Exclusive

Killjoys: Watch the Twisty First 4-1/2 Minutes of Syfy's New Space Drama

Loading video...

Syfy is ready to sic its Killjoys on the universe, and TVLine has your first look at the series premiere’s first four-plus minutes.

From Orphan Black‘s Temple Street Productions and Lost Girl creator Michelle Lovretta, Killjoys — premiering Friday, June 19 at 9/8c on Syfy as well as Canada’s Space — follows three interplanetary bounty hunters (or “Killjoys”) as they chase deadly fugitives throughout the Quad, a distant planetary system on the brink of a bloody class war.

Hannah John-Kamen (The Hour) stars as Dutch, a top-level Killjoy hiding a deep solemnity resulting from a dark, secret past; Aaron Ashmore (Warehouse 13, Smallville) plays John Jaqobis, a Level 3 Killjoy who, despite his profession, always prefers to wield his sarcastic wit; and Luke Macfarlane (Brothers & Sisters) fills the role of D’avin Jaqobis, a former soldier whose expertise in tactics and hand-to-hand combat make him an instant asset to the team.

In the series’ cold open above, John looks to be in a bad way, held captive and tortured for intel on the location of a bounty’s ship, until Dutch (sorta?) comes to his (possible?) rescue.

Watch the sneak peek and then tell us: Might Killjoys be your new sci-fi joy?

1. Nick says:

Looks fun to me!!

2. Wordsmith says:

It’s got a slick look and a fun energy to it. Feels a bit like Firefly remade on a Canadian TV budget, which could be entertaining or could be tragically disappointing.

3. Sarah says:

Looks great!

4. wrstlgirl says:

Looking forward to it and the return of Defiance!!!!

5. Katherine215 says:

Already on the DVR! Syfy has done a pretty good job with their summer shows – Defiance, Dominion, Alphas (though I’ll never forgive them for cancelling that show!!). Hope this one is just as good.

• bj says:

It’s already on mine too. I usually give all new Canadian shows a look and this one looks like it won’t disappoint.

• LynnH says:

I can’t believe SyFy left poor Gary alone in that Subway station surrounded by his “dead” friends. Alphas deserved much better.

6. James D says:

um more please :) looks really good but I’m a sucker for that kind of space operay sci-fi and add Aaron Ashmore into the mix and I’m sold. Can’t wait.

7. Skyfan says:

Looks VERY Firefly-ish! Can’t wait to see more and if there is wit in this ‘verse too!

8. murley says:

It’s a summer show and it has Aaron Ashmore. That’s enough to get me to check it out!

9. Drewer says:

Oh I’m glad that with The Following just ending I’m glad an Ashmore will be back on TV.

10. meatwad says:

looks like a good one, will definitely be checking it out

11. The Watcher says:

I’m sufficiently intrigued. It has a very Firefly meets Guardians of the Galaxy feel, but I’m hoping the cleverness of the setup doesn’t belie the level of eventual world building.

12. Sheldon W. says:

Great fun!

13. Lizo says:

Thanks tvline for including the note about it airing on Space in Canada; appreciate the inclusion

14. David P. Graf says:

There is so much good material out there in sci-fi and all we get is another derivative bang-bang boom-boom show. How depressing.

15. KMG says:

Looks like fun.. Like other posters, I got a bit of a Firefly vibe from it as well. Personally, I’ve been kind of ticked at SyFy for a while. I liked Alphas at first, but it quickly just turned into “X-men Lite”, and Defiance was horribly boring. Gave up after the first season (which was tough to slog through). KillJoys looks like it has potential, though.

16. omnikey1 says:

I don’t think so . I have already given Syfy too much attention with watching Haven and Bitten . Syfy only keeps their shows around for 5 years if you are lucky… Pretty sure Haven is over by the end of this year .Don’t want to start a new show knowing that it will most likely be over in a couple of years . :(