Gilmore Girls' Amy Sherman-Palladino on That Final Season ('S–t Happens'), Fighting for Melissa McCarthy and More

Gilmore Girls Reunion

Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino might not have been involved in the long-running dramedy’s final season, but as ATX Television Festival goers learned Saturday, the baroness of banter bears no ill will.

“The last season was the last season, s–t happens,” she said during the “Coffee With Amy Sherman-Palladino” panel. “We left it in the hands of our writers, so it wasn’t like we got Saddam Hussein to come in. We had smart, strong writers who had been with us and trained with us. We felt like, ‘Well, if we can’t be there, at least it’s in the hands of people that we know will honor the spirit of what we set up.'”

She admitted that it’s “always a bummer when you don’t get to end it,” and that she “hoped maybe there would have been a call — ‘Hey, it’s the last episode. Do you want to come back?’ — and there wasn’t.”

“That’s the way it works in Hollywood; there are rules,” she conceded. “I just don’t like rules.” That said, she’s still on speaking terms with the entire cast, and as she pointed out, “When does that happen?”

Gilmore Girls ReunionOne of the more surprising revelations of the panel, met with the appropriate amount of crowd-gasping, was that Palladino “had to fight” to get Melissa McCarthy cast as Sookie St. James.

“It wasn’t that people didn’t like her, but she was a different energy,” Palladino explained. “She was a different kind of chick. The part was just written for a woman — there was no body type, there was nothing specific about it. I was just like, ‘I need someone who’s funny and can really act.’ Just funny doesn’t get me anything, because I need her to be able to cry and be heartbroken and be in a relationship, so it was a tricky sell. It took a while.”

As for the series’ elusive final four words — the ones Palladino had planned since the very beginning, but obviously was never able to make manifest — she said she’s not ready to reveal them. Not yet, anyway. (“At this point, I’m just being a complete a–hole.”)

Gilmore fans, what did you think of the show’s final, Palladino-less season? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Scott21 says:

Just make a movie already!!! Please!!!

• Ann says:

Honestly, I don’t think I would want to see a movie anymore. The actor who played Lorelai’s father is dead. And if they do a movie, they’d have to involve the grandparents. Will Richard Gilmore be dead in the movie too? Or will they just have Kelly Bishop and ignore his absence? It just wouldn’t be the same…unless they explain his absence with his death in the movie…

• shutuprob says:

If you really think about it, Edward Herrmann’s death really isn’t an insurmountable issue because the show had established back in, IIRC, season 4 that Richard had a serious heart problem. Thus, the question isn’t if Richard is dead in any Gilmore reunion *** miniseries *** (the show’s relationships are too complicated to revive and then tie-up in just two hours, so let’s press for the six hour miniseries like The X-Files is getting — the question is how and when did he die? Before or after Lorelai and Luke got married? I think that, given their separate committment phobias, it’s highly likely that Lorelai and Luke *still* aren’t married, eight years later, but they have at least one kid (if not two) anyway.
        Also, I think that the four final words should be Lorelai, Rory and Emily saying, “I love you, Mom,” to each other — yes, Lorelai to Rory and Emily to Lorelai, too — while walking down the street with ice creams in their hands.

• Ann says:

Yes. Everything you said is true. But it’s for that reason I don’t want a move or miniseries…it would mean that they have to kill off Richard Gilmore and I’d rather him live on forever and ever in all the repeats.

• Christy says:

As much as I’d love more to the story I think I agree with you. I was so upset with his real life death, and any fictional plot based off of real life deaths (Glee, Fast & Furious) just destroys me. If they do a reunion I’ll probably just read about it to save myself the excessive crying dehydration!

• Amy says:

Are you serious? Yes Richard was great but Edward would not want to be the reason for no reunion. He was proud of this special show!

• Nicole says:

Don’t you mean lorelai to Emily (daughter to mom) and rorary to lorelai (daughter to mom)?

• Teresa says:

I like that idea!

• Carla says:

In the spirit of a GG Reunion- to which I say BRING IT ON! I like the writing of the final scene but not the image. Their actions have to speak volumes or it has to be very sublte. I don’t think eating ice cream is powerful enough. Not sure but off the cuff I wonder if something like a skip way into the future (way as we’ve already lost time) with new hope, new dreams, Rory with baby, new combined Luke/Lorelai establishment ???

