Emmys

Emmy Screening Room: Awful Truth for Sons of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam

Loading video...

June 26 — the cutoff date for the 2015 Emmy Awards nomination voting — is just days away. And that’s a source of both great anticipation and nameless dread for those of us obsessed with quality television.

Team TVLine has already brought you our Dream Emmy Ballots in 10 key Emmy races — click here to see our picks! — but we wanted to make one last push on behalf of a few favorites whose work was so outstanding this year that the possibility of a snub makes us want to channel Cookie on Empire and wallop some fools with a broom.

With that said, we present the third of our Emmy Screening Room submissions: Sons of Anarchy‘s Charlie Hunnam, for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series. We defy you to watch from start to finish and tell us he shouldn’t hear his name called when nominees are announced on July 16.

The setup: While visiting Juice (Theo Rossi) in lock-up, Jax (Hunnam) tells his former SAMCRO brother that he has become suspicious of his own mother, Gemma, and believes she may have been responsible for killing his wife, Tara — a crime that Gemma initially blamed on the Chinese Lin Triad gang. With nothing left to lose, Juice tells Jax exactly how Tara’s death really played out, and Jax slowly unravels as he learns the horrifying truth of his mother’s betrayal.

Press PLAY above for the full scene , then share your thoughts on whether Hunnam should/will make the Emmy ballot.

1. Imzadi says:

That scene alone was one of the finest acting I’ve seen past season or more. The way he barely controlls himself, his voice, his breathing, everything, makes him deserving of every award there is.

2. EJ386 says:

Charlie has been my favourite actor for years, but this was so amazingly incredibly real and emotional. He deserves the win

3. Miranda says:

SOA lost its luster a long time ago, but it certainly has its fans. The Emmys however are not of that number. The Emmys just don’t like this show and Charlie Hunnam made his feelings about them very clear a few years back.

• Tammy Howell says:

Maybe the Emmys don’t like SOA, so sad. Because as it was showed episode after episode America loved it. Get off your high horses and give where it is due. That is Sons Of Anarchy !!!

• aarondk76 says:

Lost its luster ? Oh, I have to disagree 100%

• charity says:

Lost its luster? Are you kidding me? Best series I have ever watched. Charlie Hunnam is a great actor and he deserves recognition. Not everyone like the typical wimpy shows. SOA was bad a$$!!

• LC says:

Just because you didn’t like the direction doesn’t mean it lost its luster. The story line was very clearly thought out and every episode moved that story toward its end goal. The acting remained strong to the bitter end, both on a personal and ensemble level. Charlie and Katie both deserved nods from the Emmy committee, but I won’t be surprised if they’re snubbed yet again. Emmy doesn’t like this genre. Sons and Walking Dead have both been tragically overlooked.

• A.M says:

Yes Yes Yes..Charlie Hunnam is perfection and so was SoA from start to finish…no luster lost at all! and it’s high time The Emmys recognize this.
      Charlie Hunnam was extraordinary in this role yet very underrated. He deserves some Emmy love.
      The only other time a scene broke me like the one above did was Flash finale, Barry & his mother scene.

• Jamie says:

Charlie Hunnam is a great actor specially in soa. But my view the soa hype died with opie, he was the better actor and stronger character. Ryan should of played the part or Charlie, sorry if people don’t agree. I just think he was better!

• You are entitled to your opinion so I wouldn’t worry if others disagree with you.(Someone always does.) :) I don’t think that I would have liked the actor who played Opie in Jax’ role and its hard to say if he would have offered as good of a portrayal of Jax as he did his portrayal of Opie. I would have rather that they just kept Opie around because I agree that he was a fantastic actor(best on the show in my opinion).

• Pam says:

Oh NO you didn’t accuse SOA of losing its luster a long time ago? Is that a long time ago in a galaxy, far, far away? Are you jealous George Lucas or do all of Shakespeare’s works make you yawn? 🎭

4. jkflickinger says:

No matter how many times I see that scene, It tears me up! Both did a remarkable job but Charlie was Outstanding.

5. Rick says:

In my opinion Jacks should win best actor for any series.

6. lololee24 says:

I don’t understand why he’s never been nominated for his work on that show. Personally I think the show was black listed. Timothy Olyphant and Walter Goggins for their work on Justified should be nominated. And Walter Goggins should also be nominated for his role on Sons of anarchy as well. All of these men deserve to be aknowledged but they won’t because the voting committee (I feel) don’t actually sit and watch many of these shows. They have there favorites and stick to them. Tatiannya Myslana? for her role on Orphan Black should also be nominated because honestly, I think she’s turned in the best performances for the last 3 seasons. I would like a list of the people who are voting please, thank you.

