Degrassi to End Its Run on TeenNick in July After 14 Seasons

Degrassi Season Premiere

It’s the end of an era, eh?

TeenNick on Thursday announced that Degrassi: The Next Generation will close its doors after 14 seasons.

An hour-long special, titled “It Goes There: Degrassi‘s Most Talked-About Moments,” will air Friday, July 31 at 8/7c, followed by the hour-long series finale at 9 pm.

“For an incredible 14 seasons, Degrassi has been a groundbreaking show tackling so many important topics that real teens face in their everyday lives,” Keith Dawkins, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Nicktoons, TeenNick and Nick Jr, said in a statement. “In the final episodes on TeenNick and through the hour-long special and social activations, we hope to say goodbye in a way that is both fitting to the show and Degrassi’s passionate fan base.”

UPDATE: Though Degrassi‘s run in the U.S. is definitely ending in July, the future of the franchise remains up in the air. The following is a statement from DHX Media regarding the Canadian-born series:

The Degrassi franchise is a perennial favourite, having been on the air for 35 years and broadcast in territories worldwide. We expect to be able to provide an update on this award-winning series in the days ahead for fans, the media and the market. Stay tuned for further developments regarding Degrassi.

Degrassi
nation, how are you holding up? Drop a comment with your reaction to this news below.

1. Lana says:

This makes me sad.

2. KN says:

For me, it been over for years and years. Loved watching it on The N. Remember The N!? Wow.

3. Ben Kabak says:

Awful news!!!

4. Mr. Tran K says:

This is the saddest news ever. The series has had familiar faces like Nina Dobrev, Shenae Grimes and Drake aka Aubrey Graham.

5. Riana says:

Teenick isn’t Degrassi’s channel though. So it is actually ending or it just no longer being broadcast in the US?

6. iHeart says:

so is it really done? or is it just going to continue on in Canada

7. Leon says:

Say it ain’t so…I thought they filmed a chunk of episodes for Season 14 and was just gonna air the second chunk this summer like they always do! There is no way in hell everything can be wrapped up in one hour.

8. BrightLight says:

I’m confused. I thought there were about 12 episodes of the season left that were supposed to start on July 20th. Maybe that was just Canada? I hope those episodes do air since they’ve already been filmed. I’m kinda sad that I will never see Maya, Tristan and the rest of the class of 2016 graduate, but that’s life.
    Anyway, this show was and will probably always be one of my guilty pleasures. I’ve been watching Degrassi since the original came out in the 80s. I actually watched the last half of Season 13 in 2 days just to catch up to watch Season 14. Once it started rehashing the same stories over and over (and I don’t just mean the ones that were on the original Degrassi), it became boring because you could guess where they what was going to happen, but I still watched it because I couldn’t let it go.

• BrightLight says:

Now I’m wondering if TeenNick is finished with Degrassi, but MTV Canada is not? No word from them yet.

• Lizo says:

Canadian TV is filmed differently than American TV. Entire seasons are filmed at once and usually decisions to end series are made after full seasons are filmed and before airing. It’s an uncommon practice in Canada that shows are cancelled abruptly. There’s a lot of communication and coordination between networks and creators; most working in tandem.

9. Are there more episodes to air before the finale? Or is 7/31 all the Degrassi that is left?

• Found the answer on a different site:

“The Canadian teen drama, which debuted in 2001, will close with a two-week finale event, kicking off with an hourlong special July 20, followed by new episodes each day of the week, ending on July 31 with the final episode.”

• BrightLight says:

Ahh now that makes sense! If you add those up, it accounts for the missing episodes I was talking about. I shall miss you, Degrassi!

10. Dante says:

This news is confusing because both MTV Canada and Teen Nick show the series. So is this like an American only cancellation like TeenNick won’t show it anymore cause I thought it was picked up for another season and they finished filming season 14 since last year. There is no way whatever episode they are going to show as a series finale will function as one since it ‘s not like the show writers and stuff knew this back then.

11. Diane says:

I am no very sad to see it end. I had never seen Degrassi before and about 6 years ago I got caught up when TeenNick ran a marathon in the summer and I haven’t missed an episode since. I honestly do not know how kids and teenagers make it through school. There is so much teasing and bulling going on for anyone that is different in anyway. That is one thing this show helped with I think. I will truly miss this show.

12. Drew says:

I read another article that said the special will be on the 20th followed by 2 weeks of new episodes everyday leading up to the final episode on the 31st. A lot of contradicting news. I am inclined to believe the Variety article versus this one just saying we are getting a special and then one final episode

13. Lisa says:

So apparently there is a one hour special on the 20th to start the 2 weeks of new episodes followed by the one hour special on the 31st leading into the last episode. I read an article that had a quote from the exec producer in there so sadly the news is true. The show is ending completely.

14. aph1976 says:

I’m not surprised by this news but i think Degrassi had a great run of 14 seasons.However the show and network may have decided with graduation with of the characters it’s time to end.

