Exclusive

American Crime Season 2 to Focus on Sexual Identity, Class Warfare

American Crime Ratings

Racial politics will take a backseat to issues involving class and sexuality when American Crime returns with its second season next year.

“[In Season 1] we dealt with race and faith; in Season 2 we want to deal a lot more with class,” exec producer John Ridley tells TVLine. “We want to deal with gender issues, sexual orientation and sexual identity.”

The acclaimed drama will also shift its setting from Northern California to “the midwest” and feature a different “inciting incident,” according to Ridley. (TVLine has learned that much of the Season 2 action is expected to take place at an elite prep school that boasts a disparate student body, including a gay basketball star.)

“It’s going to be a whole different set of circumstances,” adds Ridley. “We’re hoping that we can not only make it provocative, but humanize people as well. If there’s one thing that American Crime did very well, it took issues that are generally just a headline and put faces on them. I’m hoping we can do that in the second season.”

Season 1 regulars Timothy Hutton and Felicity Huffman will be back for Season 2, playing completely different characters. And if Ridley has his way, more Crime vets will join them. “We’re still trying to work out people’s schedules and work out deals,” he says, “[But] I would love to get as many of them back for the second season as I can.” (With reporting by Rebecca Iannucci)

1. Malik says:

Excited! I loved season one!

2. Denise Rambo says:

Did I miss something or did we not find out exactly who really DID commit the murder in Season One?

• Daven says:

I guess you missed this part of the article-

• BrightLight says:

No, it was never really revealed who the killer was. I think the point of the show was to show the aftermath of what happened because of the crime, not exactly who did it. Whether that happens in Season 2 also, only time will tell.
      I assumed it was Aubry because she knew way too many details while telling the cops everything at the psychiatric hospital. One could say that Carter could have told it to her, but she told the story so well that she would have had to rehearsed it many, many times to have gotten all those details right.
      I personally can’t wait for Season 2, I watched all of Season 1 in two days and am thinking of rewatching it again soon. It was definitely one of the best series of the 2014-15 TV season.

• Linda says:

Carter did. Aubrey took the rap. Russ killed Carter, then himself. Aubrey killed herself in jail. Think Romeo and Juliet…not very original after all.

• misery chick says:

No, I really don’t think they definitively revealed whether Carter or Aubrey was the murderer. I think it was Aubrey.

3. Reba42 says:

Ryan Murphy really has created a monster. AHS, American Crime, Fargo, True Detective… I mean, it’s really cool to see the actors in the first 2 change it up every season, but it makes it hard for me to want to return next year. I watched the first 8 years of GA because I was invested in the characters. (I gave up after Mark & Lexi died) Cool concept, but eventually, I’ll have no vested interest in any shows.

• Dennis says:

I don’t think Ryan Murphy has anything to do with this show… don’t get it confused with American Horror Story! Lol

• Ryan Murphy didn’t invent the anthology series, and he’s certainly not the first to use that sort of story telling.

• johnhelvete says:

I dont like Ryan Murphy and he did not invent the anthology series but I dont recall anyone doing a season long anthology series before AHS.

• matty says:

Anthology Series were rather common back in the 1970’s and 1980’s, but until American Horror Story there really hadn’t been one for decades. And even the one’s back in the 70’s typically told one story per episode. One example from the 1980’s was a show called “Arthur Hailey’s Hotel.”

• Tammy says:

I don’t think Ryan Murphy is behind True Detective or Fargo. BUT he is an executive producer on American Crime Story. FYI

4. matty says:

I didn’t much care for Season 1, but I’ll be tuning into season 2, if only for Timothy Hutton and Felicity Huffman and because of the subject matter discussed in this article.

• Tammy says:

I agree…… I thought this was a great show but the story was so depressing. We had a hard time making ourselves watch it. I love the actors so I would definitely check out Season 2 in hopes we connect better than season 1.

5. Lizo says:

I don’t know much about the writing staff on this show, but I hope they hire some non-men for next season.

• johnhelvete says:

I checked imdb. The show had 8 writers, 4 males including Ridley who created the show, 3 females and a writer named Sonay Hoffman (male? female?). The show had 9 directors for the 11 episodes, and 6 of the directors were female.

6. hud says:

John Ridley, self-aggrandizement, not lacking in your “vision”.

7. Jerry says:

Is Felicity Huffman going to play the complicated LGBT character like in Transamerica again? That would be worth watching.

8. kirads09 says:

I love Tim Hutton, but this show is too dark and moody for me. We see this subject matter played out in real life daily. So no thanks – Pass. Couldn’t get past the first couple episodes of S1.

9. Lucifer says:

I love how this crapfest never had an actual ending to the season 1 storyline and everyone still raves over it, but people flipped their collective s*** when The Killing simply ended on a cliffhanger for season 1 and got it cancelled.

• CIP says:

The identity of the killer was not the main focus of this show. I didn’t watch “The Killing” so I can’t comment on it.

• Lucifer says:

The Killing’s main focus was showing the process of a murder investigation with each episode being a single day. However, entitled viewers expected the first case to be solved within one season when the writer’s planned the story to spread over 2.

And honestly, starting a story with a gruesome murder and then the writer’s not caring enough to reveal who actually did it is bad storytelling. When writers say they didn’t do this or that because they wanted to make the story ambiguous, it means they’re lazy and didn’t feel like going in further. Will not be watching season 2 of AC as season 1 was a depressing snoozefest with no resolution and most seemed to only like it for the social issues it ‘explored.’

• mary says:

That’s because it wasn’t the point of the show. The point was the social issues.

• Lucifer says:

The social issues explored were not tackled with neutrality or even very well and it was clear the writers were doing this on purpose. If I wanted a bias and melodramatic look at social issues, I’d watch MSNBC or The Daily Show. Add that on top of shoddy writing, not a single character worth rooting for, and a lackluster conclusion, it was just bad all around. And before you say “you don’t have to have likeable characters to enjoy a story,” I know. But the problem is when none of the characters are even remotely likeable or redeemable, because it hurts the connection a viewer has for the story. Look at American Horror Story: Coven, not one likeable character and it’s currently the most disliked season of that hot mess of a show.

10. marquit williams says:

None

11. misery chick says:

Y’ALL KNOW HOW HAPPY I AM FOR…YOU GUESSED IT…

💕💕💕💕💕💕 TIMOTHY HUTTON 💕💕💕💕💕💕