• Jamie Johnson says:

I wish I could thumbs up what you said because I agree with EVERYTHING you said!! I am a huge sons of anarchy fan and justified. I agree with you completely! I don’t understand why the Emmys snub actors that are so talented. I agree with you and think that they don’t watch them. If they did, Kurt Sutter would have at least 10 Emmys for The Shield and Sons of anarchy. I think they snubbed Charlie Hunnam because he is absolutely gorgeous and all they see is a pretty face. Same with Timothy Olyphant. And Walter Goggins, well if he was bad ass enough as Boyd Crowder, he sure was sweet enough as Venus Van Dam. Let’s give these guys some Emmys please!

• frank willoughby says:

his name is walton not walter

7. lololee24 says:

Charlie Hunnam is a very under rated actor. He has great instincts and picks really good shows to work on, and that includes his work in both America and the UK. He deserves some recognition for his work on Son’s of Anarchy. If a co-worker of mine hadn’t persuaded me to tune in to the show, I would have missed out on not only one of the best shows on cable TV, but some of the best actors whose names I now know.

• you are just plain stupid he can act in anything. He should have played in 50 shades o gray because I went and seen it and it sucked. If he would have played in it he would have not had any problem showing his stuff and getting people who read the book to be satisfied by the movie. you must not have watched all of the SONS series at all. Or any of the other movies he has played in. Because all of them were very different and he played a hell of a roll in each one.

• Chris says:

You are plain stupid for agreeing with everything the original poster said, and calling them stupid.. Smh.

8. Jennifer Hutchings says:

Charlie Hunnam should be nominated for an Emmy for best actor in Dramatic Series. He has done such an amazing job in these 7 seasons of Sons of Anarchy. This last season, Season 7, was a very dramatic series for his character Jax and no one could have acted it better than Charlie Hunnam. He is a phenomenal actor and should get recognition for it. Sons of Anarchy was and is still and amazing show, and Charlie Hunnam along with the rest of the cast are amazing actors and should get props for what they have done for TV and what they have done and still do for us fans!

9. Christina Wineinger says:

I definitely think Charlie Hannah should get a nomination for best lead actor in a drama series. The show is AMAZING and the talent is as well. It draws you in and gets VERY INTENSE. Charlie played his character Jax with outstanding intensity and commitment.

10. hayley todd says:

My hubby has been telling me for years to watch soa and I recently took his advice oh my this is the best thing on TV the writing the story line the fans the music but most of all the very talented charlie hunnam playing jax teller he takes us on the most incredible journey you immidiately fall in love with him from that very first scene for those who haven’t seen all 7 seasons hop on and enjoy the ride you won’t regret it #kurtsuttergenious x

11. Maurice says:

the scene between Jax & Gemma before her death bright me to tears.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Hell both scenes w/Juice in jail and w/Gemma in the garden should be notice. All 3 should be mentioned Charlie is a really good actor and deserves to be nominated!!! SOA should get a EMMY nod!!!

12. Ali says:

Charlie hunnam’s acting down right gives me chills. I have been a fan of his since he was in Abandon over 10 years ago with Katie Holmes. He has this amazing ability to make you feel what he is feeling. That scene in Sons of Anarchy (among many others) made me feel exactly how he would have felt at that moment. Both him and Theo Rossi did an amazing job

13. Pat Conley says:

This scene is one of the most heart wrenching scenes in any movie or tv show I can remember. I watch it time and time again and every time I am brought to tears. The feelings Charlie exhibits is far beyond a good job, it is masterful to say the least. Charlie Hunnam should be top of the list for his performance not only in this scene but for the character he played throughout the show. I never saw him in a role before and I quickly became a huge fan of his. I loved this show and hated to see it end. My favorite actor Liam Neeson, Charlie Hunnam is my close second. How I’d Love to see these two greats in a movie together.

14. Cheyl says:

Charlie should be nominated. I don’t really get into shows like that. I tried it and it grabbed me right from the beginning couldn’t stop watching it. It was a sad day when the final episode came on. The cast is amazing. I am now watching all the episodes again. Can’t get enough looking forward to his next adventure.

