Big Brother Announces 'Takeover' Twist, Special Guests for Season 17

Big Brother Julie Chen

Surely the contestants on Big Brother‘s 17th season are expecting a few curveballs throughout the summer — but are they prepared for a new twist every week?

The CBS reality staple on Wednesday announced its “BB Takeover” theme for the upcoming cycle, which will feature surprise guests who will unleash new twists into the game each week.

“This is going to be the biggest Big Brother ever! Surprise guests, twists every week all summer long and, of course, Zingbot!” executive producer Rich Meehan said in a statement. “But the Houseguests better keep their focus, because Big Brother is all about relationships. Trust me, with all the twists and turns, those bonds will be more important than ever, because at the end of the week, it’s your housemates that send you packing on eviction night.”

The first two mystery guests will appear during Big Brother‘s two-night premiere — airing Wednesday, June 24, and Thursday, June 25, at 8/7c — and will reveal twists that could affect both the contestants and the viewers.

As previously reported, the live feed this year will be available via the CBS All Access service (as part of the $5.99/month subscription fee).

What are your thoughts on Big Brother‘s latest twist? Which “special guests” would you like to see pay the BB house a visit? Hit the comments!

1. Erin says:

So basically they’re going to start following us in Canada and ruin the game with too many twists.

• B says:

That was my thought as well. Big Brother Canada averages at least a twist per week. I don’t hate it, it just makes the American and Canadian versions more distinct. I was them to keep their own merits in their own ways.

• Dude says:

For me it was the cast that made this season of BB Canada despite all the twists. If the American cast is just as good, it should be fine but judging from the pictures/bios, I’m not optimistic.

2. CK says:

So when they say “surprise guests” and “shocking twists”, they probably mean “plants” and ‘blatant producer manipulation”, right?

3. wrstlgirl says:

And there it is. Surprise guests will be mostly old house guests because they love bringing them back again and again. As I said in yesterday’s post I figured they’d find a way to include Frankie, ugh.

4. When will they just put people in the house and have them compete in competitions to win the game. You know like they USE to do….

5. BrightLight says:

We all know those first two mystery guests will be Rachel and Brendon, right? I mean Rachel has been on EVERY year since BB12. BLEH!

• wrstlgirl says:

Or Frankie and Zach, those two were fiercely popular last season, ick. I’m so sick of every season being about Rachel. Enough already!!!

• Eric says:

Exaggeration much? Rachel was on BB12 and BB13 as a player. BB14, BB15, and BB16 were not actually about her. Did she make a guest interview appearance on a live show? Sure. But that doesn’t mean the seasons are about her.

• wrstlgirl says:

Absolutely not. She may not physically be there every season but that doesn’t stop the house guests from talking about her. Mark my words, her name will come up more than once.

• BrightLight says:

I never said she was a contestant every season since BB12. Nor did I ever say that the seasons were about her. I said that she has been on the show at least once every season since then and that’s a fact, not an exaggeration. So we all know she’ll be seen at some point during this season because CBS thinks we need to see her or we’ll forget she was ever on BB.

• Dude says:

Fiercely popular? To who? Zach maybe but Frankie was pretty reviled.

• wrstlgirl says:

Well he’s certainly reviled by myself and basically anyone I know who watched last season but his online presence is very popular especially in the gay community.

• Fred says:

He’s despised by people, gay and straight.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m not saying he isn’t. But I know that he’s not by many also. He’s got over a million twitter followers for crying out loud. Plus he’s already doing BB live feeds. IMO he’s not worth this silly argument.

• Dawnie Johnston says:

I loved Frankie actually. He was actually playing big brother the right way. I wanted him to win. Idk why nobody liked him. He made the season interesting.

6. DoctorWhoFanatic says:

Oh Clay, I am going to enjoy watching you all summer long. Keep your shirt off, please.

7. Et al says:

Expect the painfully expected.

8. Derision says:

I’ve given up on BBUS mostly, get far more enjoyment watching BBUK and BBAU

9. Dude says:

This just reminds me of Dr. Will’s tweets that the American Big Brother is far superior to the Canadian one because there’s less twists. Eating those words aren’t you now Will? I know people had a problem with the twists but I thought this past season of BB Canada was fantastic and I’m not sure BB America can top it.

10. jss0058 says:

“twist” = another way for producers to scew the contest to the outcome they want. I just wish they would let an entire season play out with no twists at all. play the game as normal from start to finish.

11. Debbie Ellis says:

PLEASE…don’t bring back any previous house guests. I am so over that. I want to see new people!!

12. spdavid says:

Smells like desperation.

13. Mel says:

Why is everyone hating on everything so much? Aren’t you on this site because you are a big brother fan? Then why are people complaining so damn much? Just watch the show, lighten up, and have fun. It may be a reality show, but it is ONLY A TV SHOW. Jeez. I for one can’t wait for my summer obsession!

14. Deb says:

As an FYI Erin, BB Canada is actually run by our BB US. The twists make the show more interesting to watch and keeps the contestants on their toes. I hope we have more twists on BB US this season.

15. Richard says:

Hey Julie, gain some weight. You look horrible. Too skinny! Your a beautiful woman with wonderful curves and a natural for television. Bon appetite!