Wayward Pines Recap: There's a New Sheriff in Town — Plus: Who Died Now?

Wayward Pines Ethan Sheriff

This Thursday on Fox’s Wayward Pines, the bizarre burg’s big secrets slowwwwly started coming to the fore.

Fresh off Pope’s cold-blooded murder (and subsequent “disappearance”), Ethan and his shaken family return to their house, where they find… a crisp new blazer for Ben to wear to his first day at Wayward Pines Academy! (Note: My son stayed home from school recently because of a dull headache; Ben just saw his father shoot a man, whose body then got dragged behind an electrified perimeter fence by a goblin or something, but learnin’ is learnin’!)

The next day, while Ben is off getting grilled by his teacher Mrs. Fisher about what “home” is/isn’t (as well as having his father’s character called into question), Theresa takes a stroll through town, where she comes face to face with Kate. As a hand-carved music box (ostensibly) drowns out their conversation for 30 seconds, Theresa explains that she left the Secret Service to focus on her family, who Kate then “hurt” by having an affair with Ethan. Kate visibly registers her guilt, but argues, “A lot has changed since then — you just don’t know it.”

Newly (and quite immediately!) installed sheriff Ethan meanwhile discovers beneath his desk a hidden cache of files, detailing the residents and who/what they were before Wayward Pines. After Peter McCall is hauled in for defacing public property — in his reckoning-eligible “third strike,” he spray-painted, “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act” — Ethan presents the man with his file. Perusing the very sleek folder’s pages, Peter’s past eventually bubbles back to the surface: He was on a business trip to Los Angeles in 2001 when he hooked up with a stranger, Denise. After carousing and then blacking out in his hotel room, Peter woke up in Wayward Pines — and “Denise” was now the noticably older Nurse Pam.

When Ethan suspects that Mayor Fisher (aka school teacher/former hypnotherapist Megan’s husband) might want to spill some town secrets, Theresa arranges a dinner date for the four of them. At the local beer garden, the mayor discreetly confides in Ethan that “they” focus on the kids, that it’s “all about shaping the mind of the child.” When the wives rejoin the men, Ethan abruptly brings up the reckonings; Megan contends that they don’t make the laws, merely follow them.

Nurse Pam interrupts the restaurant revelry to toast the new sheriff, who she hopes will “swiftly and severely” punish those who deserve it. Ethan jumps in to attest, “I will do all in my power to see that evils are brought to light, that the true criminals are brought to justice.” On the way home, he and Theresa bump into Dr. Jenkins, whom they ask about the need for reckonings. “Sometimes the best things require the greatest sacrifice,” the odd man posits.

As Episode 4 of 10 nears a close, Ben finds a new friend in classmate Amy, Theresa is mysteriously offered a recently vacated (hmmm…) Realtor job and Ethan plots to hide Peter from those who demand him dead. But after questioning the purpose of the fence (Is it keeping them in, or something out?) and then showing Ethan the “one way out” of Wayward Pines (up a tall, steep rock face), Peter declares, “This is the end for me” — and then lobs himself onto the electrified fence.

Returning home, Ethan tells Theresa to stay put and “play along” while he goes to get help. Stopping at the cop shop for provisions and such, he bestows the job of sheriff upon an all-too-amenable Pam, and then heads out to scale the cliff… where at the top an eerie, pale being spies him from behind a tree….

What did you think of this week’s episode? What are your new theories? (What if I told you that what Ethan found last week in the warehouse, coupled with what’s beneath his desk and something Peter said, points to one of the big secrets?) Regardless, next Thursday you’ll get sooooo many answers, one of which I absolutely did not see coming.

1. Beep says:

Area 51 is wayward pines. Aliens live behind the wall, manipulating the town. It’s all a government conspiracy/experiment.

• herman1959 says:

Beep, I’ve known from the beginning that “it’s all a government conspiracy/experiment”, but for what purpose and who is the intended target? – that’s the question. I never know where this show is headed,and that’s why I like it so much. It would seem that it has something to do with thought control, but that’s not very helpful, and neither are Matt’s clues.

• smartysenior says:

Except people are all aging at different rates. That’s the one that stops all my theories every time.

