TVLine Items: Blythe Danner in Madoff, Earlier Chasing Life Premiere and More

Blythe Danner Madoff

It’s all about the Benjamins for Blythe Danner — or so her next role would have us believe.

The actress has been cast in Madoff, ABC’s upcoming miniseries about disgraced financier Bernie Madoff.

Starring Richard Dreyfuss as the titular former stockbroker, the drama project — which is inspired by Brian Ross’ book The Madoff Chronicles — will examine Madoff’s rise and fall, leading to his 150-year prison sentence in 2009 for operating a $65 billion Ponzi scheme.

Danner will play Ruth Madoff, Bernie’s wife and former director of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities.

The actress joins a cast that includes Frank Whaley (Ray Donovan), Erin Cummings (Pan Am) and Tom Lipinski (Suits). Danner’s recent TV credits include The Slap and Up All Night.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Chasing Life‘s Season 2 premiere date — originally set for Aug. 17 — has been moved up to Monday, July 6, at 10/9c, series star Italia Ricci revealed on Instagram Friday.

* Showtime’s upcoming over-the-Internet streaming service has added Roku and the PlayStation Vue as hubs; it launches July 12.

* Comedy Central has renewed This Is Not Happening — its Ari Shaffir-hosted storytelling series — for Season 2. The project, which features stand-up comics telling stories in front of a live audience, will unveil eight new episodes next year.

* The iHeartRadio Music Awards, which previously aired on NBC, will move to Turner cable networks next April, with a simulcast airing live on TBS, TNT and truTV.

* MTV has unveiled a new trailer for Scream, now featuring the spooky masked killer who will terrorize the teens of Lakewood. Press PLAY below for another sneak peek at the series, which debuts Tuesday, June 30, at 10/9c.

1. LK says:

I liked the original film… not sure about this series though.

2. iHeart says:

really? CL is being moved up a month I wonder why… hmm oh wait a minute, ABC spark (which is ABC family Canada) is currently airing episodes of the half hour Drama Open Heart and they are airing two episodes in a one hour block. well this will be good news for my mom she loves this show

• Florian says:

I’ve read on another website it’s because they didn’t want most of Chasing Life’s new episodes to air against the new season of Jane the Virgin since they target the same demo.

• iHeart says:

what? you mean season 2 of JtV is starting early? unheard of especially on the CW

• florianques says:

Well I read it somewhere. But no, I think Jane will probably be starting around the end of september and if Chasing Life had actually begun its sophomore season Aug. 17, then half its season would have been up against JtV. Again, I don’t know if any of it is actually true.

3. CJ says:

Chasing Life will air at 10 pm? I could be totally wrong but isn’t that a fairly atypical time slot for ABC Family? I thought they only aired first-runs of dramas at 8 and 9 pm and re-runs during the 10 o’clock hour.

4. kate says:

um Chasing Life you should not be up against the end of the first half of Teen Wolf.

5. Joey Padron says:

Glad Chasing Life’s new season will start earlier. Hope the show will do well at 10 pm.

6. jason says:

I know it’s my problem. I care about gender love and all, but I am just tired of watching every show have its lesbian or gay agenda. It’s like a show can’t just exist without teenage girls making out with one another. Or guys for that matter. I could care less about anyone making out. “Hooking up” is the standard phrase now for shagging. And it’s just getting old already.