Ratings: Tony Awards Hit an All-Time Low, While NBA Finals Surge vs. 2014

Tony Awards Ratings Low

CBS’ broadcast of the Tony Awards on Sunday night drew 6.9 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, down 9 and 25 percent year over year and hitting an all-time low in the demo.

The kudoscast’s previous demo low (1.0) was set in 2012, during Neil Patrick Harris’ third turn as host (and with no NBA Finals in the mix)

Airing opposite the Tonys, ABC’s coverage of the NBA Finals did 18.8 million and a 7.3 (per finals), up 25 percent from last year’s Game 2 match-up.

Versus Thursday’s Game 1, Cavs/Warriors was up 6 percent.

Elsewhere: NBC’s A.D. (4 mil/0.7) and American Odyssey (2.6 mil/0.4) both dipped, as did Fox’s Golan the Insatiable (1.2 mil/0.4).

1. Julia says:

Coming from someone that lives in the Midwest and never has an opportunity to travel and see the shows nominated for the Tonys, I never watch this awards show because I don’t have any knowledge or vested interest in the nominees. I know the performances are excellent throughout the show, but it isn’t appointment viewing for most people that don’t live in the NY area or visited to see the shows.

• RealityBites says:

You don’t need to live in or travel to New York to see live theater. With few exceptions, even the most podunk town has or is near a city that gets a touring company productions and probably even has a local theater for drama. To think you have to live in New York is just an excuse, theater is near you. I learn what shows I want to see (or avoid) in my area (which is certainly NOT near any major city) by watching the Tonys.

That said, this years Tonys was a pitiful production, it was like they were trying to emulate all the worst qualities of dreck like the Emmy awards. The only gag missing was a whoopee cushion and a bottle of seltzer water. On the upside, they made you appreciate good hosts like NPH or HJ all the more.

• Nan says:

Not with the Broadway casts, so what’s the point of watching this show?

• Butters says:

I live in a major US City and agree with Julia. I think you were a little harsh on her when you really did not need to be. The truth of the matter is people don’t really know who most of the people are who are nominated so they don’t watch. And the shows that are nominated are in NYC and not touring in other major cities at the time of the telecast.

• JB says:

Yes, small towns get touring companies, but usually at least a year after the shows are on Broadway and are in contention for Tonys.

• dlraetz says:

I work in NYC and I don’t go see the shows because most of them are incredibly expensive and spending $300 for a few hours doesn’t seem worth it so my interest in the Tonys in minimal at best. Add in that I find both hosts annoying and unfunny and I’m not surprised that interest in the show is minimal

• Nan says:

I agree 50% with you about the hosts. In some vehicles [Burlesque] i find Alan Cummings charming. But Kristin Chenoweth is in a class with Amy Poehler and Tina Fey = insufferable.

2. BrightLight says:

I live in the Southeast and have never traveled to NYC (or farther north than the one time I went to DC about 12 years ago) and probably never will but I watch the Tony Awards every year. It probably has something to do with not having cable as a child and having to watch PBS shows like “American Playhouse” and “Great Performances” for entertainment. Or the fact that by watching those shows I figured out I loved musicals and my mom hated them and that was my act of rebellion. LOL
    That being said, I can completely understand why many people don’t watch it. Much like how I never watch the Grammys or MTV Music Awards. Everyone has their own tastes and that’s what different musical genres are for. :) For me, I’ve always used musical cast recordings as an escape from what’s happening in my own life.

• Tammy says:

This is why I always watch. I love musicals. I grew up watching musicals (movies) on TBS when cable first came to our town. When I was in HS, my mom drove us into the city to see the touring companies that came through. I was in my 30’s before I ever saw a show in NYC. Now we live in another small town and what they call a city near us only gets a touring company for one night…. not a whole week like when I was in HS….. and the level of performance is not very high. Most have credits like local theather or summers somewhere. The best was when American Idiot came through and the old lady next me was so upset over the profanity she left before intermission! In fact a few people left but I wrote my local theater to thank them for bringing diversity in case some of these people complained. I wanted them to know not everyone was upset. It doesn’t matter where or if you ever see a broadway show…. the Tony Awards brings the best right into your living room one night a year. (My husband followed the NBA game on his laptop…. thank you dear!)

3. LT says:

Two words: Wrong Hosts!

• dlraetz says:

Absolutely right

• Rebecca says:

Agreed. They were boring and unfunny. I missed NPH loads. And WHY WAS THERE NO OPENING MUSICAL NUMBER? This is the Tony’s. You can’t host the Tony’s and not have an opening number with the hosts. NPH’s were always showstoppers.

4. Lynne says:

Basically living as far from Broadway as one could in the continental US, I’ll never be lucky enough to experience the magic of The Great White Way aside from the touring productions and have watched the Tonys for as long as I could remember, last night was a bit of a dud. I love Kristen and Alan to death, but they just didn’t seem to click for me. That’s the problem with having co-hosts, if they don’t connect, then it just kills the whole thing. I’m sure if it was just one of them, it would’ve been great, but that just didn’t happen. Hopefully we can get NPH back next year, there’s a reason he a multiyear host!!!

5. Michelle says:

I think Kristen Chenoweth is one of the most underrated comedic actresses… Her timing is amazing. Alan Cummings was wonderful as well. It’s the reality of the times… People just don’t appreciate theater. Last season was, however, the best attended in history, so maybe we’re making a comeback!

The hosts were amazing though… They definitely kept the show going and entertaining! It was like being at a show within a show.

• S. says:

I just want them to do Pushing Daisies: The Musical, and get Kristin in it. If your name is above the title on a Broadway show they typically put you in the lead category at the Tonys and hers would be. You know Olive would have some nice numbers. What do we have to do to get Ellen Greene is the question. The cast loves that show so much, I think they’d all do it.

6. Mary W says:

Low viewership. That’s because awards shows are all bought and paid for. People that actually watch the actors and shows don’t get to vote. It’s actors voting for actors or you have to be a member of this or that. Really, if it’s not voted by the regular people, I just don’t watch. The most laughable one is the Golden Globes, only just over 90 members get to vote and they all have an agenda. As for the Teen Choice that’s also rigged, they choose the winners 1 week before the polls even close. Winners have admitted that they were told in advance before polls closed that they had won. Don’t believe me, it’s all over the net. Can’t believe the naivety that still exists in the public regarding these shows

7. Even though the Tony’s don’t get big numbers, it is certainly the most entertaining of all the award shows. I must admit that the co-hosts were a bit over the top,but they kept the show moving at a fast pace. The production numbers were outstanding and the opening number was a 10. My wife and I have always been big fans of the theater, primarily the musicals, and we especially enjoy the revivals. That just shows how old we are getting.

8. Boiler says:

Guessing people getting sick of award shows even though this was a “big”. Plus Pee Wee Herman??? Give me a break

9. Ronnie says:

Of course the ratings are lower against an big overtime NBA game. Besides, those that don’t annually watch the Tony’s need a big star to peak their interest. Chenowith and Cummings are well known to the theatre crowd but not the general public. They were good hosts but you need a big recognizable TV or movie star name to get others to watch.

10. danoregon says:

The best hope for The Tonys? That the Frozen musical hits big. No huge musicals this year and a compelling NBA finals, not a shock.

11. Reblogged this on Reading Other People and commented:
    Well this is what happens when you have two hosts who are inherently unlikable and with a penchant for crude humour. Woah – that sounded harsh, didn’t it?