Emmys

Emmy Screening Room: Eva Green in Penny Dreadful's Epic, NSFW Seance

June 26 — the cutoff date for the 2015 Emmy Awards nomination voting — is just days away. And that’s a source of both great anticipation and nameless dread for those of us obsessed with quality television.

Team TVLine has already brought you our Dream Emmy Ballots in 10 key Emmy races — click here to see our picks! — but we wanted to make one last push on behalf of a few favorites whose work was so outstanding this year that the possibility of a snub makes us want to channel Cookie on Empire and wallop some fools with a broom.

With that said, we present the first of our Emmy Screening Room submissions: Penny Dreadful‘s Eva Green, for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. We defy you to watch from start to finish and tell us she shouldn’t hear her name called when nominees are announced on July 16.

The setup: When Vanessa (Eva Green) and Sir Malcolm (Timothy Dalton) attend a party at the home of Egyptologist Sir Ferdinand Lyle (Simon Russell Beale), they are soon swept up in a seance led by the medium Madame Kali (Helen McCrory). During the ritual, Vanessa is overtaken by the spirits of Sir Malcolm’s children: first, his deceased son, Peter, who died while on an African expedition with Sir Malcolm; then, his daughter, Mina, who remains trapped in a mysterious half-world after being captured by a supernatural creature. Throughout her impassioned, frenetic and oftentimes vulgar monologue, Vanessa brings to light all the demons — both literal and figurative — that have plagued Sir Malcolm for years.

Press PLAY above for the full scene (with a brief intro from series creator John Logan), then share your thoughts on whether Green should/will make the Emmy ballot.

1. I love Eva Green. A really talented captivating actress – Miss Ives rules!!

2. Vanessa says:

Bravo! I don’t believe anyone on this category deserves this Emmy more than her.

3. pamela says:

Not only she deserves the nomination, but she deserves to win! Amazing actress!

4. Juno says:

Eva Green is phenomenal. This scene alone is a testament of her superb acting ability. Give her all the awards!

5. Hannah says:

I usually don’t comment but I just have to say, Eva is absolutely outstanding in this show. This show and it’s cast doesn’t get the recognition I think it should, which is a shame.

6. Bea says:

If she doesn’t win, we riot! I don’t understand. This is superb as hell. She seriously needs to be nominated & WIN!

7. steve says:

This is the scene that hooked me on Penny Dreadful. The overall casting is great, but Eva Green is so friggin fantastic I can’t stand it! Viva Eva!!

8. Joey says:

I can’t understand how a person could watch this and not think that, at the very least, its an Emmy-nominated performance, if not Emmy-winning.

9. julesvdm@yahoo.com says:

EVA GREEN. I DON.T NEED TO THINK.

10. This Emmy damn belong to her she’s the obly personality that deserve i prayed that Eva gonna win this award!!!

11. Suresh says:

Eva Green is great but I think there are more deserving actresses that deserve the award. Tatiana Maslaney is continually snubbed. She is brilliant and gives a fascinating ,flawless performance. Viola Davis is so raw yet strong and also deserves it. Lastly i think its Keri Russels turn to finally be acknowledged for being an amazing lead actress.

• Gina says:

Put any of those actress you’ve mentioned to do the scene above and if they do it with 85% of Eva’s majesty then they might deserve a nomination.

12. genic says:

She’s the only reason I still watching this show. Her performance is magnificent.

13. Stergios says:

She should win the Emmy for that scene alone. She cews up the scenery as Vanessa Ives in Penny Dreadful. She gives performance that goes besides awards-worthy or not. It’s a performance for the ages, a terrifying portrayal of a woman fighting against the demons that threaten her soul. She’s just exceptional.

14. misterandybones says:

Oh Eva Green… She was made in a Soviet laboratory during the Cold War- Some secret project to infiltrate Western society & crush the souls of men with her awesomeness. The seance scene was out of control- this chick can throw lightning with her performance. I’ve never been terrified-of and hot-for a girl so simultaneously. Take thy classy arrows from my heart Eva Green~

15. rusty_cd says:

I haven’t rewatched this scene since I originally saw the episode. I never realized that Evelyn called Vanessa Amunet in this scene. Nice little bit of foreshadowing there. And not that she is Amunet, as Lyle makes that comment soon after this scene. But that Evelyn recognizes Vanessa for who she is.