ABC Family's Stitchers: 5 Things to Know About the Death-Defying Drama

Stitchers ABC Family

Already a hub for liars, fosters and baby daddies, ABC Family on Tuesday will introduce us to Stitchers (9/8c), a show about a college student named Kirsten who inserts herself into the minds of the deceased in order to solve cases for a secret government agency.

Sounds like a lot to take in, right? We agree, which is why TVLine invited star Emma Ishta to explain the science behind the series — fabricated though it may be — and to dispel a few of the myths.

1. The science, sadly, isn’t real. Ishta’s character is recruited because of her mental disorder, temporal dysplasia, which “prevents her from perceiving the passage of time and disables her from connecting with her emotions,” Ishta explains. “The moment something happens to her, it’s like it’s always been the case.” That said, Ishta also admits the condition isn’t real — even if a certain someone set up a Wikipedia page for it.

2. Kirsten will grow. Despite her seemingly cold nature, Ishta’s character will develop as she stitches herself into more brains. “When she stitches into people, she feels the emotions that they feel, which leaves her with residual emotions,” she explains. “That’ll be a massive part of her journey over the course of the season; to become an emotional being after spending years this way is huge.”

3. Go on, ‘ship away! As you’ll see in the premiere, the chemistry between Ishta and Kyle Harris, who plays Cameron — Kirsten’s stitcher guide of sorts — is electric. “You’ll watch their friendship blossom, and while I don’t think their relationship will develop in the most expected way, it’ll definitely happen in a way people will enjoy,” Ishta teases. As for TV’s general ‘shipping culture, she admits, “I just found out what ‘OTP’ means recently. I had to ask my niece!”

4. Answers are coming. Unlike some shows — which manage to stretch one mystery over, say, six seasons — Stitchers offers instant gratification in terms of answering fans’ burning questions. One major aspect the series will explore is Kirsten’s mysterious past, as Ishta says her character “has very little recollection of being younger.”

5. The water is warm. Because stitching requires Kirsten to be almost entirely submerged in water, Ishta spends quite a bit of time in the set’s giant tank — but she assures us it’s a very humane process. “We have one tank day per episode … and I’d spend upwards of six hours in the water on any given day,” she explains. “You don’t want to drink a lot of coffee in the morning, because then you’ll be getting in and out a lot. And they kept it at room temperature, so I was never cold… but I did get pruney.”

Will you be checking out the Stitchers premiere? Drop a comment with your thoughts on ABC Family’s new series below.

1. Is dysplasia spelled right? That is a thing. Not what it is on this show, but Google says it is a thing.

2. five_by_five says:

I will definitely watch this show. A lead that is not whining all the time is awesome and a first for ABC Fam.

3. smartysenior says:

I have no idea what any part of that sentence means. I think the writer needed to explain Shipping culture OTP to those of us reading the review for information about the show.

• rarefied says:

“Shipping” = fans pairing up couples into relationships. “OTP” = One True Pairing – the couple a fan ships above or to the exclusion of all others.

4. Alyse says:

I watched the pilot and I really liked it!

5. Dean says:

It kind of reminds me of a show Eliza Dushku did a couple years ago.

6. Jess says:

will be checking it out tonight.

7. LK says:

Interesting that this show is opposite IZombie which has the same general “reading the mind of the deceased ” angle.

8. Infinite says:

Ya’ll see that shade they threw? Lol “Unlike some shows — which manage to stretch one mystery over, say, six seasons” Pretty Little Liars is still one of the best shows they done.

9. Cory says:

Kind of like a sci-fi blend of iZombie and Tru Calling. I really enjoyed the pilot, considerably more than I thought I would. Definitely gonna be watching this summer.

10. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

I watched the pilot and it seemed very cheap. Is this a Canadian production? It looked like a cheap mash-up of Continuum, Intelligence, Tru Calling and Dollhouse (all of which were cancelled after short runs). I am officially tired of characters with Autism spectrum disorders. Lazy writers use this as shorthand for why character are emotionally distant and rude. So that they can GROW. Eyeroll. I would have believed this more if she had had an accident and it had changed her brain and she was desperate to use this crappy technology circa 1990 to feel again. Finally I didn’t appreciate the dated racist trope of the secret headquarters of the spy organisation being accessed via a Chinese restaurant. The only good thing I can say about the pilot is that it had a lot of POCs and women.

11. Delirious says:

So I guess I’m not the only one getting some massive Dollhouse vibes here?

PS. if you haven’t watched it, and you’re into sci-fi/fantasy shows (eg. Fringe, for example), make sure you do asap.

12. curtlyon19 says:

while a tad derivative, the cast is great and the pilot is good fun!
    I intend to watch even tho (here I go) it’s on heavily estrogen ABCFam

13. The Kaibosh says:

For those of us who work, OTP most obviously = on the phone.

14. Piper says:

What is the next episode of stickers about and do the guy and Kirsten kiss again at all or was it just a one time thing or does she really&I mean really really really really really really really really really
    Really really really really really really really really really really really
    Like I’m and imbue

15. Chyba, że od razu przyjmujemy standatowo 4500 kWh rocznie, chyba że jest znana cena podgrzewania cwu dotychczas (np wyliczona z faktur w mieszkaniach).

16. Piper says:

will Cameron and Kirsten kiss again at all or will they just stay friends or will they start to date

17. seen the pilot was differnt as the show went on made me wantt to know more about it at the end makes you want to be able to keep watching episodes one after another i hope this series keeps going unlike some of the other series that stoped way to soon like make it or break i charles

18. Jess says:

When I was a kid, I had two episode of temporal dysplasia. My perception of time stopped and I thought I was frozen in time for a few seconds until I realized I could still see leaves moving and hear birds singing. It only happened those two times. I had been standing perfectly still in the woods both times. I was around 10 years old.