Disney Channel Making Tangled Series; Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi to Star

Tangled Disney Channel

And at last, Disney Channel has seen the light.

The kids’ network announced Wednesday it is developing Tangled, an animated series based on the 2010 film of the same name.

Exec-produced by Chris Sonnenburg (Enchanted) and Shane Prigmore (How to Train Your Dragon), the series will once again feature the voices of Mandy Moore as Rapunzel and Zachary Levi as Flynn Rider — excuse us, Eugene Fitzherbert — as well as music and lyrics from Alan Menken and Glenn Slater.

Set between the events of the feature film and the 2012 short Tangled Ever After, the animated series finds Rapunzel acquainting herself with her parents, her kingdom and the people of Corona, as she realizes there is so much left to learn before she can accept her royal destiny. When Rapunzel puts her crown and impending marriage on hold to seek out epic adventures, she is joined by Eugene; the plucky chameleon sidekick, Pascal; the no-nonsense horse, Maximus; the Snuggly Duckling Pub Thugs; and newcomer Cassandra, a tough-as-nails handmaiden who becomes Rapunzel’s confidant.

Tangled is currently in production with a premiere slated for 2017. Check out the concept art for the series below, then drop a comment with your thoughts.

Tangled Series Disney Channel

1. Nan says:

I’m in. My favorite Disney Animated feature of all time.

2. Tiffany says:

Come on Frozen the animated series. Finger crossed

• clint says:

rapuzel and flynn were in frozem so a frozen crossover is possible

• "A" Has Awaken says:

That won’t happen until AFTER Frozen 2 is released. But even so, that’s stretching it. A first movie, shorts, second movie, and a tv show? O_O

3. Monica says:

so excited!!!! I was hoping for a Tangled 2 but this great too!

4. I was really excited about this….And then I saw the concept art with Rapunzel having her long hair again and all my enthusiasm went out the window. I’m going to cross my fingers and hope that’s not really a bit of the show.

5. Jerome says:

They have begun production 18 at least 19 months in advance. Is that normal for an animated show?
    Also based on that key art, the new animation looks awful.

• robandco says:

It is. It takes an awful long time to animate, so usually the production is more than a year ahead of broadcast. That is why animated series often air new material several months/years after they are canceled.

• ZMaX says:

Yes! A show can be in production for years depending on the episode count and production quality. A single 22 minute episode takes around 6 months to make from Script to final product. They work on several episodes at a time with each episode moving along through all the different departments.

These are great character designs. Reminisint of Shiyoon Kim’s designs from the film’s end credits. I’m really excited it’ll be 2D but whether the animation is good is yet to be seen. But it’s Disney so I’m banking on quality 2D and not Flash

• dman6015 says:

Sure. It takes a good 3 years to make an animated movie, so 18 months out for a TV show is about right.

6. Check your punctuation, please, when listing the characters. :-)

7. Clester says:

Why does Rapunzel have long hair in that concept art?

• JohnD says:

I wondered that, too. It’s possible they’ll bring it back through some kind of plot contrivance, since it’s a well-known part of the character…but it’s short again in the Ever After film. So who the hell knows?

8. I was into it until I saw that awful concept art.

• ZMaX says:

I was skeptical until I saw the concept art. Haha It’s beautiful!

Awesome designs with great use of shapes and straights vs curves. The personalities really come through too.

The show has some truly talented artists working on it.

9. Will says:

Tangled was surprisingly good! Glad to see (based on the concept art) that the series will most likely be in 2D Animation versus CGI!!

10. Liz says:

This is amazing news! Any time I get to see Pascal I’m thrilled! Love this movie and can’t wait to see this show!

• bytemebill says:

What I loved most was that Pascal and Maximus don’t even say a word yet you know exactly what they are trying to say :)

11. Lizo says:

Oh what a great idea. I loved Tangled.

12. robandco says:

Why the need of a concept art? They have a full-length movie to draw from. The concept art looks just like the movie anyway. I would have stuck with the CGI of the movie, since it is Disney anyway and they own the stuff.

• ZMaX says:

Well artistically speaking, it makes sense that they want to try something slightly different and play around with the designs for a 2D version. It is different from the final look of the film, more “cartoony”

And a 3D series in the quality of the film would be way too expensive. The film is around 100 min (totals the running time of 5 episodes) and cost $260 million dollars. An entire series would be insane lol

But yeah, even for film sequels, you do everything from scratch. You do concept art, make new 3D models etc. Reusing the old work doesn’t do anyone any favors. And the work/look does improve with each film.

