Constantine Still Cancelled: Show Boss Says Rescue Efforts 'Didn't Pan Out'

Constantine Cancelled

Constantine remains cancelled, showrunner Daniel Cerone sadly reports, following futile attempts to find the DC Comics-based series a new home.

The outlook for the freshman drama looked Grimm grim when NBC elected just weeks after its sub-Dracula premiere not to order a full season. Come early May, Cerone confirmed that the show would not continue at the Peacock, but offered the ray of hope that Warner Bros. TV was shopping it to other potential suitors.

TVLine reported in February that rumors of Constantine moving to Syfy, possibly retitled Hellblazer, were untrue, while CW president Mark Pedowitz last month dismissed talk that the DC series would hang with Arrow, The Flash et al.

Cerone confirmed the series’ final fate — “the show is over” — in a message to fans, shared on Twitter Sunday afternoon:

I promised I’d share news when I had it — sadly, that news is not good. The cast and writers of Constantine are being released from their contracts. The studio tried to find a new home for the show, for which we’re forever grateful, but those efforts didn’t pan out. I’m sorry, I wasn’t provided any information on the attempts to sell the show elsewhere. All I can report is that the show is over.

Many ingredients went into this TV series. From the dedicated cast that breathed these characters to life, led by Matt Ryan as the comic-made-flesh embodiment of John Constantine, to the exceptionally talented crew that put unreal images on screen, to the original Hellblazer writers and artists who gifted us a universe.

As a general principle, writers don’t choose a writing career to achieve stardom. Whatever demons or insecurities drove them to find freedom of expression through written words generally keeps writers comfortably obscure behind their words. Nor do people choose writing as a means to financial freedom. I’d venture to guess that most who set out to write professionally never receive a paycheck for their hopeful scribbles or key strokes.

In fact, nobody I know ever chose a writing career — it chose them. You write because that’s what you do. Like breathing, it just happens and you have to do it and you just hope that someday somebody out there notices what you’re trying to say.

If that’s the dream of writers, than the writers of Constantine lived the dream, because we’re leaving behind wild and passionate fans who believe in and were moved by what we tried to do. To leave such a significant, dedicated and active fan base on the table — that’s the real sadness. You all deserve many years of the series we set out to make, and we’re disappointed that we couldn’t deliver that to you. The good news is that Constantine will live on for years in many more forms. But our time as caretakers has ended.

Thank you for letting us in.

Daniel Cerone

1. AddieM says:

oh well…RIP Constantine

2. Maybe there is something about the concept that just doesn’t click with audiences and that is why it failed both as a movie and a TV series. I for one liked both, and didn’t care whether the character was blonde and British or had dark hair and was an American. Then again, I never read the comic, so I’m more objective/indifferent than those who are closer to the source material.

• Cheeky says:

Agreed! I enjoyed both because I find something exciting about the Angels & Demons concept, but I guess it just didn’t click with the majority :/

• Indeed. Even then, that material has an equal difficulty making it on TV. Case in point, The Messengers and Sleepy Hollow, which, quality aside, are struggling.

• m3rcnate says:

Messengers is already cancelled. Interestingly enough what looks to be the most successful “Demons and Angels” show on TV is “Dominion” on SyFy, which got renewed for a second season. Obviously SH has more viewers but if this next season isn’t a return to form, it will get cancelled, and it doesn’t matter how many more viewers you have if your show is cancelled and the other (with a smaller viewership) show is renewed.

• Then again, network like NBC and cable like Syfy have different standards and expectations when it comes to ratings, which is why many believe Constantine as Hellblazer might have done better on Syfy than it did on NBC.

• kirads09 says:

Agreed. I really loved (being a Keanu fan anyway) the film, which made me want to see the series. :-( I am a little surprised CW or Netflix wouldn’t have grabbed it frankly. Hope we see Matt in much more – soon. Really love him.

• veniascott says:

I agree I am sad this show did not make it. Maybe NBC was the wrong network to adapt a comic book with a dark theme as this one. I love it it was different and I thought it was cool to see Male gost/demon buster. Matt ryan rocks and I do hope he is seen on tv again, he deserve to be on a good show. I am surprised that Syfy did not pick iit up because to be honest I don’t like to much of whats on ther now and this show would have been a great pic. I knew the CW woudl not pick up becsue they want to please teenager, so sad. Matt Ryan I llove you and hope to see you again .

3. Suzannefisher says:

So many shows are moved from one night to another to another, it seems so wrong to not give Constantine more of a chance! CBS seems like they cut shows quickly more than other networks. I’m afraid to start watching shows on this network for fear of getting invested and having it just shut down. Sorry to cast and production. You did a great job!

