X-Files Revival Casts Joel McHale as Mulder's Dubious Ally

Community Season 5 Spoilers

The Soup is out there: Joel McHale is the first guest star announced for Fox’s upcoming continuation of The X-Files, our sister site Deadline reports.

The Community star and Soup host will play Tad O’Malley, a conservative Internet news anchor who becomes an unlikely support for Mulder.

RELATED David Duchovny Deflates X-Files ‘Shippers, Nixes Gillian Anderson Dating Rumors: ‘Mulder and Scully Are Gonna Have to Be Enough’

Series creator Chris Carter reportedly is a fan of McHale’s work — which also includes a dramatic turn on Sons of Anarchy — which led to the stint.

The six-episode revival, is in production now, will premiere in on Sunday, Jan. 24. In addition to Carter and returning series leads Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny, cast members Mitch Pileggi and William B. Davis will be on hand for the event series, as will writers-producers Glen Morgan and James Wong.

Thoughts/feelings about McHale’s casting? Sound off in the comments!

1. DJ Doena says:

Might just take a look after all.

On the original series I never got farther than the first half season.

• yurie says:

Instead of watching each episode just do a google search for “must watch xfiles episodes”. You won’t be disappointed. Trust me.

• thisismenow says:

The X-Files is my summer series to watch. I watched Grey’s from start to the current season 2 years ago and have done How I Met Your Mother the Complete Series and Monk The Complete series last summer. So the series didn’t get better until Lazarus for me which I think is like 14 or 15. Now it had a rhythm going.

• Lizo says:

The show is really all over the board; when it was great, it made some of the most compelling and imaginative television that’s ever aired. When it sucked, it sucked…and sometimes it was just in the middle. I second other people’s suggestions to watch the ‘best of’ episodes. One of the few series where that actually works.

• Cartman10 says:

Yeah, the problem is that it never sucked, you’re just ignorant. Even when The X-Files wasn’t a masterpiece was still absolutely fantastic and better than any crap that’s been put on TV in the last 7 years. You have zero knowledge of TV history, sorry.

• ericcartman23 says:

That’s because you’re stupid probably. You don’t deserve the second best TV-Series of all time after The Wire.

2. yurie says:

With only 6 episodes, I hope he has a meaty role to play.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Joel McHale in the The X-Files revival? That’s something. As for his other work in Community, really don’t know where does the comedy series go from here if it’s going to be a Season 7 or not.

4. Dee says:

Yes!!! I love everything about this.

5. IMHO says:

Love Joel McHale & the X Files, should be fun.
    They have to bring back the Lone Gunmen too.

6. Anna says:

Okay, I’m probably gonna watch this now. But do you think I’ll need to watch the original series to understand the new episodes? I don’t think I’ve ever seen an episode. And before you judge me – I’m young and the show wasn’t that big in Germany, soooo it’s not even my fault…

• Simon says:

Same here. Didn’t even realize it existed until I saw it on German television a while back. Also 6 episodes sounds like a tightly constructed storyline which makes me really hopeful.

• ericcartman23 says:

You’re wrong. Historically Germany is one of the european countries in which The X-Files was more popular.

7. Gerald Christie says:

I don’t know…I like him but I just can’t take him seriously as a dramatic actor.

• RealityBites says:

It may not be a straight dramatic role. If you’re not familiar with the X-Files, they produced some of funniest black humor episodes and moments ever mixed in with the drama. Jose Chung, Humbug, Hollywood AD, Bad Blood, just to name just a few.

• jbj says:

He actually trained as a dramatic stage actor in college. I believe it was the Suzuki method, or some such. Getting into comedy was more or less a fluke. He didn’t even start doing stand-up until years after getting The Soup.

8. WenRaz says:

Jeff Winger joins X-Files. I was already excited for the series to return and this is icing on the cake.

9. Gemma Prime says:

They should also do this with Star Trek: The Next Generation. Would be great to see a few new episodes of that series.

• Melora says:

Its been nearly 22 years since TNG ended though. I do believe we will see another Star Trek Series down the road though with a new cast.

10. george says:

Ally? How’d that work out for Krycek & Spender?

11. Melora says:

As long as they focus on the stories…this should be fantastic. And hopefully they will forget everything that happened between Season 7-9

• ericcartman23 says:

Hopefully not since they created wonderful episodes in those seasons and gave birth to a child.

12. Lizo says:

Oh, what a surprising choice…but oddly perfect as well. I’m really in favour of this.

13. Drew says:

Seeing Carter attempt to write a conservative should be fun.
    Spoiler alert: he turns out to be evil.

14. Angela says:

Oooh. That sounds fun. I’ll have to check this out :). Love Joel McHale.

15. Marci says:

This should be interesting. I’ve seen Joel only in comedy roles.

16. Tina says:

The X-Files was one of my favorites in guilty-pleasure-TV. I say that because I absolutely loathe “horror,” but there was this perfect mix of black humor with Mulder’s one-liners that offset the gore and twisted the show a notch above the usual fare. I’m really looking forward to the revival and just know these guys are going to bring it!

17. Jaimek says:

Please bring Krycek back

18. abby says:

huh. love mchale but i just associate him too much with comedy! this feels weird…

19. Emma says:

Joel is my cousin, so with his casting, me and my sister finally have a reason to make the rest of the family watch the reboot (we’re the only ones in the family who watch The X-Files), so this is awesome news. :D