Hannibal Cancelled at NBC

Hannibal Cancelled

NBC has stuck a fork in Hannibal.

The Peacock network has cancelled Bryan Fuller’s acclaimed, lush thriller, TVLine has confirmed. The show’s current third season — slated to wrap up in late August — will be its last.

“NBC has allowed us to craft a television series that no other broadcast network would have dared, and kept us on the air for three seasons despite Cancellation Bear Chow ratings and images that would have shredded the eyeballs of lesser Standards & Practices enforcers,” Fuller said in a statement. “[NBC president] Jen Salke and her team have been fantastic partners and creatively supportive beyond measure.

“Hannibal is finishing his last course at NBC’s table this summer,” Fuller added, “but a hungry cannibal can always dine again. And personally, I look forward to my next meal with NBC.”

NBC issued its own statement, saying, “We have been tremendously proud of Hannibal over its three seasons. Bryan and his team of writers and producers, as well as our incredible actors, have brought a visual palette of storytelling that has been second to none in all of television — broadcast or cable. We thank Gaumont and everyone involved in the show for their tireless efforts that have made Hannibal an incredible experience for audiences around the world.”

NBC’s decision to pass on a Season 4 hardly comes as a surprise, given Hannibal’s eroding ratings. The June 11 episode notched a series-low 1.7 million viewers and a 0.5 in the demo.

1. Pfft. I saw this coming since they announced the season would flash forward.

2. Jake says:

Amazon will probably pick it up.

• Bert says:

I think that AXN, which holds part of the rights to the title and distributes it internationally may still want to continue the series.

3. Jon says:

Sadly not particularly shocking. Hopefully its success in Europe means it gets a second life on another network/platform. Perhaps Amazon could step forward…not sure what kind of budget it would have though..

• AM68 says:

Well NBC doesn’t own the show – it’s financed independently so Amazon would have to put a ton of money into it.

• AMB says:

If Amazon were to continue it, I can’t imagine it would have to fork over a lot of money, since AXN and Gaumont pay the lion’s share of costs. NBC had very little money invested in the show.

4. ScrubsGuy says:

Come on, Netflix!

• AM68 says:

Amazon Prime probably will get They have the streaming rights for the show atm. And since Gaumont actually owns the show and not NBC I can see them getting first dibs. I’m hoping (praying) that one or the other picks the show up. I have both so I would be happy with either one.

• ScrubsGuy says:

I only said Netflix cause it’s more “internationally-friendly” than AP, but I do agree that Amazon is in a much stronger financial position to fund the production costs. It is the perfect niche show – can’t believe it was on NBC for three whole seasons.

• Remco Vonk says:

AM streaming Hannibal only in USA. But outside the US. It’s definitely Netflix streaming in CA South America and 14 European countries. So i really hope for Netflix.

5. abz says:

Sad, but not at all surprised especially given how this season hasn’t really been off to a great start. The past few episodes have been incredibly boring and slow. That and they waited a year to have it return. Maybe some people forgot about it or lost interest. Who knows, maybe it’ll get picked up by another network or online site.

• I really don’t think you have been watching the same show man. The 3rd season is amazing. Watch it again. My mind is blown.

• abz says:

I have been watching the same show, but we just disagree. Visually, acting-wise, and direction have all been perfect but characters and plot progression has done nothing for me this season. It’s still a great show, but this season has not been off to a great start. The premiere was good, but these past two episodes have bored me so much it felt like a chore to sit through. Endless talking that often goes no where. The show has begun to focus a lot more on visuals, which as beautiful as it may be is leading to disappointment for me because it’s plot progression and characters are being ignored or delayed. I’m not gonna give up on it, but I hope things pick up.

• Mara says:

Totally agree!

• Jonathan says:

I thought it was going well up until the endless catacomb scene at the end of episode 2, and most of ep. 3 was either tedious or ludicrous. Hoping for better from the rest of this season .. and based on my past experience with the show hoping it gets picked up for more!

• tomk1of1 says:

I thought the 1st ep was a bit off,but I’m trusting the writers. The past is as good a predictor as anything..so,I am very hopeful. And hopeful that it will find a cable or streaming home! But I had a similar reaction in ep one…

I also have found that sometimes if just one ep finds me wanting,or unhappy somehow,it is me,not the series. I have gone to a movie in a bad mood and hated it,seen it later and thought hmmm,what was I thinking..lol. But I don’t think that was happening with ep one…it was not what I was expecting., but I love to watch Gillian Anderson work…she is so good!