4. rinaex says:

In other news, water is still wet.

5. Important feedback. says:

It’s for the best. It wasn’t a bad show, but it was a pale shadow of what an adaptation of Hellblazer could be. The real Constantine is a real bastard with tons of vices, an expert at using people who frequently gets his friends killed trying to save his own skin. He’s a fascinating character and this show was never going to let him be entirely who he is. Nor was it going to properly show the toll all this stuff takes on a man’s soul. Hopefully the next adaptation attempt will be a more nuanced and gothic take that has nothing at all to do a broadcast network.

6. LynnH says:

So now this cool and fun show has effectively been cancelled twice. Very sorry to hear that it couldn’t find a new home. I enjoyed it a lot, and especially enjoyed Matt Ryan. I hope another show picks him up. Put Constantine on Legends of Tomorrow! His skills could come in very handy. I reaf that Stephen Amell wanted to do a crossover but the two networks wouldn’t bite.

7. Dragoness says:

I LOVED THIS SHOW AND CURRENTLY I AM AN EMOTIONAL WRECK BECAUSE I THOUGHT THIS WAS AN AMAZING SHOW THAT COULD BE A MODERN BUFFY (MINUS THE TEENS, ETC) AND A NEW SUPERNATURAL BUT NO. NO ONE SEES THE BEAUTY BEHIND THIS SERIES, NOR BEHIND THE COMICS ANYMORE ASDFGHJKL

8. dan wslden says:

Well said

9. DarkDefender says:

Disappointing. Constantine was actually a pretty good show.. itgot better each episode. I hope we see Matt Ryan again soon.

• DarkDefender says:

Matt Ryan needs to join Legends.. Put Ioan Gruffodd on OUAT (Merlin) and get McAussie (Simon Baker) over to Grey+Sloan STAT as a dark and twisty surgeon of anything.i mean ANYTHING as long as he ca use his natural accent.
      Then all will be right in my TV world.

10. Ian Barber says:

It’s too bad, I really liked the show. Matt Ryan really stood out as Constantine. Would love to see some of the characters appear on Arrow, Flash or Legends of Tomorrow some day.

11. A. D. says:

This sucks…can’t stand NBC!

12. DixonSteele1on1 says:

Except for Grimm, NBC is a loser on trying to come up with a good capture of supernatural intriguing drama mixed with humor! Never was a fan of Heroes; but The Cape had promise! Constantine was fun, but young a-holes who don’t know jack squat about real stuff make the worst a-hole decisions! And the rest of everyone suffers!

• gravatar2014 says:

A men i so agree. This was not a bad I guess it did not cathc on with the tween and teens and to me that is all NBC caters to these days.

13. javadude54 says:

I liked the pilot and thought it had a lot of potential but after they fired Lucy Griffiths it was just garbage. Good Riddance.

• Katherine215 says:

I found her to be the weakest link in the pilot, so I was not sorry to see her go. I liked Constantine’s relationship with Zed much better.

14. Shannon says:

Really disappointed with this piece of news. Constantine really found its feet within the last half of the season and the second season would have been even better. Sad days.

15. JAO says:

NOOOOOOO!!

16. Kiane says:

SyFy is owned by NBC, there was no way that an NBC-related network would grab the series. It would be akin to NBC renewing this show. This is why I don’t watch anything produced by NBC anymore. Ever since they terminated the showrunner for SMASH and canceled that show. NBC should not be producing any new TV shows since they cancel just about every decent show they have ever produced.

17. Paul says:

That’s a shame. The show had rough edges, but also had potential.

18. Nick says:

Matt Ryan was good, but it’s not like this was the highest quality program on TV.

• rinaex says:

Agreed. I found the first couple of episodes terrible, and even the finale wasn’t all that great. As you said, Matt Ryan did a pretty good job, but the rest of the show failed to deliver (way) more often than not.

19. Gary says:

I’m gonna help you out Mr. Cerone. Follow this 3 steps and i assure you the show will come back stronger than ever.

1-Keep the name Hellblazer. That is its name and anything else will be an insult to the fans.
    2-This show needs to be in a place it can properly dwell into the mythology without angering the censors so in that case it need to be in a cable channel or online (Netflix or Hulu).
    3-Keep the character’s sexuality intact. Making him a overzealous womanizer is an insult and overcompensating to try an please the so called “moral” zealots.

Although i knew this show would not last more than one season (not because of the writing or casting) i watched each and every episode knowing this would have never worked without shock and awe on this channel. Another great show killed by people who couldn’t or (and) wouldn’t understand the premise.

20. Reno Hutchinson says: