The Whispers Preview: Is ABC's New Summer Drama Really About Aliens?

You’ve probably heard a lot of whispers about ABC’s new mystery drama — something about creepy children and imaginary friends, possibly with an extraterrestrial twist — but star Barry Sloane suggests you block out the noise and let the show speak for itself.

“By the end of Episode 4, you’ll know exactly what it is we’re dealing with,” Sloane tells TVLine about The Whispers, premiering Monday at 10/9c. “We don’t drag [the mystery] out for 13 episodes. You’re learning as the characters are learning, and the whole thing takes place in nine days.”

What we do know about The Whispers is that it also stars Lily Rabe (American Horror Story) as Claire Bennigan, an FBI agent following a string of violent incidents, all of which involve children and their shared imaginary friend named “Drill.” But despite The Whispers‘ super-human aspects — whatever they may be — there’s also a great deal of relatable human drama, particularly when it comes to Sloane’s character’s home life.

“He’s a father and a husband, first and foremost, and he’s very driven in his professional life,” Sloane explains of Wes, a high-ranking official with the United States Department of Defense. “I mean, the guy above him is the Secretary of Defense, so he’s done quite well for someone in his mid-30s. But the story picks up at a time when his life is starting to spiral. He’s coming off an affair with [Claire], which has been revealed and he’s trying to rebuild the relationship with his wife and daughter.”

And as you’ll see in the first few episodes, the spark between Wes and Claire is far from snuffed.

“There’s a definite connection between them, but they’re going to try to make the best moral decisions to make their family lives work,” Sloane says. “Claire’s in a slightly different position after losing her husband; Wes has been allowed to make amends. Wes and Claire are like magnets, so it’ll be interesting to watch them struggle to pull apart.”

Will you be checking out The Whispers‘ premiere tonight? Drop a comment with your thoughts on ABC’s deliberately vague new drama below.

1. bar says:

Better question! Is it worth watching?

2. wrstlgirl says:

I’ll be watching.

3. Susannah says:

I’m going to check it out. It may not be great, sort of like Wayward Pines but I still really appreciate having new, scripted shows in the summer to watch and want to support them.

4. JBC says:

I hadn’t intended to watch, but after reading this interview with Barry Sloane, I think I will give it a shot. I like when a show doesn’t draw things out too long and he said that we will learn what we are dealing with by the end of 4th episode. Good.

5. Nan says:

I thought it was about supernaturals [ghosts, poltergeists etc.], not aliens. Not sure I’d care for it if it’s space travelers.

6. rinaex says:

“there’s also a great deal of relatable human drama”

AKA lots of soap and kids behaving stupidly and constantly having to be rescued.

Eh, I’ll give it a shot.

7. Reblogged this on Reading Other People and commented:
    I’d watch anything with Lily Rabe so I’m obligated to give this show a shot.

8. Jess says:

Watching this and great summer shows are Under the Dome, Extant and Rookie Blue.

9. Hmmmm says:

Is it a requirement that every new show lately involve a male lead who has cheated on his wife? What is that? Why can’t TV depict healthy, happy relationships any longer?

10. Jasenia says:

I just checked abc and it isn’t on tonight what’s going on???

11. Jo-y says:

I can not wait for the Whispers series to start. Who or what is the imaginary friend? The commercials about the series really sucked me in. Hope it lives up to my expectations.

12. Anne says:

Not sound except for background music? Why no voices?

13. Jo says:

Great Show, it really moved and had a lot going on, I was very interested, couldn’t stop watching, I felt it really grabbed me, I’m in, I liked it a lot! Lily Rabe is a great actress!

14. Bruce Wayne says:

Unlike most new shows, I liked the cast in the very first episode. It moved at a good pace, and I was surprised when the hour was up. He’s no ‘Hero,’ but it’s good to see Milo back on TV.

15. I just saw episode one and already like it. The fact that it has Lily Rabe and Milo Ventimiglia in is a bonus and I must say the kids acting in the episode really did their acting pretty well. The show already shows potential so if the rest of the season is this awesome, I hope there is a season 2