• rod says:

unfortunately, i have to agree. i thought the finale to season two was so epic and daring…shame that hardly any of it was ‘true’. “season 2: oh he killed this character, and that character, and that character’s dead too…. season 3: jk everyone survived! jk this person’s just a hallucination! but jk THIS person’s really alive!”

• bettybuster says:

Totally agree it has been awful until last week. Since so much time has passed the beginning of this season was painfully slow and confusing.

• Jonathan says:

After seeing episode 4, I think they should’ve condensed the first three eps into two with far fewer flashbacks to the season 2 finale bloodbath. It’s nice to see things moving along at last.

• You sound like every other fickle american. You get bored to damn easy.

• abz says:

Newsflash, not everyone that comments on sites is an American. And by looking at other comments, I’m not alone in my opinion. It’s a TV discussion board. What do you expect? You want everyone to agree about everything?

• CibolaReport says:

And you sound like you have a contemporary America education and commiserate tendency to mistake pretense for art. At least punctuate and spell correctly if you are going to try to be snooty.

• CibolaReport says:

I really have to agree with abz here. The visuals are fine but not used as well as visuals were in earlier episodes, to my eye. Definitely the development has suffered.

• mtmslg says:

What Cognitive Fungus Pro said.

• Amanda says:

I agree. The first season was thought provoking, and a feast for the eyes. This season has been more of a downer, with a lot of senseless flashbacks and angst. I am not going to miss it all that much.

• CibolaReport says:

Thanks. I couldn’t find the words for that–senseless angst. Heavy-handed was the best I could do. If it doesn’t pick up I won’t miss it that much either. If it does pick up, I’ll join the save Hannibal movement.

• CibolaReport says:

I agree. I found it quite slow with much wasted footage that could have been used for development instead being used for cliched shots in tunnels and forests and so forth. The first two seasons I couldn’t take my eyes or ears off the screen for half a second or I would miss something. In these last three eps, I could get a go get a sandwich and come back to nothing moved forward. I also find it heavy handed relative to the other seasons with only one surprise. A big yawn at a lot of stuff. The rating seem to reflect this.

• Brit says:

+1 with ABZ, watching this season to make fun of the painfully slow and boring pace and pale imitation of the movie.

6. julio says:

Wow not surprised this season has been terrible.

7. Imzadi says:

Never watched it, but I hope for the fans, that it will have a proper ending. And perhaps I might check it out. I know I’m shallow but, but my beloved Mr. Thornton / Richard Armitage will appear. So, I just might …

• jerzygirl45 says:

I really like the fact that, although you don’t watch, you wanted the fans that dowatch to be happy with it, instead of trashing the show, as some other internet commenters might do. Not really used to seeing such a grownup response on comment boards. It’s a nice change

• Imzadi says:

Well, thank you. I never understood why people trash a show, that they don’t even watch, but others cleary enjoy.

• zach trevors says:

You really should see the show its a masterpiece of television, a masterpiece of film-making in general. every episode is like a high budget movie

• CibolaReport says:

First two seasons are mind-blowingly beautiful, tight, intelligent and, well, weird. I encourage anyone with the tolerance for surreal gore to watch them–about three times.

8. Lysh says:

I don’t know why this surprises me since I didn’t watch it or pay attention to it’s ratings or anything. The Hannibal fandom sparked a flower crown meme, so I always thought they had a large fanbase.

9. AM68 says:

I’m so sad. Not surprised about the cancellation- just surprised that they announced the cancellation so early into the season. I just hope Fuller can shop the series around (please pick it up Amazon Prime!)

10. CJ says:

I will just file this under the “just glad we had when we did” folder for TV viewing.

11. Valeria says:

…One of the most fine tv show on air right now…Hope some serious and good channel/network will pick it up…

12. Mari says:

Noooooooooooooo :'(

13. This season of the show has been beautifully directed but lacks when it comes to the plot and characters. The best part of the show was the cat and mouse game between Will Graham and Hannibal. The stunning visuals have taken over the show and I think it drove people away. I hate to say it but I cared more about the show during season 1 and Season 2. The show was still better than most shows on network tv.

