Killjoys: Does Syfy's Bounty Hunter Drama Warrant a Second Look?

Syfy on Friday night allowed entry into a new universe — a world patrolled by Killjoys. Will you keep the new space saga in your crosshairs?

Killjoys stars Hannah John-Kamen (The Hour) and Aaron Ashmore (Warehouse 13, Smallville) as Dutch and John, interplanetary bounty hunters — or Killjoys — who as agents of the Reclamation Apprehension Coalition chase deadly Warrants (fugitives) throughout the Quad, a planetary system on the brink of a class war.

After a cold open that gives a taste for how crafty this tag team can be, John intercepts a Level 5 Kill Warrant for his estranged brother, D’Avin (Brothers & Sisters‘ Luke Macfarlane), who’s currently serving as an indentured fighter. John attempts to spring D’Avin and… well, he hadn’t quite figured out the rest of his plan. So as the siblings slug it out in an arena, Dutch catches wind of John’s deception and winds up helping her partner free his bro and spirit him away.

The thing is, Warrants — especially of the Kill level — tend to stick, so Dutch and John need to somehow make the one assigned to D’Avin go away. Dutch consults her colleague, Bellarus, who discovers that this particular kill Warrant was issued by The Company, an ominous entity that sometimes enlists the RAC to round up scalawags. Dutch learns that there’s only one fugitive The Company wants more than D’Avin, and that’s some guy named Rolly Desh.

Working as a team in staking out Killjoys - Season 1some (sadly mundane- and Earth-looking) soiree, D’Avin spies Rolly, but when Dutch goes to grab him she gets nicked by a poisoned dagger meant for her — thrown by a rival Killjoy, Fancy Lee. While D’Avin and John chase after Rolly, a mysterious older man, Khylen, finds woozy Dutch and helps her ward off the poison. As he does so, Dutch flashes back to her childhood, where she was trained as a fighter by Khylen — as well as indoctrinated in a mystical rite where she occasionally receives a red box, with which comes an (deadly) assignment.

D’Avin winds up fulfilling the kill Warrant against Rolly, yet he and John are outnumbered by the party guards. That’s when a recovered Dutch arrives on the scene and fells the small army with a necklace of “beads” that turn into explosive beetles, as well as some sweet moves. In the aftermath, The Company agrees to waive the warrant against D’Avin, but Dutch still must answer to the RAC for going off-mission. And though her weasely RAC superior had wished for her dismissal (or more likely worse), he grumbled that he was “overruled” by… someone.

Later, after the team celebrates their narrow escape, D’Avin asks John just how much (which is frankly near-nothing) he knows about his well-trained partner. Meanwhile, Dutch retires to her chambers for the night, only to find on her bed a red box — as a look of worry/terror washes across her face.

What did you think of Syfy’s new space drama?

1. Katherine215 says:

Loved it! Definitely coming back for more. Great chemistry among the three of them. I’m really liking this Syfy Friday line up.

2. Billie Doux says:

Wants to be Firefly. Isn’t.

3. mike says:

yep I Will be watching next week

4. JAO says:

Loved it. I was surprised how much. Only checked out because of Ashmore. So glad I did.

5. Joey Padron says:

Like it a lot, it was good. 3 main cast members chemistry is good. Looking forward to watching more!

6. Beth says:

Nice fun summer show, definitely watching this

7. James D says:

I really enjoyed it. Clearly it’s main inspiration is Firefly which is by no means a bad thing as long as I can find its own identity which i think it will. I will definitely keep watching.

• tyranthraxus says:

Id admire that you are still hung up on Firefly but seriously you are STILL comparing shows to it? I think you are better off looking at Dark Matter for your Firefly links.

8. m3rcnate says:

It wasn’t bad, nothing corny or anything, due to the lack of other shows on TV right now i will watch ep. 2. However the CGI, action, acting, characters, and plot of “Dark Matter” are all better.

• Brigid says:

I have to disagree on the acting and characters of Dark Matter being better. To me, all of the characters are stereotypes. The angry guy, the tough girl, mysterious girl, gentle giant, hunky guy, quiet guy…… That was the one thing I rolled my eyes at.

