Degrassi Finds New Home on Netflix, and Another New Title

Degrassi Moves to Netflix

School will remain in session, as the Degrassi kids relocate to a new “home.”

Just days after word broke that the long-running, ever-evolving coming-of-age series would be ending its run on TeenNick on July 31, producer DHX Media Ltd. has announced that 20 new episodes of Degrassi: Next Class (as it will now be called) will debut on Netflix and Family Channel in 2016.

According to EW.com, characters continuing on with Next Class include Deon “Tiny” Bell, Frankie, Grace, Hunter, Jonah, Lola, Maya, Miles, Shay, Tristan, Winston, Zig and Zoe — any or none of whom may be featured in the photo I randomly grabbed above. (I just liked the fact that the girls were ostensibly watching their own show stream on Netflix.)

What, my childhood crush Caitlin isn’t with the show anymore?? Does The Zit Remedy still book gigs? “Everybody wants something, they’ll never give up…..”

Per a press release, Degrassi: Next Class promises a “pull-no-punches” look at “Generation Z… teens as they begin their journey into adulthood. Pushing their own limits and testing the bonds of family and friends, the students each find their own way to deal with a range of issues: from homophobia, racism, substance abuse and violence to burgeoning sexuality, body issues, heartbreak and the complications of dating in the social media age.”

Are you glad to see Degrassi continue on?

1. Infinite says:

YAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Will they also be getting the whole series?

• Tyler Morton says:

Oh, I hope so! When I heard it was canceled, I considered buying the seasons, but it would be great if I didn’t have to.

• steven says:

They are all available and free to watch on youtube and several other spots on the web. Being partially publicly funded they have also always been freely available on CBC website (if ur in Canada)

3. Mr. Sunshine says:

i second that YAAAYYYYY!! :-) When they announced it was coming to an end, I kept thinking what will I do without my Degrassi teen angst fix. ;-)

4. KN says:

Exciting! I haven’t watched since Emma, Manny, Paige and the old gang left. But I’ll watch the new Netflix series. Easy to binge.

5. David4 says:

It lives!

The name change isn’t needed though but whatever.

6. Hazel Grace Lancaster says:

I’ve seen every episode since degrading junior high I’m glad they’ve got a new season and new title but I really hope they don’t finish it with “next class” I really hope they keep it going generation after generation they should do ty (David) and clare and Elia baby at degrassi like they did with Emma and they should have Emma’s little brother and they should do a reunion of degrassi hug and junior high along with the first few season of next generation Emma and spinner Sean Paige Toby Liberty Jimmy Marco Ellie Ashley Craig manny jay they should do a reunion for characters from all seasons

7. Riana says:

This is not a Netflix series. It’s a family channel series that Netflix will be airing. Likely there’ll be an episode a week like with between

8. Et al says:

Not a fan of the new title. I would have gone with ‘Degrassi – Deep Space Nine’.

9. GraceM says:

Nope. The show should have been canceled awhile ago. Not the sane as it used to be.

10. Now, will this be the same series (season 15) or technically a new series (D:TNC season 1)?

11. "A" Has Awaken says:

I told you guys the show was NEVER cancelled. DHX Media was the one to pull it off both Networks. Their license with Disney (for Family Channel) was ending so they needed more content on the channel. Please do your research next time guys. Many fans were confused when all of those misleading articles were written. They’ve had their new homes secured for some time now and that’s why season 15 was going into production no matter what.

12. Phillip says:

I really hope they bring the entire series to Netflix. I’d love to re-watch the earlier seasons. I miss them.

13. aph1976 says:

I think that’s great news for us the fans of Degrassi.

14. BrightLight says:

I REALLLLLLY hope this means they’ll get the entire series on streaming now. Mainly because I want to rewatch the first TNG gang. (Come back to me, Manny Santos!) It’s one of the first shows I looked for when I got Netflix streaming and was actually shocked it wasn’t there.

15. I have always wanted to watch it.

16. Anna says:

I haven’t watched Degrassi in years, but I always appreciated the way they handled topics that other TV shows wouldn’t touch. Glad to see this gem in youth programming is still around for the next generation.

17. LL624 says:

If one day they bring back Emma, Manny, Spinner, etc as adults like they did with Snake, Joey, and Spike, I’ll care about Degrassi again (if the show continues on long enough for that).

18. Zara Hammett says:

I have a question… normally it takes a little while for the shows to be put on Netflix after they are aired on TV… will this be the same for degrassi: next class or will the shows come immediately? just wondering. IM SO HAPPY THEYRE MAKIG A NEW SEASON!!

19. suzanne says:

Are they still gonna talk about dark sh** or will this be like rated G like Zoe is gonna be on it will she be able to talk about her rape or such or will it just be I stole $5 dollars from my mom whole episode on that like is it gonna be rated G I think ABC spark should have bought it

20. Taylor says:

Degrassi is ruined, 7 year olds watch family channel, they’re gonna dumb it down so much

21. Tyler says:

I Love degrassi, I’m so glad it’s not over.

22. Lora says:

I can’t wait for Degrassi Next Class to come on Netflix. Do you know what the actual date of its premiere is?