• #TooSmartToLoveHannibalBecauseIAmNotIrrationallyObsessedWithOneMaleActor says:

Bryan Fuller said he wanted to make a pretentious art film tv show. Guess what? People got bored with a lack of a plot, very little character interaction. Just too much dramatic scenery, dreamy sequences and no real substance killed this show. Flat out boring. Unless of course one is a Fannibal. In that case you would be easily placated to just look at Mads Mikkelsen doing nothing. His fans are easily entertained.

If this shows format is not restructured there is no point in marketing it elsewhere. In its present state it will be just as boring on Amazon or Netflix.

• FC says:

You hit the nail on the head. I actually just started getting into the series, watched the 1st season and was thinking wth with all this dreaming stuff, it’s overboard, the sound effects are more irritating than engaging. But still I would like to see this series survive somewhere else and tell the full story of Hannibal all the way up to the Hannibal movie/book.

• Malachi says:

Agreed. As a fan of the show, I was getting increasingly frustrated by all the time spent on the slow motion shots and wished they’d get down to it already. By episode 3 of the third season, it blew my mind that the writers were still interested in this “dance” between Will and Hannibal. Enough with the damn dance. The man is a serial killer and I thought by the third season that they’d finally treat him as such. I couldn’t understand the motivations of its characters and the fact that soooo much time was spent on shots of broken teacups instead of delivering information and moving the plot forward really sunk it.

Despite all that, I still wish the show gets picked up by someone else and completed.

• CibolaReport says:

Well, the Fannibals are sure mad at me for noticing…I am so glad to hear other people say the same things I was thinking about this season. It might get better.

14. alistaircrane says:

I tried the show and hated it, which is a shame because Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls are two of my favourite shows of all time. I’d love to see Pushing Daisies return.

• Joe says:

It’s amazing how different people can be because I tried both Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies and couldn’t get into either of them, but absolutely loved Hannibal.

• Jonathan says:

I like all three!

• justme says:

I loved Pushing Daisies, but couldn’t get into Wonderfalls (I’ve been wanting to give it a second chance though). I also liked Dead Like Me and Heroes (before he left the show). Then Hannibal came along and became my favorite Bryan Fuller show. I have been disappointed in season 3 so far, but I don’t want it to end.

• alistaircrane says:

I prefer fun, whimiscal, magical shows like Pushing Daisies and Wonderfalls. Hannibal is a miserable show for miserable people.

15. Tori says:

It didn’t deserve 3 seasons.

16. Scythe says:

Can it really be picked up by another network or company (Netflix or Amazon)? I am not familiar with this kind of move and thus don’t know whether this is something that could reasonably happen or just false hopes from viewers sad that they show got killed off :/

• John says:

In the case of a show like Hannibal, yes. Most of Hannibal’s financing is from another film company, hence how it’s been able to run as long as it already has with ratings being what they were.

17. John says:

So…is “at NBC” the operative word here?

• CibolaReport says:

Yes. DeLaurentiis, I think it was, mentioned that ‘cancelled” not the word to be using. It was “not acquired” by NBC. It is still running and can run elsewhere if there is a next season, for reasons others have explained.

18. chloe says:

dear god someone please pick the show up!!!!

19. Emor says:

The writing was on the wall months ago. When this season was basically two seasons in one, it was going to take a miracle to get another season. And it was just reported that Fuller has moved on to a new project, so what would be the point continuing without him. Thank you for 3 INCREDIBLE seasons!!!

• Sara says:

Bryan Fuller has been pretty adamant that his work on American Gods would not affect his work with Hannibal. He didn’t move on to something else, he just added something more to his plate.

20. danoregon says:

I’ve got to say, nice of NBC to make it quick, instead of keeping it on life support while it feeds off itself.

21. A.M says:

I never watched the show, but liked it from afar, it’s sad to see it cancelled. Hope it’s picked up on another platform, and that one day may have the courage to watch it.

22. Troy says:

Kind of saw this coming, especially with the low ratings and I agree with many people on this forum that this season has been really slow and seemed to focus more on the visual aspect than the actual plot and characters. Ep 3 of Season 3 felt like it was finally getting back on track. I do hope Netflix or Amazon picks it up. Hannibal seems like a show that deserves a nice binge watching instead of waiting week to week for a new episode. It’s a very slow burn show kind of how Daredevil was this season.

