Ben 10 Gets Cartoon Network Reboot

Ben 10 Cartoon NetworkCartoon Network is rebooting Ben 10 — the animated tale of an alien-empowered pre-teen — for “a new generation of kids,” it was announced on Monday.

The original Ben 10 series ran from December 2005 to April 2008 and spawned three additional animated series (Ben 10 Alien Force, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, Ben 10: Omniverse), one animated TV-movie (Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix), and two live-action TV-movies (Ben 10: Race Against Time, Ben 10: Alien Swarm).

Cartoon Network’s fresh take on Ben 10 will again follow 10-year-old Ben Tennyson as he, his cousin Gwen and Grandpa Max travel the country during summer vacation. During their travels, Ben finds the mysterious Omnitrix, wearable tech that opens up to him a world of alien superpowers.

“We decided it was time to introduce Ben to a new generation of kids,” Cartoon Network CCO Rob Sorcher said in a statement. “[W]e know kids around the world will be eager to see the reinvention of this beloved character.”

Man of Action will executive produce Ben 10 for Cartoon Network Studios, to premiere on Cartoon Network’s international channels in the fall of 2016 and roll out here in North America in 2017. John Fang (Mixels, Generator Rex) is on board as supervising producer.

1. Gary says:

I am kinda peeved Ben 10 has had many chances ,even thought Omniverse was disastrous, and yet Generator Rex and Young Justice were treated so badly. Cartoon Network has seem to forget what quality programming looked like. That being said i’m glad the show is coming back to it’s roots when it was entertaining.

• Patrick says:

All CN cares about, and they have flat out stated this, is merchandising tie ins. In other words, does it sell toys. And Ben 10 was a toy bonanza that made everyone rich beyond their wildest dreams.
      Generator Rex didn’t do that, and I would further argue that the plot lost any semblance of cohesion well before it finally petered out. The last year was just non-sense. Young Justice was fantastic, but DC was trying to do something else, and YJ just didn’t fit in with their long term corporate strategy.
      Long post summed up, CN likes shows that appeal to kids AND sell toys, or it likes shows that appeal to stoners watching the channel in the middle to late after noon. They don’t care about sober adults with mature tastes who aren’t going to buy toys. It sucks, but it is what it is.

2. Zorkel says:

Is it really a “new generation of children” this is being rebooted for, when its most recent series debuted only a few years ago, and just ended within the past year or so? While I’m glad to see the franchise continue, it hardly seems like as big a deal as Cartoon Network wants it to seek like.

3. Marc says:

A reboot already? The latest series only went off air in November.

4. Erika says:

Am I the only one who miss old Cartoon Network?As for Ben 10 reboot,I don’t know how I feel about this.I remember watching original Ben 10 when I was a kid.I miss old days.

5. AngelWasHere says:

I use to love Ben 10!!! Is that how he looks now? I’m not liking the new look so much. I don’t get why they’re rebooting it so soon either. The “new generation” is not that new. They should reboot Dexter’s laboratory. :P

6. Oh my god, really? Why not Ben 10,000 which I been waiting forever. I’ll watch it but not psyched about it.

7. Diz says:

I’m still waiting on a reboot for Reboot.

• Marc Klein says:

Reboot IS getting a reboot… but actually a continuation! It takes place after the original series with guest appearances from a majority of the original cast, though focused mainly on new characters!

8. iHeart says:

why don’t they just air reruns of the show instead? the new generation won’t notice the difference

9. Davone says:

What is with all these movies and tv shows nowadays feeling they have to reboot things to reach a “new generation”. It makes no sense to me.

10. Sheldon W. says:

So, does put the kibosh on the live-action theatrical movie that had been mentioned in some of the Man of Action members’ interviews over the last year?

11. Marc Klein says:

This is just another example of Cartoon Network having fallen into disgrace. I used to live on this channel and now other than Toonami and the occasional Adult Swim, I stay far away from the kiddie pool. Ben 10 was a great series that was abused into an almost unrecognizable entity over time, but one that still had merit. I really hope CN stops with reboots and simply continues the best of the series it used to air with such vigor.

12. akash says:

i think instead of reboot CN should continue the adventure of ben-gwen-kevin and charecters should look lke they were in ben 10:alien force or ulmtimate aliens not like omniverse