Horror Story EP Ryan Murphy Squashes Hotel Musical Buzz: Lady Gaga Is Playing a 'Pure Acting Part'

AHS Hotel Spoilers

Lady Gaga will have her acting face on — and only her acting face — when American Horror Story: Hotel opens its doors this fall.

Responding to rumors that Gaga’s casting — and the subsequent hiring of vocally-gifted thesps such as Cheyenne Jackson and Matt Bomer — suggests Season 5 will have a musical bent, exec producer Ryan Murphy maintains that nothing could be further from the truth.

“People, keep saying to me, ‘What numbers are they singing, what numbers are they singing?’ and I say, ‘There will be no numbers,'” he tells our sister site Deadline. “The interesting thing is we cast a lot of singers this season, but I like that singers — for the most part — [tend to be] great actors, because they know how to sell a story through song. I’m excited about that and I think that’s why Gaga was excited about it; it’s not something that she’s ever done before.

“It’s a pure acting part,” he maintains of Gaga’s role. “I think people expect that she’s going to be sitting in a bar in a white silk gown sort of singing songs — she is not.”

Murphy also notes that AHS: Hotel will be “much more horror-based” and “more dark” than its predecessors, adding, “It’s… a little bloodier and grislier I think than anything that we’ve done before. It’s straight horror this year.”

That said, Hotel shares some DNA with Season 1. “Murder House was very primal because everybody’s great fear is about the bogeyman under the bed in their house,” says Murphy. “And [Hotel] feels similar to me in that when you check into a hotel, there are certain things beyond your control. Other people have the keys to your room… You’re not exactly safe.”

1. alistaircrane says:

Murder House was the best season, so I truly hope Hotel is similar.

• Fx says:

Murder House lost it halfway. Asylum was much better IMO>

• Adam says:

I think Asylum was the best, but anything closer to either Asylum or Murder House would be much preferred to Coven and Freak Show which had too little plot and too much focus on…nothing, really.

• Kevin says:

can’t speak much for coven, since I don’t like it as well, but it was fun to watch i guess. However, i did enjoy freak show very much, I liked its character-based storytelling approach, rather than being more plot-focused.

2. Jon says:

“[Acting]’s not something that she’s ever done before”
    Get your facts right Murphy, she’s been in both Machete Kills and Sin City 2.

• Megan says:

He didn’t say acting’s not something she’s ever done before, He is talking about her telling a whole story through a full season of AHS. Which is absolutely right. She’s never done TV before let alone 13 episodes.

3. robandco says:

That last quote gives me SO MUCH HOPE. Murder House was one very dark and twisty, and I loved every minute of it.
    Regarding Lady Gaga, well, why not. I am a big fan of her and since she’s been through a casting process I’m sure she is up for the job.

4. Sam Shaw says:

I feel like even Ryan Murphy can’t screw this one up. But I thought that about seasons 3 and 4 too, and I was dead wrong.

5. abz says:

That’s such a shame. Not that I necessarily want Lady Gaga to be singing on the show but that there will be no numbers at all. This is one season where I would actually welcome it because rarely do we get to see Matt Bomer sing and I would have absolutely loved it. Aside from Glee and the few YouTube videos, he doesn’t seem to sing much, but he has a great voice.

6. lisa says:

There could not be a thing you could say that would make me happier! I was so worried about it becoming American Horror Story: The Musical.. very glad they staying away from that. I welcome the darkness and horror with open arms!

7. Lysh says:

I haven’t seen any of these things, but I’m tempted to watch this one. I love Gaga.