Gilmore Girls Revival: Series Creator Amy Sherman-Palladino Addresses Reunion Project Buzz

Gilmore Girls Revival

Is TV’s revival craze about to extend to Stars Hollow?

At Saturday’s ATX TV Festival, Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino addressed recent buzz that her late, great WB/CW dramedy is on the verge of being resurrected.

“There’s nothing in-the-works at the moment,” she told the packed crowd at the Gilmore reunion panel. “Here’s the good thing: Nobody here hates each other. It would have to be the right everything — the right format, the right timing. It would have to be honored in a certain way. If it ever came around, I think we would all jump in and do it.

“If it ever happened,” she added, “I promise we’ll do it correctly.”

The frenzy was ignited last month by co-star Scott Patterson, who revealed on the Gilmore Guys podcast that “there are talks going on at the moment” for a reunion project, although he provided no specifics.

On the ATX panel, Patterson downplayed those earlier comments, saying that the possibility of the series being resurrected in some form is “the most-asked question I get from fans” and his response sprung “from a place of hopefulness.”

1. StopTheStatic says:

Amy has been sitting around since 2007 saying there’s ‘nothing in the works’ and ‘if it happens’, not realizing she herself has to make it happen somehow. Does she think Warner Bros is gonna knock on her door and ask her to do it? That’s completely unrealistic. Rob Thomas (and even Kristen Bell alongside him) worked his ass off for YEARS to get the VM movie going. She has to put in an effort and make some calls and book some meetings in order for this to happen. But she seems hellbent on not doing that. Sorry guys, as much as I love the show and want a continuation, the GG movie will never happen and ultimately, Amy is to blame.

• Tanya says:

Very much doubt that Amy has just been “sitting around”. This show means a lot to her so I’m sure she is doing what she can to get the revival going!

• Tanya says:

Now more than ever since it’s the season of reboots with shows like 24 and the X files making their way back!

• Nicole says:

I agree. If so many of the cast and fans feel like it wasn’t a good ending then make it happen!!!!

2. AddieM says:

I’m not getting my hopes high…seems like Amy has given up on the project as well. Best to move on

3. Apres Ski says:

And how much would she have to pay Melissa McCarthy for her time now that she’s big time movie star/TV star? I guess they could get along without her but I’m sad Amy’s not putting in the effort for us, her fans.

Oh well . . .

• Aimee says:

My guess is Melissa’d role would be more of a cameo that she’d hopefully do as more of a goodwill gesture. When they were doing the Veronica Mars movie a few actors popped up for a scene here and there who are doing alright for themselves and probably weren’t there for what little they were getting paid.

• Nan says:

I could do without MM being part of it. She’s become a caricature that does no credit to Sookie.

• ? says:

Amy gave her her break, she’d show up as much as she was able. Which probably wouldn’t be much, but she’d still do it because she’s not a horrible person.

4. DJ says:

C’mon Amy this is in your hands if you want it to happen you can do it.
    I keep wanting to believe it will especially since it started streaming on Netlix. But after this I lost hope. I thought this reunion would’ve been the perfect time to announce something.

5. JK says:

I can’t imagine it coming to the big screen. But I wonder if Netflix would ever do anything? I couldn’t imagine it anywhere else, even if it is just a movie, or a limited run (like 6-8 episodes).

6. abz says:

It’s not gonna happen unless she gets up and tries to push for it to happen. I’d much prefer a miniseries revival (like the ones they’ve been doing Full House, X Files, Heroes, etc.) over a movie. I just don’t think that a movie would be satisfying. I want a handful of episodes (or more). I think it’d be a great time to do it in the coming years. They can do a large time jump showing where Rory is career wise. Perhaps she’s getting married or is pregnant. Lorelai could have decided to open another inn and franchise the Dragonfly. We could see how that’s going and her relationship with Luke (sans April of course because that storyline was one of the worst on the show). And we could see Emily dealing with Richard’s passing. We also would see Friday night dinners too (perhaps even flipped with Emily eating in Lorelai’s kitchen LOL). I don’t know, I’m sure the writers could come up with something way more creative than I did. They should really consider this or at least start the early brainstorming development process. And now with the show being on Netflix and being off the air for so long a lot of people could have discovered the show and jumped on the Gilmore bandwagon and would be eager to see a revival.

7. Wild child says:

*rolls eyes* this woman is trolling us yet again. It’s like she’s throwing stuff into the ether to get people excited in the hopes that it will start some buzz and magically execs or a studio will approach her. She sounds like she’s sitting on her butt and waiting for something to happen rather than being active about it like Rob Thomas and his VM campaign that he’s lobbied for for 10 years. I’m not holding my breath for this one.

8. Lennie says:

My hopes are just gone *bye bye*

9. niyla styers would go bonkers and chit her pants if this reunion happened. you would need 1000 rolls of tissue to clean up her dripping beaver and dirty back box. the reunion would be so good. one of the best shows in WB history

10. bshaid says:

Well, I suppose it would have to start with the death of Richard and go from there. Or some point in time after that…

• Cindy says:

New miniseries could start with Richard’s funeral with tons of people in attendance and a beautiful eulogy – a way to honor the character and the real man Edward Hermann. If the series was long enough, it could be such a treat to watch Emily on the dating scene – oh, the antics one can think of with Emily and assorted fellas, could be hilarious. Or….she could just get back with the one guy she went out with when she and Richard were separated – would make for more interesting Friday night dinners!

11. Kristen B says:

I really hope they make the movie happen! They tried with the copycat series about the ballet dancers but it just didn’t cut it… nothing can beat the amazing cast and writing of Gilmore Girls. Personally I’d love to see Luke marry Lorelai and have kids together. Scott Patterson was the perfect Luke. Dream guy right there! Need more closure on the series – I’d be all about bringing the entire series back, not just a movie!

12. Ggfangirl says:

I’d love to see a movie, or how about 1 more season! Characters all in their older stage of life, man that would be the best!!!

13. christa welch says:

Did lorlai have baby with Luke. If u watched the show from the beginning u would not b team Logan he was awful and they had no chemistry

14. just don’t wait too long, we want to see some favorite characters on it (Taylor, Miss Patty, Emily & Babette)

15. Laura Markl says:

I have been wanting a GILMORE GIRLS movie. I think they need to give a farewell to Edward Hermann’s character. The begging of the movie could be Rory coming back for her grandfather’s funeral and then they could go from there.

16. Karen Oleet says:

Scott Patterson is right – fans would love, love, LOVE a Gilmore Girls reunion!!

17. Judith Hall says:

Would love a recap on where everyone is now. Don’t think any of the guys were right for Rory so hopefully she has found someone who has bits of all three ex’s. Lorelai and Luke have to be together somewhere. Everything else can advance as they will. Please bring it back to a happy conclusion.