• robandco says:

Indeed I figured the smooth animation of Tangled required some serious cash. But there are some good children CGI animated series that run on much lower budget. I mean if they have all the polygons and animations ready from the movie and the short films they could just use them.
        I really like the new CGI Disney movies, but since all their characters look the same, I wish they would stick with traditional cartoons because they used to all have a distinct universe in the drawing, like Hercules or Mulan. If you take Tangled, Frozen and Big Hero 6 and put all the characters in the same frame there is absolutely no way of telling which one are from what movie.
        I wonder what happen to all the concept art if it is to just have the same look over and over.

• ZMaX says:

True, with all the technology advancements it’s getting more affordable to do great 3D work, but there’s still a lot of room to grow.

Yeah, that is one of the biggest disappointments watching most CG films. All the beautiful and dynamic designs get watered down to a single streamlined look. Other studios are a bit better at keeping unique styles for their films but Disney is very set in its ways. Usually Jin Kim is the artist that basically takes the visual development and Disneyfies it into the final look we all know. He’s incredibly talented but I don’t know why Disney needs to do that :/ But you should definitely check out the “Art of (Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6 etc.) Books” they are full of incredible development work.

13. Imzadi says:

My god, I think I will actually have to watch this, even if I’m 30 years older than the target group. I really loved it and think it was better than Frozen.

• c-mo says:

Phew, I thought I was the only one who felt that way! I was over Frozen even before the movie ended but I have been known to watch Tangled even when there are no kids around to make it look like I’m just enjoying kid-time. YAY Disney!!!!

• AddieM says:

Yes..this^^
        I have watched Frozen about 3 times but I always zone out, fall asleep or end up finding something better to entertain me so I’ve actually no idea what 3/4 of Frozen is all about..but Tangled is amazing, I can watch it all by my lonesome and laugh out loud so much

• Fran says:

Wow, glad others feel the same way! I thought Tangled was a million times better than Frozen. Never understood why it doesn’t get more credit.

14. Lysh says:

Yessss I loved Frozen! Seems like Zachary is doing a lot lately. Good for him.

15. The Carpooler says:

Perhaps, in line with Star Wars, Lion King 1.5 and Fast and Furious, this series takes place in the interim after Flynn and Rapunzel meet and before the hair cutting finale to the movie.

That said, why is everyone so quick to hate on it based on one article? I’m all in, and I’m a dad…well outside the target demo.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Why is everyone so quick to hate on it based on one article?”

Because Internet :(

• The Carpooler says:

Yes, this.

AND, as an added bonus, you’ve FINALLY replied to one of my posts. I can now die happy. :)

16. JoshMom says:

If Zachary Levi is in, then I’m definitely in.

17. Kit says:

I hope this means that Mandy’s dreadful Disney Junior cartoon (Sheriff Callie’s Wild West) is done. I assume this addition monetizing of Tangled has been in the works for a while, as their stage adaptation of Tangled is hitting Disney Cruise Lines this fall. Get Menken his EGOT alrerady!

18. Jill says:

Major Disney geek out here! So excited! I loved the movie!

19. AddieM says:

I’m glad Zachary Levi is in…

20. Samuel Morin says:

What will be the animation company creating the show?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Produced by Disney Television Animation, the series was developed by animation veterans Chris Sonnenburg (Disney’s “Enchanted”) and Shane Prigmore (“The Lego Movie”).”

21. Kris says:

I was hoping for a film sequel but this is great too! Can’t wait!

22. Susan says:

Loved Tangled! Zachary Levi”s characterization made that movie. I look forward to watching it on Disney.

23. Abby says:

That sounds awesome!!! It’s so great to see the original voices come back for a TV series. That doesn’t happen that often. Or it does for, like, one episode and then changes. Yay! Can’t wait to watch.

24. Drewer says:

This is really exciting, but i don’t want to wait until 2017-that’s so far away.

25. Kristina says:

OMG!!! My favorite Disney movie! Yay!!!!

26. bytemebill says:

Oh nice! There could be so many crazy adventures with the goofy guys from the Snuggly Duckling! Tangled is my favorite Disney flick so I think it should do well as a series.

27. nsmx1 says:

i wonder what happened to tron uprising. no season 2? sadlyf

28. tsevca says:

Penguins were the only one good show based on animated movie. I´d rather see the sequel.