23. I had an inkling of hope but I never really thought NBC would renew it. Hopefully it gets picked up by Netflix or Amazon

24. nabocane says:

I have a feeling HBO might jump in fairly quickly. I think this is their kind of show, a potential to add many more Emmys to their extensive collection. Amazon might be a dark horse for it, but I don’t believe that either Netflix nor Hulu would want anything this dark. I mean, this season has been DARK. And given the content of the books that it has left to portray, it’ll only get darker.

It’s a shame, but really NBC had no business trying to shoehorn this into middle America’s consciousness. The last aired episode only drew a 0.50 demo. Now it can go live where it belongs; at a network that values content over headcounts.

By the way, I surmised that NBC had every intention of canceling this series the minute I read about it releasing ‘Aquarius’ all at once, leaving ‘Hannibal’ on a gory island on Thursday nights all by itself, trying to compete with all that sunshine-out-your-*ss BS at ABC, CBS and FOX.

25. Lizo says:

Maaaaaannn. Really?!? I can definitely see Starz, TNT or Netflix picking this up though.

26. Polly says:

Why the hell did they go with NBC in the first place? I remember that they said several networks wanted it and they chose to go with NBC because it supported the show, but NBC axes every good thing they get so it was doomed to be short lived from the start! Hope to got it is resurrected!

• canadian ninja says:

Three seasons isn’t exactly nothing. And I’d say this one actually has a fifty/fifty chance of winding up somewhere else … if Fuller can fit it in to his schedule.

27. Terry Delp says:

28. Matt says:

That’s what happens when a junk network ends up with an excellent show. I’m shocked they ever even had it to begin with. When a friend of mine said I should watch it when season 1 was on I initially dismissed it soley because it was on NBC. Hopefully Amazon will fund it or Netflix after their contract with Amazon runs out…Who knows maybe if that happens then the show will get better without the restrictions of television networks.

29. Ashley says:

One season for Wonderfalls.

Two seasons for Pushing Daisies.

Three seasons for Hannibal.

Keep going Bryan. You’ll soon be at The Simpsons level!

30. Diz says:

That sucks. I hope it finds another home.

31. N says:

I saw the writing on the wall after the premier rated so low. Its sad because instead of enjoying episode 2, I just wasn’t into it as I knew the show would be cancelled. I wish someone else would pick up the series, but I just cant see it. I must give credit to NBC for even allowing a second and third season.

32. Sara says:

I am gutted (much like Will Graham) over this news. I am glad they will play out the rest of the season though. It is such a wonderful show and I am so happy that NBC allowed it to continue on for 3 seasons.

33. R.O.B. says:

Amazon should step up and announce it is doing Season 4, which will be inspired by The Silence of the Lambs. That will get them press for sure and get people signing up for Prime.

34. lqza says:

Not surprised, I have never watched even 5 minutes of it. Never wanted to.

35. dellface says:

I can’t say I’m surprised. I’ve been a faithful viewer since the beginning but this season has been way too “out there” for me. I haven’t understood what’s going on yet!

36. Laura says:

Netflix, make your move !!!

37. CourtTV says:

Put a fork in it

38. Lynn says:

I’m not surprised. You knew NBC didn’t have much confidence in it when it’s lead in is able to be downloaded and watched all at once. I’ve tried to watch this show more than once. I watched the first couple of episodes and gave up. It’s just too gross. I’m not a really squeamish person either so if I can’t handle it I imagine most people can’t. Not to mention it is just unrelentingly depressing. There’s just no one to root for on this show. I guess Will is supposed to be the hero of the show but he’s as crazy and depressed as everyone else on it.

I gave it another try when I heard Gillian Anderson was on it. The X-Files is still my all time favorite show but still couldn’t watch it.

39. Not surprised it was dropped seeing as this season hadn’t even started to form anything even resembling a plot.

40. justsomeguy says:

Not a huge surprise. This season has been a major, major letdown. 3 episodes in, and the show is going nowhere with 7 episodes left. I just don’t understand after such an awesome season 2, especially the finale. They had their foot on the gas, and all of a sudden the show is sitting in a rest area. People started to abandon the show, and I completely understand why, and ultimately why NBC decided to cancel it. Whether it continues elsewhere or not, it didn’t deserve another season on NBC. Way too often shows decide to alter the formula that made it popular in the first place and then it goes down in flames. Hannibal is just another show to add to the list, sadly.

• justsomegirl says:

Nice to read a commentary that has an open minded critique of this show and particularly the current season. Unlike the person who posted this hash tag on twitter.

