Bates Motel Renewed at A&E for Seasons 4 and 5

Bates Motel Renewed

A&E clearly has no reservations about keeping Bates Motel in business: The cabler has renewed the Vera Farmiga-Freddie Highmore drama for Seasons 4 and 5.

The move amounts to a 20-episode pickup, and ensures that co-creators Kerry Ehrin and Carlton Cuse will get to finish out what they have long billed as a five-season tale. However, A&E’s announcement stopped short of declaring Season 5 the show’s last.

“The vision of our incredible creative team has exposed the steady breakdown of the relationship between Norman and Norma Bates,” said Rob Sharenow, Executive Vice President and General Manager of A&E. “We are thrilled to bring fans two more seasons to witness the next stages of Norman’s transformation into the most notorious psychopath in cinematic history.”

Bates Motel‘s fourth season is slated to air in early 2016, followed by Season 5 in early 2017.

1. Ro says:

Best news in months!!

2. 50 episodes across five seasons. That seems like too little.

• Dude says:

Given that Bates Motel is uneven in its 10 episode seasons as it is, I wouldn’t want to see what they’d do with more episodes.

• Syndee says:

You are a fool. Really, no offense but this series is & always was incredible. Well maybe in the USA! Lol. We love Bates Motel. It’s a hit here & will remain so because the actors & actresses are so talented & that cut along with the story Iine. It’s #ONE here in my part of the world.
        Btw, I support your country in soooo many ways & would do anything possible to help after this crazy terroristic damage from Isis. My heart & soul goes out to all of you, your families and friends etc. Stay strong. We have help for you coming from the USA. because we do respect all of our fellow countries that dont want this unbelievable & undeserved torchure. You are all important to us. Your lives, homes, children, we’ll being. Etc. My prayers are sent to you. This TV series isn’t important. Just trying to keep our minds on other things, as hard as it is, this isn’t worth a moment of thought other than telling you that our hearts are with you for all of your safety & well being. 💛✌ from a respectful American that has no prejudice except for those who are terrorists & hurt innocent people anywhere in our world. We love you!!! XOXO

• Cindy Dodd says:

Well said Syndee, Bates Motel has wonderful actors, and I agree with you on how terrible it is to have to deal with terrorists, my heart and prayers go out to all the family! Yes, it’s entertainment, but there’s nothing wrong with us enjoying ourselves, nothing wrong in it at all…everything has its time and place, I was brought up to believe in working hard and enjoying life, responsibilities come first of course! Night-night all! 😴

• If A&E put enough money on the table and ratings are there. I am sure Carlton, Keri and Vera will work out a way to keep the show going. But that’s wishful thinking.

• Yes very much so , I love this show , I think we should have more seasons .

• LIsa Probst says:

I couldn’t agree more Micheal Sacal. My hubby and I surely donot want to see the series end….so many thingstudents and so many different things they could do with the show. It’s a shame.

• Syndee says:

Total agreed. It’s NOT canceled right? I’ve seen commercials for the next season. But they let us low now even if it doesn’t start til mid January. It’s so rediculous. Wasn’t there 2 seasons per year but short seasons? Do u know when it starts on A&E after today (Nov. 21, 2015) I just want to set my cell calendar to remind me to record the season. Hopefully you know more than me. It’s the one of 2 series I never missed. The other is American Horror Story. (Now “Hotel” with awesome Lady Gaga. Can you inform me as a fellow fan of Bates Motel on what you know? Much appreciated 😀 THANKS SO MUCH. ✌ ~Syndee~

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Bates Motel is the best A&E series in years and number one in my opinion.

• lynn uhler says:

I love the bates hotel show it is the best of the best, best acting best drama and norma is beautiful

• Carolyn McCreary says:

I am so happy to know that there will be a 4 and 5 season…I absolutely LOVE this program. I am sure that I am only one of many millions that had a life changing experience when I say the movie so many years ago. What an experience..I have not gotten over it yet…lol..So thank you so much for bringing this series to all of us that love it. The writers are amazing and the actors are splendid…Can’t wait for it to start….

4. abz says:

Awesome news. Wish they’d add on a few more episodes each season. 10 episodes feels like so little and you can never get enough Vera Farmiga/Norma Bates.

5. PJK says:

Good news love Bates Motel!!!!

6. Zorkel says:

It’s funny, I actually predicted this the other day. I was wondering what the holdup on renewal was, and then I read an interview with the creators saying they saw season 3 as a turning point, and saw the shown lasting who more season. I figured they were negotiating a two season renewal after that.

7. Et al says:

Fantastic news!

8. Danny says:

I love the 10-episode seasons. No fillers, and it keeps you wanting more.

9. Yolanda says:

Great news. I know that we already know how the shows ends with Norman killing Norma and becoming Norma. But wouldn’t it be nice if they shocked us with something different than movie version? I would love to see something like Norma killing Norman in the end. That would be awesome and absolutely shocking. And would devaste her beyond words. Not every movie turned TV show has to end the same as the movie did. So dear writers, do something different for a change!

10. Matt C. says:

Finally! I knew another season was inevitable, but it’s still refreshing that they finally made it official. I wonder if season 5 will be the final season, as the creators intended? I’d rather have them go out on top, creatively, than have them drag it out, like many shows seem to do…

11. Diz says:

Good news. I hope they end it properly.

12. yurie says:

Season 3 was too slow and plodding. I hope it ends at season 5. Nothing worse than having a show drag on while having nothing to say.

13. That Dylan/Emma kiss makes this WAY more exciting news.

14. Sabrina says:

Great news. I can’t wait for new episodes.

15. Angela says:

YES! I was just expecting news about season 4, but knowing season 5 is a go as well makes this news that much better :D! So happy about this.

16. AddieM says:

I really needed this good news!

17. RealityBites says:

Excellent news, season 3 completely rocked and moved the storyline forward in some really interesting ways. Personally, I like having few episodes, in a way you actually get more story.Can’t wait to see how it all wraps up. (well, we know how it ends! But how they get there will be interesting)

18. andrea says:

I’m totally pissed about the returned!

19. Liam says:

Thank you A&E. Now this is how you do it. You put a show on the air that people are interested and invested in. Then you give the creators what they say they need to make the show complete… a plan that consists of 5 seasons. Today, you gave us that. Also a huge Thank you to Kerry Ehrin and Carlton Cuse for not giving up mentioning their 5 season plan every chance they got.

20. Linda says:

I have waited so long to hear that Bates is coming back!!!! This has got to be the most exciting show yet. Always has you wanting more. Don’t know what I’d do if it was completely gone. There are so many ways you could go on that to extend the seasons. Doesn’t always have to end the way it’s supposed too. You could go into Norman getting mad at people in the institution killing them and getting out and being on the loose. Remember the psycho movie where Norman was married and planning to kill his wife cause she got pregnant? Not overly exciting but there’s lots of ways that can go. Creators that can come up with what they have I know can put those amazing minds to work and come up with more seasons of chair clenching excitement. Bravo!!!!!!

21. Allison says:

We love Bates motel!!! So sad it takes so long to come back!! So sad !! Love it just wish it would come back sooner #soaddicted

22. Steven says:

Haven’t finished season 3 yet, but I’m so happy to hear that we’ll get the ending the producer’s planned!

23. Anthony says:

Awesome… When it ends I’d love to see them remake Psycho with Freddie HIghmore.

24. I really want more than 5 seasons to air. Why can’t we see more seasons ? This is the best show on television.

25. Miranda says:

AWESOME news! This show keeps getting better – and Vera Farmiga needs that Emmy asap. What a performance this season!

26. Great news for all the fans.

27. Brian Holmes says:

great news! Love it!

28. Maryjane walker says:

I’ve been watching bates motel since it first started I’ve never missed any episode of it.I love bates motel I’m looking forward to it coming back for the fourth season!!!!!

29. vera farmiga fan 01 says:

Hopefully the violence isn’t so bad in this next season coming is nothing like the one in the finale it was very disturbing I am all for drama suspense and a little violence its expected in Bates motel since its based on Norman/norma killing women may I add slutty or pretty woman some decent some not it was a surpring and shocking season I just hope this season is as good as the last what is the exact date of the show in 2016?

30. Bates motel is such an addicting series. Leaves viewers waiting all week to see what Norman is going to do next. But to wait a year is cruel!! Why!??

31. Jamie graham says:

I love this show (bates motel) but when does it come back on all my other fall /winter shows r stating to air again ….but I havnt see or heard anything about when the show will be back on can someone please tell me when it will be back on please

32. Kranik says:

Awesome! Best show I have watched in years. Thank you for renewing!

33. Ena says:

When will Mad Men return?

34. Deb says:

THE RETURNED HAS BEEN RENEWED.

35. Dawn says:

Give us more Bates Motel A&E! Best series ever, but need more of it. Can someone also tell me when the next episode “2016” begin?

36. linda liberty says:

Our family loves Bates Motel, we talk about it at work. It is a mysterious, fun series. The psychological struggles are so entertaining and interesting. We hope this series lasts for many years.

37. Michelle Bone says:

I can’t wait for Bates Motel comes back. My favorite show so far. I hope it’s on for alot of years after. My fav. Is Norma. Have to love Norman to. You never know what he’s gonna do next.

38. Lesley says:

Yeah!! so glad can’t wait for more!!! It is an addictive show like a roller coaster ride of intriguing & a bit crazy ,Very, compelling characters; that you cant help worry about ;,love & have compassion for them. Norma such a caring mom ,Norman seems so nice and so does his brother and Emma. Really fascinating characters We really wish it would work out well for them.,, but ???

39. lynn uhler says:

yay cant wait for new season hurry up please….best show ever

40. That is GREAT NEWS!! This is one of my favorite shows. I wish it could stay on forever.

41. I LOVE this show. I wish it could last much longer than 5 seasons, and not take such long breaks inbetween each season.

42. Lisa Probst says:

Awwweeeee me and my hubby DO NOT want the Series to end. Especially me lol. It’s the one and only scripted show that my hubby actually likes and watches with me. We like and watch a lot of reality shows ie) Gold Rush etc together, but I love me some scripted shows to and like I said we absolutely LOVE Bates Motel. Please, I hope it does not end after season 5!!!!!!

43. Syndee says:

Ok, I’m confused. . . .when the heck does the next season which would be season 4 (I think!?) They make it impossible to follow when they keep changing everything. But what an amazing series. I DO NOT WANT TO MISS ANY OF IT! PLEASE HELP? When is Bates Motel starting again? Today is November 21st, 2015. I can’t miss an episode despite the repeats I could record on dvr. I want to see it all as it pays out. LOVE THIS SHOW! ~Syndee

44. Anyone would want to spend the night at Bate’s motel, you should give that some thought!!

45. Janna Naylor says:

I <3 Norman!!!! Freddy is the man!!!;)

46. Jack Reeves says:

Get Bates motle Back on, its no more graphic than want is all res dy on the air, and for
    these comedian show there no more funny then a dyeing dog, there is few, but that’s all, get with it , these reality show faults show that lying to people , where are the value in that. This country is becoming one big lie.

47. Lana says:

When!? What month?! I don’t want to miss it. The fact of not knowing is driving me bonkers!

48. Susan Rivera says:

Can you be more specific as when the Bates Motel will resume showing as my husband and I are avid watchers?