• Carla says:

And. . .I agree the direction of the message has to be from mother to daughter. That’s how it would be at my house, out here in the real world Midwest. The Gilmore Girls, above all other binge-watching tv series, is our show. This includes matching tattoos of ‘in omnia paratus’ with small umbrellas. We are definitely ‘Team Logan’ at our house. This show is a great chronicle of growing up, growing up as a daughter and growing up as a mother. We LOVE it!

• David says:

I would love to see a movie or at least something come about. I felt the last season and especially the series finale just felt empty. As for Edward we all knew Richard had issues and paying proper tribute maybe in the opening would be a nice way that way the sadness could emerg into happyness

• GraceM says:

The movie wouldn’t be the same without Edward Herman in it as Richard. May he R.I.P.

2. Stacie says:

I always thought the last 4 words would have been something like “Luke, I am pregnant” or her telling Rory so “Rory, I am pregnant”. That would have been a crazy end, because as Rory gets older she starts over with a newborn baby. That was always my thought. But obviously it’s been years and years and we still don’t know, so it really could be anything. I wish we could get a movie to see where these characters are now, especially with Sherman-Palladino coming back to helm that movie, since we didn’t get to hear her words the last season.

• B says:

“I’m pregnant” “Me too” would have been cool, even if I don’t really think pregnancy where they would have went, but it’s definitely plausible

3. Shaina Ruth says:

Season 7 certainly has its merits. It just didn’t have the same voice. You can feel something missing. Though a lot of the good returned halfway through the season when Lauren Graham was added on as Producer. I think she really had knowledge of Amy’s voice and tried to bring that in. As a fan from the very beginning, and for life, I don’t hate Season 7…..I just wish it had been Amy.

• Joyce Amato says:

Can’t wait to see reunion. Expect to see Lorilei & Luke married. Would like to see Rory & Logan together married. Definitely do not want to see Rory with Jess. Hope to see Sookie & Jackson. Would love to see the whole former cast. Babbett & Maury, Miss Pattie, Gypsy, Michel of course Kirk & Taylor. It will be sad to see Emily without Richard.

• Teresa says:

I am so excited to hear this. The series ended well but after so many hurdles to get Luke and Lorilei together it would be nice to see them just happy! Also to see how Emily and Rory have done.

• Joyce Amato says:

I so agree. You could feel Amy’s absence.

• Danielle says:

I’m there with you! It was left open to interpretation, and I loved that they didn’t do a time hop.

4. Kiane says:

Actually, I think those final four words might very well be “will you marry me?”. But, the final season was the worst out of the entire series.

• Josh says:

No. The final scene would be between Lorelei and Rory. Also that’s how season 5 ended

• Ann says:

I always thought the final words might be from Rory to her mom, “I love you, mom” as she was moving away from Stars Hollow for good for a career on the West Coast or something.

• brandi says:

I agree. I think whatever the last 4 words would have been I think it would have been just between Lorelai and Rory. They were the heart of the show, the show was about them. I always thought they’d be something like We’ll always be Gilmore’s or We are Gilmore Girls. Something like that. But I do agree with ASP she is being an ahole about not revealing those words. It’s been 8 years, time to give it up. I bet when in May of 2017 (10 years) the internet will light up with the release of the last 4 words she planned on using. Or maybe she’ll make us all wait until 2027, stingy hag.

• Joyce Amato says:

I hope those aren’t the last 4 words. I want to see them married even if we don’t see the wedding.

5. Babybop says:

Everyone talks about how the last season was so bad because Amy wasn’t there anymore, but honestly, she was the one that messed everything up. She made Rory an unlikeable diva and then split up Luke and Lorelai. It’s good to see her stick up for it a little in saying she trusted the writers. The last season wasn’t a train wreck, in my opinion.

• Lauren says:

Yeah, it always felt like she dropped a bomb as she went out the door. Luke has a daughter BOOM Lorelei slept with Christopher POW

• Ari says:

I think the biggest mistake the show ever made was Luke’s secret daughter. She was the catalyst for most of the stuff the was unlikable in the last two seasons.

• Lilly says:

I agree. The last season was spent fixing that horrible season six.

• Melosm says:

And she destroyed any chance of Jess and Rory!! Set her up to love a rich womanizing snob. I think Rory’s character started to decline with his introduction. At least the writers broke them up in the end and she was with no one.

• Ines says:

You read my mind. She was the one who “made” Lorelai sleeping with Christopher and Rory rebel like a spoiled brat with a spoiled rich playboy.
      I think Luke’s daughter was unnecessary but I liked the father-daughter relationship between the two actors. What I hated was Luke not telling Lorelai (why the writers took so long is beyond me) and Lorelai acting jealous. She wanted Luke to get used to all her quirks but she couldn’t do the same for him?
      I enjoyed season 7 more than 6 because they were able to repair the chaos they created.

• Liah says:

I didn’t mind Luke having a secret daughter (even though I kinda felt like April’s mom was a bit too much like Lorelai with her one of a kind shop and when April said something like: “She once painted a mural out of nailpolish on my wall”, that could have been something Lorelai did with Rory). I did admire Lorelai for trying to be okay with Luke wanting her to stay out of his relationship, I always felt how hard it was for her to do so, but I could also understand Luke when he finally admitted: “The moment you meet April she will like you more than me.” I think he was right. ;-)
        But in Season 7 – like with so many things – April for me became a bit annoying, kinda over the top (when she was sick and not allowed to go to the party or when they had a talk about kissing), I don’t know, I always kinda cringe when watching those scenes. During the entire Season 7, I think, dialogues seemed too long but only because Amy didn’t write them. The spark in the words was missing. It was just words. It’s like they tried to use as many words as they always had, but they couldn’t find the right ones, so while watching I notice my mind starts to wander away and my ears stop listening and that never happened in Season 1 to 6, even when there may have been things happening I wasn’t so happy about.

As for a movie … someone here said it should be a mini series, and I love that idea for I usually don’t fancy making a movie out of a wonderful TV show. Mini series sounds great and I also do agree with the poster who said Grandpa Richards death could be what the series centers around, maybe even be the reason why Rory, who may have travelled all over the world as a journalist, for the first time comes back home again. It could be interesting to see how being out in the world has changed her and how or if she can still get back in tune with Lorelai. I mean, Lorelai has always been Rory’s world, now if she has seen the real world, how will her perspective have changed and what does that do to their relationship?

6. Leila says:

To be fair, the show went downhill with the whole April storyline. And that was ASP… They’ve had a difficult job in season 7 to come back from that mess.

• Rachel says:

Wow, do I agree with you on that. I barely made it through season 7, but that April storyline in season 6 derailed a good portion of the show.

• Bwhit says:

This! That storyline was terrible and it felt like they didn’t know what to do with April in season 7.

• Beth says:

I couldn’t agree more! That storyline was the awful.

• brandi says:

I completely agree. The show derailed from there and then Rory dropped out of Yale, that was so uncharacteristic of her. Then the estrangement between her and Lorelai. The whole of season 6 kind of sucked. I really thought season 6 and 7 were not very good with all the changes and damage they’d done to the relationships with Lorelai. The only really good thing that happened was that in the end Luke and Lorelai did end up together. We just weren’t lucky enough to see the results.

• Sheila says:

Rory becoming a petulant teen once she got to college, that’s what killed it for me. She was never as likeable after that first year of school with the acting out and drinking and dating stupid Logan.

• Lerbert says:

I have to agree with you all. I also watched the show from start to finish and loved it for the dialogue between mother and daughter, Stars Hollow, Sookie, Richard, and Emily but there were also significant character development problems, and as I look back really questionable plot-lines. I never understood the point of Logan in the show other than to allow Rory to live like dilettante. So much of Rory’s college years wasted. Same with Christopher–so many problems with his place in the show. Rory is really able to forgive her father for being absent nearly all her life and then jerking her mother around every 9 months or so? Not so cute. And April…sheesh. Finally, I always thought how interesting the show would have been if Lorelei and Rory hadn’t taken the money. Not erasing the grandparents because their roles were essential but it would have been so interesting to see that relationship being built out of Rory’s need to see her grandparents and not created as a transaction.