2. laurelnev says:

Ok. I’m calling it. They’re in an alien zoo! :-D

Okay,,,so we know they’re hand-picked b/c of the children…but that doesn’t explain Kate or why Bev’s daughter was not brought there with her. We know Denise/Pam is one of the “recruiters,” and seemingly, the only one who ages normally. Did we get an “origin year” tonight? Was the former realtor one of the “originals?” And is the teacher part of the “controlling board” too? So many questions…

• brandon says:

if you want answers, read the book
      there are 3. pines,wayward and the last man on earth

• laurelnev says:

You read the book people! :-) I want to learn from the show…maybe then I’ll read the books, which I’m sure are better anyway. But please, all you book people, don’t spoil the fun of us who are playing along with THIS version!

• The Real Ironman says:

The third book in the series is called “The Last Town”…I hope that doesn’t be a potential spoiler, but the show has already deviated from the books, so don’t hang your hat on that one.

3. N says:

NOT aliens, please!

4. Sally McLinn says:

It’s getting veryyyyy interesting.

5. Susan says:

I cannot unsee a previous post that must have had legit spoilers :(

6. Pinkeye says:

Love it! So excited for next week’s episode, kind of frightening as well, is this already happining or coming soon!?

7. SamCro says:

This show has the WOW factor. (You say WOW when it is over.) I did the same with the X-files show.

Speaking of X-files, I just hate that David Duchovny, Aquarius is on at the same time, I know I can watch it on Demand, but there is so much bad TV out there they could schedule it better.

8. Will says:

Why doesn’t Ethan just put a bullet in Pam’s head? I don’t get it.. make up some bogus claim about her and let’s reap her already! I mean, where was the investigation and proof of Peter’s wrong doing (yes they “allegedly” caught him) – so bogus. It seems like Salem witchunts, all you have to do is claim someone did something and then kill them; it appears to be that easy.

9. Winter says:

I am just so confused.

10. David Strong says:

I’ll mention again that I’ve read the books. No, I won’t give out any spoilers, but I still don’t understand why people always seem to drift towards aliens in their guessing. Aliens seem to be the only explanation for anything out of the ordinary, right? There can’t possibly be any other explainations. Okay, let’s recap on last night’s new episode. It seems that the people who are keeping order in this mysterious town is doing a really poor job. Try to escape and you’re publicly executed by the sheriff. Sray some Goerge Orwell type sayings on a building, and you’re executed by the sheriff. Kill the sheriff while trying to escape, and you get to have his job as the new sheriff, okay, then. Ethan can’t express it more that he’s been trying to escape in all he’s done. What do they do? Make him sheriff and give him access the what appears to be the only gun locker in town with a bundle of loaded firearms in it. I mean this couldn’t possilby give Ethan and everyone he recruits to his side full control of the town, right? Okay, and in the previous episode Kate tells Ethan they are safe from the hidden microphones and cameras in the forest. Yet, when Ethan is in the forest with Peter McGall in this episode, Peter states they are being watched. Okay, and we have this creepy looking nurse Pam that Peter says was a hot brunette 14 years ago? Right, and Sheriff Pope never liked raisin rum ice cream. For some reason, everyone seems to be at the local bar and restauraunt when the Burkes agreed to have dinner with the Fishers. One part that puzzled me here was when creepy old nurse Pam told Ethan in regards to Peter’s dead body, ” You’re not fooling anyone. I’m a registered nurse.” Okay, so do you have to be a registered nurse to indentify whether a dead body had its throat slit or was burned to death?

11. Evan says:

Not sure I`m right on this or if this has been brought up, but could there be 2 different time lines going on? The one outside the town and the one inside and people are being woken up or created at different times. That`s why Ethan`s “ex” partner says she has been there X number of years and Ethan says it has only been a month or so. Also, that`s why her hair was able to get so long in such a “short” amount of time. That is also how the therapist and the sheriff were able to be in and outside of the area; different time periods. Also if Pam was also Denise, that would explain how she turned older really quick. They are frozen or clones and inside the wall is set in the future. Outside the wall maybe nothing exists anymore. Maybe monsters and death and toxic air or something, not sure. So the signs saying, you will die if you leave this wall, is actually a warning and they are there to protect them.

12. jim ward says:

I have just started watching it 2episodes only, I have come to the initial conclusion that when the story switches to the main characters family we are seeing the past, the main character is in the future, I will explain further , the woman says she sever has seen a plane that’s because there is non, I believe that its a secret cryogenic experiment that’s why some people seem to be there longer than others because they have been awakened first, I believe that wayward pines is the worlds last colony of humans, remember this, the wall maybe been of made not to keep residents from getting out instead its for stopping what’s outside getting in.