X-Files Revival on Fox: Are We Getting a Sequel to the Season 4 Classic 'Home'?

The X-Files Season 10 Home Again

They say you can’t go “Home” again. Well, they clearly have never met Mulder and Scully.

There are early indications that the second episode of Fox’s limited-series X-Files revival may be a sequel of sorts to the seminal, celebrated Season 4 outing “Home,” TVLine has learned exclusively.

For starters, Episode 2 of the six-episode continuation is titled “Home Again.” What’s more, the writer-director of the episode is Glen Morgan, who just so happened to pen the the original “Home” with fellow X scribe James Wong.

Still not convinced the two outings are somehow connected?

Well, both installments are the second episodes of their respective seasons, and the Jan. 25, 2016 air date for “Home Again” comes almost 20 years to the day after the Oct. 11, 1996 broadcast of “Home.”

Wait, there’s more!

Remember the freakish Peacock clan at the center of “Home”? Well, “Home Again” may out-Monster of the Week those inbred savages via “Band-Aid Nose Man.” Described as intimidating, odd, weary, creepy and immeasurably strong, Mr. Man is a powerful, violent and frightening “thought” come to life.

Thoughts? Is this just a series of coincidences? A subtle wink to fans? Or do you think “Home Again” is a follow-up to “Home”? Weigh in below!

1. jerem says:

and the Jan. 25, 2016 air date for “Home Again” comes almost 20 years to the day after the Oct. 11, 1996 broadcast of “Home.”

How is that relevant?

2. I still can’t listen to the Johnny Mathis song “Wonderful, Wonderful” without gettting creeped out! Years later, that episode still haunts me–yikes!

• SAM says:

That show creeped me out too! Occasionally (and usually around Halloween), we will talk about the scariest or creepiest movie and I always refer to this episode, even though it wasn’t a film. Ooo, I get chills just thinking about it!

• CountryQueen says:

I work in radio, and when this episode aired I worked at an Oldies station. Every time I played that song I got creeped out – even though it’s a great song! I even had a listener, who would do a fantastic Mrs. Peacock imitation, call and request it!

3. Yes! A million times yes to this!

4. Ann says:

No! That episode is a classic…they don’t need a follow-up sequel!

5. Perfect says:

It’s funny that in 1996 that episode was so scandalous it only ever aired once on television. Now it would just be “Eh. Creepy.”

• ericcartman23 says:

No, definitely not. In fact on today’s television they STILL don’t show some of the things shown on Home. Which is incredibly sick and unsettling.

6. Katherine215 says:

This episode is the source of one of my most favorite Xfiles quotes ever:
    Mulder: Why, is there a history of genetic abnormalities in your family?
    Scully: No.
    Mulder: Well, just find yourself a man with a spotless genetic makeup and a really high tolerance for being second-guessed and start pumping out the little uber-Scullys.
    Scully: What about your family?
    Mulder: Aside from the need for corrective lenses and the tendency to be abducted by extraterrestrials involved in an international governmental conspiracy, the Mulder family passes genetic muster.
    I crack up SO MUCH at this scene. I hope the new episode has a scene even half as funny…

7. Mr.Floppy says:

Best. Episode. Ever.
    But, please, no sequels or this will look like the season 10 comics.

• allex says:

Oh, please. As if this would be the first sequel to an episode in the franchise’s run. But good to know you already know how it will ‘look’ based on speculation and obviously without seeing a frame from the new episodes.

8. Lysh says:

I loved this episode. Despite being kinda creepy, there were some funny moments.

Sooo you know the title to the second episode, TVLine. Any ideas on the other titles?

9. AW says:

I will not be seeing this frightening episode ever again.

10. I hope so! Home is one of my favorite episodes!

11. Liam says:

I love this idea. I have faith Glen Morgan will do this right I don’t think he would agree to write the new episode if he thought it would take anything away from the original episode.

12. Melora says:

This is great news. I get the impression these new episodes are going to follow the style of the classic early seasons and hopefully nothing from Seasons 6-9 will ever be mentioned.

13. Steven says:

What is the title for the premiere?

14. Red Snapper says:

I watched all of X-files with my family growing up. It was one of the few shows we all liked. There are only a few episodes that I vividly remember watching for the first time. The two that stand out the most are the Pilot and this one. Home just creeped me out. I was probably a little to young to fully comprehend what it was about but it always stuck with me.

15. Drew says:

With all of the episodes that were begging for sequels, this is the one they go with. Weird. I never thought of this as one of the most iconic episodes or one that I wanted to see more of.

16. More likely it’s about being back ‘Home’ at the FBI as they have to set up how to get the X-files reopened in the first episode.

• ericcartman23 says:

The X-Files were never closed. Oops, someone didn’t pay attention.

• Jerry says:

Ehh. I know Chris Carter has said recently the FBI kept the X-Files open because they learned about the alien invasion, but the series finale does lean towards them being closed (don’t Doggett and Reyes walk in and the room is completely empty?)

I don’t even remember how the FBI was portrayed in the second movie.

17. Dude says:

So by “to the day” you meant, 250+ days?

18. rarefied says:

I remember how people were originally so horrifiied by that episode that they couldn’t rerun it. Now we have Hannibal.

19. Imzadi says:

Oh, please no. I watched that episodes one, when it aired for the first time and than never again. I totally creeped me out, and some images I still remember.

20. anjunor says:

Someone should have added that Glen Morgan uses a picture of the Peacock mother as avatar on his @GlenMrgn-twitter-profile

21. Viv says:

All I ask, is just a little Hank Moody in my Mulder… One sardonic, cigarette-dangling smirk and I could die a happy woman…

22. I am sitting here dying laughing. The comments are more entertaining than this article. Let’s give him a break. It was probably a slow news day and he probably had very little to work with.

23. Bob Backus says:

It’s a good guess, but I hope not. Let the best episode stand along and don’t possibly ruin it by making a sequel (ready to love it if it is a rare great sequel tho). But, other than the guesses, “Remember the freakish Peacock clan at the center of “Home”? Well, “Home Again” may out-Monster of the Week those inbred savages via “Band-Aid Nose Man.” ” that doesn’t sound like they’re having the family back. Maybe? Maybe not? Maybe just a great advertising gimmick and the title of the show on broadcast will be completely different?

24. Paul Racine says:

That episode was irresponsibly gross.

25. rockerrick says:

This is going to be soooooooooooooooooo good! X Files Rock!

26. By saying it’s significant that it’ll be the 20th anniversary of the RE-AIRING of the episode and not the original broadcast, you’re stretching reasonable evidence. The title probably means that Mulder and Scully are dealing with being back at their old jobs again. Then again, you could be right, but I think retreading ground like that would be a mistake. However, I’ve never cared for that episode.

27. Kd says:

I really liked Home, lots of great old tv references. Recently read that the story was inspired by a true Event that happened to Charlie Chaplin while traveling. i found that interesting.