Gillian Anderson Teases X-Files Revival: 'It's Strange to Be Back Here'

The X Files‘ Dana Scully is officially back to work, but she almost slept through her alarm clock.

“It feels like it’s been a long time since I’ve played her,” says Gillian Anderson of her role in Fox’s hotly anticipated, six-episode revival of the sci-fi franchise. “I can’t remember what year the movie was, but it felt like [Scully] was further away from me than I’d thought she would be. But I’ve also worked really hard at putting her entirely to sleep, so that was successful; she’s just taken longer to wake up.”

Anderson has only seen the first two revival scripts — the third is sitting in her inbox, she admits — and while the experience has been a good one, it’s also “strange to be back here,” she says. “This is a lot of flashbacks, a lot of deja vu, a lot of remembering dynamics — and it’s… a thicker substance to wade through than I’d thought.”

Asked to describe the season premiere in three words, Anderson takes a long pause. “‘Slow.’ ‘Intense.’ And it’s setting groundwork, so it’s got a particular role to play. It does exactly what it needs to do. What’s a single word for fulfilling that requirement? ‘Functional’? ‘Appropriate’? ‘Functional’ works,” she says with a hearty laugh. “Slow, intense and functional!”

As for Agent Scully herself, Anderson — who is a regular on NBC’s Hannibal this seasongiggles that “She’s older! She aged!” since we last saw her. Beyond that, though, it’s “tricky” to pinpoint how the iconic woman of science has evolved. “Anything I say is going to sound like something you’re not going to want to watch. But that’s not the case,” the actress promises. “It’s just… I don’t even know. That’s a hard one. I appreciate the question, but I can’t answer it.”

The X-Files returns to Fox on Sunday, Jan. 24, 2016. In addition to Anderson and David Duchovny (as Fox Mulder), cast members Mitch Pileggi and William B. Davis, series creator Chris Carter, and writers-producers Glen Morgan, James Wong and Darin Morgan will be on hand for the event series.

Do Anderson’s teases have you more excited to discover whether the truth is out there? Sound off in the comments!

1. kmw says:

I am cautiously optimistic. January is a long way off

2. I’m certain one thing one must never do is tell people that a script for a hotly-anticipated project is sitting on someone’s inbox. That will only inspire those who know how to hack it and download it, lol.

3. ninamags says:

Woohoo!!!! Dana Scully!!! Cannot wait till January. Are they filming in Vancouver? Many crew members from back in the day are now or have worked for Supernatural.

God bless Kim Manners.

4. The real X-File involves the dress she is wearing in this picture. It has the image of David Duchovny’s face on it just below her left breast. I’ve seen it more close up as well as the picture from Californication that it was taken from. I’d love to hear that story!

5. Drew says:

They should not put her in charge of publicity.
    I really want this to be great. They’re filming in Vancouver, which is good… Wrong season, but still good. Now we just need Chris Carter to not suck. That part might be tricky.

• Cartman10 says:

We just need idiot to not be idiots since Chris Carter has never sucked, he wrote some of the most brilliant scripts of all time and built the best writing team in TV history. Shut up.

6. Lysh says:

Gillian doesn’t have the best memory of TXF. I hope she at least watched a few episodes to help wake up the Scully inside her. I’m sure it’ll be very different but I’m still hugely optimistic and excited.

7. Mike says:

I thought it was coming back in this summer 2015?

8. Karen says:

“Slow” and “functional”… Interesting choice of descriptors. Doesn’t SOUND super exciting – even with “intense” thrown in for good measure. I am beyond excited about TXF revival and nothing short of death will keep me from watching every single second of the six episodes 20 times over… but that didn’t inspire a whole lot of confidence. 😑

9. Matt says:

Morgan & Wong producing? Darin Morgan writing? OMG, it’s finally the X-Files we’d hoped for!

10. Et al says:

She definitely just lowered my expectations :/

11. Jay says:

Yikes! This doesn’t sound promising. By the end of the series (and the last movie) Chris Carter had mastered the art of boring me to death so it looks like more of the same.

• ericcartman23 says:

Yeah, great and intelligent writing tends to do that to stupid people. You were probably bored to death by your own stupidity.

12. Bri369 says:

I want to be excited about my favorite show of all time making a triumphant comeback… but damn, Gillian! Way to lower my expectations like a boss.

13. David4 says:

I really hope people realize she probably won’t do more shows after these six, she is the hold out. I don’t blame her, but her comments are really out there.

• ericcartman23 says:

Yeah…she’s the hold out, except she’s already said that she and David are going to be back if Chris is going to have more stories to tell.

14. flmabon says:

I have been marathon watching All seasons in preparation! Of course I have them all including movies on dvd! Seriously can’t wait for January 24, 2016!

15. Mel says:

SO excited! Thanks for this little snippet to whet my appetite.

16. Terry says:

I hope Scully isn’t going to be blonde in the X-Files revival, me no-likey.

• Drew says:

Gillian already posted a redheaded picture on Twitter. The photo above is from before she dyed it red.
      But in the picture that she posted, she also had a tan… Dana is a natural redhead, so I hope they cover that with makeup or something. Tan redheads are like rainbows at midnight.

17. Mark Ince says:

She needs to get rid of that dolly Parton hair!

18. X-FilesShow Fan says:

I was super happy the show was coming back. been a fan since the pilot. I hope dana still has red haur, its the scully trademark. sorry not a fan of the blonde hair. hope Gillian wears a red wig or dyes the hair red but since its been what the 3rd episode or so, and Gillian is still an blonde, hoping for the red hair.. cant see dana as a blonde, because it doesn’t suit Gillian. cant wait to see fox mulder and dana scully and their adopted half human, half alien son… (The Truth Is Out There, Believe!)

19. I was happy to hear of a revival. I was let down by the last movie…it was just weird and sick to me. I was ready to have some loose ends tied up, and some of the mythology revisited. Definitely William updated. I don’t expect them to have been frozen after all this time, but I don’t want totally new stuff without resolution of some old stuff.

20. Barry Cantrell says:

Gillian Anderson is hot Blond! It will be a joy to see transform into the logic thinking Scully. Who in her own right is hot! A date with either one would be an interesting and fun evening.

21. ronald ferreira says:

she’s absolutely beautiful in satin. i have a scully moulder her doll. and their the only collectible dolls that is identical as them mirror image have it somewhere