15. Kim says:

Charlie should be nominamated. He brought everything to the Sons. Best actor I have seen in a long time. He brought out every emotion he could in playing Jax. Made you realize that evn though the did terrible thing that they still had some human emotions. Great Show and great acting from Charlie.

16. Yes, Charlie a gunman should make the ballot. It’s about time that Sons of Anarchy make the ballot. It’s an amazing show

17. Donna Luera says:

I think Charlie deserves the nomination…great performance….fantastic journey.

18. Morgan says:

Charlie was heartbreaking and perfect in this scene, which took place in what was the only good episode in the entire season. It’s a shame, really, that the television academy couldn’t recognize him sooner when the show was actually something worth bragging about and that makes me sad. It was such a good show before it collapsed under the weight of Sutter’s ego. It’s a shame that the actors lose out when they’ve all been so deserving – especially the core four – throughout it’s duration (or, six seasons, as is the case with Perlman and Siff).

19. mary debold says:

Charlie hunnam came full circle as the character jax teller. In the beg of show it seened he was awkward and trying a bit to hard to achieve the teller badass/tender guy. By the end of the show he had perfected his craft and we believed he was jax teller. We felt what he felt. We were totally involved. Now hes king auther. He geserves an emmy

20. Dominick Panetta says:

Sons of Annarcy ! Wow what a great show had me looking forward to what was going to happen next Great cast & crew ! Charlie Hunnam play the hell out if that roll & deserves recognition for his role! Just saying

21. This scene moved me to tears but so did the one where he and Tara were talking at the park. That moment he realized how terrified she was of him was brilliantly acted.

• LindaC says:

I agree…that scene was intense and was the scene that made me look forward to seeing him in 50 shades…I was SOOO disappointed when that fell through!

22. One of the best scenes and acting I’ve ever seen, bar none; movies, tv, plays…he’s got it.

23. brenda says:

Charlie did an amazing job. I can watch this over and over. He deserves a emmy.

24. rachel says:

He deserves one more than the better call Saul guy way better actor give Charlie hunnam an emmy!!!!!!!?

25. Maggie says:

Charlie rocked that role…should win an Emmy, let alone be nominated!

26. Evan says:

There is no justice in this world if Charlie Hunnam isn’t nominated!

27. Janet says:

SOA was one of the most exciting shows on. Tuesday night just couldn’t come fast enough. Charlie hands down the greatest actor out there he has EMMY wrote all over him.

28. APRIL says:

I think he deserves an emmy in every way. He is such a good actor. I love him lol this seen made me cry.

29. Marie Fraim says:

Charlie has had many outstanding scenes over the years but this particular one was spectacular. He should not only be nominated for an Emmy, he should win.

30. Allison mooney says:

Charlie Hunnam is a captivating, amazing actor who made Jax Teller a hero, a son, a father and a man men wanted to be and women wanted to be with. We wanted to cancel cable as it us too expensive but we had yo wait until after SOA ended, I could nor miss a minute of Charlie/Jax!!!!

31. dawn moore says:

Charlie deserves this award by far!!

32. Charlie Hunnam’s acting was, in my opinion, without question, amazing in this series. I kept seeing a family friend posting TONIGHT IS SOA! What is that? So I looked into it and I was so glad I did.
    Funny thing, my story sounds so much the same as many who have posted here. Now, if there are so many of us that could discover SOA, why is it that it is right in the faces of theses judges and we may be looking at another year that Jax (Charlie Hunnam) will be passed over one more time? I do not understand!

I have to say the entire cast was amazing. The topics covered were sometimes difficult to watch. But the up swing to that, no one else was touching those topics and the cages needed to be rattled so we did not forget the issues out there! It made me take time to think and talk it over with those who needed to be informed or it needed to be addressed with. Sounds crazy that a show, many saw as trash because, “it was just a biker/thug show”, could bring things up that could get people thinking and feeling. Feelings were raw.

Thank you SOA…Ride on forever!

• vicki says:

Charlie’s acting was amazing. We have followed the series from the very first show and he did a fabulous job from the very first. We grew to like the show every season as the cast was amazing and so intense each week..We were very upset when the series ended. Charlie very much deserves the award NOT to be passed over.

33. jessica loudy says:

I think he should be commended for not just this scene but many more. He made the series come “alive”. The scene where Opie dies, The scene where Tara died, when Able was born, when Tara was kid napped an they found the girl with dark hair under a blanket, an many more. The list goes on an on. He is a fantastic actor an definitely needs to be recognized for it!