7. Brynna G says:

I think she’s holding onto the words just in case they ever get a movie…at least I like to think that because it gives me hope. Still pissed how it ended…

• Patrick says:

Its probably not going to happen. ASP bit the hand that fed her, and media companies have long memories wrt that sort of thing. She took one of the CW’s best brands out back and put 2 in its head over the last season she was in charge, during which she set up an awful scenario that was un-fixable in S7. She alienated so many fans that the show ended 2-3 years before it should have. Further, the last 2 seasons left such a bad taste in the mouths of fans that it killed its syndication prospects. ASP is talking nice now, because she has realized how badly her reputation was damaged. She’s having trouble getting gigs, and its because of what she did at the end of her tenure on Gilmore.

• brandydanforth81 says:

“killed its syndication prospects”What are you talking about? gilmores have been syndicated for years on ABCFamily

• Patrick says:

Yes. Only ABCF. It should be in heavy rotation on local affiliates as well. The first 4-5 years were fantastic. By the time it limped over the finish line, no one cared anymore.

8. Jackie says:

i always thought the final four words would be either “I love you mom” or ” I love you Lorelei” between Lor and Emily.

9. Laurel says:

i live Gilmour Girls. I hated the final season.

10. Kristina says:

Season 7 was a disaster, honestly. I didn’t hate it because a bad season of Gilmore Girls was better than none at all, but it definitely didn’t feel like the same show for a lot of it, though to be fair a lot of it was spent cleaning up the mess that season 6 created. I’m still holding out hope for a movie. Lots of other shows are doing “revivals” or limited series returns, so I suppose nothing is out of the question.

11. Cookely says:

Fighting for MCCarthy ! Ha! Try to jump on that bandwagon now,ASP!!!

12. Delirious says:

Gotta ask… Why does the Bunheads piece have much more juice than this one?

13. hello says:

So she is the reason Melissa McCarthy got famous, i don’t like her

• Danyelle says:

That wasn’t fatist at all.

• Liz985 says:

Melissa McCarthy got famous because she’s talented – superior comedic timing, able to draw on the heartbreaking pathos of a clown, and has charisma.

• maggie says:

Melissa McCarthy was great on GG. I’m so happy to see her go on to bigger fame, but I wish she would get more complicated parts. On GG McCarthy showed she could do a lot more than just be funny.

• MC says:

The characters she plays these days tend to be simplistic, abrasive and/or obnoxious. She is making a fortune, though.

14. Jabo jabo says:

I stopped watching Gilmore Girls early on. Not because I didn’t like the characters, but because of the endless dialog between Lorelai and her father. It seemed to go on forever to the point that listening to Lorelai was like chalk screeching on a blackboard. I liked Milo, Rory and some of the other characters. I did not watch Parenthood for many of the same reasons. Too much dialog between Lorelai and her father (Coach). The old expression, “talk is cheap” must be true, because with these long drawn out talks they saved on production costs.

15. Coco B. says:

All pros but for Lorelei marrying Christopher (such) and April showing up…no need for Luke to have a child.Can’t wait for a reunion of some sort…and yes season six wasn’t the best actually the worst

16. GraceM says:

I always wondered where Chad Michael Murray’s character would have ended up had he not left for One Tree Hill. Instead of Tristan being sent off to Military school.

17. ChicagoDan says:

Coincidence that ASP pulls out the MM card on a weekend when Melissa will have the #1 movie. Oh, and MM is one of those rare stars – there is no way she wasn’t going to be incredibly successful. Weren’t people pretty much cheering when ASP left after the disasterous S6? Funny how history is rewritten….

18. Lauren says:

It’s kind of interesting because I hated season six, (mainly the second half where they took a sledgehammer to Luke and Lorelai) whereas season seven content-wise wasn’t as hard to watch. But it also didn’t have that voice, you could just tell there was something off about it. I think Amy Sherman-Palladino has such a distinct voice they couldn’t copy it. I still wish they’d make a mini-series or something (with Amy in charge). I mean come on, who is clamoring for a Prison Break/24/Full House etc etc etc reunion, yet we get them?

19. Marci says:

The last season sucked until the end of the final episode. Luke and Lorelai should never have been broken up.

• Seuss says:

I remember watching a scene of them together in scene 5 and thinking, “I just love them together.” Most shows the couple gets boring if they get together too soon in the series, but Gilmore Girls was so unique and had such a different dynamic that ASP never needed to break them up and create drama – at least not major drama. The drama at the parents vow renewal was ok, but they were good together and the show was still fun and interesting to watch after they finally got together. It tainted it somehow to have that April drama, then have Lorelai marry weak Christopher. I hated that and was just thankful they put them back together in the end though it was never perfect closure for us fans. As much as I didn’t like what ASP did to break them up, I still felt like she was the only one who could’ve made it feel totally right again. She brought a special magic to GG that was lacking a bit when she left.

20. c-mo says:

I miss this show so much, catching it as I can on ABC Family just isn’t enough (but thank you ABC Fam for keeping it alive now that SoapNet is gone) so I’d love to see a limited run series a la 24 or X-Files. I hated S6 so much that it took me 3 years to buy the DVDs. While I enjoyed the character “April”, I didn’t like that she was Luke’s kid and I didn’t like the way he kept her away from Lorelai, totally not in character for him. While I wasn’t a huge fan of Christopher and Lorelai getting married, I can see why it was done; it was the only way to separate them permanently and allow Lorelai to release her past. The rest of S7 was recovery and rebuilding from the epic disaster of S6. Even though the epic disaster was the brainchild of ASP, I still think she’s the only person that should helm any kind of reunion.

21. Danielle says:

Let’s be straight here. The last season was awful and now we know why. That being said, I’m still hoping for a movie.

22. Cathy says:

I would like to know if there’s a way to see any video from this.

23. David4 says:

She’s been a complete a-hole since about the 5th season of the show with the Mess with Dean, Logan, the huge unforgivable mess with Luke.

24. C. says:

I have loved Gilmore Girls from the very beginning, I have the box set. It’s great! So excited for other to see it on Netflix. I introduced the show to my sister and niece & they love it too! One I my most favorite things is when Lorelai & Rory say things about the town of Stars Hollow, like ” Doofus town” referring to almost all the strange happenings that take place. What’s not to love about Gilmore Girls! Can’t go wrong! ☆☆☆☆☆ rating in my book of great TV.

25. Care says:

I always thought the last four words were Emily saying ” Lorelai, you were adopted.”

• cb says:

Me too. I’ve always thought the last 4 words would be Lorelai finding out she’s adopted.

• Battle_Pug says:

Very interesting… Actually, I don’t remember any comments from Emily about her pregnancy with Lorelai…

• Peggy says:

In the episode where Emily had to Lasix surgery when Loralei was giving her a hard time about squiring her around, and only made the comment I don’t remember being in labor with anyone else for 14 hours. Loralei is not adopted

• Allison says:

If Lorelai had been adopted they would have had to name her at birth. She was named after Richard’s mother Lorelai. Personally, I can only see them using that name on a biological child. The name was carried on traditionally through 3 generations.

26. monieet says:

There was no final season. NO ending nothing. Yes, make a movie and give us an ending.

27. Paula says:

I always loved the Sookie character, lots of depth, and a little different to the Rory/Lorelai rhythm, which was refreshing. . Both storylines of April, and Rory dropping out of Yale, didnt seem to have the warmth, and tenderness most other stories have been handled with. For example, we see how odious Emily could be with Lorelai, but also the warmth and love they had for each other. The April/Yale lines, didnt have that depth. (Although the character of April was excellent). They felt a bit sledge hammered. Having said that, the whole series is still unmissable, and I love it.I think that the last words would be ‘We’re having a girl’

28. The April story line didn’t bother me as much as it seemed to bother others. It’s the virgin Lane getting pregnant with twins after having ‘bad’ sex on her honeymoon story that bugged me the most. Ugh. THE worst story line ever. I cringe thinking about it. Love the show otherwise!

• Ani says:

Yes! It bothered me that we never found out if Lane tried and sucseded in having good sex. I mean, I’m sure she would have, but it was a little thing that bothered me more than other stuff that didn’t have full closure. I felt sad for Lane, like her life wasnt what she wanted it to be.

29. Angelstorm says:

Final 4 words ?
    “Oy with the poodles!”

You’re welcome. :p

30. Whatever says:

Just give us the four words already…geeze

31. Barry Lilien says:

I’d love to see a movie or mini-series that continues this wonderful show. A big problem, in my opinion, is that the writers painted themselves into a corner by having Rory go off to cover the Obama campaign. Hard to imagine how Lorelei and Rory could continue their close relationship with Rory off somewhere new often.