• m3rcnate says:

Well yeah, but they are just their base selves, because they don’t have any memories of who they are. Those memories are what deepen a person, give them complexity and depth. Right now all they are is the angry guy, the quiet guy, the hunky (whiny) guy, the tough girl, etc.
        My hope is as they start to learn about themselves and experience more things and possibly get their memories back, they will become more and more complex and less stereotypical archetypes.

9. Cindy says:

I missed this. Is there an element of humor? I noticed someone said it was “fun” so I’m hoping there is.

• JustLookAtTheFlowers says:

Yes, there is definitely humor – especially in the interactions between the three main characters.

10. ? says:

Yikes. That. Was. BAD. Can’t wait for next week. By the way, what’s with all the casual sexism in this and Dark Matter? Did it really stand out as egregious to anyone else? I’m not someone who gets angry about this sort of thing or goes out of my way looking for it . . . but come on! Very tone deaf.

• JustLookAtTheFlowers says:

Huh? What sexism? You mean how both shows have leaders who are females who end up being quite a bit smarter than their male co-leads? Or are you upset that Dutch uses her feminine assets to throw her enemy off-guard before kicking his butt?

11. Imzadi says:

It has potential. I missed some good space scifi since Battlestar Galactica (and before that Farscape) ended. So I’m going to keep watching.

12. bj says:

Loved it. Friday night is sci fi night for me now.

13. A great new show that proves why Sci Fi is not dead on tv

14. JustLookAtTheFlowers says:

I loved it. They established the look and feel of the universe this show takes place in right away with the sets and costumes, and also the outside shows of the Quad system. The costumes and sets are exotic without ever looking cheap and cartoonish. The characters are fun and hot (I think I’m gonna like this D’Avin guy). There were some good comedic moments, my favorite being John trying to talk his brother through how they will escape the fight and then his brother kicks him in the face. Also – Dutch is awesome. The only thing I would write as a negative is the music is a little over-the-top *girl-power* and I agree that that soiree looked like it could’ve taken place right here on in our timeline. Overall I’m impressed and plan on watching it along with Dark Matter, which got better with the 2nd episode.

15. javadude54 says:

I watched about half of the pilot before I got bored and started skipping through the rest. It just seemed very sloppy and derivative. That said, I’ll keep watching just so I can see the scenes that Sarah Power is in.

16. BostonGreekGirl says:

I’m in the fence abt this one. I am going to give it a cpl more shows before I decide

17. Sheldon W. says:

Like her previous series, Lost girl, Michelle Lovretta has dumped us in the middle of an intriguingly detailed world and introduced us to characters we’ll have to get to know as the series progresses.

The premiere, Bangarang, gave us enough of a feel for what the series might be to make it worth watching in future and the platonic relationship between Dutch and Johnny Jacobis is fun. D’Avin’s presence should create some solid friction – estranged brother, distrustful of Dutch (and for good reason) – to the mix.

I’ll definitely give the show three or four eps to see where it goes.

18. curtlyon19 says:

A Ashmore and Luke McFarland make it worth the watch all by themselves

19. Jess says:

I liked it. Friday night is now my must watch shows of the summer. Definitely keep watching this and Dark Matter.

20. Maryann says:

The first episode is way better than the previews. It is subtle with character development, which I never would have guessed from the mindless preview.

21. Mary Ann says:

It would have been funny if they had Shawn Ashmore play Aaron’s brother. Only problem is we wouldn’t be able to tell them apart.

22. TrueConfessions says:

Loved Dark Matter – not so much Killjoys.

23. jhbiyguigiubuiug says:

Does anyone know the song that’s playing in the back of the scene where Dutch throws her spider necklace? It is not the song by Tyga and Etsy by the way

24. Chance says:

Based on the promotional images it looked like it was gonna be super corny and dated, but in spite of the obvious lack of budget it was a lot of fun and it’s gonna get a season pass on my DVR.

25. Diane says:

I enjoyed Killjoys it seems a bit different than what is on now. Anything one of the Ashmore twins is in is usually entertaining and well acted. Luke and Hannah did a good job also.

26. killmotion says:

I loved it. I have really missed space set shows. And from articles I’ve read and knowing the creator is that of Lost Girl, I’m confident it will only get better from here. Finally with this and Dark Matters I can get my black sky sci-fi fix!

27. nora mclellan says: