Shadowhunters Casts Degrassi Actress as Vampire Leader Camille Belcourt

Shadowhunters Camille Belcourt

ABC Family’s Shadowhunters has added another pair of fangs to its cast.

The network announced on Friday that Kaitlyn Leeb (Degrassi) will play Camille Belcourt, the leader of the New York vampire clan.

Based on Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments book series, Shadowhunters — set to premiere sometime in 2016 — follows Clary Fray (Katherine McNamara), who discovers on her 18th birthday that she’s a Shadowhunter, a human-angel hybrid destined to battle the forces of evil.

In addition to Leeb and McNamara, Shadowhunters stars Dominic Sherwood (as Jace); Emeraude Toubia (as Isabelle); Alberto Rosende (as Simon); Matthew Daddario as (Alec); Maxim Roy (as Jocelyn); Isaiah Mustafa (as Luke); Harry Shum, Jr. (as Magnus); Alan Van Sprang (as Valentine); and Jon Cor (as Hodge).

As you can see, there’s been a ton of Shadowhunters news released over the past few months, but don’t worry if you’ve fallen behind; TVLine has a handy guide to all the key players in ABC Family’s next hit series.

Your thoughts on Leeb’s casting? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Mel says:

I don’t recognize her? Who did she play on degrassi?

2. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

Are there any adults in this world? This is about the 20th blandly goodlooking 25 year old casting. Isn’t there a high council or an ancient one? I need to know that this show has several generations of good, evil and regular characters.

• Mae says:

This character is supposed to be a centuries old vampire who has the appearance of an older woman. There are older shadowhunters and downworlders, but if they even remotely follow the books it’ll be mostly centered on 25 and under.

• uk-usa-tvaddict says:

Thanks for your response. I have clearly been spoiled by 100, The Flash and even Arrow that has parents and other adults who look like adults and have jobs. Even Bitten (that crappy supernatural show) has people who look 35-50 although they might be older.

• On the first book we only see the parents as the older ones but Magnus and Raphael are supposed to be 400 years old and 70 years old. They are adults in age but they look like teenagers .

• uk-usa-tvaddict says:

Thanks for your response. I really want to like this show as I am in need of a new good supernatural show that shows me a different world with new strange rules and characters that I am going to meet. But I am really worried that the show is going to be about Love Triangles and saving the world is an after thought.

• wgsecretary says:

The show is based on the book series The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. It is a young adult series, so there are, of course, some romantic entanglements. But, the mythology was different than other books and shows that I’ve come across. In the books at least, the main issues do not take a backseat to the romance. It’s there, but the central conflicts are also addressed. You should check out the books too. There is The Mortal Instrument series, which begins with The City of Bones and seems to be the main basis for the show. But, there is also a prequel trilogy called The Infernal Devices, which is set in Victorian London and begins with Clockwork Angel. The author recommends you read the books in the publication order as some characters in The Mortal Instruments are descendants of those in The Infernal Devices. Plus, it is a supernatural series, so some of the same characters appear in both series. She recommends the first three books in The Mortal Instruments, then the first in the Infernal Devices, and then alternating back and forth.. There are some interesting little tidbits that have more meaning if you read them in that order. If you do, you’ll end with the 6th and final book in The Mortal Instrument series. There are also two sets of short stories and a new series, The Dark Artifices, is coming next year. I really enjoyed the series and how the characters and story progressed. If you’re really looking for some new supernatural material, and also like to read, I’d recommend the books as well as the show, when it comes along.

• Lauren says:

Maybe because Magnus stopped aging at 19?

3. Mae says:

Yeah, because she totally looks like a older, silver-haired, extremely pale vampire. I get that this is a show and they’re going to differ from the books, but it’s like they’re not even trying with this casting.

4. Bobthereviewer says:

I would say she might be more recognize by her role in Total Recall(2012).

5. They really are jumping into the diversity wagon. It’s like they read a post on tumblr where everyone is POC. Not bad (she is georgeous, i can look her in the part ) but for once i was imagnining someone totally diferent.

6. Samantha Holder says:

I will admit, the movie was bad but I still love it. It would have been a lot better if you made it into a tv series. For example Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, along with many others. I know that they have already found characters for the new tv series but I would have stuck with everyone from the movie. When I read the book/books, I imagine the characters from the movie as the people in the book. Lily Collins should play Clarissa Fray not the new girl. Jase should have stayed the same and you should definitely not change luke or any of the other main characters. It’s not right, it dosent feel right. I don’t want to see new people playing the parts of our favorite characters that we have already planted in our minds. The fact that they have changed the characters is disappointing. When I read the books I imagined the people from the movie and I’m going to continue that because it dosent feel right. It does NOT feel right to change them. They are here to stay. I don’t care for the new cast at all and I probably won’t ever. This is my perspective on what feels right. And for who are going to forever be the REAL Shadowhunters

7. Vicky says:

I am having a hard time accepting her as Camille. BECAUSE SHE IS NOT. I MEAN COME ON COULDNT YOU EVEN CAST A WHITE GIRL? SHE COULD DYE HER HAIR THEN! BUT NO YO HAVE SELECTED THE ONE WITH DARK SKIN BLACK HAIR AND BROWN EYES LIKE THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF CAMILLE WHO HAS GREEN EYES BLONDE HAIR AND PALE SKIN
    I get it, not every character could be perfect, but this is WAY OFF

8. Don Olson says:

Couldn’t be a better pick for Camille than Kaitlyn she is absolutely beautiful and very talented

9. Ally Oop says:

She’s much better known for her role as vet student Cassandra on Heartland.

10. Ash says:

With every new casting for this beloved book series of mine turned tv show I find myself wanting to throw myself into a firey pit

11. Randall says:

Horrible characterization of Camille. I have not read the books, but I found her acting overwrought and not believable. She needs a stronger director. I have never found the need to complain, but I literally had to turn my TV on pause, I couldn’t watch her anymore.