15. Christy says:

What!? Why??? I’m so sad about this. I’ve been watching it since it started.

16. Rita says:

I am heartbroken, I loved this show since the very beginning!

17. blankmixtape says:

I stopped watching after the season JT died so I can’t say I’m sad about this but I kinda just figured it would go on forever.

18. Phillip says:

I haven’t watched Degrassi since 2009 but, this is pretty sad news.

19. Jean says:

Terrible news. Even though I need to catch up with different seasons, and despite the cast changes I read of, I was hoping it could go on for a longer time.
    This is definitely one of my favorite teen dramas. I’m so glad it even got Emmy nominations.
    Episodes like ‘Tears Are Not Enough’, ‘Shout’,‘Time Stands Still’ and ‘Pride’. Wow, so many emotions. I think I’m gonna rewatch it from the start.

Talking about the members of the cast of this series , it’s so great that Shenae Grimes (90210), Nina Dobrev (The Vampire Diaries), Stacey Farber have been able to find roles on american shows. Too bad Farber’s didn’t last long. There is also Aubrey Graham ‘Drake’. I’m not a fan of his music, but it’s good that he found his path.

20. Rochelle Cunningham says:

When I heard the news about Degrassi is being canceled, I am devastated because Degrassi became part of my life. These 14 years were really dramatic especially the situation that Zoe went through. Degrassi can’t end because it was a show that I can name the characters from Seasons 1-14 and I’m not ready to say goodbye to Degrassi but in this case, goodbye Degrassi. You will be in my ❤

21. Danielle says:

Everything eventually comes to an end just never thought Degrassi would ever end lol I grew up watching this show Manny,Paige,Ellie,Spinner,Craig,Sean,JT ect. I miss that class! I stopped watching around the 6th season but I wouldn’t get sad because this totally seems like a show they’re always going to continue bringing back for future generations … I mean they did it before from the 80’s one so I can definitely can see it happening again.

22. Infinite says:

No… I’m very upset now.

23. Carl says:

It’s never been the same since they killed off JT. In the words of a friend, Degrassi: TNG should have ended with Emma and JT’s wedding.

• Lúke says:

Emma married Spinner.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Ok, I was in middle school when the show started and watched it up until H.S and yeah when JT died I haven’t watched since. This was the best teen drama show on TV and I loved it….so oh well at least it had a really good run.

24. Daphne says:

I have been watching it since I was a kid myself so this makes me feel horribly sad. I hope they dont replace it with some unrealistic fluff show.

25. David4 says:

Finally! I figured they would do one last season, the 15th, and go all out. Maybe have a school bombing and just destroy the school. The show is so insane that wouldn’t be surprising to me.

26. Davone says:

I honestly never thought this would happen…I always viewed Degrassi as the show that will continue to live on since they cycled in new cast members all the time. I guess they felt that after Claire and them graduate the remaining characters (old & new) wouldn’t be enough the sustain the show. O well it was fun while it lasted!

27. voexodus says:

Finally let this show die.

28. Dude says:

I think your information is off. Entertainment Weekly is reporting that it has not been cancelled, TeenNick is simply no longer airing it which makes sense since it’s the Canadian network that would have the power to cancel it. They’re saying that Degrassi is looking for another American network to air it on but episodes are still being produced regardless.

• Lydia says:

Teennick has always had a large stake in Degrassi and is the primary financial backer so its simply a matter of some company taking over the funding of the show. If they dont find someone to make up for the loss, the show will end for the time being. That’s the problem with the Canadian television industry, it’s so underfunded that they have to share ownership with US networks and when the US decides to backout, the show ends up getting cancelled because the Canadian networks can’t cover the losses.

• "A" Has Awaken says:

Its already funded! DHX Media owns Epitome Pictures which is home to Degrassi. They apparently already have new homes for the series but are waiting to announce it. Season 15 starts shooting on June 15th till October 9th (according to the cast, producers, and crew). The even had casting calls for 5 new characters which are now secured. Everything is fine and they are just leaving their business with Viacom (which owns TeenNick and MTV). TeenNick was never the major backer for the series. It was only the American Network that aired it. Sure, it gave some money but Epitome (for a long time till being bought by DHX Media) was the major backer.

• Dude says:

There are many cases including Saving Hope, Flashpoint and Motive that prove otherwise. Canadian networks are supremely underfunded but they don’t NEED American networks. Degrassi isn’t a high budget show that would require co-production status (like say, Vikings). We do manage to make TV without other countries.

29. alexjones says:

had no idea this show was still on

30. Patty says:

Can you please verify if it’s been cancelled on TeenNick and MTV Canada or just TeenNick? And can you also let us know when the final episodes will be showing? There seems to be a lot of confusion and there were obviously other episodes that were filmed before the finale, so I’d like to know when those will be shown. Thanks!

