Grey's Anatomy Ups Jason George to Series Regular for Season 12

Grey's Anatomy Jason George Series Regular

At least one doc definitely won’t be checking out of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital.

Grey’s Anatomy has promoted Jason George, who plays Bailey’s husband Ben, to series regular for Season 12, TVLine has confirmed.

“Thank you, @ShondaRhimes!” the actor tweeted Friday. “Y’all are gonna have 2 deal w/me and the whole @GreysABC family for a while now!”

As TVLine first reported, the ABC drama is also set to add a new male doctor to its ensemble in a full-time capacity following Patrick Dempsey’s surprise departure.

EW.com first reported the Jason George news.

Are you pleased to hear that George will be a more permanent part of Grey‘s next season? Sound off in the comments!

1. Beep says:

He is so boring and so is bailey. Could care less about this guy. I want Derek back! He was the only guy on the show that I tuned in for.

2. Debbie says:

Yes I am very happy

3. Tahina says:

Nothing against the actor, but I would have preferred someone else for Bailey. Also, this means more screen time for them and less for the ex-couple, AKA Calzona. Ugh.

4. B says:

This is fine as long as they bring something extremely dynamic to his character. Ben’s best when Bailey’s off the rails and kind of pointless otherwise, at least as we know him now.

5. AddieM says:

So I suppose he’s not in Mistresses anymore since Alyssa M is not on the show anymore.
    However it’s good to see Bailey in a steady r/ship.

6. abz says:

Completely unnecessary. Nothing against the actor, but the character adds nothing to the show. Honestly, if he never showed up again I may never have even noticed. Could say the same thing about Bailey. I know characters change over time and she would naturally not stay the same but the writers have made her lose everything about her that made her special. She definitely isn’t the same character and has been at times very unlikable the past few seasons. It was so annoying how much the writers made Bailey and her husband hog so much of that two our mourning for Derek episode.

7. Dominique says:

it’s about time! i love ben and i adore jason george as an actor. this is great news!!

8. Brock says:

About time. Big fan.

9. Grey's Fan says:

Finally. Looking forward to Ben/Bailey, perhaps a pregnancy is in their future — the one thing that would postpone Bailey’s future as Chief of Surgery… I wouldn’t mind an “outsider” coming in to take charge for a season or two, because it’ll create conflict with the regulars. Also, hope this means Ben’s story with his sister is a major plot next season, involving more characters — could Ben’s sister be a new love interest for Arizona or Callie? How will she impact Jackson?

10. Matty Si. says:

Does this mean he won’t be on Mistresses anymore? I mean what would they do with him anyway now that Savi is gone?

11. T.W.123 says:

So excited about this news! I know he isn’t a fan favorite, but I love Ben and LOVE his dynamic with Bailey. I’ll admit that Bailey hasn’t been as great in recent years, but I’m also hopeful that adding Ben back full time also means a return for his trans sister, and I had a lot of hope for that storyline.

12. albean99 says:

I like his character so I’m happy and he’s not to bad to look at either.

13. Pedro says:

Finally! A great actor and good-looking.

14. Babygate says:

Grey’s is officially done. It is now a completely different show that I don’t even recognize. Ben and Bailey have a cute relationship but they are not the reason people tune in. The more storylines and screentime they get, the less attention is given to the characters fans actually care about. Shonda is obviously on her own agenda and completely deaf to the fans that have made her the commodity she’s become. Keep it up, Scandal took a serious hit towards the end of this season, HTGAWM was a huge hit right off the gate and by the end it had lost like half the viewership and this season on Grey’s she managed to alienate MerDer and Calzona fans and topped that off by giving Richard and Catherine as well as Ben and Bailey the attention and care that she withheld from the characters that have been paying her bills. Me thinks her arrogance will soon catch up with her. 0

• Cherub says:

So basically what you’re saying is damn the black actors they are not paying the bills. Smh. And idk what ratings you were looking at but compared to other shows they are doing fantastic. Fine the tweet TVLine sent out about it and most of the top shows had black leads.

• Holly says:

Rather presumptuous of you to speak for all fans of Grey’s Anatomy. How do you know which characters the fans watch the show for? If you don’t like Shonda’s shows, don’t watch. No one is forcing you to. Plenty of other shows out there that can use your viewership.

15. PugMomma09 says:

Finally! I really like Ben and Jason George has always been so awesome with the fans. Now they can really take his character to the next level.

16. Whatevah says:

Smart move ABC & Shonda, but I already thought he was full time, my bad. Love him & Bailey together. I approve.

17. ingreenmts says:

Like the actor but the cast is getting too big again.

18. EM says:

I like Jason George and the character of Ben. However I never bought him and Bailey as a couple.

19. Lady V says:

So Happy he will be a regular! So upset about Derek! Didn’t see that one coming, especially since he and Meredith realized they needed each other, and then you let her have another baby!!! So upset!!!!

20. chanelgalme says:

No. Too many minor characters who just messed up the story lines.
    Frankly , after Izzie left, I found Greys got boring and more boring. It is time this story should end. The characters are all old now and should behaved more maturely.
    Time to call it quits.

21. Bill says:

Have liked him since Sunset Beach. Glad to see he finally got a solid gig!!

22. Kat says:

I have loved Grey’s forever! I think the show is at its best when we are watching the characters work thru grief, with thru pain, with thru anguish. Bombs, buses, shootings, airplane crashes – we watched them fall apart and build themselves back up. I think we missed that with Merideth dealing with derricks death. I hope this season we see her growth! Having other characters go thru life’s scary moments is what’s makes Grey’s the best!