would have eaten any remaining pets they could find … so did Pilcher and Co. freeze-dry the pooch at the same time as its owner?

• kirads09 says:

Excellent question and good that you pointed that out! I don’t know why I am still not 100% buying the entire Pilcher “saving” mankind and massive time jump story. Maybe my belief factor just can’t get there. But I am wondering if there isn’t a bigger twist (if that is possible) coming. Something still seems so off to me about it all.

11. Sarah_ says:

#8 Unreal is a great funny/drama show so I think that if it was in another network it will do a lot better..

12. BrightLight says:

1. I loved the dance party more because it just fun and cute, BUT the dinner party was just a magnificent piece of art to watch. You really believed all 4 of them were there at once.
    5. It’s a Lifetime movie, so don’t question it or you’ll be be like me and still wonder weeks later how the crazy girl in “Double Daddy” delivered her baby BEFORE the guy’s girlfriend who was supposedly already pregnant before Cocoa Puffs was and it was still a full term baby. Or why two pregnant girls who were near their due dates were even allowed to go on a field trip to start with.
    18. HA! I said this to myself while watching the pilot last week. I kept waiting to see his name in the credits somewhere.
    20. Wayward Pines > Under the Dome. Honestly, if they hadn’t aired two episodes last night, I might have quit UTD for good after that one.

13. mo says:

There are commercials like the KFC one that causes me to change stations and feel like I don’t want to buy anything. Do you think TV shows will ever screen the commercials to make sure they are not hurting viewership or a viewers willingness to spend money. The KFC commercial falls into that category-does more harm to business.

14. dan says:

20. Still scratching my head about UTD. What was that? Strange, creepy and cheesy. I’ll be back, but not sure why.
    24. The only thing creepier than last night’s UTD is the KFC commercials. Really Darryl Hammond? That’s what you’re doing while SNL is on hiatus (not like being the SNL announcer takes up a lot of time)?

15. Et al says:

24. If the agency responsible for the KFC ads isn’t put out of business immediately, there is no justice in the world.

16. T.W.123 says:

#7 THE SONG MAKES THE WHOLE SHOW!!! I can live with the letterbox formatting. Not getting the rights to Paula Cole is unforgivable.

17. Amy says:

#4: I love that the creature seems to be scared of Lily. I kinda hope he decides he wants nothing to do with her. I do love Lily, though. She seems to remember enough of “Brona” to be very dangerous.

• LAwoman says:

I loved the scenes with Lily and creature #1. He should be scared of her. I’m hoping for a big showdown fight between them. Poor Angelique.

18. Luis says:

7. New theme song? The ultimate insult to Paula Cole.
    13. Are you kidding? i want Maya to host the SNL premiere, with a roundtable discussion between Oprah, Beyonce and Rachel Dolezal.
    24..I’m just glad Darrell Hammond’s getting work.

19. B says:

#15: No. Raising your arms in triumph is pretty general, even if both are in NYC. I’m more intrigued by Elliot’s filter that turns every mention or glimpse of E Corp into Evil Corp, to the point of seeing it on subway posters and hearing it from news anchors. Or is it all delusion? Also, can the show live up to the awesome pilot?

20. VJ says:

4. I knew Angelique wouldn´t survive the episode as soon as I saw the promo where they teased that she was going to find the painting. But I actually expectet that he would strangle her with his scarf…. and yes, the painting lived up to my expectations.
    8. Interesting question. I caught myself skipping UnReal and catching up in the second week, because I was bored. I actually thought “Oh, it´s a Lifetime show… won´t miss anything.” Until I caught up: the show is great. Yes, I think it would be a bigger hit if it would air on HBO or Netflix.

21. SoFla says:

#24 definitely. I drive by a KFC now and shudder. How could you pick someone that is so darn creepy to use and expect it to make people WANT to go eat that food? Then there is his voice …. oh why do I think that Colonel would fit PERFECTLY in a Stephen King novel?

22. GeoDiva says:

11. There were sitting in a boat on a trailer and I believe he said it was sparkling cider.
    16. Looks like they are going for the ménage a trois based on the previews.

23. Cyn says:

24. Fully expecting to see him on the next Dateline to Catch a Predator.

24. c-mo says:

#22 Maybe that’s why Gates isn’t returning for S8 of Castle, she’s protesting someone being promoted before Beckett.
    #24 Thank goodness for a DVR or the mute button, I don’t have to watch/listen to the Colonel, he’s way too creepy to ruin whatever I’m watching at the time.

25. Bella says:

13. Yes, I was disappointed in Maya Rudolph’s impersonation of Rachel Dolezal. Links to it were showing up all over the internet, but I wasn’t impressed at all. I know Maya can do much better than that, and will soon before this story disappears.
    24. YES. When I saw this new Colonel for the first time, he completely creeped me out – and everything about him – his appearance, his voice, and what he has to say. I change stations as soon as I see one of these commercials. They need to dump this campaign ASAP.

26. Marco says:

3. My only guess is that they were so afraid of Velcoro they didn’t report it. Or if they did, Semyon managed to make that report ‘disappear’.

27. shutuprob says:

21. Graceland — This question doesn’t really take too much heavy lifting to answer, IMO. Given that later in the episode Sid put his family on a plane out of the country (and did it rather rapidly), I’d have to say that it’s quite plausible that Sid’s wife knew everything about Sid’s criminal life, whether Sid knew she knew or not, so she was covering for him with the kids in their absence from the choking scene. Furthermore, knowing just how nasty his is, she presumes that WITSEC wouldn’t be able to protect her or the kids from some combination of either him or his enemies (or both) if she were to chose to flip on him, so that’s why she stuck with him and booked it out of the country.
    I mean seriously, Sid is an enforcer for the Mexican Mob — he’s *far* worse than Vic Mackey, as bad as he was, ever was.

28. rowan77 says:

1 Not only more impressive, I was enjoying the scene and Alison’s moment so much that I didn’t once think about the amount of SFX it took to pull it off so well.

5. It’s a Lifetime movie. We don’t bother worrying about things like reality when watching those things.

8. Yes and Yes – and not if they’re only allowed in certain areas.

14. Yes, and it’s wonderful! I love seeing Harvey struggling with his emotions.

15. Don’t quibble. I do that when I get Final Jeopardy right.

29. Lisa says:

It’s Will Ferrell, duh!

30. kmw says:

24. Way too creepy

31. I remember the original Colonel on his commercials and he was a nice gentlemen. This actor gives me the creeps.

32. Allyson says:

I can’t believe ABC Family change the theme song in Dawson’s Creek reruns. TBS used to air the reruns in the past and they never changed the music. What is up with ABC family?

33. Ram510 says:

The Lifetime label is surely hurting UnReal. I almost didn’t watch because it’s on Lifetime but I gave it a shot and absolutely LOVE the show, one of the best of the season. I’ve since gotten a couple other people to watch and they said the same thing, the Lifetime label hurts the show. If it gets canceled I hope it can find life on HBO/Showtime ect. (where it belongs) or perhaps FX. It’s too good to go out in only 1 season

34. Marco says:

7. It happened when the show started airing in Italy as well, the first season had a different theme song (Run Like Mad).

35. kirads09 says:

Regarding Lifetime. Thought I read (elsewhere) they are seeking to totally “rebrand” themselves. Perhaps that is the reason for the show and “Deadly Adoption”.

36. Tom says:

~
    Different theme song definitely. That song was such a part of the show. And besides, what’s Paula Cole doing now? Couldn’t she use the royalties?
    ~
    ~
    Are you finally realizing she’s not as funny as everyone thinks she is?
    ~
    24 | Creepy enough to make us finally give up fast-food chicken?
    ~
    No. Granted they could be better, but I like KFC too much.

37. Sil says:

I DVR’d Under the Dome. Watched at the most 30 mins of it. That was weird and I don’t know what to say about it. Is it a take off of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers? I won’t watch it again. Orphan Black showed how masterful they are with the dinner party.

38. 16 | Is Mistresses‘ about-to-get-crazy arc for Karen going to be a … mess?

39. dman6015 says:

1. Yes.
    7. ABC Family is just offensive. Period.
    11. It’s Hollywood. They don’t care about laws.
    15. Mr. Robot is just plain bad television.
    18. Uh, no, you’re blind.
    23. Season 3 so far justifies why NBC canceled it.
    24. I have no clue what KFC is doing with the “Colonel”.

40. Jake says:

24 – Hilarious spoof, love Darryl Hammond. You people take things too seriously, it’s just a goof!