31. I cant believe this .. i loved the show so much its so heart breaking to have to say goodbye.. THANKS DEGEASSI I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE <3

• Dude says:

Season 15 starts filming in two weeks. It’s leaving MTV Canada and TeenNick but will continue to air on another network.

32. Diz says:

I stopped getting the channel and haven’t seen it in about 2 years. An end of an era.

33. Jalissa says:

This can not be real degrassi has been a part of life for as long as I can remember. I used to think it would still be around when I had kids and they would watch it and I could be like “hey I watched that when I was young” I really hope this isn’t the end for the series even if I can’t watch it in American television I would definitely by the DVDs so that I could still get to watch the episodes

34. jalissaware says:

I love the TV show I hope one day I can meet miles,drew,zig,dallas,maya,zoe,hunter

35. Linda says:

I’m so old enough that I watched the original Degrassi. I did watch some of the newer generation but hadn’t watched for quite awhile, I believe, it was around the time that JT was killed.

36. JIm J. says:

I think it is really odd to announce “series finale” for a show that originates from another country only for the show’s outlet within that country to fund some way to produce original episodes of that show. I wish the Canadian outlet that the current Degrassi series originates from would also confirm the end of its original run if they fail to find a new channel in both Canada and the U.S..

P.S. I refer to “Degrassi: The Next Generation” as “The Current Degrassi Series” ever since it officially dropped the “The Next Generation” pat a few years ago to avoid confusion of the other series within the “Degrassi” franchise.

37. sam says:

my life is over. there’s nothing left to live for.

• Master_K says:

Degrassi isn’t over…. This article is probably going to hurt the show since it’s so misleading…. Season 15 is about to start filming… It’s just going to be on two new broadcasters for the U.S. And Canada respectively. Teen nick and MTV Canada have chosen not to renew it but there’s already a new broadcaster in the works, just hasn’t been announced yet.

38. adriana says:

why take it away !!! are we going to be able to see claire have her baby????

39. "A" Has Awaken says:

You really should change this article. The show is only ending on Teenick & MTV Canada (which are owned by Viacom). DHX Media (which owns Epitome, home of Degrassi) is moving the show to different broadcasters. There is a season 15 and it starts filming June 15th through October 9th (or September 9th). The leads have been secured and everything is going as scheduled. So please remove this saying the show is cancelled altogether. Actors, supervisors, and production crew have said its still moving on but to stay tuned for more news and not listen to the articles saying its fully cancelled. And if you guys need sources, look them up! Its yaws job to look up those things before putting misleading articles out. At least Entertainment Weekly got their sources correct.

40. "A" Has Awaken says:

Oh and a major source for season 15 being a go is the tweet Kevin Smith tweeted out. Not sure I can post links so I’ll put what he said in quotes: “Only on @teennick. @epitomepictures is still making eps. New US partner revealed soon.

So that means, Viacom/TeenNick were a little bitter when they released their statements saying the show was ending. That’s a little low for even them tbh. Now, people believe the show is ending when its never been officially “cancelled”. TeenNick didn’t cancel the show. Looking at newer sources, it appears DHX Media is the one who pulled the show from both TeenNick and MTV hence why they tried to make it seem they cancelled the show. It was always going to go in to production for season 15 (which once again begins filming next week). So once you do your article about the show getting its new homes in Canada and the US, please refrain from saying it was “revived” and stuff. It was never ending. Look up your sources next time. Thanks. <3

41. cassandra says:

Its heartbreaking to be honest lol. Degrassi has been my favourite show since I was about 13 and I’m 25 now. No shame lol.

42. Justin says:

I love degrassi and I hate to see it go

43. SA says:

degrassi is one of the best tv shows I have watched. I will truly miss it here in Saint Lucia. (sigh)

44. Shapree says:

I’m freaking crying

45. Ali.p says:

I love Degrassi, and it’s sad that it’s ending it’s Era on Teennick… seeing the old cast members make it harder too… but Degrassi is not over all together, IT’S MOVING TO NETFLIX IN 2016!! Type in Degrassi on Netflix and see the message for yourself!!!! I’d rather have Netflix Degrassi than no Degrassi at all…

46. Brittany says:

I can’t believe they’re ending. Degrassi is an amazing show and very inspirational. Y’all should at least let the next two graduating classes graduate because we’ve already met Mya, Zoe, Tristian, and more.

47. sunjai says:

I loved this show I’m sad that its no more

48. Millie says:

Will degrassi at least make a reunion movie with like drake and that girl from the vampire diaries and basically the Cast from other seasons it would be amazing if they did and it would be such a good challenge for the producers pls let us no if degrassi would ever consider this

49. Kristy Ann Hennessy says:

I love Degrassi the original when i was a kid and when i heard they were making the next generation. I was excited. I have bought all the dvds and books. I’m a huge fan. I loved how Emma and Spinner got married. Seeing the original cast. Was upset when Joey Jeremiah left but he made the best decision possible. thankyou to the writer’s the actors who make this show possible. bit sad its ended. Maybe you can do little movies. They are always good. Thanks