34. Diane Whitney says:

I think that Charlie Hunnam is well deserving of an Emmy. My husband and I never missed an episode. We even named our dog after him, haha. I would give him my vote !!!

35. Jamie Johnson says:

I love Bob Odenkirk. I watched him for years on Breaking Bad play Saul Goodman, and I LOVE that he was so good, it got it’s own spinoff Better Call Saul. I knew it was going to be good because it was done by Vince Gilligan and the rest of the breaking bad team, and Bob Odenkirk is such a talented actor. That said, however, Charlie Hunnam has portrayed Jackson Teller for the last seven seasons on Sons of Anarchy and has NEVER even been nominated for an Emmy! There are no more seasons left for SOA, as the final ride was just that, final. Bob Odenkirk will continue to be an amazing actor on Better Call Saul and any other project he chooses to do. Charlie Hunnam is a rising star and is bound for great things and great movies. Isn’t it his turn after all these years to FINALLY win an Emmy? Kurt Sutter created Charlie Hunnam is a rising star and is bound for great things and great movies. Isn’t it his turn after all these years to FINALLY win an Emmy? Kurt Sutter created Jax Teller and the rest of the Sons of Anarchy and should also win an Emmy for bringing to life a show that still has fans wanting more. Since we can’t get more, can Charlie Hunnam at least get a Emmy? He has more than earned it. He’s not just the sexiest man on the planet, but he’s one of the best up and coming actors in Hollywood. I think it’s time to show him some appreciation for his incredible work. It is long overdue. Better call Saul will still be on next year and can go on to win as many Emmys as possible. But for now I think it’s time to show him some appreciation for his incredible work. It is long overdue. Better call Saul will still be on next year and can go on to win as many Emmys as possible. But for now, can we please give Charlie Hunnam the Emmy he has deserved since season 1.

36. dale cooper says:

Best tv show hands down great actors week in week out.

37. Maggie says:

The whole season was unbelievably well written and we’ll acted. I felt the pain in Jax’s voice when talking to Juice. Definitely deserves to win.

38. Lynn nagy says:

Charlie really impressed me with his portrayal of Jax Teller. Twitter went crazy when he didn’t win. I think it’s time for Charlie to be recognized for his work.

39. pencat66 says:

Charlie deserves that award!!! Hands down rivoting, edge of my seat, nail biting!!!!

40. Jeanette Myers says:

I loved the show, and Charlie was awesome as Jax teller he deserves to be recognized as a truly unique actor. .

41. Lisa says:

charlie was seriously the best role in sons. He def should get an award

42. KTO says:

Charlie Hunnam became my favorite actor of all time once my son told me I would really like SOA. Charlie nailed that roll and you could feel every emotion he was feeling in all his scenes.
    He deserves a nomination and a WIN! Seems like such a nice guy and team player and he will go far in the business.

I have since watched all of his movies he made prior to this series and look forward to seeing “Crimson Peak”, King Arthur” series and “The Lost City of Z”

43. Tanya says:

Charlie Hunnam deserves to win the Emmy for this scene and MANY more – SOA as a whole has been snubbed to death by all of the awards shows and it’s just wrong.

44. lisa says:

Charlie should defiantly be nominated. That scene with juice in jail was one of the best scenes to ever be played on TV. Kurt Sitters show SOA has be overlooked enough since the beginning of the show. Time to give credit where credit is due. Miss SOA

45. Larry M says:

Sons of Anarchy was a great show, so much drama, Charlie Hunnam deserves to win this , he is a great actor, did a tremendous job in this tv series

46. lisa says:

Charlie should defiantly be nominated. That scene with juice in jail was one of the best scenes to ever be played on TV. Kurt Sutters show SOA has be overlooked enough since the beginning of the show. Time to give credit where credit is due. Miss SOA

47. June Clay says:

watching Jax and Juice one more time Im moved to tears once again as I was the first time I saw this. The awards can only go to Jax …. (Charlie) very best in many many years

48. Nikki says:

I’ve watch SOA from day one..Charlie deserves this win!!! He made Jax Teller an amazing character to watch!!! SOA was an amazing show!!

49. mia says:

Charlie Hunnam is overdue for an emmy thats my opinion

50. LaDonna. Rowe says:

Charlie has done such amazing work on Sons, he should definitely be recognized for it. Some of the best acting in a series that I have seen before.