32. B says:

I think it would work better as a miniseries or a limited run series. This shows deserves a proper send off because honestly that open-ended series finale left much to be desired! I want to know if Lorelai ends up with Luke, who Roy ends up with hopefully Dean or Jess, and Kelly’s recently widowed character is up to! There is plenty potential for a miniseries, movie, or limited run series

33. I live in the bay area(CA). Am 71 & diabled. Would had loved to have been there, but please before i leave this earth, give us either a final ending or a movie. I have watch Gilmore Girls from beginning to end when first started, and faithfully watch the re-runs on ABC family 2 hours a day M-F. If not a movie, then one honest Ending. Wonderful Actors. Fantastic Writing, until the ending. I hope to see this Reunion some day in full, along with I hope & pray.. Connie

34. How about this:

Rory gets tasked with the job of Profiling Jess about his breakthrough novel, which is an autobiogaphical fiction about him and Rory in their teens, much in the style of Dave Eggers.
    While on assignment, she gets a call that her grandfather has passed. She leaves, Jess follows.
    In Stars Hollow, there is no strife in the Lorelai/Luke relationship. They’re solid. Monogrammed towels and all. What Lorelai has to do is to get things resolved with her mom while she goes overboard with the funeral planning.

35. jerkseverywhere says:

I’m ready for more Gilmore love, bring them back already!!!!!!!

36. Kelly says:

i LOVED the show but the last season and the last episode was such a let down! You feel like these characters are people you know and then all of a sudden they are “different ” Luke and Lorelei belong together. Rory moving on for a while is understandable but Logan could have followed her.

37. TN says:

I think they should leave well enough, alone. I loved the show but the last season was pretty bad…I was actually longing for the end of the series because the story lines got so nuts and unpleasant to watch…I kept thinking, “Of course this is the last season, this show is getting terrible”. Because I had invested so much time watching the previous 6 seasons, I was intent on finishing it but really, things dragged out in unpleasant ways longer then they needed to in the last season.

38. leeza29 says:

I’ve thought about this…. It should start on a sad note… the gathering for Richard Gilmores funeral, Lorelai (and Luke) are expecting twins and she goes into labor at the service. Rory a is very writer and runs into all her old boyfriends, makes amends with Dean–who is now happily married, she ends up with??? Logan or Jess (I vote for Jess)

39. Laura says:

I would love a miniseries! Bring back Jess Please!

40. claire tougas says:

Without Melissa McCarthy …won’t be the same..

41. Chloe Tilly says:

The show was absolutely awesome, and we still watch the re-runs! My daughter and I will take anything we can get, a movie, a series, a short series, whatever! Just please bring it back.

42. Teresa says:

43. bp says:

I agree with pretty much everyone one site. Season 6 was where it seemed to go off-rails, then season 7 while good in that it was about fixing the season 6 mess, just didn’t sparkle dialogue-wise like the previous seasons. But still can’t stand the idea of Rory with Jess. He was such an underachiever and treated Rory very poorly. She deserves someone that will treat her with respect and consideration. Jess was not that guy – he was that bad boy we all seem to have to date at some point in our lives. Love, love, love the idea that they are going to be doing a mini-series. I recently canceled my Netflix account, but to see this show come back and finish up the right way? I’ll totally be a return customer!!

44. Lea says:

I think the final four words will be something like (Lorelai to Rory or vice versa) “where shall we eat?” Or “shall we get coffee?”

45. Alicia says:

I guess I would have to buy Netflix so I could watch it! As of now, I’m having to get my fix from reruns. I would love to see Lorelai and Luke get married!!! I’d like to see how the family has handled Richard’s death also. I’m very excited!!!!!

46. Would love to see a movie. I was so unhappy , like with many other shows, how Gilmore Girls ended. For a show that was full of fast paced banter, wit and intelligence, it was quite a slap in the face with the way it ended.

47. Starla Pezzullo says:

I am so very excited about a continuation of GG! I found this series a year ago, and have lived and looked forward to every episode. still can’t watch the final episode of season 7, because I don’t want it to end!!! So bring it on – I can’t wait!

48. Dan says:

On Melissa MCCarthryI believe if you did not even ask her that was wrong of you she was one of the main character
    I loved her then laughing crying all that the girls or ladies would get there self into and she has
    really became one the leading lady in hollywood and your not having her back in you GG get togethere I say it your lost