#TooDumbToLoveHannibal – Check it out at Twitter. Apparently this fan thinks that if you do not like the television show it is because you are too dumb to understand it.

This priceless tidbit from a woman who wants to know all the details of the shampoo scene from GillianA, only then will she go see the play Ms. Anderson is performing in.

• Sara says:

Actually, there are 10 episodes left.

41. Cody says:

Maybe Netflix or some other online site will pick it up for a fourth and final season so that they can wrap up any loose ends.

42. Mickey Lane says:

So glad this was cancelled. We don’t need anymore horror stories on TV, especially when based on a true story.. Do you think maybe some of what we are bombarded with on TV might possibly have some bearing on the crap that is going on in our world!!!

• KRock says:

So you think there should only be shows about puppies and rainbows? I don’t think it’s fair for you to say that a TV show has any effect on what happens in the real world. People don’t kill people because of something they saw on TV, and if they claim that, they’re already unhinged.

43. LABete says:

Terrible news! I hope that Amazon or Netflix keeps the show going. The cast, writing, and production values are so amazing; we just can’t lose Hannibal forever!

44. pamela says:

Devastated by this, I really hope another channel picks this up.

45. Riana says:

You could say it got cooked

46. annaktee says:

I’m not as sad about this as I thought I’d be. I loooooved the first two seasons, but I’ve had some problems with season 3… it’s just all-visual-no-story as of late. The balance is just off. Maybe it will get back to its normal awesome self, buuut we’ll see. Anyway, I’d still be happy if someone else picked this up. Apparently people are talking about Amazon Prime, which would be cool, since I actually do have that (Netflix still not big in Germany/Europe btw…).

• CibolaReport says:

It probably got “not acquired” again for the same reason some of us won’t be as sad as we thought we would be and the same reason the ratings tanked–pretty much what you said. Just don’t notice in front of a dedicated Fanninal. My ears are still ringing from the reaction I got got when I asked if anyone else had noticed this season is lacking? Hey, I waited til the third episode to giveb it a chance.

• #NotToStupidToFallForAnythingBeingSoldToMeAsTalent says:

Only ringing? Normally the raging obsessive adoration of a Fannibal would have either burned your ear or cut it off. Have you not figured out yet these fans are incapable of being rational? The ability of discernment are lost on these sycophants’. These women root for a cannibalistic killer. Aw. I guess they will just have to settle for the talent and “art” of the Rihanna video, “B$tch Better Have My Money.” Graphic pointless violence along with sexually degradation of women stars the good Dr. Lecter as the accountant. Sits there with his pants unzipped and the women with him are probably about his daughters’s age. Annie Hart another commenter says it best, ” Mind-Rotting garbage.” Perhaps Mads Mikkelsen will twerk next with Miley.
        But of course in the Fannibals’ minds, it’s all the fault of his agent he did this video. They are incapable holding this man accountable. For anything.

Now do you understand why you are not allowed to have a differing opinion CibolaReport?

47. Brenda Doss says:

I am very upset you are cancelling Hannibal, I very much enjoyed the series and waited on the edge of my seat for it’s return.

48. Annie Hart says:

what?!??!??!? How can a show of this quality be cancelled when mind-rotting garbage continues to air left and right?!!?

49. kmw says:

Too bad. NBC has so many worse shows on the air and I realize their ratings were never great, but this is not a good move( just like moving Hannibal to summer wasn’t a good move either) NBC is going in wrong direction

50. JIm J. says:

Sigh… Another example of a “critically-acclaimed” TV series falling victim to low viewership. It is such a waste.

• Arian says:

I will commit sudoku if no one picks this up. It’s so frustrating, having the only reason I bother owning a television for taken away because most people can’t, or simply do not want to appreciate Hannibal because of its superficial violent nature.

Every other show being aired at the moment all seem to have cheesy scripts written by 16 y/os with predictable developments, extremely shallow storylines, and worst of all offer absolutely nothing to take away from or nothing to reflect upon after watching. They’re all such awful time sinks, I’m offended for even having them as ‘options’. I’m worried there won’t be another show on the same level as Hannibal. I hope things get sorted out for the better.

If this really is the end, then a big thank you to those who made this show possible, the writers, the producers, the actors and the crew. In the briefness of time you were given, you made my fantasy of televised perfection into a reality. Thank you.